Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Niaspan

Learn more about Niaspan.

Niaspan review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 258 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Niaspan to treat High Cholesterol

Review by GLAD TO BE ALIVE (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Niaspan was prescribed by my doctor for Lipid Protein little a. My cholestrol was about 400+. I took one dose (500mg) at night and within 30 minutes I was in emergency room with anaphylactic shock. I don't remember much of anything till I woke up the next morning and was told how bad it almost was for me. I take 8 statins to maintain a cholesterol of 200.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2014 9:04 AM
Review by Trainhard: User Rating:

Age 51. Went to get my regular bloodwork with my Doctor. My cholestral has always been >200 and have a family history of Heart Attack and stroke. I tried everything over the years including Crestor which was an absolute disaster for me after only 4 doses. Since then tried the natural methods Red Yeast Rice (may as well be on a statin the side effects are basically the same) and lots of fish and Krill oil. I was disappointed that my bad cholesterol was high after all that still and my number was 219 total. Based on my unwillingness to try another Statin my Dr. suggested a 500mg pill of Niaspan to be taken nightly. I have experienced no flushing as yet after a month on it and really no bad side effects. New blood results 192! Will check back in 3 mos.

July 29, 2013 8:21 PM
Review by goyapiel: User Rating:

Gave me rash/hives.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 12, 2013 11:58 PM
Review by printer bob (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I take 1000mg two times a day. Taking 325 mg aspirin before I take the Niaspan helps with the flushing. I have been on Niaspan for about 3 years now, my numbers are down 10%. The little bit of flushing I do get is a lot better than the severe joint pain I had with the statin medications. I recommend taking Niaspan. It is working for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 23, 2013 11:59 AM
Review by baby marge: User Rating:

Woke up and felt like I was on fire. Skin was red and my heart was pounding. Nauseated and very itchy. Calling my doctor in the morning. It is not worth it. This has happened twice but this time it is worse. Feel very sick from it. My skin is so red.

March 19, 2013 4:32 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Problems with flushing until doctor told me not to eat strawberries or chocolate in the evening. I can eat them before lunch. I take Niaspan on going to bed. I eat 2 Graham crackers and 8 oz of milk when I take it. This has resolved all my problems with the medicine.

April 29, 2012 5:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lowered my cholesterol but after 6 weeks I had to discontinue due to hives.

September 25, 2011 3:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

When major diet changes and exercise hardly changed cholesterol at all I was started on 1500mg Niaspan. I do experience flushing, several times a month. Wake up hot and feel like I am burning up and itchy all over. If it delays another heart attack like 14 years ago it is a small price to pay.

September 19, 2011 4:53 PM
Review by BeeJayGee: User Rating:

I have taken Niaspan 2000 mg for several years now. It has had great success in raising my HDL and keeping my triglycerides low. For years, I had minimal problems with flushing. But now recently, I have had a number of episodes where I have woken up in the middle of the night with almost unbearable itching/burning skin. I took a break from the Niaspan for a couple nights, and then when I tried it again the itching was worse. I am going to have to discontinue this and consult with my doctor about what to do next to keep my numbers good.

April 7, 2011 9:10 AM
Review by bewitch1: User Rating:

I've been on Niaspan for about 2 months, and its has been like a miracle medicine for my condition. I suffer with ulcers really bad on my fingers. Before starting the Niaspan I had ulcers on every finger on both hands (very, very, painful), was on pain medicines constantly, however I'm now off the pain medicines since last week, ulcers are drying up tremendously. The flushing is awful, the burning, and itching is hard to describe. I called my doctor and he said we can try something else, but this is working and I'm trying to hang with it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2011 2:30 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Went on Niacin @ 8000mg fifteen years ago. Now on Niaspan @ 2000mg for last five years. First medicine that has worked well with my body. My HDL stays in the 70s and total Cholesterol under 120. Dosing time and other foods have to be managed to suppress flushing.

January 16, 2011 1:32 PM
Review by Ashleyp74: User Rating:

We believe this medication Niaspan has caused liver failure in our father, that is what the Doctors told us so please anyone on this please have your liver function tested. It is easily doe by a blood test.

December 21, 2010 8:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Been taking time release 2000mg at night for three years now, don't know why it's so expensive but it's the only thing that has ever raised my good cholesterol. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do have the heat feelings but can live with it. Whatever raises my good cholesterol is the best I can do, since it's so low!

November 24, 2010 7:24 PM
Review by derec: User Rating:

I use the niacin regularly. My numbers show a slow moderation, my doctor is pleased. I use not at night, it disturbed my sleep. Thanks.

November 17, 2010 10:59 AM
Review by badta00: User Rating:

I've been taking it for five years now. I've only had one episode of flushing since starting this medication. I took a Zantac at the same time as the 2000mg Niaspan and I woke up feeling like I was on fire. But I've had no problems since then.

October 27, 2010 10:06 PM
Review by JessieNC:

I participate in a Niaspan clinical trial and take 2000mg/day along with Zocor and Zetia. I'm 65 and have severe arteriosclerosis. This combination of drugs has made a dramatic difference in my cholesterol numbers. I find that I don't have the "flushing" (actually more like BURNING) if I take the Niaspan EVERY night and follow the asperin, applesauce and wheat crackers technique. It's rather a hassle but I think worth the trouble.

October 15, 2009 10:41 AM
Review by lov1254:

I started on Niaspan for 2 months 500 at night. I had no problems at all. I took an asprin 1/2 hr. before then ate a snack, cottage cheese and never had no flushing, or anything. I was to take two 500 a night. But when I checked the price at WalMart they was $15?.00 for a 30 day supply. I just bought the flush free Niacin been taking them now for a week and still no flushing, or felt no different. I have no problems so far with them. Soon as I have my blood test again I will let you know how they did for me.

August 19, 2009 3:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

After a few days of taking this medication, I was awoken in the middle of night with the the warm red rash on my abdomen which was also extremely itchy. After 3 consecutive nights of the same reaction, I discontinued the medicine and called my doctor. He changed my prescription to another cholesterol medicine.

August 4, 2009 8:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on it for about 10 days now and it seems to be working well.

June 24, 2009 9:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Seemed to work okay for me.

May 2, 2009 7:54 AM