User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol does an excellent job at blocking your opiate receptors, preventing you from getting high. I've been a heavy heroin/oxycodone addict for the last 6 years. This was my first real attempt to quit and decided on Vivitrol because it's non habit forming. I've been on the shot for 5 months now. The reason I give it a so so rating is because it does nothing for your urges and cravings. That's a battle you still have to fight on your own. After my first injection I experienced "brain fog", rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure for the next 24 hours. I was 14 days clean prior to the injection. The next 4 injections went smooth. Vivitrol also seems to effect my sleep pattern, bowel movements, and sex drive for two after each of the injections"

Chain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm an ex IV heroin user. Vivitrol is a great way to deal with cravings I've never been happier."

exuser May 21, 2015

"I was on Methadone for 4 years at 140mg and tried twice to taper down and get off. But the withdrawal symptoms going down each time caused stress, anxiety and I failed both times despite my true desire to have my have my life back. I went to the Colman Institute desperate for help to get off deathADONE! It ruined my life, I got fat, I was lazy, unmotivated and it ruined my T count also. I checked in on the 23rd having taken my last dose of Methadone on the 18th and used some H till 3:30 on the 22nd. In eight days I took urine of totally clean of all methadone and H. Then they made a small incision and put in a Naltrexone pellet. Today is May 9th and I'm doing great. All of the sudden my smells come back, my taste, all my senses!"

Deathadone May 8, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Hello my names Jacoby, I'm 21 I'm a heroin addict. I didn't have anything else work for me. When the suboxone was out of my system I'd relapse. Nothing ever worked for me. I had been putting off the shot as long as I could thinking "well what if I get hurt or break something and need pain killers" then I was fed up. I had lost everything and I was an inch away from losing the love of my life. I made the decision to get the shot I've had it a month now and was clean 2 weeks prior to getting it. Now I feel back to myself again. There's no feeling like it. I can wake up in the morning and roll outta bed to go to work when before I couldn't physically get outta bed without doing a half gram. I highly recommend to get this shot! You won't regret it!"

Jacobyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

"I just got my first shot yesterday after detoxing for 4 days I have had no reaction to the shot so far besides not being able to sleep as great as I would have liked to last night. I have been struggling with my addiction to pain pills for many years now tired suboxone and stayed some what clean using here and there when I felt like it I would sale my subs to get h. ive been to a detox center a few times even detoxed myself at home and this is comeing from a person that has bad withdraws like vomiting for 6 days straight but for some reason I would always go right back to it. so reading these comments makes me hopeful for my future and I will let ya know how things are after my second shot."

ash:) (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son decided to place himself in rehab for 30days for opiate dep. Had been on suboxone for 6mos. Addicts know how to manipulate medications. After 30days of being clean and intense inpatient rehab he went with the Vivitrol shot when exiting. It was great! No cravings, he felt great. Upon seeing his new psych in outpatient he warned my son about the dangers of Vivitrol to your liver and would only agree to give him one more shot maybe two after the initial shot. He had two shots total after rehab and is doing amazingly well. If you want to remain sober you have to have the mindset to stay sober. The least amount of time you are on this medication the better. Make sure you have liver function tests done. Vivtrol works"

MADDs March 22, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've been using opiates for 8 yrs now the past 3 I have been a heavy IV heroin user. I have been to at least 10 different programs relapsing every time so I'm considered to be a chronic relapser. This time I chose the vivitrol shot I just got this about 5 days ago on the day I was released from rehab and I can guarantee you if it wasn't for this I would be high. This is early in but I have no cravings my mind is clear Definitely going to get the whole year my insurance is goin to pay out.. As for side effects maybe small common ones that you can look up but nothing to complain about. This is the shit y'all, ain't not one bad thing....go get you some"

Chronicwitit March 18, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was so nervous to get the shot after reading all of the horror stories on the Internet. However, it was absolute rubbish. I went in to get my shot having not used for 11-12 days after cold turkey from a nasty prescription pill habit. Roughly 90-120mgs per day and using suboxone a few days a week when I couldn't afford the pills. The people who are feeding you these nightmare precipitated withdrawal stories are getting the shot with opiates still in their system. Obviously, the more and longer you use, the longer it may take for you to get completely opiate free. But 10-14 days is long enough for nearly anybody. Just have the Doctor give you the challenge with Naloxone before he gives you the vivitrol. If you have no reaction you'll be good"

Percolator March 4, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "First shot five days out of rehab, now on my fourth, longest clean time I've had in over five years, such an amazing non addictive non opiod replacement. Gives me the power back to say yes to the shot once every 28 days (I take oral naltrexone starting daily @ day 21) and I have a life again, I'm no longer just a junkie but a daughter, sister, fiance, friend, and have an amazing job. I am a RECOVERING addict. Amazing what rehab, meetings, IOP, and this wonderful tool can do for a herion/oxy/methadone/all opiates IV drug user like me, only needle in my body in 5 months lidocane followed by vivitrol, never thought it could happen as much as I wanted to be clean."

ryanchristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol is amazing. My daughter just received her 9th shot and my son his 3 shot. Before this shot my kids only worry was their next high. Today they are enjoying life as college students! We tried other options like Suboxone & Zubsolve as well as several rehabs. It always ended after 60 or 90 days with relapse. This shot has allowed my 2 youngest (19 & 21) a chance at a real life. They tell me they have no cravings & the best part is that its not a daily choice to take a medicine. They only have to make the decision 1x a month. Of course they are using the Vivitrol along with A LOT of counseling. The hardest part for the addict is to stay clean the 7 days prior."

happy mama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I had a reaction to cold medication so check with you doctor before you take anything. No real cravings, life is good."

crash719 December 21, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son has been on Vivitrol for 11 months for opiate dependence. It has allowed him to get his life back on track. I worry about how long he can continue to receive the shot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict."

Ex-Addict9999 June 17, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out."

JustonB84 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol saved my life and career. Use was 15 10/325 Norcos a day for one year. The hardest part is before you get the shot, being abstinent from opiates for 7 days but if you have an informed doctor they give you different medications to make your withdrawal more tolerable. It was do-able I was terrified but I promise it's possible. Once I had the shot I felt like myself again no cravings. Only side effect I had was a tiny little bit of soreness at injection site. Other than that I felt NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. Zero. That was my experience, my advise if you proceed with this is make sure you find a doctor who knows what they are doing, it makes a difference. Go to addiction specialist if possible."

Phnx59555 April 6, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have had the shot several times in the the past but that has been over three years ago and I did have some side effects. The worst was vomiting in the morning but it lasted about an hour after I woke up. It lasted for 2 weeks everytime I got the shot. It has been 3 years and I started the shot again. I got the shot 3 days ago and I have one swollen lymph node under my neck and my stomach is messed up with craps but it cramps I have never felt. They hurt but only in the morning and I don't get sick. They are not that bad. I know one thing that sucked is my anxiety has increased which is a problem for me and kind of scary. The shot is a good idea even with the side effects, its 1000 times better than being dope sick."

Chad Hardesty February 18, 2014

"Made me extremely sick. I have shortness of breath, my joints are all swollen and ache, major stomach pains. I ended up in the hospital where I was informed I had a severe reaction to it."

ramz (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2013

"I am now 20 years old and have struggled to kick my heroin addiction for the past 6 years. After four treatment centers and a ton of detox's my doctor finally told me about naltrexone. I found a doctor right away and started getting my injections! I am now almost 6 months sober and recently found out I was pregnant. So now I face the question of continue my injection or stop because of the complications it could have on my pregnancy. Although their is no studies or information about it hurting my baby they also don't have any idea."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2013

Revia (naltrexone): "This medication has helped me exponentially, I was addicted to opiates for the past 8 years. I was in and out of hospitals with no positive outcome in sight, this is the first time I have been able to maintain any kind of sobriety. Along with other support the cravings have never been so minimal. All I can say is that I'm truly happy that I was prescribed this medication."

Blueskydreary500 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 19, 2013

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I took my first Vivitrol shot 7/31/12. 3 hours later I was having the worst withdrawals one could ever imagine. The worst lasted about 2 days followed by 7 days of symptoms like constant anxiety, sleeplessness, muscle spasms, then 3 or 4 days of regular side effects. My Dr. told me that I may not have been completely detoxed when I took the shot and that might have been the cause of my extreme reaction. I'm going to get my 2nd shot on 8/31. I feel that without the shot the possibility of relapse will be greater, so the benefit outweighs the negative side-effects. I'll let you know how it turns out."

Roger D T (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I am a very young addict, and when I was in rehab I wasn't even aware of the shot. The shot is a wonderful thing. I have had no cravings whatsoever, and I am very hopeful for the future. The shot is not a make everything better thing however one must continue with meetings and work hard everyday at their recovery. Good Luck. Highly recommended."

tiffanybanks April 9, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine is a definite winner if you want to stay clean. I find its effects almost hypnotic, I rarely think of smack any more. But I've lost over a stone in weight since starting my script 5 months ago. I want to stay on it but am afraid I'll fade away."

Anonymous August 21, 2011

"I use naltrexone 50mg/ day for amphetamine dependence. I am 120 days abstinent of amphetamines after taking Naltrexone. I am noticeably less impulsive, and no longer feel dominated by an out of control libido. Naltrexone has offered me new breath and a chance to be and feel like myself as though I had never taken amphetamines. I have abused amphetamines for many years and I can confidently say that Naltrexone continues to show great promise."

Anonymous June 19, 2011

"I've been using daily Ultra low doses of naltrexone (15 MICROgrams not milligrams) for 3 weeks now in conjunction with exogenous opiates, and have found that my tolerance has been reduced by half within this period. I cannot attribute this to anything else especially not placebo as I have been highly sceptical about the whole thing. Scientists have suggested that naltrexone blocks the surplus opiate receptors which contribute towards tolerance. Furthermore it is also suggested that it blocks the release of endorphins which contribute towards tolerance. I have not encountered any side effects at all (the dose is almost homeopathic) and would recommend this for any user to reduce their tolerance leading to easier withdrawals."

starfarer March 28, 2010

"I've been an opiate lover, addict, train wreck for years. Naltrexone cuts my cravings to about 1/10 of what they normally would be - At thirty two days in recovery. AMAZING!"

YAT May 3, 2009