User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Review by Ex-Addict9999:

Vivitrol (naltrexone): I was a heroin addict for four years. I went through inpatient rehab twice and outpatient once. My family was at the end of their rope. In a final "Hail Mary," my parents decided to give Vivitrol a try (in conjunction with group and individual therapy sessions). I have been clean from all opiates for 18 months now. The turn around I've made in my life is remarkable. Medication used to treat addiction is tricky, because it will not work unless the patient truly wants to get clean. Nothing will stop an addict who wants to use from using. The only side effects I've experienced have been mild sleep disruption, but I am glad to be awake and sober rather than sound asleep and an addict.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by JustonB84 (taken for less than 1 month):

Vivitrol (naltrexone): Be 100% sure all opiates and methadone are completely out of your system, I had taken 60 mgs of methadone 6 days before I got my shot, I told my doctor up front, and I am not a chronic methadone user, maybe used it 4-5 times in the span of 2 months when hydrocodone wasn't available. It threw me into the worst withdrawals of my life. And I have had severe withdrawal in the past but this was so very intense unlike anything, for 2 days straight. The doc said it would be fine at 6 days but he was wrong, 15 min after injection I went into full fledge withdrawal, severe cramps, spasms, fever, vomiting, freezing yet burning up. Make sure it is out of your body completely before you start, if you test positive for methadone don't take the shot wait it out.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Phnx59555:

Vivitrol (naltrexone): Vivitrol saved my life and career. Use was 15 10/325 Norcos a day for one year. The hardest part is before you get the shot, being abstinent from opiates for 7 days but if you have an informed doctor they give you different medications to make your withdrawal more tolerable. It was do-able I was terrified but I promise it's possible. Once I had the shot I felt like myself again no cravings. Only side effect I had was a tiny little bit of soreness at injection site. Other than that I felt NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. Zero. That was my experience, my advise if you proceed with this is make sure you find a doctor who knows what they are doing, it makes a difference. Go to addiction specialist if possible.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 8:26 PM

Review by Chad Hardesty:

Vivitrol (naltrexone): I have had the shot several times in the the past but that has been over three years ago and I did have some side effects. The worst was vomiting in the morning but it lasted about an hour after I woke up. It lasted for 2 weeks everytime I got the shot. It has been 3 years and I started the shot again. I got the shot 3 days ago and I have one swollen lymph node under my neck and my stomach is messed up with craps but it cramps I have never felt. They hurt but only in the morning and I don't get sick. They are not that bad. I know one thing that sucked is my anxiety has increased which is a problem for me and kind of scary. The shot is a good idea even with the side effects, its 1000 times better than being dope sick.

February 18, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by ramz (taken for less than 1 month):

Made me extremely sick. I have shortness of breath, my joints are all swollen and ache, major stomach pains. I ended up in the hospital where I was informed I had a severe reaction to it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am now 20 years old and have struggled to kick my heroin addiction for the past 6 years. After four treatment centers and a ton of detox's my doctor finally told me about naltrexone. I found a doctor right away and started getting my injections! I am now almost 6 months sober and recently found out I was pregnant. So now I face the question of continue my injection or stop because of the complications it could have on my pregnancy. Although their is no studies or information about it hurting my baby they also don't have any idea.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2013 6:42 PM

Review by Blueskydreary500 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Revia (naltrexone): This medication has helped me exponentially, I was addicted to opiates for the past 8 years. I was in and out of hospitals with no positive outcome in sight, this is the first time I have been able to maintain any kind of sobriety. Along with other support the cravings have never been so minimal. All I can say is that I'm truly happy that I was prescribed this medication.

January 19, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by Roger D T (taken for less than 1 month):

Vivitrol (naltrexone): I took my first Vivitrol shot 7/31/12. 3 hours later I was having the worst withdrawals one could ever imagine. The worst lasted about 2 days followed by 7 days of symptoms like constant anxiety, sleeplessness, muscle spasms, then 3 or 4 days of regular side effects. My Dr. told me that I may not have been completely detoxed when I took the shot and that might have been the cause of my extreme reaction. I'm going to get my 2nd shot on 8/31. I feel that without the shot the possibility of relapse will be greater, so the benefit outweighs the negative side-effects. I'll let you know how it turns out.

August 24, 2012 8:04 PM

Review by tiffanybanks:

Vivitrol (naltrexone): I am a very young addict, and when I was in rehab I wasn't even aware of the shot. The shot is a wonderful thing. I have had no cravings whatsoever, and I am very hopeful for the future. The shot is not a make everything better thing however one must continue with meetings and work hard everyday at their recovery. Good Luck. Highly recommended.

April 9, 2012 1:20 AM

This medicine is a definite winner if you want to stay clean. I find its effects almost hypnotic, I rarely think of smack any more. But I've lost over a stone in weight since starting my script 5 months ago. I want to stay on it but am afraid I'll fade away.

August 21, 2011 5:40 PM

I use naltrexone 50mg/ day for amphetamine dependence. I am 120 days abstinent of amphetamines after taking Naltrexone. I am noticeably less impulsive, and no longer feel dominated by an out of control libido. Naltrexone has offered me new breath and a chance to be and feel like myself as though I had never taken amphetamines. I have abused amphetamines for many years and I can confidently say that Naltrexone continues to show great promise.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2011 2:51 AM

Review by starfarer:

I've been using daily Ultra low doses of naltrexone (15 MICROgrams not milligrams) for 3 weeks now in conjunction with exogenous opiates, and have found that my tolerance has been reduced by half within this period. I cannot attribute this to anything else especially not placebo as I have been highly sceptical about the whole thing. Scientists have suggested that naltrexone blocks the surplus opiate receptors which contribute towards tolerance. Furthermore it is also suggested that it blocks the release of endorphins which contribute towards tolerance. I have not encountered any side effects at all (the dose is almost homeopathic) and would recommend this for any user to reduce their tolerance leading to easier withdrawals.

March 28, 2010 1:33 PM

Review by YAT:

I've been an opiate lover, addict, train wreck for years. Naltrexone cuts my cravings to about 1/10 of what they normally would be - At thirty two days in recovery. AMAZING!

May 3, 2009 12:26 PM

Review by k-dog:

It seems to work really well.

February 3, 2009 10:10 PM

Vivitrol (naltrexone): As a chronic relapsing opiate addict, Vivitrol has been an excellent medication to aid my recovery. Have not noticed many side effects, if any. Basically eliminates my cravings for opiates and alcohol and provides good mental insurance knowing that if I do use opiates, I will get no effect from them.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2008 12:34 AM

Review by vancelisam:

Vivitrol (naltrexone): As a person that is both opiate and alcohol dependant, I have determined that it works really well against the opiates, but not against the alcohol.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2007 5:01 PM