User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 34 reviews 7 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 65 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Naltrexone

For Opiate Dependence: "I was on Methadone for 4 years at 140mg and tried twice to taper down and get off. But the withdrawal symptoms going down each time caused stress, anxiety and I failed both times despite my true desire to have my have my life back. I went to the Colman Institute desperate for help to get off deathADONE! It ruined my life, I got fat, I was lazy, unmotivated and it ruined my T count also. I checked in on the 23rd having taken my last dose of Methadone on the 18th and used some H till 3:30 on the 22nd. In eight days I took urine of totally clean of all methadone and H. Then they made a small incision and put in a Naltrexone pellet. Today is May 9th and I'm doing great. All of the sudden my smells come back, my taste, all my senses!"

Deathadone May 8, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Hello my names Jacoby, I'm 21 I'm a heroin addict. I didn't have anything else work for me. When the suboxone was out of my system I'd relapse. Nothing ever worked for me. I had been putting off the shot as long as I could thinking "well what if I get hurt or break something and need pain killers" then I was fed up. I had lost everything and I was an inch away from losing the love of my life. I made the decision to get the shot I've had it a month now and was clean 2 weeks prior to getting it. Now I feel back to myself again. There's no feeling like it. I can wake up in the morning and roll outta bed to go to work when before I couldn't physically get outta bed without doing a half gram. I highly recommend to get this shot! You won't regret it!"

Jacobyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "After partying almost 30 years in a successful, trouble free life, I began taking antabuse pills a few years ago without a recovery program. I was told about vivitrol and it interested me in quitting my prescription hydrocodone, benzo, and drinking. My 1st shot was 10 days ago and it does make your mind content. I can tell the drug is wrapped around my receptors. If I where to attempt to take a drink....it feels like I already had one. Not taking pills is no big deal either. I still take a sleep aid at night and Aleve or Ibuprofen for anything else. I. Am now experiencing eating and sleeping like I've seen normal people do all my life. A spiritual feeling should come along with that for those of you who are willing to make a change."

Hollister resident (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "For 8 years I have consumed on average 90-120 drinks per week (i.e. a drink bring a beer or glass of wine or 1.5 ounces hard liquor). Within 6 weeks on Naltrexone, the number dropped to 60. After 3 months, it is at 30 drinks per week. Next target is 15 drinks, the "safe" normal limit. Then onto nothing. It works. Don't cheat...take it 1 hour before drinking and see a psychologist specialized in addiction too. Naltrexone is not a silver bullet, but is part of the arsenal to combat alcohol dependency."

RoadwarriorVB March 27, 2015

For Opiate Dependence: "I just got my first shot yesterday after detoxing for 4 days I have had no reaction to the shot so far besides not being able to sleep as great as I would have liked to last night. I have been struggling with my addiction to pain pills for many years now tired suboxone and stayed some what clean using here and there when I felt like it I would sale my subs to get h. ive been to a detox center a few times even detoxed myself at home and this is comeing from a person that has bad withdraws like vomiting for 6 days straight but for some reason I would always go right back to it. so reading these comments makes me hopeful for my future and I will let ya know how things are after my second shot."

ash:) (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "My son decided to place himself in rehab for 30days for opiate dep. Had been on suboxone for 6mos. Addicts know how to manipulate medications. After 30days of being clean and intense inpatient rehab he went with the Vivitrol shot when exiting. It was great! No cravings, he felt great. Upon seeing his new psych in outpatient he warned my son about the dangers of Vivitrol to your liver and would only agree to give him one more shot maybe two after the initial shot. He had two shots total after rehab and is doing amazingly well. If you want to remain sober you have to have the mindset to stay sober. The least amount of time you are on this medication the better. Make sure you have liver function tests done. Vivtrol works"

MADDs March 22, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I've been using opiates for 8 yrs now the past 3 I have been a heavy IV heroin user. I have been to at least 10 different programs relapsing every time so I'm considered to be a chronic relapser. This time I chose the vivitrol shot I just got this about 5 days ago on the day I was released from rehab and I can guarantee you if it wasn't for this I would be high. This is early in but I have no cravings my mind is clear Definitely going to get the whole year my insurance is goin to pay out.. As for side effects maybe small common ones that you can look up but nothing to complain about. This is the shit y'all, ain't not one bad thing....go get you some"

Chronicwitit March 18, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I have been drinking very heavily for the past seven years and about a liter to a half gallon a day for the past year. I have been to inpatient rehabs that have lasted from 30 to 90 days and always drank the day I got out. I have been in and out of AA, tried the 12 steps, and tried different sponsors. I could never put more than a week sober together. I finally got my doctor to prescribe it to me after asking many times and now I have 5 months sober. For me that is a miracle. I have never in my life felt better. I have no cravings and the strange thing is I don't remember what it felt like to drink so I feel pre alcoholic again. The thought of drinking just does not come across my mind anymore. This is a well kept secret for a reason."

Papadave (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was so nervous to get the shot after reading all of the horror stories on the Internet. However, it was absolute rubbish. I went in to get my shot having not used for 11-12 days after cold turkey from a nasty prescription pill habit. Roughly 90-120mgs per day and using suboxone a few days a week when I couldn't afford the pills. The people who are feeding you these nightmare precipitated withdrawal stories are getting the shot with opiates still in their system. Obviously, the more and longer you use, the longer it may take for you to get completely opiate free. But 10-14 days is long enough for nearly anybody. Just have the Doctor give you the challenge with Naloxone before he gives you the vivitrol. If you have no reaction you'll be good"

Percolator March 4, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I took the Vivitrol for the recommended year, and have not had cravings and remain alcohol free (since 1-31-14). In some ways, I think it also helped me quit smoking. However after 13 shots I feel stiffer than I ever have, and I was wondering if anyone else shared this experience. Some days my shoulders are almost immoveable. I didn't feel this way before the medicine, and I was wondering if there was a correlation. It is actually painful to get out of bed some days."

jbirmi58 March 2, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been a heavy alcohol dependant for 20 yrs, been in detox counsellors all that. Until 34 days ago being the 4th day sober I went to the docs, he supplied naltrexone, still sober I'm also on anti depressants and diazepam for anxiety. I don't crave, the thought drinking makes me feel sick. You have to want to give up honestly and like everything else if you follow your plan it will work. I feel strong and powerful being sober!!Good luck all."

Toniastar February 26, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "Got my second shot today. It literally took away the urge to dr ink. So far so good."

dtowngal (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "First shot five days out of rehab, now on my fourth, longest clean time I've had in over five years, such an amazing non addictive non opiod replacement. Gives me the power back to say yes to the shot once every 28 days (I take oral naltrexone starting daily @ day 21) and I have a life again, I'm no longer just a junkie but a daughter, sister, fiance, friend, and have an amazing job. I am a RECOVERING addict. Amazing what rehab, meetings, IOP, and this wonderful tool can do for a herion/oxy/methadone/all opiates IV drug user like me, only needle in my body in 5 months lidocane followed by vivitrol, never thought it could happen as much as I wanted to be clean."

ryanchristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "Been fighting mild alcohol dependance, binge drinking, for a number of years and heard about naltrexone. I took it for a bit last year using the Sinclair method with some success but I wasn't disciplined and under some abnormal life stresses I lost my path. I have again taken it up in the last two months and my alcohol consumption has reduced by 2/3rds. No hangover in 2 months which is miraculous. I get the urge to drink a couple of times a week, usually after a stressful day at work, I take the pill wait an hour and start drinking a beer. Midway through the second beer the desire to continue drinking has gone. Some nausea but much preferable to alcohol effects. If you are a borderline alcoholic it can work wonders."

mced (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Started Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) which is known to modulate the immune system. Calms, sit down if necessary, or kicks it in gear. Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in 2010 with a rheumatoid factor (RF) of 361. Started antibiotic therapy (described at Rheumatic.org/faq) in September 2010. Summer of 2012 my RF was down to 25. Started LDN that fall. RF now down to 14.9 (0-14.5 is normal). I have NO symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Even my doctor is impressed. The LDN helped boost my health overall. It even prevented my seasonal hayfever. I have found, however, that not all generics are created equal. "

Awondergal January 30, 2015

For Alcohol Dependence: "I cannot speak highly enough of this medicine. I used to drink a case of beer per week, sometimes more. I've been trying to control my drinking for 3-5 years with no results. After starting on Naltrexone, now I can take it or leave it - I have beer in the house but it doesn't control me in the slightest. To be honest, I lose interest in beer and end up pouring it down the drain because I can't finish the can! I began by taking a half dose for the first 10 days, which was good because it does cause some drowsiness/sluggishness. I'm also losing weight because my appetite is not what it used to be. Hope this is helpful to someone else out there who wants a medical aid to curbing (or eliminating) their excessive drinking."

Freed From Dependence (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: "I took my 1st Vivitrol shot around 9/10/14, 2nd -3rd-4th-and the fifth shot 01/04/15. By injection 30 days apart. I can honestly tell you that I have not had any cravings for alcohol since the very 1st day of shot. I can personally tell you that I have not had any side effects. Some people may have but I have not. I now speak at my rehab center (Clarity) where I was at. I'm a firm believer in Vivitrol. Saved my life. I will take it for a year."

jackrice1947 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Vivitrol is amazing. My daughter just received her 9th shot and my son his 3 shot. Before this shot my kids only worry was their next high. Today they are enjoying life as college students! We tried other options like Suboxone & Zubsolve as well as several rehabs. It always ended after 60 or 90 days with relapse. This shot has allowed my 2 youngest (19 & 21) a chance at a real life. They tell me they have no cravings & the best part is that its not a daily choice to take a medicine. They only have to make the decision 1x a month. Of course they are using the Vivitrol along with A LOT of counseling. The hardest part for the addict is to stay clean the 7 days prior."

happy mama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I had a reaction to cold medication so check with you doctor before you take anything. No real cravings, life is good."

crash719 December 21, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "My son has been on Vivitrol for 11 months for opiate dependence. It has allowed him to get his life back on track. I worry about how long he can continue to receive the shot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2014

For Alcohol Dependence: "I've been a active alcoholic for 10 years. Started socially. I went through treatment once and relapsed. Alcoholism for me has given me depression, anxiety, insomnia, OCD, stress, and the worse of them all racing thoughts. Classic right? I'm on day 4, but noticed the difference RIGHT away. It made me a bit queasy and in a daze of some sort, but I slept wonderfully and woke up at EASE and I have been everyday since I started. I have NO cravings whatsoever for alcohol, the thought of it actually repulses me. Anyways, I agree with everyone saying that this medication is God sent. Remaining steady with my thoughts has helped me already socially, with my kids and my job. I have happy tears to of finally found something that held onto me for YEARS"

Kristinadarlin July 10, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict."

Ex-Addict9999 June 17, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "I noticed its effects same day. At first I thought it was just a placebo type of effect, I was told it would work so I thought it would work. But when I read up on it, I read that the medicine would work that quickly. I no longer think of when and where and how much I can drink. My dreams are no longer haunted with the same thoughts. I feel like a real person again. I don't feel dependent on alcohol. Even if the alcohol is there, I don't feel as if I need to drink it."

Hanoreo May 29, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Alcohol Dependence: "So far it is nothing short of miraculous. I had to beg my psychiatrist to try this. He is a shrink at an addiction clinic and he seemed to know nothing about the this. Anyway. I started an IOP a week before but I was still drinking a bottle of vodka a night. I was getting hopeless so I did my research about this medicine and went in to see him. Long story short...He gave me a two month prescription for 50 mg's. I took it before I was out of the pharmacy and about a half an hour later I had no desire to drink AT ALL. That was 5 days ago and I still feel the same. I was a pretty bad drunk and have had really bad withdrawals in the past. This time ..I still have some side withdrawals but nothing too bad and no desire to drink."

Tomitaco (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: "Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out."

JustonB84 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014