User Reviews for Nifedipine

Also known as: Adalat, Adalat CC, Afeditab CR, Nifediac CC, Nifedical XL, Procardia, Procardia XL

Learn more about Nifedipine.

Nifedipine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Raynaud's Syndrome.

Reviews for Nifedipine to treat Raynaud's Syndrome

"I do not have circulation issues, but I do have Reynauds likely as a result of Lupus. I also have BP on the low side. I take this once a day in the winter and have not noticed any of the side effects mentioned (headaches, dizziness) but my already-bad leg/foot cramps get much worse -- sometimes debilitating. To counteract that, I take magnesium in the form of Calm at night...my cramps are much better!! I guess I recommend both... I am wondering what time of day is best to take this..I can have sleep issues and don't want to make that worse."

cold hands December 19, 2015

"I have just been diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome due to my very insufficient vascular blood flow in my legs. I have been nifedipine for 2 days and my feet toes and upper legs are already warmer."

Old Bat December 4, 2015

"the past several winters the tips of some of my toes turned black and were ice cold , but would return to normal when the weather warmed up. I had tests done at a vascular specialist and had some diminshed circulation to my feet but nothing that required any type of surgery . I was prescribed Nefedipine and within a week or two my toes returned to normal and my feet were much warmer . I only take this drug during the colder months"

eel125 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

Procardia (nifedipine): "This medication is a miracle for me. I have been diagnosed with raynauds over 40 yrs ago and the past 10 yrs I have been taking Procardia. Feels like I don't even suffer from this disease anymore. I highly recommend this drug"

lgj2 July 7, 2015

"Diagnosed few years ago. Started on Adalat and holy moly I got use of my hands back in winter. Absolutely amazing. Canada is freaking cold around minus 30 so you can imagine how that works with raynauds. I also have high blood pressure so in my case it is one pill does two jobs."

nicknamepicker May 23, 2015

"First off I am from England so this drug did not cost a penny, also I am under sixteen and have severe raynauds. My whole hands go white usually 1-3 times a day. It's awfully painful and very annoying so I went to the doctor who prescribed 5mg of Nifedipine 3 times a day. It was great, my fingers and toes stayed normal and I felt fine. I did experience some bad dizziness and nausea for about 3 days so returned to the surgery and they lowered my dose. Since then I have felt comely fine and it's stopped my Raynaud's. The days I have forgotten to administer the drug my fingers have gone back to there old routine so it just proves it works."

Charliee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

Adalat (nifedipine): "NIfedipine helps"

robmag December 22, 2014

Procardia (nifedipine): "I started the nifedipine/Procardia this morning. About 4 hours later the rare side effects kicked in. Heart palpitations, dizziness, headache, and I was FREEZING. Even at 43 I still call my mommy. She wasn't thrilled I was going to take it anyway since I have perfect blood pressure. But she recommended laying on my left side. That did help even if it did take awhile for me to get warm again. The headache is still lingering."

jazzNwine (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2014

Adalat (nifedipine): "I took this for my Raynaud's and it did help when it was cold, but when I was warm I found myself getting really hot and sweaty when no-one else was. Another thing is DO NOT DRINK WHILE ON THIS TABLET! I did one night and had lots of problems. Apart from that it does what it says."

Joe-S (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 9, 2014

Adalat (nifedipine): "Taken for migraines, this also 100% removed my Raynauds"

Mom from Indy December 17, 2013

"I have been taking 1 tablet of Nifedipin(e) XL 30 mg ER for almost 2 years. I stop in the summer and start again when it gets cold and that works well for me. I haven't had any of the side effects such as rashes or headaches but I have been very tired and now that I think of it, it's probably because I've been taking it during the day instead of at night like I used to. The only problem with that is if you like to have a cocktail and for times like that I just don't take it."

Maggiie October 31, 2013

"Works well and helps with hand pain from tendonitis."

eleith (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 15, 2013

Adalat (nifedipine): "It works very well to control Raynaud's. It makes a huge difference."

DaisyMa (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 7, 2013

"I do notice a difference! Headaches were a problem at first but then they went away after about two weeks. You recover quicker from a attack. My left middle finger is completely normal but my right middle finger still a little purple but better for sure! Going to take for the winter months!"

Missyjay8102 January 30, 2013

Adalat (nifedipine): "I've had no numbness in my fingers or toes since starting this medicine. Before starting I could not even carry a jug of milk without my fingers losing color from lack of blood flow. Even driving with mittens on was a problem. Now circulation is great. Only complaint is the terrible headaches and tiredness and a bit of insomnia. Still trying to decide what's worse....the headaches or the numbness all winter. "

Petulz (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2012

"It works okay for mild to moderate cold exposure but not for long term or very cold temperatures."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2012

"Raynaud's primary syndrome diagnosed 1997. Nothing happened until 2011 when I had a blood clot in my left calf. My toes started to turn purple and hospital had decided to amputate my L leg 3" below knee. I went online and found Nifedipine XL. Had my Dr order it for me and in 2 weeks it calmed my pain in foot so it healed. All the skin peeled off with some toe nails and today I'm on 60mg once daily. Now, I've noticed that whenever my body has a stressful event-migraine chronic (botox) helps so much. But, when I do get a migraine that happens when my next shot is close to due date (every 3 months) I'll get an aura with migraine and my Raynauds will kick in more with the itching at first. Don't scratch-running water over it."

Cal-louise July 8, 2012

"I am 55 years of age and have primary Raynaud's. Onset was at about age 45 and for many years I just wore multiple pairs of gloves and used hand warmers when out in cold weather, or avoided cold weather activity. I finally asked my doctor about medication when it became difficult to even grocery shop in the freezer section or go to stores and restaurants that were very cool. I was tired of wearing gloves in the summer! I have taken nifedipine for about nine months (all winter) and it has been great. No side effects to report and even notice that I have a better sense of touch when feeling for pulses (I am a nurse)."

TinkerToy March 15, 2012

"I am 33 and have SLE with Raynaulds. I do not have high blood pressure, I am actually on the low side. I took this medicine at 3:30 pm and by 5pm I developed a severe headache, this headache continued all evening and at 9:30pm I was shaking severely, dizzy, and the headache was the worst one I have ever experienced. At that point I started to get very scared. Called my brother over just in case I needed to go to the ER. When he arrived he immediately wanted to call an ambulance. I ended up waiting it out and finally the shaking subsided. The headache still continued the next day, but it was not as severe. The night when everything was going on, I do not remember much of anything. I think from now on I will just keep my blue fingers and toes."

jme7278 March 9, 2012

"I rated this at 50% because I'm not quite sure what's going on and how I feel about it. I have Raynaud's syndrome and my hands and feet are constantly cold, blue, white, etc. If I'm in the heat or long showers, my feet turn bright red and get painful. If I'm doing physical activties my hands get red and swollen. Anyway, I took this medicine for the first time at about 8:30 last night. It's now 4am and my feet are bright red, swollen, and painful, and my only minor relief is to keep my feet elevated (which can get tricky at work). They are warm, and my hands are warm, which is much different than usual, but this swelling is very bothersome. I'm not sure which is worse- before the meds or now. Right now, I think I'd rather take the cold."

Anonymous January 16, 2012

"I get particularly bad pain, occasional numbness and lack of motor control in my hands and feet due to quite severe Raynauds. It makes many ordinary tasks like getting out of the sea at the beach incredibly difficult, dangerous and painful. Thankfully my introduction to this wonderful medication means that my attacks are much less frequent, and my partner has remarked at the noticeable sudden warmth in my usually cold as ice hands and feet. The only real drawback is that without a satisfactory amount of food it collaborated with my naturally low blood pressure to make me feel faint, it does not mix well with alcohol and it does not seem to prevent emotion based attacks. None the less, I can carry on living my life normally with it."

Anonymous September 25, 2011

Adalat (nifedipine): "Its good."

sinu July 23, 2011

"I have experienced many ways of taking nifedipine and to get rid of the headaches. My doctors has me taken 30 mg XL 3 times a day instead of 90 mg once a day and I got rid of the headaches and all those other symptoms that you sometimes get."

tanning girl July 13, 2011

"I recently started taking Adalat CC. I have found that if I take it before bed instead of mornings I don't get headaches but if I take it in the morning I feel funny and have a headache for most of the morning. I have found that I still have Raynaud's attacks but I recover somewhat better and I don't get as numb as I did but still get splotchy on hands and some blueness shows sometimes."

Anonymous March 19, 2011

Procardia (nifedipine): "I have found this medicine very helpful. There was an adjustment period with headaches and dizziness. But it did get better, and the improvements are well worth it."

Anonymous February 9, 2011