Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Alcohol Dependence 29 reviews 7 medications

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Naltrexone reviews 52 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Naltrexone

Review by Toniastar:

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been a heavy alcohol dependant for 20 yrs, been in detox counsellors all that. Until 34 days ago being the 4th day sober I went to the docs, he supplied naltrexone, still sober I'm also on anti depressants and diazepam for anxiety. I don't crave, the thought drinking makes me feel sick. You have to want to give up honestly and like everything else if you follow your plan it will work. I feel strong and powerful being sober!!Good luck all.

February 26, 2015 12:59 AM

Review by dtowngal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: Got my second shot today. It literally took away the urge to dr ink. So far so good.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2015 7:39 PM

Review by Freed From Dependence (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: I cannot speak highly enough of this medicine. I used to drink a case of beer per week, sometimes more. I've been trying to control my drinking for 3-5 years with no results. After starting on Naltrexone, now I can take it or leave it - I have beer in the house but it doesn't control me in the slightest. To be honest, I lose interest in beer and end up pouring it down the drain because I can't finish the can! I began by taking a half dose for the first 10 days, which was good because it does cause some drowsiness/sluggishness. I'm also losing weight because my appetite is not what it used to be. Hope this is helpful to someone else out there who wants a medical aid to curbing (or eliminating) their excessive drinking.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2015 3:40 PM

Review by jackrice1947 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: I took my 1st Vivitrol shot around 9/10/14, 2nd -3rd-4th-and the fifth shot 01/04/15. By injection 30 days apart. I can honestly tell you that I have not had any cravings for alcohol since the very 1st day of shot. I can personally tell you that I have not had any side effects. Some people may have but I have not. I now speak at my rehab center (Clarity) where I was at. I'm a firm believer in Vivitrol. Saved my life. I will take it for a year.

January 8, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by happy mama (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: Vivitrol is amazing. My daughter just received her 9th shot and my son his 3 shot. Before this shot my kids only worry was their next high. Today they are enjoying life as college students! We tried other options like Suboxone & Zubsolve as well as several rehabs. It always ended after 60 or 90 days with relapse. This shot has allowed my 2 youngest (19 & 21) a chance at a real life. They tell me they have no cravings & the best part is that its not a daily choice to take a medicine. They only have to make the decision 1x a month. Of course they are using the Vivitrol along with A LOT of counseling. The hardest part for the addict is to stay clean the 7 days prior.

January 6, 2015 12:14 AM

Review by crash719:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: I had a reaction to cold medication so check with you doctor before you take anything. No real cravings, life is good.

December 21, 2014 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: My son has been on Vivitrol for 11 months for opiate dependence. It has allowed him to get his life back on track. I worry about how long he can continue to receive the shot.

August 6, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by Kristinadarlin:

For Alcohol Dependence: I've been a active alcoholic for 10 years. Started socially. I went through treatment once and relapsed. Alcoholism for me has given me depression, anxiety, insomnia, OCD, stress, and the worse of them all racing thoughts. Classic right? I'm on day 4, but noticed the difference RIGHT away. It made me a bit queasy and in a daze of some sort, but I slept wonderfully and woke up at EASE and I have been everyday since I started. I have NO cravings whatsoever for alcohol, the thought of it actually repulses me. Anyways, I agree with everyone saying that this medication is God sent. Remaining steady with my thoughts has helped me already socially, with my kids and my job. I have happy tears to of finally found something that held onto me for YEARS

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by Ex-Addict9999:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by Hanoreo:

For Alcohol Dependence: I noticed its effects same day. At first I thought it was just a placebo type of effect, I was told it would work so I thought it would work. But when I read up on it, I read that the medicine would work that quickly. I no longer think of when and where and how much I can drink. My dreams are no longer haunted with the same thoughts. I feel like a real person again. I don't feel dependent on alcohol. Even if the alcohol is there, I don't feel as if I need to drink it.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Tomitaco (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: So far it is nothing short of miraculous. I had to beg my psychiatrist to try this. He is a shrink at an addiction clinic and he seemed to know nothing about the this. Anyway. I started an IOP a week before but I was still drinking a bottle of vodka a night. I was getting hopeless so I did my research about this medicine and went in to see him. Long story short...He gave me a two month prescription for 50 mg's. I took it before I was out of the pharmacy and about a half an hour later I had no desire to drink AT ALL. That was 5 days ago and I still feel the same. I was a pretty bad drunk and have had really bad withdrawals in the past. This time ..I still have some side withdrawals but nothing too bad and no desire to drink.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 17, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by JustonB84 (taken for less than 1 month):

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out.

April 19, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Phnx59555:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: Vivitrol saved my life and career. Use was 15 10/325 Norcos a day for one year. The hardest part is before you get the shot, being abstinent from opiates for 7 days but if you have an informed doctor they give you different medications to make your withdrawal more tolerable. It was do-able I was terrified but I promise it's possible. Once I had the shot I felt like myself again no cravings. Only side effect I had was a tiny little bit of soreness at injection site. Other than that I felt NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. Zero. That was my experience, my advise if you proceed with this is make sure you find a doctor who knows what they are doing, it makes a difference. Go to addiction specialist if possible.

April 6, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by Mel999:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 12 years (took 5 mg of hydrocodone daily). I was able to work, function as a normal person & pain was manageable. In June I had several pulled muscles & a rotator cuff injury - pain was off the charts. The doctors in Tucson will not write pain meds under any circumstances - cut me off cold turkey and I pulled neck muscle. For 6 months my pain level was a 15 (scale of 1-10) suicidal pain with no relief in site. I was referred to country doctor in Wilcox, AZ - he said he would write me pain meds, but was I willing to try a alternate prescription that would possible get rid of my pain. I started out with 4.5mg daily at night and within 4 weeks my pain went down to around 2-3.

April 2, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by PAC79 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I started taking naltrexone 4 days ago, 25mg initially. Also taking Cipramil for depression/anxiety. I have found with naltrexone I rarely think about drinking, and if I do it is just a fleeting thought that passes whereas before the thought would take hold and that would be all I could think about until I got a drink. I haven't tried drinking on it and don't feel like I want too. I have had some side effects and not sure if this is because I'm taking Cipramil too, mainly feeling a bit spaced out. I took a full 50mg yesterday, after about an hour couldn't keep my eyes open. Today I'll try taking at night. So glad I'm on this medicine though, its helping with some obsessive compulsive disorder traits I have.

March 15, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Chad Hardesty:

Vivitrol (naltrexone) for Opiate Dependence: I have had the shot several times in the the past but that has been over three years ago and I did have some side effects. The worst was vomiting in the morning but it lasted about an hour after I woke up. It lasted for 2 weeks everytime I got the shot. It has been 3 years and I started the shot again. I got the shot 3 days ago and I have one swollen lymph node under my neck and my stomach is messed up with craps but it cramps I have never felt. They hurt but only in the morning and I don't get sick. They are not that bad. I know one thing that sucked is my anxiety has increased which is a problem for me and kind of scary. The shot is a good idea even with the side effects, its 1000 times better than being dope sick.

February 18, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by drunknomore:

For Alcohol Dependence: Naltrexone is awesome! I have been through hospitalizations, AA and rehab. Naltrexone took away 90% of my urges/craving for alcohol. My doctor also put me on Campral and now I am 100% free of urges/cravings. The only thing I don't like is that I can't ejaculate during sex. My doctor said that will go away. Your insurance will cover these meds as long as your doctor puts in a pre-authorization. I got control of my life back because of these medicines.

February 2, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Akrissify (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Alcohol Dependence: Naltrexone is very effective and quick-acting: prior to commencing treatment, I would drink 2 bottles of wine each and every evening without fail. Naltrexone helped me break this habit very quickly - it starts working from the very first tablet you take. After 4 weeks of Naltrexone therapy, I could pass 6-7 days without touching a single drop of alcohol. This medication has helped me rebuild my life. The side effects from Naltrexone are minor: tiredness and anxiety and sometimes heart palpitations. For best results, take the Naltrexone around 4 or 5pm - this is a few hours before the usual time I would start drinking alcohol.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 1, 2013 7:13 PM

Review by JG64 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: Amazing in its ability to calm the cravings for alcohol. The only issue: I've been virtually impotent since taking my first pill over a week ago.

October 31, 2013 6:36 PM

Review by DustyB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alcohol Dependence: I read about the Sinclair Method a few years ago, but it took me several doctors to finally find one to prescribe Naltrexone. It is only FDA approved for use with abstinence, which is why most physicians aren't likely to prescribe it per the Sinclair Method. I finally found a psychiatrist who agreed to try it with me. I split the tablets for the first two days to get used to it. I noticed its effects immediately. I take one tablet one hour before I feel like drinking something, usually in the late afternoon. I don't really feel any different after I take it, except that I have a much lower "craving" and I drink about 30%-80% less now. Sometimes makes me a little queasy or tired, but I haven't had a blackout or a hangover since. I love it!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by ramz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Opiate Dependence: Made me extremely sick. I have shortness of breath, my joints are all swollen and ache, major stomach pains. I ended up in the hospital where I was informed I had a severe reaction to it.

October 8, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by CCZZCC:

Revia (naltrexone) for Alcohol Dependence: I do not obsess over alcohol like I used to. On occasion when I have wanted a glass of wine, I take it approximately an hour prior and can actually drink like a normal person (1-2 glasses vs. 1-2 bottles). This medication is a God send.

August 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by Alcoholisevil:

For Alcohol Dependence: I believe this medication works to shut off the reward system and also perhaps cravings. It helped me stop drinking for five weeks, only problem is you must have the desire to stop drinking to keep taking it. If you do take it, it definitely helps by stopping the high of drinking, perhaps to the level of someone who never really liked the taste of alcohol or could stop at 'just one' instead of 'just one more.'

August 20, 2013 2:32 AM

Review by Nonymus (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: Since I began taking 5 mg naltrexone at night, I fall asleep quickly, I sleep very well for 8 to 9 hours. I wake up refreshed and without pain. I no longer take antidepressants, sleeping pills, anxiety or pain medication. My mental functioning is much better but not back to Pre-CFIDS standard. I don't have normal energy or drive but my life is so much closer to normal than it was a year ago, I have no complaints. The only other medication I take is for high blood pressure. The only side effect I have is a slight headache when I wake in the morning but it ALWAYS goes away soon after I get up. I would take this medication if the only thing I got from it was good quality sleep.

August 20, 2013 1:32 AM

Review by Boyadog (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Dependence: I Relapsed on Alcohol after being Sober for 15 years .. I was having a tough time getting back on the wagon... These pills helped.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 2:29 AM