User Reviews for Niaspan

Learn more about Niaspan.

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 44 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...V, Elevated VLDL 1 reviews 29 medications

High Cholesterol 23 reviews 42 medications

6.2
Hyperlipoproteinemia...lomicrons VLDL 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Niaspan reviews 25 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Niaspan

For Hyperlipoproteinemia "I must be really rare because my condition is low cholesterol. My body does not produce enough niacin. My bad cholesterol is at a normal range so are my lipids. I have been on Niaspan for 6 years at least. My cholesterol levels have been steady since. I am at the maximum dose of 2000mg a day. The only problem with it is the flushing. I hate it! I take it at night with a bowl of cereal and a 325 mg entrophen to reduce the flushing."

Nicky08 March 10, 2015

For High Cholesterol "I have been taking 1500 mg at bedtime for about 4 years. It has lowered my cholesterol some but I'm also taking Zetia and Crestor too at this time. (I have Familial High Cholesterol about 380) I have flushing, but it is mild compared to regular Niacin which I could never tolerate. Flushing is worse if I forget and skip a day. Drinking water helps with the flushing."

42 January 16, 2015

For High Cholesterol "Off it completely for 2 days now. Acid reflux much better and more importantly no Pronounced heart beats or racing. Feeling normal again thank God. I truly believe after my experience with both Niaspan and Crestor is that they actually starve your heart of the Oxygen it needs if your an athlete. Heart rate problems or potential Arrhythmia's may not be revealed in people who have more sedentary lifestyles. The fact that the new recommendation is to stack COQ10 with the statins should prove that they can rob your heart of energy when you work it hard during intense exercise. "

Trainhard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2014

For High Cholesterol "Posted about a year ago here after I first started a 500 mg nightly regimen of Niaspan. For awhile it appeared as though I would not have the usual side effect of burning skin. However, the Acid reflux I began experiencing began to worsen over time along with gastric problems at night. Then as an active person who is involved in teaching Cardio Boxing classes I began to experience weird feelings in my chest along with a more pronounced heart beat during and after exercise. Felt like I swallowed a Basketball at times. Also could not have any alcohol Beer or Wine while taking this. I decided to stop taking it in fear of creating an Arrythmyia or Stroke during my exercise which also is my Job. This is day one off of it and feel better."

Trainhard (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2014

For High Cholesterol "Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200."

GLAD TO BE ALIVE (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

For High Cholesterol "Age 51. Went to get my regular bloodwork with my Doctor. My cholestral has always been >200 and have a family history of Heart Attack and stroke. I tried everything over the years including Crestor which was an absolute disaster for me after only 4 doses. Since then tried the natural methods Red Yeast Rice (may as well be on a statin the side effects are basically the same) and lots of fish and Krill oil. I was disappointed that my bad cholesterol was high after all that still and my number was 219 total. Based on my unwillingness to try another Statin my Dr. suggested a 500mg pill of Niaspan to be taken nightly. I have experienced no flushing as yet after a month on it and really no bad side effects. New blood results 192! Will check back in 3 mos."

Trainhard July 29, 2013

For High Cholesterol "Gave me rash/hives."

goyapiel June 12, 2013

For High Cholesterol "I take 1000mg two times a day. Taking 325 mg aspirin before I take the Niaspan helps with the flushing. I have been on Niaspan for about 3 years now, my numbers are down 10%. The little bit of flushing I do get is a lot better than the severe joint pain I had with the statin medications. I recommend taking Niaspan. It is working for me."

printer bob (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 23, 2013

For High Cholesterol "Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red."

baby marge March 19, 2013

For Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL "I have been taking Niaspan ER 2000mg for three months. I am scheduled to get my first lab tests to determine its effectiveness on lowering my elevated Lpa level and whether my liver function is okay. I have noticed that the medicine needs to be taken by 930 or 1000pm. If I take the medication too late in the evening, I still can feel the effects of Niaspan when I get up for work the next morning. I also noticed that taking it with water alone, causes the symptoms to be much worse than taking it with a small glass of milk or snack. So I take it before 10pm with a small glass of milk or snack, and there seems to be very little symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2012

For High Cholesterol "Problems with flushing until doctor told me not to eat strawberries or chocolate in the evening. I can eat them before lunch. I take Niaspan on going to bed. I eat 2 Graham crackers and 8 oz of milk when I take it. This has resolved all my problems with the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2012

For High Cholesterol "Lowered my cholesterol but after 6 weeks I had to discontinue due to hives."

Anonymous September 25, 2011

For High Cholesterol "When major diet changes and exercise hardly changed cholesterol at all I was started on 1500mg Niaspan. I do experience flushing, several times a month. Wake up hot and feel like I am burning up and itchy all over. If it delays another heart attack like 14 years ago it is a small price to pay."

Anonymous September 19, 2011

For High Cholesterol "I have taken Niaspan 2000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL and keeping my triglycerides low. For years, I had minimal problems with flushing. But now recently, I have had a number of episodes where I have woken up in the middle of the night with almost unbearable itching/burning skin. I took a break from the Niaspan for a couple nights, and then when I tried it again the itching was worse. I am going to have to discontinue this and consult with my doctor about what to do next to keep my numbers good."

BeeJayGee April 7, 2011

For High Cholesterol "I've been on Niaspan for about 2 months, and its has been like a miracle medicine for my condition. I suffer with ulcers really bad on my fingers. Before starting the Niaspan I had ulcers on every finger on both hands (very, very, painful), was on pain medicines constantly, however I'm now off the pain medicines since last week, ulcers are drying up tremendously. The flushing is awful, the burning, and itching is hard to describe. I called my doctor and he said we can try something else, but this is working and I'm trying to hang with it. "

bewitch1 February 13, 2011

For High Cholesterol "Went on Niacin @ 8000mg fifteen years ago. Now on Niaspan @ 2000mg for last five years. First medicine that has worked well with my body. My HDL stays in the 70s and total Cholesterol under 120. Dosing time and other foods have to be managed to suppress flushing. "

Anonymous January 16, 2011

For High Cholesterol "We believe this medication Niaspan has caused liver failure in our father, that is what the Doctors told us so please anyone on this please have your liver function tested. It is easily doe by a blood test."

Ashleyp74 December 21, 2010

For High Cholesterol "Been taking time release 2000mg at night for three years now, don't know why it's so expensive but it's the only thing that has ever raised my good cholesterol. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do have the heat feelings but can live with it. Whatever raises my good cholesterol is the best I can do, since it's so low!"

Anonymous November 24, 2010

For High Cholesterol "I use the niacin regularly. My numbers show a slow moderation, my doctor is pleased. I use not at night, it disturbed my sleep. Thanks."

derec November 17, 2010

For High Cholesterol "I've been taking it for five years now. I've only had one episode of flushing since starting this medication. I took a Zantac at the same time as the 2000mg Niaspan and I woke up feeling like I was on fire. But I've had no problems since then."

badta00 October 27, 2010

For High Cholesterol "I participate in a Niaspan clinical trial and take 2000mg/day along with Zocor and Zetia. I'm 65 and have severe arteriosclerosis. This combination of drugs has made a dramatic difference in my cholesterol numbers. I find that I don't have the "flushing" (actually more like BURNING) if I take the Niaspan EVERY night and follow the asperin, applesauce and wheat crackers technique. It's rather a hassle but I think worth the trouble."

JessieNC October 15, 2009

For High Cholesterol "I started on Niaspan for 2 months 500 at night. I had no problems at all. I took an asprin 1/2 hr. before then ate a snack, cottage cheese and never had no flushing, or anything. I was to take two 500 a night. But when I checked the price at WalMart they was $15?.00 for a 30 day supply. I just bought the flush free Niacin been taking them now for a week and still no flushing, or felt no different. I have no problems so far with them. Soon as I have my blood test again I will let you know how they did for me."

lov1254 August 19, 2009

For High Cholesterol "After a few days of taking this medication, I was awoken in the middle of night with the the warm red rash on my abdomen which was also extremely itchy. After 3 consecutive nights of the same reaction, I discontinued the medicine and called my doctor. He changed my prescription to another cholesterol medicine."

Anonymous August 4, 2009

For High Cholesterol "I've been on it for about 10 days now and it seems to be working well. "

Anonymous June 24, 2009

For High Cholesterol "Seemed to work okay for me."

Anonymous May 2, 2009