User Reviews for Nicotine

Also known as: Commit, Habitrol, Leader Nicotine Polacrilex, Nicoderm CQ, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Nicorette DS, Nicotrol Inhaler, Nicotrol NS, Nicotrol TD, ProStep

Learn more about Nicotine.

Nicotine review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Nicotine to treat Smoking Cessation

Review by daddydon64 (taken for less than 1 month):

Nicotrol TD (nicotine): I experienced good overall satisfaction with this product. I have tried many times throughout my life but with this transdermal product I am having a good experience.

September 17, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Taya_aya (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been using the patch for almost a week now and normally I would smoke 10-12 cigarettes a day, and during this past week I've only had 4 or 5. I don't feel the need to smoke like I used to. However, I notice that after about 15 minutes of putting the patch on, the area gets very itchy for about 30 minutes. There have been days where I feel very weak and tired, and sometimes nauseous and dizzy. My biggest complaint is having a hard time falling asleep. But I rather lose a little sleep than to keep smoking. These patches really do work.

September 15, 2014 12:02 AM

Review by babsy 46:

I've been on nicotine (various products) for nearly 15 yrs, and I feel great, I run twice a week 5k, and eventually will stop, but as it is, I don't smoke and each time I stop the patch I find I have to go get a cigarette- hence I stay on a low dose. I don't smoke and that my friend is what matters.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by tshwaedi (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nicorette (nicotine): Experienced severe constipation and weak erection.

June 5, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by very itchy:

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): I smoked for 32 years and tried different times and products to help me stop but always failed. My doctor and I agreed for me to try the Nicoderm CQ patch and it's really helping me. I have no urges to smoke and am now on Day 8. The only thing I found out is that I have red swollen itchy skin where the patches were worn. Need to talk to the doctor but office is closed on the weekends. I'm thinking I could be allergic to them but don't want to stop them because they are working for me

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by CJeanroy:

Nicorette (nicotine): Have been an on and off smoker for more than 30 years. Just started with the lozenges. They work fantastic. I only take them when I feel a craving coming on. I do not need 1 every 1-2 hours. Definitely give these a try. I had started my commitment the first of the year ... cold turkey. I was really having terrible cravings. I didn't want to fail at this so I purchased the lozenges. They are just enough to keep me from buying that pack of cigarettes. Day 19 ... smoke free and have saved approximately $54.00 so far.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 5:49 PM

Review by tallstevie23:

I definitely believe that the patch works and I have quit smoking with it. The only problem I'm having is where my patch goes on I've received some blisters after use. I do not think this is normal.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 10:00 AM

Review by joeline (taken for less than 1 month):

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): Day 6 and I have not had a cigarette. No struggle with withdrawal symptoms seems like a puff on the inhaler solves that issue. Glad I decided to try this. I believe I will make it this time.

November 1, 2013 1:03 AM

Review by Mr.. O (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Commit (nicotine): After 38 years of smoking, the time to quit came at the age of 50 for me. When I saw my youngest son taking up smoking and my brand too I knew it was time. For that is the way I started and history does repeat itself. When I asked my son not to smoke he just said "if you stop I'll stop". I told him how niether the patch nor the gum worked for me. He told me of how Commit worked for a friend of his. Well, I made the first attempt and gave up after three days. I promised him I would try again in one week, I did and now I have not smoked for 4 years and 8 months. And with commit it WAS easier than I could hope for. I followed the suggestions given and as I began to, as Dr.Oz put it, breathe free, I just had to go on. It took two months.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 1:20 PM

Review by It's Me55:

Nicoderm CQ (nicotine): I used to smoke for more than (20 ) years. My daughter showed me a book that had pictures of a smokers lungs. See than asked, Daddy do you want your lungs to look like this? This made me realize what is important to me. Immediately the following day, I went to the store asked for a garbage can, and I threw my last pack away. Bought me a two week supply of NicodermCQ and that was the last time I have smoked a cigarette. Which was 6 years ago. Thank for the extra assistance with working towards a better way of life.

March 4, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by Yazooliu:

Habitrol (nicotine): I started Habitrol because when I quit drinking alcohol, I started smoking and eating everything in sight. The Habitrol not only curbed my craving for alcohol, it curbed ALL of my cravings for substances I've struggled with for years. I stopped using the patch for 2 days, and ate a whole batch of brownies to keep from drinking or smoking. Don't know how this story will end, but whatever is in this product is a blessing to those of us suffering with addictions.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 6:03 PM

Review by pbandami (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Nicotrol NS (nicotine): After trying 8 different smoking cessation meds, 5 of them prescription only, my doctor put me on Nicotrol Nasal Spray. It is the only medicine that has ever worked for more than a month. Best thing is, my insurance company has a policy of NO CO-PAY for prescription smoking cessation medications. So no cost to me whatsoever. How great is that? From a health insurance company, no less. They finally came to their senses and realized that it is much cheaper to pay a small amount up front to encourage people to quit smoking rather than pay millions on the end when long-term smokers contract cancer - prevention as opposed to treatment.

September 6, 2012 6:09 AM

Review by Bummed:

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): I've been a smoker for 28 years and have been trying everything ( patches, gum, etc.) to quit for 10 years. I started using the Nicotrol Inhaler a week ago, and have not smoked one cigarette since. Unfortunately I'm going to have to stop using the inhaler because of the side effects. Extreme dizziness, fatigue, a spacey feeling, insomnia, and low blood pressure, and I've only been using two of the recommended six nicotine cartridges. Real shame, because I felt like it was starting to help me, and now I'll have to go cold turkey which has never worked for me in the past.

April 26, 2012 10:49 AM

Review by tyr3$ha12340987:

Commit (nicotine): It works, but it gave me gas and diarrhea.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2012 9:37 PM

Nicorette (nicotine): I have smoked for almost thirty years and I was able to quit with the gum. I started out by using the 4mg gum and chewing two pieces at a time but I finally got to the 2mg and I'm still chewing two pieces at a time. It's been 2 yrs now and now I'm losing my wife over this gum. My sex drive is gone.

November 20, 2011 6:20 PM

Nicorette (nicotine): After 30 years of less than a pack a day I tried this gum (the patch, cold turkey, worked for a period of time) and I have to say it works well in that it eliminates the desire, quickly. I have limited my use to six pieces a day and I generally have the urge when I would normally take a break at work - really seems to take the craving away and I'm getting a lot more work done, for sure! Stick with it - I'm about to wean off (hopefully) using regular sugar-free gum as a substitute. Good luck!

November 8, 2011 9:10 PM

Commit (nicotine): I quit smoking with Commits help for five years. We sold our home and moved a 1000 miles and had a new home built. It happened fast and I was so stressed I started smoking again. It's been a year and six months and I am now back on Commit again. Problem is, I used them for the entire five years. I started having a lot of cavities and that worried me. Don't know if it was the constant use or not. They also gave me uncontrollable gas. It went away when I stopped use. These are still better than cancer. They do work.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2011 6:49 PM

My mother smoked for over 50 years and was recently in hospital for pneumonia. She had to be put on the patch (21 mg) while in there. I am thrilled to say that it has been 16 days and she has not even thought about a cigarette. I say that is a miracle because she always had to have an extra pack of cigarettes so she would not run out! Thank you for a great product!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2011 9:12 AM

Nicorette (nicotine): I had smoked for 35 years, average of 1 to 2 packs a day. I have tried the medications, the patch, gums, etc., many times through the years. Finally, a couple of years ago a friend offered me the Commit lozenges. I really wanted to quit this time, so I tried them. I was able to give up smoking. But, I continued to crave so I bought the gum and have alternated between the gum and lozenges every since. I don't want to go back to smoking and have yet to find anything that says how bad it is to continue the gum, so as long as I am not smoking and still want a cigarette every now and then, I will continue to chew the gum, as needed.

July 12, 2011 5:29 PM

Review by karenissmokefree:

Commit (nicotine): I want to thank Commit. It was the only thing that helped me to quit smoking. I have been 2 years smoke free. So thank you for helping me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2011 4:47 PM

Review by bobbijordan:

Nicorette (nicotine): I smoked for almost 50 years. Started using the Nicorette minis 7 months ago. Have not had a cigarette since started using the minis. Tried patches, cold turkey, etc., but these really help. Like some of the other posters here, I seem to be hooked on the Nicorettes. Told my doctor but he didn't seem concerned, called the 800# on the insert for the Nicorettes and since they have not done studies for the FDA etc after the recommended 12 week period, they could not say if continued use was dangerous or not But would like to get off them too. However, do not want to start smoking again, so will just keep on using the minis. Wish me luck and same to all of you.

June 6, 2011 11:10 AM

Review by robertlewis:

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): I was a smoker for about 35 years smoking as much as 3 packs a day. Although there is no magic when it comes to quitting this product helped a great deal. The whole hand to mouth thing and it is like smoking without the smoke. With this and a lot of hard candy and determination I quit about 4 months ago. If I can do it, you can too.I am loving not spending 5-6 dollars a day on cigarettes.

May 5, 2011 9:58 AM

Review by athenroy:

I've been a 1 to 2 pack a day smoker for over 40 years. I purchased a supply of Equate(Walmart Brand) 4 Mg nicotine gum and have used it for the last week. I find it lasts longer than a cigarette and usually do not even use the recommended 9 pieces a day. You do need to follow the chewing instructions which are more like using chewing tobacco than gum. If you chew too fast you can get the hiccups but aside from that, it has worked wonders. Of course, you have to "want" to quit first! Good luck to all, hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2011 9:32 PM

Commit (nicotine): I'm convinced the Lozenge has saved my life. For me, the patch was awful. I chewed the gum so hard my jaw was very painful. The lozenge was perfect, especially since I was a chewer of tobacco, not a smoker. After my first child was born, I knew I needed to quit and finally got committed (no pun intended). I have been tobacco free for about 5 years, but like others, I still use lozenge's daily. I will make an attempt to get off them as I've had some stomach or intestinal pains lately. Still a way better choice than all the cancer causing things in the tobacco.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2010 5:44 AM

Review by John1984:

Nicotrol Inhaler (nicotine): I had been smoking for 9 years. I was extremely skeptical of ever quitting. My main problems were when I tried to go cold turkey my fuse became super short and I would have panic attacks but this inhaler has helped tremendously. I have been smoke free for 7 months now and I do need to say it has been the hardest thing I have ever accomplished.

August 15, 2010 2:34 AM