User Reviews for Niaspan

Learn more about Niaspan.

Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 1 reviews 28 medications

High Cholesterol 22 reviews 41 medications

6.1
Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperlipoproteinemia...lomicrons VLDL 0 reviews 23 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Niaspan reviews 23 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Niaspan

Review by Trainhard (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For High Cholesterol: Off it completely for 2 days now. Acid reflux much better and more importantly no Pronounced heart beats or racing. Feeling normal again thank God. I truly believe after my experience with both Niaspan and Crestor is that they actually starve your heart of the Oxygen it needs if your an athlete. Heart rate problems or potential Arrhythmia's may not be revealed in people who have more sedentary lifestyles. The fact that the new recommendation is to stack COQ10 with the statins should prove that they can rob your heart of energy when you work it hard during intense exercise.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 12:45 AM

Review by Trainhard (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For High Cholesterol: Posted about a year ago here after I first started a 500 mg nightly regimen of Niaspan. For awhile it appeared as though I would not have the usual side effect of burning skin. However, the Acid reflux I began experiencing began to worsen over time along with gastric problems at night. Then as an active person who is involved in teaching Cardio Boxing classes I began to experience weird feelings in my chest along with a more pronounced heart beat during and after exercise. Felt like I swallowed a Basketball at times. Also could not have any alcohol Beer or Wine while taking this. I decided to stop taking it in fear of creating an Arrythmyia or Stroke during my exercise which also is my Job. This is day one off of it and feel better.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 10:49 PM

Review by GLAD TO BE ALIVE (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Cholesterol: Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2014 9:04 AM

Review by Trainhard:

For High Cholesterol: Age 51. Went to get my regular bloodwork with my Doctor. My cholestral has always been >200 and have a family history of Heart Attack and stroke. I tried everything over the years including Crestor which was an absolute disaster for me after only 4 doses. Since then tried the natural methods Red Yeast Rice (may as well be on a statin the side effects are basically the same) and lots of fish and Krill oil. I was disappointed that my bad cholesterol was high after all that still and my number was 219 total. Based on my unwillingness to try another Statin my Dr. suggested a 500mg pill of Niaspan to be taken nightly. I have experienced no flushing as yet after a month on it and really no bad side effects. New blood results 192! Will check back in 3 mos.

July 29, 2013 8:21 PM

Review by goyapiel:

For High Cholesterol: Gave me rash/hives.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Review by printer bob (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Cholesterol: I take 1000mg two times a day. Taking 325 mg aspirin before I take the Niaspan helps with the flushing. I have been on Niaspan for about 3 years now, my numbers are down 10%. The little bit of flushing I do get is a lot better than the severe joint pain I had with the statin medications. I recommend taking Niaspan. It is working for me.

April 23, 2013 11:59 AM

Review by baby marge:

For High Cholesterol: Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red.

March 19, 2013 4:32 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL: I have been taking Niaspan ER 2000mg for three months. I am scheduled to get my first lab tests to determine its effectiveness on lowering my elevated Lpa level and whether my liver function is okay. I have noticed that the medicine needs to be taken by 930 or 1000pm. If I take the medication too late in the evening, I still can feel the effects of Niaspan when I get up for work the next morning. I also noticed that taking it with water alone, causes the symptoms to be much worse than taking it with a small glass of milk or snack. So I take it before 10pm with a small glass of milk or snack, and there seems to be very little symptoms.

June 27, 2012 2:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Cholesterol: Problems with flushing until doctor told me not to eat strawberries or chocolate in the evening. I can eat them before lunch. I take Niaspan on going to bed. I eat 2 Graham crackers and 8 oz of milk when I take it. This has resolved all my problems with the medicine.

April 29, 2012 5:48 PM

For High Cholesterol: Lowered my cholesterol but after 6 weeks I had to discontinue due to hives.

September 25, 2011 3:47 PM

For High Cholesterol: When major diet changes and exercise hardly changed cholesterol at all I was started on 1500mg Niaspan. I do experience flushing, several times a month. Wake up hot and feel like I am burning up and itchy all over. If it delays another heart attack like 14 years ago it is a small price to pay.

September 19, 2011 4:53 PM

Review by BeeJayGee:

For High Cholesterol: I have taken Niaspan 2000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL and keeping my triglycerides low. For years, I had minimal problems with flushing. But now recently, I have had a number of episodes where I have woken up in the middle of the night with almost unbearable itching/burning skin. I took a break from the Niaspan for a couple nights, and then when I tried it again the itching was worse. I am going to have to discontinue this and consult with my doctor about what to do next to keep my numbers good.

April 7, 2011 9:10 AM

Review by bewitch1:

For High Cholesterol: I've been on Niaspan for about 2 months, and its has been like a miracle medicine for my condition. I suffer with ulcers really bad on my fingers. Before starting the Niaspan I had ulcers on every finger on both hands (very, very, painful), was on pain medicines constantly, however I'm now off the pain medicines since last week, ulcers are drying up tremendously. The flushing is awful, the burning, and itching is hard to describe. I called my doctor and he said we can try something else, but this is working and I'm trying to hang with it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2011 2:30 AM

For High Cholesterol: Went on Niacin @ 8000mg fifteen years ago. Now on Niaspan @ 2000mg for last five years. First medicine that has worked well with my body. My HDL stays in the 70s and total Cholesterol under 120. Dosing time and other foods have to be managed to suppress flushing.

January 16, 2011 1:32 PM

Review by Ashleyp74:

For High Cholesterol: We believe this medication Niaspan has caused liver failure in our father, that is what the Doctors told us so please anyone on this please have your liver function tested. It is easily doe by a blood test.

December 21, 2010 8:52 PM

For High Cholesterol: Been taking time release 2000mg at night for three years now, don't know why it's so expensive but it's the only thing that has ever raised my good cholesterol. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do have the heat feelings but can live with it. Whatever raises my good cholesterol is the best I can do, since it's so low!

November 24, 2010 7:24 PM

Review by derec:

For High Cholesterol: I use the niacin regularly. My numbers show a slow moderation, my doctor is pleased. I use not at night, it disturbed my sleep. Thanks.

November 17, 2010 10:59 AM

Review by badta00:

For High Cholesterol: I've been taking it for five years now. I've only had one episode of flushing since starting this medication. I took a Zantac at the same time as the 2000mg Niaspan and I woke up feeling like I was on fire. But I've had no problems since then.

October 27, 2010 10:06 PM

Review by JessieNC:

For High Cholesterol: I participate in a Niaspan clinical trial and take 2000mg/day along with Zocor and Zetia. I'm 65 and have severe arteriosclerosis. This combination of drugs has made a dramatic difference in my cholesterol numbers. I find that I don't have the "flushing" (actually more like BURNING) if I take the Niaspan EVERY night and follow the asperin, applesauce and wheat crackers technique. It's rather a hassle but I think worth the trouble.

October 15, 2009 10:41 AM

Review by lov1254:

For High Cholesterol: I started on Niaspan for 2 months 500 at night. I had no problems at all. I took an asprin 1/2 hr. before then ate a snack, cottage cheese and never had no flushing, or anything. I was to take two 500 a night. But when I checked the price at WalMart they was $15?.00 for a 30 day supply. I just bought the flush free Niacin been taking them now for a week and still no flushing, or felt no different. I have no problems so far with them. Soon as I have my blood test again I will let you know how they did for me.

August 19, 2009 3:41 PM

For High Cholesterol: After a few days of taking this medication, I was awoken in the middle of night with the the warm red rash on my abdomen which was also extremely itchy. After 3 consecutive nights of the same reaction, I discontinued the medicine and called my doctor. He changed my prescription to another cholesterol medicine.

August 4, 2009 8:17 PM

For High Cholesterol: I've been on it for about 10 days now and it seems to be working well.

June 24, 2009 9:12 PM

For High Cholesterol: Seemed to work okay for me.

May 2, 2009 7:54 AM