User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Fibromyalgia

"I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Regional Sympathetic Distrophy .I started LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone, 4.5mg) during a Stanford double blind trial in January 2016 and received a months supply. During the first week I felt some of the muscle cramping associated with Naltrexone but that and my nerve pain subsided after about a week. The next three weeks sailed by and my activity level increased as I was essentially free of CRPS/RSD nerve pain. The chronic pain in my lower back was significantly decreasing too. When my supply ran out I experienced some of the CRPS/RSD pain but not at the level I'd had before. That wasn't the case with my chronic lower back pain and that came rearing back. It was a month before my Dr could get me the compounded LDN. Again, my pain has dissipated. Weening off Gabapentin soon!"

Greg in OR March 17, 2016

"I have never been this functional before. 8 months ago my functional capacity was at 50%. All I was doing was work, recover, and burn through an excessive amount of sick, vacation, and banked time. At home I was almost zombie like. I would spend all of my time curled up on the sofa in pain, fog, or fatigue. Thanks to LDN: Today I was able to pool run for 30 min! I did laundry and sorted all of the socks. Yesterday we had friends over to hang out for the first time in ages. I was able to go to a movie. I was tired after it all but it wasn't an all encompassing thing. I flirted with my fianc"

Zaxacava February 22, 2016

"I have been on naltrexone for 5 months, and it's not done a good job of helping with my pain."

lauralisk (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2016

"I started naltrexone Dec. of 2014. I started noticing improvement after about 4 weeks. I no longer had hot flashes. Then my pain started to get less and shorter periods of flare ups. Then longer periods of feeling much better and even days of feeling good and not constantly fatigued. This lasted until about 6 weeks ago. I started having hot flashes again and a really bad flare up that has gone on for a month. I'm so disappointed and am now backing off naltrexone so that I can once again take something for the pain."

Butchi October 19, 2015

"I've been taking 4.5 mg naltrexone for about 45 days. It has helped my pain better than any thing in the 20 years I have been suffering with fibro. I still have some bad days but for now I'm seeing more good days and even a great day or two and far less bad days. Until know I was having pain everyday of my life. I had to see a many a dr and had not even heard of this medicine for fibro. I'm getting my life back on track at last."

Aquatina September 30, 2015

"Chills, Diarrhea, vomiting."

greek 48 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

"NO MORE WIDESPREAD MUSCLE PAIN!! Wonder drug!! I feel so GRATEFUL that my doctor has such knowledge about my condition and put me on this!! So happy to be able to get back to doing the normal things in life!! :)"

Emily June (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2015

"Started Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) which is known to modulate the immune system. Calms, sit down if necessary, or kicks it in gear. Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in 2010 with a rheumatoid factor (RF) of 361. Started antibiotic therapy (described at Rheumatic.org/faq) in September 2010. Summer of 2012 my RF was down to 25. Started LDN that fall. RF now down to 14.9 (0-14.5 is normal). I have NO symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Even my doctor is impressed. The LDN helped boost my health overall. It even prevented my seasonal hayfever. I have found, however, that not all generics are created equal. "

Awondergal January 30, 2015

"I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia for 12 years (took 5 mg of hydrocodone daily). I was able to work, function as a normal person & pain was manageable. In June I had several pulled muscles & a rotator cuff injury - pain was off the charts. The doctors in Tucson will not write pain meds under any circumstances - cut me off cold turkey and I pulled neck muscle. For 6 months my pain level was a 15 (scale of 1-10) suicidal pain with no relief in site. I was referred to country doctor in Wilcox, AZ - he said he would write me pain meds, but was I willing to try a alternate prescription that would possible get rid of my pain. I started out with 4.5mg daily at night and within 4 weeks my pain went down to around 2-3."

Mel999 April 2, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Since I began taking 5 mg naltrexone at night, I fall asleep quickly, I sleep very well for 8 to 9 hours. I wake up refreshed and without pain. I no longer take antidepressants, sleeping pills, anxiety or pain medication. My mental functioning is much better but not back to Pre-CFIDS standard. I don't have normal energy or drive but my life is so much closer to normal than it was a year ago, I have no complaints. The only other medication I take is for high blood pressure. The only side effect I have is a slight headache when I wake in the morning but it ALWAYS goes away soon after I get up. I would take this medication if the only thing I got from it was good quality sleep."

Nonymus (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication reduced my fibromyalgia pain and some other symptoms significantly more than any of the other medications or combination of treatments usually prescribed for fibromyalgia. Initial side effects easily managed by starting at a very low dose."

gigantor (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2012

"This did nothing to help my fibromyalgia."

Anonymous November 28, 2009