User Reviews for Bystolic

Learn more about Bystolic.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 5 reviews 12 medications

8.7
High Blood Pressure 98 reviews 261 medications

7.3
Summary of Bystolic reviews 103 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Bystolic

Review by Tor123:

For High Blood Pressure: Great stuff, best blood pressure medicine so far. Almost no side effect, alas libido. If you are a jealous type and its killing you that your girlfriend is partying without you ... this is the medicine to take. It reduces sexual desire to a degree where you don't care. It's strange, because I have (had) a good sex drive. It's almost like the female world lost her power over me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by DennSaw:

For High Blood Pressure: I was prescribed this medication for high blood pressure. It DID lower my blood pressure, and for about 6 weeks I had almost no adverse reaction. I was prescribed 10 mg, but only took 5mg because I am sensitive to medicines and anesthetics. Vivid dreams, insomnia, sleepiness during the day were tolerable, but I soon developed double vision, pain in my upper body, a rash and increasing weakness and balance problems. I weaned myself off slowly--my last dose was in February 2014--I still have tremors, difficulty walking and extreme weakness. I cannot recommend Bystolic.

June 3, 2014 2:17 AM

Review by Durtly:

For High Blood Pressure: I have limited experience with any other Blood Pressure medications but reading the comments I see the patterns I've experienced on Bystolic (10mg before bed every night). Intermittent restless sleep, occasional neck and shoulder pains, inconsistent blood pressure readings ranging from an ideal 120/80 to spikes around 160/100. Intermittent bouts of extreme fatigue. I think my problem might be either inconsistent dose effectiveness (i.e. some of my pills might not be as strong as they're supposed to be) or I need to be on smaller doses twice a day to even out the effects. I'll check with my doctor.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by Kilby588 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: Took metropolol for 8 years with hydrochlorothiazide and suffered severe migraines until a med check doctor told me about the side effects from it plus my blood pressure never dropped below 177/112 in all the time I was on it. Changed doctors and was put on Bystolic and the hydrochlorothiazide and I never had the urge To go to the bathroom. Had to force myself to go. My feet and legs cramp all the time. I don't get headaches and my blood pressure dropped to 128/80 was the lowest but I stopped taking the water pill so I can go to the bathroom. It may be wrong but at least I'm peeing.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by ellie54 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Fine at 5mg dose, but when upped to 10 mg broke out in a severe rash over whole body.

November 26, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Timbo delaslice:

For High Blood Pressure: I was on metoprolol 100 for about 1 year it caused anxiety, heart palpitations, dizziness, tiredness a general ill/ bad feeling. My doctor finally offered new medicines and the Bystolic 10mg is the best thing that could have happened for me. I was nervous at first because of my experience with other beta blockers, honestly apart from taking it every morning, I forget I have a condition. No side effects! When I was researching Bystolic I found bad reviews but after using it for 3 months now, I had to leave positive remarks. What a great medicine.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2013 6:56 AM

Review by BS72 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have been on and off this medicine for two years now, finally reducing the dose to 1/2 of a 2.5 mg pill every two days. This is the only Blood Pressure medicine so far that I feel good and normal, no pressure in head or headaches, Blood Pressure good, UNTIL I start with severe pain mainly in my upper and lower back but also my neck, which eventually ends up in muscle weakness. This has happened numerous times over the past two years. Thus the stopping and starting again. I play tennis a few times a week, but when the weakness starts, I am in so much pain that I cannot play again for several days and eventually will start experiencing muscle strains or pulls or just can't adequately move my legs to run. Avapro, Benicar and Crestor caused the same problems.

September 24, 2013 3:22 PM

Review by Texas Expat:

For High Blood Pressure: 58 year old male caucasian, overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, low total cholesterol, low HDL, high Triglyceride. Been on Diovan HCTZ 320/25 for years. In last year, 2nd blood pressure medicine -amlodipine was prescribed to hold 130/80 on average. Developed severe leg swelling at 10 months. Switched to toprolol but developed fatigue, then switched to Bystolic 5 mg/day about two months ago. Immediate dramatic reduction in blood pressure to 110/60. No problems in energy level. Heart rate is definitely lower and gets very low (down to 45 bpm when awaking) but no other adverse symptoms. Feel great so far. I feel somewhat calmer. BP has started to climb back to 125/70 in last week. Very pleased so far

July 19, 2013 9:11 AM

Review by Brainmagic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: I'm a 66 yrs old Caucasian male, who's suffered an increase in blood pressure from my late 50's. In reading the reviews I've realized how many side effects I've been experiencing. Swollen feet and ankles, Chronic tiredness, Multiple night time awakenings, Leg cramps, Significantly decreased libido. This last effect is what grabbed my attention most severely, so I will stop taking Bystolic.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2013 7:59 AM

Review by lww (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken several beta blockers over the years and they all have various side effects. I recently switched to Bystolic and my experience has been wonderful. I have not experienced any negative side effects. I have more energy, my heartbeat is steady. I have also been able to exercise without getting tired, which has helped me to lose weight. This medicine also seems to be working well with the thyroid medicine I take. It is a little more expensive but well worth the cost.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by margie K (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have had no side effects with Bystolic @ 5 mg dosage......

April 3, 2013 3:07 AM

Review by ladybug2634 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I have mitral valve prolapse, female, 42. I started Bystolic, 5mg, a couple weeks ago, no palpitations, no dizziness, no headaches, no fatigue. My sleep is off a bit, but other than that, I feel great.

January 29, 2013 5:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: 48 y/o male with blood pressure averaging 156/102 with spikes to 200 /110 . This medicine helped stabilize my blood pressure to about 115/65 now. No major side effects but need to watch my glucose level since its a Beta blocker.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2012 2:10 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: I am a 45 yr female who developed high blood pressure 160/100. I took Lopressor for 3 months and hated it. I am a pretty fit and active person and on Lopressor I became so sluggish and tired I couldn't function at all. My doctor gave me Bystolic one month ago and I love it! I feel like myself again. No side effects at all. My heart rate stays normal all day! Anyone feeling really bad on medicine they are taking should ask doctor to try this medicine.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2012 7:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Love it after the first week. 5mg a day. Lots of energy and losing weight. No more racing heart. Much more relaxed at work and home. Not for everyone but helped me.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2012 4:05 PM

Review by nancy4795 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Too expensive, caused depression and restlessness, caused nightmares every night.

July 26, 2012 12:15 PM

Review by Don_James (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I was a 38 year old male, 100 pounds overweight, with hypertension (at doctor's office typical BP measurement was 155/95) and tachycardia and arrhythmia with intense exercise. My resting heart rate would also occasionally be high when I felt angry (which was, and is, often). I was prescribed 10 mg Bystolic and within an hour I felt calmed and my heart rate went from >80 to <60. Over the next few weeks on 5 mg daily, my blood pressure measurements had dropped about 10 points on systolic and diastolic. It is now 4 years later, my doctor's office blood pressure measurement is typically 130/80 (at home 125/75), and I've lost the 100 pounds. I am now reducing my dose to 2.5 mg.

July 2, 2012 12:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: 40 y/o, white female, moderately active. So far I'm happy with this medicine. Bystolic brought my blood pressure down from 200/110 to 124/74 and my heart rate from 120 to 48 on 10 mg (and 1mg of Guanfacine). I have gained about 4 or 5 lbs. during the 2 months I've been on it, but I can honestly say some of that is my own fault. I, too, have experienced a calming effect. Aside from the gained lbs. I have no complaints.

May 20, 2012 8:23 PM

Review by taz1:

For High Blood Pressure: I have gained 12 lbs in a month! My feet/hands swell so bad that I take a water pill. I am so FATIGUED..no energy, get out of breath and have had several migraines lately..which is not normal for me. My pulse is low all the time and blood pressure is 135/85. I was on Hyzaar for years and it worked great.

April 18, 2012 3:54 PM

Review by Ms. Allie:

For High Blood Pressure: I am a 53 year old African American female. My Dr. said that my heart rate resting was too fast, blood pressure was borderline and had mild left ventricle thickening. He prescribed 2.5mg of Bystolic. I always feel like I have a chlorine taste in my mouth, my breathing does not seem as deep and I have a strange sensation in my chest all of the time. I feel more sluggish during exercise, but I have lost 16 pounds since on the medicines since October. I am on a low fat diet and I walk 2 miles daily. I think it is a good medicine; I just wish I didn't have to take any thing. I'm just not the same.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2012 11:52 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Bystolic 5mg 2x a day for the last 2 years. I was 33 yrs old when I discovered my blood pressure was high (150/105 approx) ouch. I don't have any of the risk factors for high blood pressure. Dr said it is probably just genetic. My blood pressure has been controlled and has been normal ever since I started taking Bystolic. I have not had any negative side effects at all.

March 8, 2012 8:32 PM

For High Blood Pressure: Within 10 days of beginning to take Bystolic 10mg I experienced severely swollen ankles and had to stop taking it. I am now back on Metoprolol 100mg which works fine with no side effects.

March 2, 2012 3:04 PM

Review by Ruprecht:

For High Blood Pressure: I'm definitely sensitive to BP medicine. I am 40 years old, 6'3" and physically fit. I workout almost everyday (run, cycle, lift weights). Unfortunately, I have Isolated Systolic Hypertension (the systolic runs high but the diastolic is normal). My BP varies from 140/75 to 165/80. I have tried just about every medication for BP on the market, with either no success or with side effects I could not tolerate. With Bystolic is has failed, even at doses of 20mg to get my systolic BP controlled. The real problem for me is that is has 100% eliminated ANY sexual desire. I'm not talking about erectile dysfunction, I mean it makes me not even care about it. It also has the sticky throat feel where you need to clear it constantly. Back to square one.

February 28, 2012 12:34 PM

For High Blood Pressure: I'm 39 years old and I've been experience high BP for a few months - 190/140. I was on Effexor and dr immediately took me off that and replaced with Viibryd and added the Bystolic 10mg. Definitely feeling better...no more heart beats THUMPING in my head. Been a bit dizzy/lightheaded, but I'm contributing that to the change in anti-depressant, but after reading everthing...not quite sure. I've had some loose bowels too, but who cares as long as the my pounding heartbeat is gone. I never felt bad before, but the medicines have given me some peace of mind.

February 2, 2012 10:52 AM

Review by iBThom:

For High Blood Pressure: Was on Toprol XL for years which made me overly tired. Now on Bystolic for 7 months so far. Perfect. I have tons more energy and my arrhythmia was controlled along with my high blood pressure. The only side effect I've noticed is that I'm able to keep awake.

January 12, 2012 11:59 AM