User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 49 reviews 7 medications

Fibromyalgia 9 reviews 19 medications

6.9
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 98 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Opiate Dependence: "I just received the Vivitrol shot yesterday. Ironically it was also my birthday and I found it to be a miracle I was finally brave enough to do it. My Dr. has literally had 9 shots already sent before I finally did it. Its been a long drawn out battle as most of us know."

tdefee12 January 30, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I am 43 been, been drinking since I was 13, really heavily 16 beers a day or so the last 3 years. I've been trying to not drink the last month. For the same reasons most probably do, I'm about to lose everything and I just got tired of feeling like shit I made it about 10 days and couldn't take the internal debate anymore and gave in. Been sober for 3 days but still it's tiring constantly fighting yourself. Took this about 9 hrs ago. I am not having any thoughts or urge to drink at all. I am still scheduled for rehab in a week or so. I'm suprised it worked that quick, the doctor said it would though. I do feel really tired though."

bababooyffafooey January 22, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I spent 2 years in and out of AA. It was miserable. I was not an "AA person" at all. In fact, AA meetings made me want to drink. My doctor put my on Naltrexone. It worked immediately. It actually worked too well. I no longer craved or thought about alcohol but I also didn't like the taste of food. I lost interest in sex. I lost interest in being physically active. I was spaced out constantly. It was not living at all. So I went off of Naltrexone and resumed drinking. When I was ready to try giving up alcohol again, I went back to Naltrexone BUT only took HALF a pill a day. This made a huge difference. I still feel as though I don't enjoy many things like before. But I don't have the option to drown myself in booze."

PaulMo January 16, 2016

For Opiate Dependence: "Im 23yr old herion addict. I started on oxys, went to herion/crack, to methadone/suboxone for about 4-5 years. Even on methadone I was still using on top of it everyday, I would barely get a buzz but my cravings were that strong. Finally after overdose/suicide attempt I was referred to an amazing ADHD/addiction Dr who prescribed rivea (oral). I have almost 1 in half yr clean w/ only a 1day relapse. I'm from Canada & we don't have the shot. This was a GAME CHANGER. Zero cravings & there was no side affects for me. Downside is u have to have the willpower to take it everyday (upside for places that have the shot, very jealeous). Stops me from impulsive mistakes as it blocks for up to 72 hours. Blessed to have found this & grateful it worked for me"

Alikitty January 5, 2016

For Alcohol Dependence: "I'd been drinking and getting drunk for 25 yrs. I've driven drunk to many times to count. By God's grace I never hurt myself or anyone else, or ever been pulled over by the cops. I recently lost what I think could of been the love of my life. My words were harmful when I got drunk. He had enough and won't except another apology from me nor my many attempts to contact him. I had to do something. Naltrexone is changing my life! I can't wait to get used to not overdoing it. I can't wait to be in a relationship without cursing him out due to me overdoing it. Hopefully I can get back the love of my life one day but for now I'm working on myself. I little bored and and little lonely but me being sober is worth it."

A new me... December 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "For almost four years my life was completely out of control, what had started out as playful became my worst nightmare. I spent several years homeless, and in and out of institutions. Eventually, I had hit my rock bottom and became desperate enough to fully surrender, that meant quitting alcohol, and putting down needle. Vivitrol helped me stay stopped. Before getting the shot I used to have cravings all day every day. Now I am to go about my day without worrying if today is the day that I relapse. Vivitrol gave me the extra push to stay clean and go about living a normal life. Cocaine/Mali etc users don't have anything to help them staying clean. So I am truly grateful for this drug! It helped me realize that life can be wonderful without drugs"

1empress (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "After abusing alcohol for many years I received the shot last week and cravings are minimal and pass quickly. Having relapsed early in sobriety before I feel that going to meetings and the shot will help prevent another."

Naladog (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

For Opiate Dependence: "I made the mistake taking one vicodin two days prior to starting naltrexone and had the worst withdrawals. Mental cravings stronger than ever."

intenselysick1 December 14, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "After battling the bottle for 30 years I am so Grateful that I found this. I tried everything from AA to SMART Recovery and to be honest while each program has it's good points they did not take away that urge to drink. This did. Instantly. Vivitrol has really been a blessing because it not only blocks the urge to use but it goes the extra step of blocking the high if you do drink I was just a Garden variety alcoholic. I drank around the clock. I would even drink in the shower. The funny thing is I never bought into the disease model even while I was sober for years at a stretch. I would eventually pick up a drink because the urge, that voice, the Beast was always there. Not anymore! Vivitrol stopped the brain imbalance that MADE me drink."

GRATEFUL... November 27, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "Naltrexone worked for me! I can't believe the dramatic results I have experienced so far. I was with family/friends all weekend the first two days I was on the meds. I had 2 beers and then NO desire for anymore. I was in great spirits and just didn't feel the need to continue drinking. I would recommend this to anyone struggling with addiction. I finally have hope for my future! My husband couldn't believe it. It's like there is a whole new, much happier me!!!"

Madda (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I am a 28 y/o male, I used all drugs from about 12 but opiates and then IV heroin for about 10 years straight. I went through at least 7-8 rehabs and detoxes and endless county jails. In all those years I never had been able to stay clean more than a month on purpose. I've been clean now 1 year 8 months and a day. Vivitrol saved my life without a doubt. I was on it for 13 months with intensive out patient treatment and as many NA meeting as I could get to in a week. I had some issues sleeping with the first shot but after that the side effects were a headache here and there. Freedom from active addiction is worth any cost. Give it a try if I could do it I promise anyone can."

Jqnit33 November 13, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I became an alcoholic about 4 years ago. I became a bartender at a fancy restaurant and everything totally went south because of that. The place pays awfully well so I could never leave it at the time. It was so easy to get my hands on any booze I wanted from there. I found myself getting in bar fights and totalling my truck and a severe weight gain (60 pounds). When I drink its usually 7 doubles, 4 beers, and 3 shots of tequila in 2-3 hrs. I started naltrexone a month ago and I been sober since. I cannot believe that it lets me handle alcohol all night and not let me get cravings for it. I been waking up at 7am vs 12pm every morning now. This medicine really works, I feel great and have more $$"

true story November 3, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I have been a heavy opiate user for 15 years. I did have years staying "clean" using soboxone but once I got divorced I became depressed and relapsed. My addiction took off and I ended up using IV heroin and at that point trying to go back and use soboxone to stay clean was impossible. It took a overdose and 30 day treatment to make the decision to get the injection and it saved my life, best drug in the world. I know people have fears of breaking a bone or being in severe pain while being on a long lasting opiate blocker but as a paramedic there is 1 opiate narcotic that will not be blocked by vivitrol...I won't tell you which but all docs and paramedics know...so have no fear, DO IT! I have never been happier"

Paulie vivitrolie October 20, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I started naltrexone Dec. of 2014. I started noticing improvement after about 4 weeks. I no longer had hot flashes. Then my pain started to get less and shorter periods of flare ups. Then longer periods of feeling much better and even days of feeling good and not constantly fatigued. This lasted until about 6 weeks ago. I started having hot flashes again and a really bad flare up that has gone on for a month. I'm so disappointed and am now backing off naltrexone so that I can once again take something for the pain."

Butchi October 19, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Yea dude I used the night before my shot bout 5 min after the shot felt it kicking in within 15 I was in full blown withdrawal my mother had to carry me out of the car. Within another 20 min I was screaming in agony. I was told I was incoherent and hallucinating. I was spewing liquid from both ends involuntarily and I mean pouring out like a Fawcett. I've gone cold turkey off opiates before and even complained about what suboxin used to do. But even the precipitated withdrawal from subs is nothing compared to what vivitrol does. Its day 4 and im only starting to stablize"

cultOfPerSonalittyy October 1, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "it's only been 10 days so far..."

kmsummers (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking 4.5 mg naltrexone for about 45 days. It has helped my pain better than any thing in the 20 years I have been suffering with fibro. I still have some bad days but for now I'm seeing more good days and even a great day or two and far less bad days. Until know I was having pain everyday of my life. I had to see a many a dr and had not even heard of this medicine for fibro. I'm getting my life back on track at last."

Aquatina September 30, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was clean a full 7 days before the injection as the protocol suggests. And of course the first thing I was going to do after the injection was use. So, I did 3 hours later. I could tell my receptors were blocked, but not all of them. So when I used, I flooded my still unoccupied receptors with opioids at the same time that the Vivitrol blockers were moving in and immediately began bumping the opioids off the receptors. Within 20 minutes after my use I was in a precipitated withdrawal. The vomiting and cramping, etc were so bad that it was a dangerous 24 hrs. Has anyone else experienced precipitated withdrawal from using opiates AFTER the injection?"

johnpandoljrgmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I got my first vivitrol shot 2 days ago. I was going through opiate withdrawals and alcohol was my daily coffee. I don't hurt or think about using. I actually drink coffee in the morning again. And my family is slowly coming back together. The only thing I have negative about the shot is I am only getting 3-4 hours of toss and turn sleep at night. I work in construction and I need my sleep. But what is weird with little sleep I still can perform my job just the same (commercial plumber/hvac)"

JJbegone (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I am on day 2 of the vivitrol shot. I was a oxi/alcohol user for 3 years and then switched to suboxone detoxed off the subs at 1/4 mg/2mg films . Withdrawals off 1/4 mg were pure hell even.got the vivitrol shot and now I haven't slept in 2 days only 3-4 hours a night. My alcohol cravings aren't as bad but still want a beer. My oxi cravings are gone. I don't hurt or feel restless from the sub withdrawals. I tried taking melatonin to sleep but it don't help. If this sleep pattern persists I am not getting the shot next month."

J.J. Dupree September 27, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Chills, Diarrhea, vomiting."

greek 48 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "NO MORE WIDESPREAD MUSCLE PAIN!! Wonder drug!! I feel so GRATEFUL that my doctor has such knowledge about my condition and put me on this!! So happy to be able to get back to doing the normal things in life!! :)"

Emily June (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I took naltrexone for about 5 months and am now sober 2 years. It is truly a miracle drug, "for me". You have to want to quit!"

northerner58 September 12, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "at this point 14 days of pure HELL !!! . Depression, paranoia, extreme fatigue, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, cycling thoughts. I am convinced this is permanent."

fuck naltrexone (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "but you can't be with people who drink for at least for a year"

gary345 August 20, 2015