User Reviews for Toprol-XL

Learn more about Toprol-XL.

Reviews for Toprol-XL to treat Mitral Valve Prolapse

Just put 2 and 2 together after reading side effects and realize that the Toprol XL was causing my rapid weight gain and severely swollen ankles. It has worked great and keeps the Mitral Valve Prolapse symptoms under control but the weight and swelling issues have to be stopped. I guess I have to look for another medicine.

May 3, 2011 12:54 PM

Review by KelliJMcDonald:

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse syndrome my senior year in college, resulting in a medical discharge from the Army rather than commissioning as an officer. I was blacking out, fainting, and my activity tolerance dropped dramatically as the condition progressed. Metoprolol was prescribed for me to help regulate my heart rate - it worked great for that. I didn't feel the palpitations and heart racing with minimal activity. Downside was that my blood pressure was already low - so being on this medication made my blood pressure drop even lower. Doctors eventually put me on MIDODRINE which constricts my blood vessels causing an increase in blood pressure. The combination works great!

August 7, 2009 11:07 AM