User Reviews for Naltrexone

Also known as: Depade, Revia, Vivitrol

Learn more about Naltrexone.

Naltrexone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Naltrexone to treat Opiate Dependence

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son is addicted to oxycontin. He went to rehab twice and to an extended living facility. He relapsed after both. He is in his second month of Vivatrol treatment and so far is doing very well. He is going to school and says he has no cravings. Still, he has sleep issues and difficulty concentrating. We are very hopeful that he will get his life back. He is seeing a private therapist (psychologist) once a week as well. He is very confident that this combination as well as lots of family support will give him what he needs to succeed in living a drug free life. Many people pray for him every day and we are all very hopeful. In seven weeks he gained ten pounds. That is a big improvement."

JMJ!! February 6, 2016

"I just received the Vivitrol shot yesterday. Ironically it was also my birthday and I found it to be a miracle I was finally brave enough to do it. My Dr. has literally had 9 shots already sent before I finally did it. Its been a long drawn out battle as most of us know."

tdefee12 January 30, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "The shot is a very good deterrent for me. I am being forced to undergo 6 months of injections against my will. My drug of choice is Oxymorphone (Opana), and Oxycodone 30mg . I've been using for about two years before I got locked up for 5 months. Got out, did okay for about a month then relapsed. Before I knew it I was doing pills everyday...again. Went to rehab about a month after my first relapse, did the 30 days there and probation forced me to make Vivitrol part of my recovery plan. First shot was horrible at first, I was clean for 27 days before I got it but once injected I started getting light headed. Then came vomiting, stomach cramps, and pretty bad migraines. I'm getting shot number two in about 5 days."

Oxymoron1996 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"Im 23yr old herion addict. I started on oxys, went to herion/crack, to methadone/suboxone for about 4-5 years. Even on methadone I was still using on top of it everyday, I would barely get a buzz but my cravings were that strong. Finally after overdose/suicide attempt I was referred to an amazing ADHD/addiction Dr who prescribed rivea (oral). I have almost 1 in half yr clean w/ only a 1day relapse. I'm from Canada & we don't have the shot. This was a GAME CHANGER. Zero cravings & there was no side affects for me. Downside is u have to have the willpower to take it everyday (upside for places that have the shot, very jealeous). Stops me from impulsive mistakes as it blocks for up to 72 hours. Blessed to have found this & grateful it worked for me"

Alikitty January 5, 2016

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "For almost four years my life was completely out of control, what had started out as playful became my worst nightmare. I spent several years homeless, and in and out of institutions. Eventually, I had hit my rock bottom and became desperate enough to fully surrender, that meant quitting alcohol, and putting down needle. Vivitrol helped me stay stopped. Before getting the shot I used to have cravings all day every day. Now I am to go about my day without worrying if today is the day that I relapse. Vivitrol gave me the extra push to stay clean and go about living a normal life. Cocaine/Mali etc users don't have anything to help them staying clean. So I am truly grateful for this drug! It helped me realize that life can be wonderful without drugs"

1empress (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 18, 2015

"I made the mistake taking one vicodin two days prior to starting naltrexone and had the worst withdrawals. Mental cravings stronger than ever."

intenselysick1 December 14, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I am a 28 y/o male, I used all drugs from about 12 but opiates and then IV heroin for about 10 years straight. I went through at least 7-8 rehabs and detoxes and endless county jails. In all those years I never had been able to stay clean more than a month on purpose. I've been clean now 1 year 8 months and a day. Vivitrol saved my life without a doubt. I was on it for 13 months with intensive out patient treatment and as many NA meeting as I could get to in a week. I had some issues sleeping with the first shot but after that the side effects were a headache here and there. Freedom from active addiction is worth any cost. Give it a try if I could do it I promise anyone can."

Jqnit33 November 13, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I have been a heavy opiate user for 15 years. I did have years staying "clean" using soboxone but once I got divorced I became depressed and relapsed. My addiction took off and I ended up using IV heroin and at that point trying to go back and use soboxone to stay clean was impossible. It took a overdose and 30 day treatment to make the decision to get the injection and it saved my life, best drug in the world. I know people have fears of breaking a bone or being in severe pain while being on a long lasting opiate blocker but as a paramedic there is 1 opiate narcotic that will not be blocked by vivitrol...I won't tell you which but all docs and paramedics know...so have no fear, DO IT! I have never been happier"

Paulie vivitrolie October 20, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Yea dude I used the night before my shot bout 5 min after the shot felt it kicking in within 15 I was in full blown withdrawal my mother had to carry me out of the car. Within another 20 min I was screaming in agony. I was told I was incoherent and hallucinating. I was spewing liquid from both ends involuntarily and I mean pouring out like a Fawcett. I've gone cold turkey off opiates before and even complained about what suboxin used to do. But even the precipitated withdrawal from subs is nothing compared to what vivitrol does. Its day 4 and im only starting to stablize"

cultOfPerSonalittyy October 1, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was clean a full 7 days before the injection as the protocol suggests. And of course the first thing I was going to do after the injection was use. So, I did 3 hours later. I could tell my receptors were blocked, but not all of them. So when I used, I flooded my still unoccupied receptors with opioids at the same time that the Vivitrol blockers were moving in and immediately began bumping the opioids off the receptors. Within 20 minutes after my use I was in a precipitated withdrawal. The vomiting and cramping, etc were so bad that it was a dangerous 24 hrs. Has anyone else experienced precipitated withdrawal from using opiates AFTER the injection?"

johnpandoljrgmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I got my first vivitrol shot 2 days ago. I was going through opiate withdrawals and alcohol was my daily coffee. I don't hurt or think about using. I actually drink coffee in the morning again. And my family is slowly coming back together. The only thing I have negative about the shot is I am only getting 3-4 hours of toss and turn sleep at night. I work in construction and I need my sleep. But what is weird with little sleep I still can perform my job just the same (commercial plumber/hvac)"

JJbegone (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I am on day 2 of the vivitrol shot. I was a oxi/alcohol user for 3 years and then switched to suboxone detoxed off the subs at 1/4 mg/2mg films . Withdrawals off 1/4 mg were pure hell even.got the vivitrol shot and now I haven't slept in 2 days only 3-4 hours a night. My alcohol cravings aren't as bad but still want a beer. My oxi cravings are gone. I don't hurt or feel restless from the sub withdrawals. I tried taking melatonin to sleep but it don't help. If this sleep pattern persists I am not getting the shot next month."

J.J. Dupree September 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "at this point 14 days of pure HELL !!! . Depression, paranoia, extreme fatigue, confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, cycling thoughts. I am convinced this is permanent."

fuck naltrexone (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol does an excellent job at blocking your opiate receptors, preventing you from getting high. I've been a heavy heroin/oxycodone addict for the last 6 years. This was my first real attempt to quit and decided on Vivitrol because it's non habit forming. I've been on the shot for 5 months now. The reason I give it a so so rating is because it does nothing for your urges and cravings. That's a battle you still have to fight on your own. After my first injection I experienced "brain fog", rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure for the next 24 hours. I was 14 days clean prior to the injection. The next 4 injections went smooth. Vivitrol also seems to effect my sleep pattern, bowel movements, and sex drive for two after each of the injections"

Chain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I'm an ex IV heroin user. Vivitrol is a great way to deal with cravings I've never been happier."

exuser May 21, 2015

"I was on Methadone for 4 years at 140mg and tried twice to taper down and get off. But the withdrawal symptoms going down each time caused stress, anxiety and I failed both times despite my true desire to have my have my life back. I went to the Colman Institute desperate for help to get off deathADONE! It ruined my life, I got fat, I was lazy, unmotivated and it ruined my T count also. I checked in on the 23rd having taken my last dose of Methadone on the 18th and used some H till 3:30 on the 22nd. In eight days I took urine of totally clean of all methadone and H. Then they made a small incision and put in a Naltrexone pellet. Today is May 9th and I'm doing great. All of the sudden my smells come back, my taste, all my senses!"

Deathadone May 8, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Hello my names Jacoby, I'm 21 I'm a heroin addict. I didn't have anything else work for me. When the suboxone was out of my system I'd relapse. Nothing ever worked for me. I had been putting off the shot as long as I could thinking "well what if I get hurt or break something and need pain killers" then I was fed up. I had lost everything and I was an inch away from losing the love of my life. I made the decision to get the shot I've had it a month now and was clean 2 weeks prior to getting it. Now I feel back to myself again. There's no feeling like it. I can wake up in the morning and roll outta bed to go to work when before I couldn't physically get outta bed without doing a half gram. I highly recommend to get this shot! You won't regret it!"

Jacobyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just got my first shot yesterday after detoxing for 4 days I have had no reaction to the shot so far besides not being able to sleep as great as I would have liked to last night. I have been struggling with my addiction to pain pills for many years now tired suboxone and stayed some what clean using here and there when I felt like it I would sale my subs to get h. ive been to a detox center a few times even detoxed myself at home and this is comeing from a person that has bad withdraws like vomiting for 6 days straight but for some reason I would always go right back to it. so reading these comments makes me hopeful for my future and I will let ya know how things are after my second shot."

ash:) (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son decided to place himself in rehab for 30days for opiate dep. Had been on suboxone for 6mos. Addicts know how to manipulate medications. After 30days of being clean and intense inpatient rehab he went with the Vivitrol shot when exiting. It was great! No cravings, he felt great. Upon seeing his new psych in outpatient he warned my son about the dangers of Vivitrol to your liver and would only agree to give him one more shot maybe two after the initial shot. He had two shots total after rehab and is doing amazingly well. If you want to remain sober you have to have the mindset to stay sober. The least amount of time you are on this medication the better. Make sure you have liver function tests done. Vivtrol works"

MADDs March 22, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I've been using opiates for 8 yrs now the past 3 I have been a heavy IV heroin user. I have been to at least 10 different programs relapsing every time so I'm considered to be a chronic relapser. This time I chose the vivitrol shot I just got this about 5 days ago on the day I was released from rehab and I can guarantee you if it wasn't for this I would be high. This is early in but I have no cravings my mind is clear Definitely going to get the whole year my insurance is goin to pay out.. As for side effects maybe small common ones that you can look up but nothing to complain about. This is the shit y'all, ain't not one bad thing....go get you some"

Chronicwitit March 18, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I was so nervous to get the shot after reading all of the horror stories on the Internet. However, it was absolute rubbish. I went in to get my shot having not used for 11-12 days after cold turkey from a nasty prescription pill habit. Roughly 90-120mgs per day and using suboxone a few days a week when I couldn't afford the pills. The people who are feeding you these nightmare precipitated withdrawal stories are getting the shot with opiates still in their system. Obviously, the more and longer you use, the longer it may take for you to get completely opiate free. But 10-14 days is long enough for nearly anybody. Just have the Doctor give you the challenge with Naloxone before he gives you the vivitrol. If you have no reaction you'll be good"

Percolator March 4, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "First shot five days out of rehab, now on my fourth, longest clean time I've had in over five years, such an amazing non addictive non opiod replacement. Gives me the power back to say yes to the shot once every 28 days (I take oral naltrexone starting daily @ day 21) and I have a life again, I'm no longer just a junkie but a daughter, sister, fiance, friend, and have an amazing job. I am a RECOVERING addict. Amazing what rehab, meetings, IOP, and this wonderful tool can do for a herion/oxy/methadone/all opiates IV drug user like me, only needle in my body in 5 months lidocane followed by vivitrol, never thought it could happen as much as I wanted to be clean."

ryanchristina (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2015

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "Vivitrol is amazing. My daughter just received her 9th shot and my son his 3 shot. Before this shot my kids only worry was their next high. Today they are enjoying life as college students! We tried other options like Suboxone & Zubsolve as well as several rehabs. It always ended after 60 or 90 days with relapse. This shot has allowed my 2 youngest (19 & 21) a chance at a real life. They tell me they have no cravings & the best part is that its not a daily choice to take a medicine. They only have to make the decision 1x a month. Of course they are using the Vivitrol along with A LOT of counseling. The hardest part for the addict is to stay clean the 7 days prior."

happy mama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "I had a reaction to cold medication so check with you doctor before you take anything. No real cravings, life is good."

crash719 December 21, 2014

Vivitrol (naltrexone): "My son has been on Vivitrol for 11 months for opiate dependence. It has allowed him to get his life back on track. I worry about how long he can continue to receive the shot."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate