Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 25 reviews 7 medications

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 46 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Naltrexone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: My son has been on Vivitrol for 11 months for opiate dependence. It has allowed him to get his life back on track. I worry about how long he can continue to receive the shot.

August 6, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by Kristinadarlin:

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been a active alcoholic for 10 years. Started socially. I went through treatment once and relapsed. Alcoholism for me has given me depression, anxiety, insomnia, OCD, stress, and the worse of them all racing thoughts. Classic right? I'm on day 4, but noticed the difference RIGHT away. It made me a bit queasy and in a daze of some sort, but I slept wonderfully and woke up at EASE and I have been everyday since I started. I have NO cravings whatsoever for alcohol, the thought of it actually repulses me. Anyways, I agree with everyone saying that this medication is God sent. Remaining steady with my thoughts has helped me already socially, with my kids and my job. I have happy tears to of finally found something that held onto me for YEARS

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by Ex-Addict9999:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict.

June 17, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by Hanoreo:

For Alcohol Dependence: I noticed its effects same day. At first I thought it was just a placebo type of effect, I was told it would work so I thought it would work. But when I read up on it, I read that the medicine would work that quickly. I no longer think of when and where and how much I can drink. My dreams are no longer haunted with the same thoughts. I feel like a real person again. I don't feel dependent on alcohol. Even if the alcohol is there, I don't feel as if I need to drink it.

May 29, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Tomitaco (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: So far it is nothing short of miraculous. I had to beg my psychiatrist to try this. He is a shrink at an addiction clinic and he seemed to know nothing about the this. Anyway. I started an IOP a week before but I was still drinking a bottle of vodka a night. I was getting hopeless so I did my research about this medicine and went in to see him. Long story short...He gave me a two month prescription for 50 mg's. I took it before I was out of the pharmacy and about a half an hour later I had no desire to drink AT ALL. That was 5 days ago and I still feel the same. I was a pretty bad drunk and have had really bad withdrawals in the past. This time ..I still have some side withdrawals but nothing too bad and no desire to drink.

May 17, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by JustonB84 (taken for less than 1 month):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out.

April 19, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Phnx59555:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: Vivitrol saved my life and career. Use was 15 10/325 Norcos a day for one year. The hardest part is before you get the shot, being abstinent from opiates for 7 days but if you have an informed doctor they give you different medications to make your withdrawal more tolerable. It was do-able I was terrified but I promise it's possible. Once I had the shot I felt like myself again no cravings. Only side effect I had was a tiny little bit of soreness at injection site. Other than that I felt NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. Zero. That was my experience, my advise if you proceed with this is make sure you find a doctor who knows what they are doing, it makes a difference. Go to addiction specialist if possible.

April 6, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by Mel999:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 12 years (took 5 mg of hydrocodone daily). I was able to work, function as a normal person & pain was manageable. In June I had several pulled muscles & a rotator cuff injury - pain was off the charts. The doctors in Tucson will not write pain meds under any circumstances - cut me off cold turkey and I pulled neck muscle. For 6 months my pain level was a 15 (scale of 1-10) suicidal pain with no relief in site. I was referred to country doctor in Wilcox, AZ - he said he would write me pain meds, but was I willing to try a alternate prescription that would possible get rid of my pain. I started out with 4.5mg daily at night and within 4 weeks my pain went down to around 2-3.

April 2, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by PAC79 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I started taking naltrexone 4 days ago, 25mg initially. Also taking Cipramil for depression/anxiety. I have found with naltrexone I rarely think about drinking, and if I do it is just a fleeting thought that passes whereas before the thought would take hold and that would be all I could think about until I got a drink. I haven't tried drinking on it and don't feel like I want too. I have had some side effects and not sure if this is because I'm taking Cipramil too, mainly feeling a bit spaced out. I took a full 50mg yesterday, after about an hour couldn't keep my eyes open. Today I'll try taking at night. So glad I'm on this medicine though, its helping with some obsessive compulsive disorder traits I have.

March 15, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Chad Hardesty:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: I have had the shot several times in the the past but that has been over three years ago and I did have some side effects. The worst was vomiting in the morning but it lasted about an hour after I woke up. It lasted for 2 weeks everytime I got the shot. It has been 3 years and I started the shot again. I got the shot 3 days ago and I have one swollen lymph node under my neck and my stomach is messed up with craps but it cramps I have never felt. They hurt but only in the morning and I don't get sick. They are not that bad. I know one thing that sucked is my anxiety has increased which is a problem for me and kind of scary. The shot is a good idea even with the side effects, its 1000 times better than being dope sick.

February 18, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by drunknomore:

For Alcohol Dependence: Naltrexone is awesome! I have been through hospitalizations, AA and rehab. Naltrexone took away 90% of my urges/craving for alcohol. My doctor also put me on Campral and now I am 100% free of urges/cravings. The only thing I don't like is that I can't ejaculate during sex. My doctor said that will go away. Your insurance will cover these meds as long as your doctor puts in a pre-authorization. I got control of my life back because of these medicines.

February 2, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Akrissify (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Alcohol Dependence: Naltrexone is very effective and quick-acting: prior to commencing treatment, I would drink 2 bottles of wine each and every evening without fail. Naltrexone helped me break this habit very quickly - it starts working from the very first tablet you take. After 4 weeks of Naltrexone therapy, I could pass 6-7 days without touching a single drop of alcohol. This medication has helped me rebuild my life. The side effects from Naltrexone are minor: tiredness and anxiety and sometimes heart palpitations. For best results, take the Naltrexone around 4 or 5pm - this is a few hours before the usual time I would start drinking alcohol.

November 1, 2013 7:13 PM

Review by JG64 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Amazing in its ability to calm the cravings for alcohol. The only issue: I've been virtually impotent since taking my first pill over a week ago.

October 31, 2013 6:36 PM

Review by DustyB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: I read about the Sinclair Method a few years ago, but it took me several doctors to finally find one to prescribe Naltrexone. It is only FDA approved for use with abstinence, which is why most physicians aren't likely to prescribe it per the Sinclair Method. I finally found a psychiatrist who agreed to try it with me. I split the tablets for the first two days to get used to it. I noticed its effects immediately. I take one tablet one hour before I feel like drinking something, usually in the late afternoon. I don't really feel any different after I take it, except that I have a much lower "craving" and I drink about 30%-80% less now. Sometimes makes me a little queasy or tired, but I haven't had a blackout or a hangover since. I love it!

October 15, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by ramz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Dependence: Made me extremely sick. I have shortness of breath, my joints are all swollen and ache, major stomach pains. I ended up in the hospital where I was informed I had a severe reaction to it.

October 8, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by CCZZCC:

Revia (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: I do not obsess over alcohol like I used to. On occasion when I have wanted a glass of wine, I take it approximately an hour prior and can actually drink like a normal person (1-2 glasses vs. 1-2 bottles). This medication is a God send.

August 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by Alcoholisevil:

For Alcohol Dependence: I believe this medication works to shut off the reward system and also perhaps cravings. It helped me stop drinking for five weeks, only problem is you must have the desire to stop drinking to keep taking it. If you do take it, it definitely helps by stopping the high of drinking, perhaps to the level of someone who never really liked the taste of alcohol or could stop at 'just one' instead of 'just one more.'

August 20, 2013 2:32 AM

Review by Nonymus (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: Since I began taking 5 mg naltrexone at night, I fall asleep quickly, I sleep very well for 8 to 9 hours. I wake up refreshed and without pain. I no longer take antidepressants, sleeping pills, anxiety or pain medication. My mental functioning is much better but not back to Pre-CFIDS standard. I don't have normal energy or drive but my life is so much closer to normal than it was a year ago, I have no complaints. The only other medication I take is for high blood pressure. The only side effect I have is a slight headache when I wake in the morning but it ALWAYS goes away soon after I get up. I would take this medication if the only thing I got from it was good quality sleep.

August 20, 2013 1:32 AM

Review by Boyadog (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I Relapsed on Alcohol after being Sober for 15 years .. I was having a tough time getting back on the wagon... These pills helped.

May 6, 2013 2:29 AM

Review by NewToNal (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Took my first Naltrexone pill yesterday. Waited for an hour and felt calm. Decided to try the Sinclair Method my opening a bottle of wine. I never drank so slow in my life and could not go past a glass and a half. This has not happened to me in over 10 years. I can down 2 bottle of wines plus more on a daily basis and yesterday I experienced something so different. I threw away the rest of the wine. I am going to use this for a year and see if I can break out of the habit. It has been prescribed in the UK for alcohol treatment for over a year now and addiction clinics can prescribe them under some guidance.

April 24, 2013 11:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Opiate Dependence: I am now 20 years old and have struggled to kick my heroin addiction for the past 6 years. After four treatment centers and a ton of detox's my doctor finally told me about naltrexone. I found a doctor right away and started getting my injections! I am now almost 6 months sober and recently found out I was pregnant. So now I face the question of continue my injection or stop because of the complications it could have on my pregnancy. Although their is no studies or information about it hurting my baby they also don't have any idea.

April 21, 2013 6:42 PM

Review by TransRenee:

For Alcohol Dependence: I started drinking in high school, alcoholism runs in my family and I started early. I tried AA and 5 rehab facilities but always started drinking again. I never had any will power or control, but alcoholics rarely do. Over 10 years ago now a doctor asked me if I wanted to try this medication and it worked from day one. It took away my cravings, changed the way I functioned, my entire life. At 46 years old I was sober and staying sober for the first time. I now have a little over 10 years sobriety. Run don't walk to your doctor to try this medication. It can give you the life we use to only dream of. Good luck!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2013 11:27 PM

Review by Blueskydreary500 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Revia (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: This medication has helped me exponentially, I was addicted to opiates for the past 8 years. I was in and out of hospitals with no positive outcome in sight, this is the first time I have been able to maintain any kind of sobriety. Along with other support the cravings have never been so minimal. All I can say is that I'm truly happy that I was prescribed this medication.

January 19, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by piscesuno (taken for 10 years or more):

For Alcohol Dependence: I Discovered 1984 Naltrexone was available in the USA. I am Australian, Started Social Drinking at 19yrs. Became Totally Alcohol Dependent at 24yrs. In & Out of Trouble with the Law. Many Episodes of detox. AA did Not work for me. Finally a Hospital in 2000 allowed me Into their Limited Detox Unit. I read literature on Naltrexone for Drug Addicts & Alcoholics, Asked the Drs could We try this Naltrexone as Nothing has Ever Worked . Will Power NO. Detox on many Occasions NO. Relationships Broken due to my Alcoholism. Finally in 2000 Nov. First given 50mg in Detox. Out of Hospital I drank on the side & became So ill! Aug 2001. That was It! I'm 62yrs Now! Wish Naltrexone was Available when I was 24yrs Old. Sober Now since Aug 2001.

December 7, 2012 10:01 PM

Review by Kazbot (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been dealing with alcohol dependence for over 15 years. Have tried counseling numerous times on advise from previous doctors but always returned to drinking. Finally found a doctor who identified my patterns as worthy of medication. I've been on naltrexone for 3 weeks now and I feel like I have my brain back, my thoughts are healthy, I can go out to see bands with my mates and not feel like I want a drink, I have fun and enjoy a sober night. This medication is a blessing and I would recommend it highly. Small side effect of constipation, but nothing a little extra fiber can't help with.

November 25, 2012 5:59 PM