User Reviews for Toprol-XL

Learn more about Toprol-XL.

Toprol-XL Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 254 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Toprol-XL to treat High Blood Pressure

"A health care professional and a person who takes this medication ."

Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

"Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again."

kaelem January 20, 2014

"I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild)."

JJ Seaton (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking TOPROL XL 100MG for at least 9 yrs, during that time I tried the METOPROLOL and it did not control my blood pressure, the Toprol XL has worked great without side effects, however I have reduced my salt intake even to the extent of using red pepper on my eggs in the morning. I took it on myself to reduce my dosage of TOPROL XL cutting it in half because my pressure was checking much lower and I did so for about two week prior to a Doctors appointment keeping a record of checks three to four times a day and gave it to my Dr. and he ran a EKG, then reduced my dosage in half and I'm checking out fine at around 120/70/67 so suggest check your salt intake."

rough & ready (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2012

"Heart was missing a beat while working out. Saw my Doc and after an EKG and a slightly elevated blood pressure was put on 25mg which went to 100mg over a period of 3 yrs. Kept BP at home and was fine. Every time at the Doctor's it was like 150/90 never understood this. Last time was placed on Lisinopril, this kicked my butt, dizziness, ear ringing, dry cough. Said heck with it and found a Cardiologist. He took me off the Ace Inhibitor and put me on Norvasc 10mg, will see how it works."

Anonymous March 24, 2012

"I started taking this medicine in 2006. It works to take the pressure off my heart but it has caused me arthritis in my knees, hands and feet. Now I am in pain most of the time. My hands have developed arthritis in both thumbs, my feet have it in my toes. I tried another Astra Zeneca product called Atacand and it works better but is so expensive I can't afford to buy it."

Anonymous October 23, 2011

"Before I started Toprol XL I had migraines everyday for a year I had no idea that I had high blood pressure and it wasn't really high it was borderline. Anyway I started taking the Toprol and my migraines decreased and the palpitations seemed to stop after about a month. I ended up only taking Toprol for 8 months and I had no more migraines or palpitations and of course my blood pressure was under control. It stayed that way for about a year and a half until I became pregnant and that seemed to trigger it all back. But I did the same thing and am fine now and I never experienced any side effects."

Anonymous January 13, 2011

"Took it 2 times and it gave me chest pain, nervousness and could not sleep. Stopped taking it."

Anonymous September 9, 2010

"Male, 55, been on Inderal for close to 30 years. Switched to Toprol. Had to return to Inderal because of increased arrhythmias."

gzlnq9 August 27, 2010

"I was prescribed 25mg a day about 2 1/12 years ago during a routine visit when I had a blood pressure of 150/90. Since that time my BP has stayed around 115-125/60 something/low 70s. My resting heart rate varies from high 40s to low 60s/min. I also started swimming laps which is off and on again. The medicine seems to work well for me without any noticeable side effects at all. Both my mom and dad had high blood pressure. I'm now in my mid fifties so I guess it's my turn now."

anonymous777 June 15, 2010

"I have not liked this medication at all. I was taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide, which worked great to reduce and maintain my blood pressure, but a side effect was frequent urination, and as a teacher, that was a slight nuisance. However, with generic Toprol, I have not gotten a decent night's sleep, and my blood pressure went higher (although I halved the 25 mg pill due to the side effects). I also feel anxious and unsettled. "

Anonymous January 2, 2010

"I have had many problems (one being that it took me a lot of time for my body to get used to it) with this product. The worst side effect has been the onset of diabetes which this product is responsible for. The question I had of my cardiologist is why in the world would he prescribe it to a high risk candidate like me -- I am Hispanic, in my 50s when it was prescribed. I informed my PA of this after my last crisis and she is looking into prescribing a different product (one given at the hospital) but this after a few years on Toprol. I figure that without the change from this medicine I don't stand a chance of reversing my diabetic condition."

Anonymous November 18, 2009

"I have been taking Metoprolol 25mg once a day for 13 days. It has lowered my heart rate by about 30 beats a minute but I am always tired, get chest pain, headache and numbness. Little to no benefit in lowering my blood pressure (140/95's)."

Rik T April 5, 2009

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is a real good medicine. It controls my blood pressure and I like the way it works."

honey.. February 2, 2009

"Toprol-XL eliminated peiords of rapid heartbeat that began mostly in the evening, at age 36. Also reduced blood pressure along with other medicines (with lotrel 10/40 in my case). I've had no noticeable side effects except for occasional sleeplessness / awaking anxious at night."

Anonymous October 27, 2008

"Slows heart rate-for the better."

Anonymous September 4, 2008

"Have been taking Toprol for about 7 years now, 50mg once a day. During a recent health fair at work, my blood pressure was really high. Made an appoinment with the Doctor that day to re-evaluate and was found to be running a little high, 145/94. Doctor added an additional 50mg a day. "

P.S. in T.O. July 4, 2008

"I have been taking Toprol XL for about 2 years. My doctor has now put me on 200mg twice a day, total 400mg a day, this had to be approve by my insurance company and it was. This is working for me, no side effects and my blood pressure is steady at 114/70."

Anonymous June 17, 2008

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Toprol XL for 10 years. I began with 50 mg per day, and am now at 200 mg per day. Unlike another report posted here, I am sleeping better while taking the medication. The only two side effects I've experienced are shakiness and nervousness when I miss a dose by even a few hours and vague aural hallucinations (hearing things) while on the verge of falling asleep. I've seen the hallucinations reported by other toprol users on other sites."

Anonymous March 27, 2008

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for several years and it works. All my follow up visits have been good with the cardiologist."

robgb29730 March 20, 2008

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Toprol XL 100mg one week ago. My Blood Pressure and pulse are much better. 125/75 and 75 pulse compared to 160/100 and 100 pulse. The only problem I am noticing is my sleep. I am not sleeping sound. I toss and turn all night. Something I guess I will get use to. Other than that it is keeping me calmer, my heart is not racing nor is my head pounding. I have had HBP for 12 years and tried many kinds of medications. I am hoping the new cardiologist is on the right track!"

Anonymous March 11, 2008

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was perscribed Toprol XL 25mg, 1x/day, as part of a long term treatment for elevated (but not high) blood pressure. I found a distinct and bothersome reduction in my energy levels and focus. I have been taking 25mg daily of DHEA and find that blood pressure levels and pulse rate levels remain lowered, but energy, focus and some vague emotional benefits are noticeable. "

bob in ny July 29, 2007

255 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Blood Pressure