User Reviews for Bystolic

Learn more about Bystolic.

Bystolic Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Bystolic to treat High Blood Pressure

"This was horrible. It did fix my blood pressure, but while on it I fainted once and I didn't have the energy to work outside. I'm 38 and it made me feel like an old man. It took several weeks to ween off and another month to feel 90% better. My eye is still twitching after being off of this for a month."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I'm a 54 years old non-smoker, 5'8"/145 lbs & healthy all of my life. Developed labile hypertension 5 years ago. Dr. first prescribed 25mg metoprolol in 2010, dose increased to 50mg in 1/2014. BP was controlled on Metoprolol but still not always ideal. Dr. felt metoprolol was the best med, since it has been around for decades with a proven track record. New dr. this past April gave me some samples of 5mg Bystolic. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! No fatigue, no depressed feeling & better exercise tolerance-HIGHLY recommend. BP great! Give yourself 2-3weeks to adjust to new med. Drawback it is more expensive than Metoprolol, but it's worth it."

Momofgigi June 15, 2015

"Had rapid wt. gain. Headache & fatigue. I was able to get it free."

Anonymous June 9, 2015

"34 y/o female on HBP meds since severe bacterial infection wiped out 3/4 of kidney function 5 years ago. Had been on 100mg/day of Metoprolol and it caused mind-numbing fatigue and fogginess, and frankly I realize now I was over-medicated. Doc switched me to 5mg/day Bystolic and I felt like a new woman overnight! No fatigue and only noticeable side effect (like someone else mentioned) was that it knocked back my libido some, which wasn't a terrible thing and isn't affecting me that much. I can get through a work day without taking a nap at lunch and actually have a life after hours now. I'm glad I took a chance on this med!"

nckhella (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2015

"With all the blood pressure medications I've taken over the last 15 years, specifically beta blockers, Bystolic has been the best match for me. I was originally placed on beta blockers to control the rate of my heart since I have PSVT's, which also increased my BP during those episodes. While I do work nights, I have gained weight since taking beta blockers. With Bystolic I do feel less tired and able to keep moving, climb stairs easier, my weight gain has stopped. My BP is usually 120's/70-80. The cons of this drug, and to be fair, all beta blockers, I have horrendous nightmares. I have to take a sleeping pill, Lunesta, for that!"

Marz2u (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2015

"Severe diarrhea after starting."

Scrapbox (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2015

"I have been taking bystolic 5mg for 2 years. I originally started on metoprolol 100mg.. I had tons of problems and side effects. My doctor switched me to bystolic, and irate best thing that ever happened to me I researched it and found nothing but bad reviews online,I was worried. But after 2 years.. I'm still happy,normal pressure,never any side effects or symptoms. Systolic is a little more pricey... But I can live my life,and not be worried about symptom triggers or drowsiness..Bystolic is my wonder drug!"

daddy o maley February 28, 2015

"I was diagnosed to chronic hypertension and POTS at age 15, after trying a few different beta blockers I was put on 10 mg and generally maintain a 110/70 BP. I've been on Bystolic for 7 years and would highly recommend it."

Kmr06 February 3, 2015

"Started having bad headaches for 2 weeks and realized blood pressure was high. I started taking Bystolic and headaches went away and I have no side effects. My BP is the best it's ever been. I take 5mg daily and have been taking for 4 months"

JJRAM (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2015

"I have been on this medicine less than 2 years....5mg, recently changed to 2.5mg per day. I have had no side effects, feel great. I do have more energy most likely because my blood pressure is where it is suppose to be. I am a female in my early 50's & this is my first experience with blood pressure meds."

arw December 11, 2014

"Great stuff, best blood pressure medicine so far. Almost no side effect, alas libido. If you are a jealous type and its killing you that your girlfriend is partying without you ... this is the medicine to take. It reduces sexual desire to a degree where you don't care. It's strange, because I have (had) a good sex drive. It's almost like the female world lost her power over me."

Tor123 June 30, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication for high blood pressure. It DID lower my blood pressure, and for about 6 weeks I had almost no adverse reaction. I was prescribed 10 mg, but only took 5mg because I am sensitive to medicines and anesthetics. Vivid dreams, insomnia, sleepiness during the day were tolerable, but I soon developed double vision, pain in my upper body, a rash and increasing weakness and balance problems. I weaned myself off slowly--my last dose was in February 2014--I still have tremors, difficulty walking and extreme weakness. I cannot recommend Bystolic."

DennSaw June 3, 2014

"I have limited experience with any other Blood Pressure medications but reading the comments I see the patterns I've experienced on Bystolic (10mg before bed every night). Intermittent restless sleep, occasional neck and shoulder pains, inconsistent blood pressure readings ranging from an ideal 120/80 to spikes around 160/100. Intermittent bouts of extreme fatigue. I think my problem might be either inconsistent dose effectiveness (i.e. some of my pills might not be as strong as they're supposed to be) or I need to be on smaller doses twice a day to even out the effects. I'll check with my doctor."

Durtly May 25, 2014

"Took metropolol for 8 years with hydrochlorothiazide and suffered severe migraines until a med check doctor told me about the side effects from it plus my blood pressure never dropped below 177/112 in all the time I was on it. Changed doctors and was put on Bystolic and the hydrochlorothiazide and I never had the urge To go to the bathroom. Had to force myself to go. My feet and legs cramp all the time. I don't get headaches and my blood pressure dropped to 128/80 was the lowest but I stopped taking the water pill so I can go to the bathroom. It may be wrong but at least I'm peeing."

Kilby588 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2014

"Fine at 5mg dose, but when upped to 10 mg broke out in a severe rash over whole body."

ellie54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2013

"I was on metoprolol 100 for about 1 year it caused anxiety, heart palpitations, dizziness, tiredness a general ill/ bad feeling. My doctor finally offered new medicines and the Bystolic 10mg is the best thing that could have happened for me. I was nervous at first because of my experience with other beta blockers, honestly apart from taking it every morning, I forget I have a condition. No side effects! When I was researching Bystolic I found bad reviews but after using it for 3 months now, I had to leave positive remarks. What a great medicine. "

Timbo delaslice October 14, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on and off this medicine for two years now, finally reducing the dose to 1/2 of a 2.5 mg pill every two days. This is the only Blood Pressure medicine so far that I feel good and normal, no pressure in head or headaches, Blood Pressure good, UNTIL I start with severe pain mainly in my upper and lower back but also my neck, which eventually ends up in muscle weakness. This has happened numerous times over the past two years. Thus the stopping and starting again. I play tennis a few times a week, but when the weakness starts, I am in so much pain that I cannot play again for several days and eventually will start experiencing muscle strains or pulls or just can't adequately move my legs to run. Avapro, Benicar and Crestor caused the same problems."

BS72 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2013

"58 year old male caucasian, overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, low total cholesterol, low HDL, high Triglyceride. Been on Diovan HCTZ 320/25 for years. In last year, 2nd blood pressure medicine -amlodipine was prescribed to hold 130/80 on average. Developed severe leg swelling at 10 months. Switched to toprolol but developed fatigue, then switched to Bystolic 5 mg/day about two months ago. Immediate dramatic reduction in blood pressure to 110/60. No problems in energy level. Heart rate is definitely lower and gets very low (down to 45 bpm when awaking) but no other adverse symptoms. Feel great so far. I feel somewhat calmer. BP has started to climb back to 125/70 in last week. Very pleased so far"

Texas Expat July 19, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a 66 yrs old Caucasian male, who's suffered an increase in blood pressure from my late 50's. In reading the reviews I've realized how many side effects I've been experiencing. Swollen feet and ankles, Chronic tiredness, Multiple night time awakenings, Leg cramps, Significantly decreased libido. This last effect is what grabbed my attention most severely, so I will stop taking Bystolic. "

Brainmagic (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2013

"I have taken several beta blockers over the years and they all have various side effects. I recently switched to Bystolic and my experience has been wonderful. I have not experienced any negative side effects. I have more energy, my heartbeat is steady. I have also been able to exercise without getting tired, which has helped me to lose weight. This medicine also seems to be working well with the thyroid medicine I take. It is a little more expensive but well worth the cost."

lww (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had no side effects with Bystolic @ 5 mg dosage......"

margie K (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2013

"48 y/o male with blood pressure averaging 156/102 with spikes to 200 /110 . This medicine helped stabilize my blood pressure to about 115/65 now. No major side effects but need to watch my glucose level since its a Beta blocker."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 45 yr female who developed high blood pressure 160/100. I took Lopressor for 3 months and hated it. I am a pretty fit and active person and on Lopressor I became so sluggish and tired I couldn't function at all. My doctor gave me Bystolic one month ago and I love it! I feel like myself again. No side effects at all. My heart rate stays normal all day! Anyone feeling really bad on medicine they are taking should ask doctor to try this medicine. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2012

"Love it after the first week. 5mg a day. Lots of energy and losing weight. No more racing heart. Much more relaxed at work and home. Not for everyone but helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2012

"Too expensive, caused depression and restlessness, caused nightmares every night."

nancy4795 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2012