User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

"You cannot avoid opiates without Naltrexone being addictive mindset we continue push our efforts in getting next fix but if there is no reward I mean high then wants the use being opiate user for last 10 years tried almost every opiate available I could say that this is one pill or shot you must not forget to take although initially there is trouble sleeping,loose bowel(very bad) sex drive nil but I hope this is temporary since only been week or so taking this pill earlier taken for two.months then relapsed that's why it's important to remind yourself that this pill can only save your life,All the best to recovering addicts"

Rsgvan (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Today was my first shot and feel pretty damn good no side effects yet. Guessing no sleep issues as I went home and took a nice nap. I hope this drug is what lots of people say. The hardest part as everyone knows is getting to this shot. Started 10 yrs ago or more can't remember anymore with pills and then eventually to sniffing a ton of H every day. I nodded out in a car and almost killed someone which still didn't stop me. Only the potential loss of my kids and family support got me here. So far so good. If I can do this anyone can so please try. Your life is worth it. So amazed at how clear things are becoming only a month sober!"

BD84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Can not enjoy sex over 2 minutes, can not stay erect and can not ejaculate."

dontcum (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've had 9 surgerys to my right foot from 2006-2014.. I've had any and all pain meds you can imagine. Obviously got addicted taking 8-10 percs a day.. Beside when I got pregnant I didn't take any but after this last surgery in Jan I promised myself and for my kids to do anything in my power to quit... Found out about this shot and it works wonders I'm so grateful I got my life back. GOT MY 1st SHOT 10 days ago.. NO CRAVINGS TOTALLY NORMAL FEELING... CAN'T WAIT TO CONTINUE BEING SOBER N LIVING LIFE HOW I REALLY DESERVED!!!! #27 days clean"

Thighsograteful (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"I have been an IV opiate user for many years. I had an insanely large habit ($750-$1000day). After attending rehab, I was put on the Vivitrol injection. I had been clean for 20 days by the time I go the injection. I did still have cravings, as I was so early into recovery and had been using for so long. However, after about a week of being on the shot, I relapsed on 3.5g of heroin, and felt nothing. It can't be overrode. I spent the next year shooting. And finally started to take the pill form. The pill form will block any opiate for 3-5 days (in my experience). I am now 9 months clean, and very rarely have cravings."

Steven87 April 20, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Hello again, I'm following up on my first review from January 27th of 2016. I've now had 4 Vivitrol injections and gotta say, it's worked wonders. The first injection, as I said, caused migraines, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Every injection I've recieved since has been good. No symptoms whatsoever, only positive results. I've been clean since November 17th of 2015. This shot is truly a lifesaver, my cravings are less frequent and very short lived. I reccomend this shot to anyone struggling with opioid dependency. My next injection is tomorrow and I'm sure the results will be the same as the last 3."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I still don't know if cravings and anxiety are one and the same, but I've been on this for 6 months. I notice a lot of headaches, increased anxiety, depression, insomnia and male sexual problems. I still need 0.5 mg Xanax 5 times a day for the anxiety, and Ambien CR for insomnia. The product coordination nurses deny that this causes male sexual side effects, I've had sex twice in 6 months on Vivitol, and that includes my honeymoon. I think Vivitrol helped me the most by making it clear that if I tried any opiates, I could overdose immediately and die. So I've put up with the side-effects, but I hope to be off this in 1 year. And, yes, I want my sex life back."

Otter773 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was a heavey IV user for 2 years have been in and out of treatmeant programs relasping every time. My doctor who was prescribing me subs told me she had to cut me off because I could not pass urine analysis. So basicallly she started telling me about this shot that she was getting trained on and could give me next week, the vivitrol shot. She told me I needed to be at least 7 days clean before getting it otherwise I would have severe withdrawal. Finally I manned up went in to see my doctor told her I couldn't stay clean and that I had used the previous day but I wanted her to give me the shot anyway. Got the shot by the time I got to the car iIwas in full out precipitated withdrawal. Day 4 feeling better just cant sleep at all."

Thrilla133 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've been an opiate addict 7yrs. When I first became addicted OC where everywhere. A few years later I struggled to find any oxycotin, shortly they changed from OC to op struggled with for a while. I just wanted out I tried suboxone but it didn't work for me because I have a migraine issue, so I joined a methadone clinic and became a functioning addict. I was on methadone for 3 yrs. I kept clean from any other drug throughout my time on methadone but was still an addict because both subox and methadone are opiods. I found an Institute there many across the country. They do what is called a rapid detox which was pretty pain free at the end of ur detox I got a vivitrol inplant. It's saved my marriage"

T-Lo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been an opiate user for 6 years. I would do 10-30mg over a few days and go back to subs. I was real close to losing my family so I thought the vivitrol shot was my best option. It was really hard staying clean and going through wd for the past week, but I got through it. Got shot yesterday and I'm not having any side effects. Tossing and turning and not getting a good night sleep will continue for a while. I think the shot is the best option if you are addicted and you really want to change your life. If I can do it anyone can!"

Buzz141 February 24, 2016

"So I started taking the pill naltrexone this morning. I was on day 9 of being off subutex and was taking the subutex for 5 yrs following a opioid addiction for several yrs prior. I had it very rough the first week of being clean then things started getting a little easier. Other than the occasional anxiety, insomnia and just plain no motivation to do anything. I first was prescribed clonedine to help w anxiety and really it's too lower heart rate. One min I wld feel okay the next very sluggish. Did 2 days of this then went to the naltroxone. I felt pretty good this morning before I took the pill and now it's like I'm back into withdrawals...anxiety, sweats, muscle aches..it just seems to b very discouraging. Should I continue the naltrexone?"

volcomjay February 10, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son is addicted to oxycontin. He went to rehab twice and to an extended living facility. He relapsed after both. He is in his second month of Vivatrol treatment and so far is doing very well. He is going to school and says he has no cravings. Still, he has sleep issues and difficulty concentrating. We are very hopeful that he will get his life back. He is seeing a private therapist (psychologist) once a week as well. He is very confident that this combination as well as lots of family support will give him what he needs to succeed in living a drug free life. Many people pray for him every day and we are all very hopeful. In seven weeks he gained ten pounds. That is a big improvement."

JMJ!! February 6, 2016

"I just received the Vivitrol shot yesterday. Ironically it was also my birthday and I found it to be a miracle I was finally brave enough to do it. My Dr. has literally had 9 shots already sent before I finally did it. Its been a long drawn out battle as most of us know."

tdefee12 January 30, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "The shot is a very good deterrent for me. I am being forced to undergo 6 months of injections against my will. My drug of choice is Oxymorphone (Opana), and Oxycodone 30mg . I've been using for about two years before I got locked up for 5 months. Got out, did okay for about a month then relapsed. Before I knew it I was doing pills everyday...again. Went to rehab about a month after my first relapse, did the 30 days there and probation forced me to make Vivitrol part of my recovery plan. First shot was horrible at first, I was clean for 27 days before I got it but once injected I started getting light headed. Then came vomiting, stomach cramps, and pretty bad migraines. I'm getting shot number two in about 5 days."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"Im 23yr old herion addict. I started on oxys, went to herion/crack, to methadone/suboxone for about 4-5 years. Even on methadone I was still using on top of it everyday, I would barely get a buzz but my cravings were that strong. Finally after overdose/suicide attempt I was referred to an amazing ADHD/addiction Dr who prescribed rivea (oral). I have almost 1 in half yr clean w/ only a 1day relapse. I'm from Canada & we don't have the shot. This was a GAME CHANGER. Zero cravings & there was no side affects for me. Downside is u have to have the willpower to take it everyday (upside for places that have the shot, very jealeous). Stops me from impulsive mistakes as it blocks for up to 72 hours. Blessed to have found this & grateful it worked for me"

Alikitty January 5, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "For almost four years my life was completely out of control, what had started out as playful became my worst nightmare. I spent several years homeless, and in and out of institutions. Eventually, I had hit my rock bottom and became desperate enough to fully surrender, that meant quitting alcohol, and putting down needle. Vivitrol helped me stay stopped. Before getting the shot I used to have cravings all day every day. Now I am to go about my day without worrying if today is the day that I relapse. Vivitrol gave me the extra push to stay clean and go about living a normal life. Cocaine/Mali etc users don't have anything to help them staying clean. So I am truly grateful for this drug! It helped me realize that life can be wonderful without drugs"

1empress (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2015

"I made the mistake taking one vicodin two days prior to starting naltrexone and had the worst withdrawals. Mental cravings stronger than ever."

intenselysick1 December 14, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I am a 28 y/o male, I used all drugs from about 12 but opiates and then IV heroin for about 10 years straight. I went through at least 7-8 rehabs and detoxes and endless county jails. In all those years I never had been able to stay clean more than a month on purpose. I've been clean now 1 year 8 months and a day. Vivitrol saved my life without a doubt. I was on it for 13 months with intensive out patient treatment and as many NA meeting as I could get to in a week. I had some issues sleeping with the first shot but after that the side effects were a headache here and there. Freedom from active addiction is worth any cost. Give it a try if I could do it I promise anyone can."

Jqnit33 November 13, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been a heavy opiate user for 15 years. I did have years staying "clean" using soboxone but once I got divorced I became depressed and relapsed. My addiction took off and I ended up using IV heroin and at that point trying to go back and use soboxone to stay clean was impossible. It took a overdose and 30 day treatment to make the decision to get the injection and it saved my life, best drug in the world. I know people have fears of breaking a bone or being in severe pain while being on a long lasting opiate blocker but as a paramedic there is 1 opiate narcotic that will not be blocked by vivitrol...I won't tell you which but all docs and paramedics know...so have no fear, DO IT! I have never been happier"

Paulie vivitrolie October 20, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Yea dude I used the night before my shot bout 5 min after the shot felt it kicking in within 15 I was in full blown withdrawal my mother had to carry me out of the car. Within another 20 min I was screaming in agony. I was told I was incoherent and hallucinating. I was spewing liquid from both ends involuntarily and I mean pouring out like a Fawcett. I've gone cold turkey off opiates before and even complained about what suboxin used to do. But even the precipitated withdrawal from subs is nothing compared to what vivitrol does. Its day 4 and im only starting to stablize"

cultOfPerSonalittyy October 1, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was clean a full 7 days before the injection as the protocol suggests. And of course the first thing I was going to do after the injection was use. So, I did 3 hours later. I could tell my receptors were blocked, but not all of them. So when I used, I flooded my still unoccupied receptors with opioids at the same time that the Vivitrol blockers were moving in and immediately began bumping the opioids off the receptors. Within 20 minutes after my use I was in a precipitated withdrawal. The vomiting and cramping, etc were so bad that it was a dangerous 24 hrs. Has anyone else experienced precipitated withdrawal from using opiates AFTER the injection?"

johnpandoljrgmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I got my first vivitrol shot 2 days ago. I was going through opiate withdrawals and alcohol was my daily coffee. I don't hurt or think about using. I actually drink coffee in the morning again. And my family is slowly coming back together. The only thing I have negative about the shot is I am only getting 3-4 hours of toss and turn sleep at night. I work in construction and I need my sleep. But what is weird with little sleep I still can perform my job just the same (commercial plumber/hvac)"

JJbegone (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I am on day 2 of the vivitrol shot. I was a oxi/alcohol user for 3 years and then switched to suboxone detoxed off the subs at 1/4 mg/2mg films . Withdrawals off 1/4 mg were pure hell even.got the vivitrol shot and now I haven't slept in 2 days only 3-4 hours a night. My alcohol cravings aren't as bad but still want a beer. My oxi cravings are gone. I don't hurt or feel restless from the sub withdrawals. I tried taking melatonin to sleep but it don't help. If this sleep pattern persists I am not getting the shot next month."

J.J. Dupree September 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "at this point 14 days of pure HELL !!! . Depression, paranoia, extreme fatigue, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, cycling thoughts. I am convinced this is permanent."

fuck naltrexone (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol does an excellent job at blocking your opiate receptors, preventing you from getting high. I've been a heavy heroin/oxycodone addict for the last 6 years. This was my first real attempt to quit and decided on Vivitrol because it's non habit forming. I've been on the shot for 5 months now. The reason I give it a so so rating is because it does nothing for your urges and cravings. That's a battle you still have to fight on your own. After my first injection I experienced "brain fog", rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure for the next 24 hours. I was 14 days clean prior to the injection. The next 4 injections went smooth. Vivitrol also seems to effect my sleep pattern, bowel movements, and sex drive for two after each of the injections"

Chain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015