User Reviews for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit

Learn more about Suprep Bowel Prep Kit.

Suprep Bowel Prep Kit Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 90 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit to treat Bowel Preparation

"A person should not have to do this 5 times in a lifetime. This prep is going well so far. I mixed the first bottle & water, both refrigerated. It doesn't taste good, but the gallon of golytely was 100 times worse. My second prep years ago had 2 - 2 oz bottles of awful, awful, awful tasting salty stuff. My suggestion is when you start drinking -- gulp it down quickly. I decided to take 2 days to prep by doing a liquid diet for two days. I think that has helped too. "

#5 colonoscopy July 28, 2015

"Totally not as bad as expected! I am 18 years old and had to prep for a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy. I took Suprep as the prep solution. The taste is not awesome, but if you add super cold water, use thick straws, and have fruit juice in between swallows, you'll do fine! I used the split dose - I took the first one at 6pm the night before my procedure (at 6:30am the next morning), and it took about 2 hours. The next dose (at 2:30am, way early!) took about an hour and a half. The anticipation was the worst part. DEFINITELY get Vaseline and baby wipes, these saved my life in those hours! All in all, there's no need to get worked up. No nausea, dizziness or headache. Pretty awesome!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"This is My first colonoscopy and I am a big baby when it comes to liquid medicine. I hate the taste of liquid meds. I won't buy a liquid med. I was scared I would not be able to tolerate it when I had to use it. Yes it taste salty and sweet at the same time. I just held my nose and drank with a straw. I had it down in abut 10 mins and 8 sips with some pep talk to myself. Put it in the fridge when you get it from the pharmacy. And mix with ice cold water. Suck on a lemon between sips. That was what saved me. It started to work about a half hour after my first sip. The worse part is you just go, not warning it just comes out fast. I've had no cramps or chills. Hopefully the second round is as easy."

Karleen77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

"I am 28 years old having my first colonoscopy. I had my gallbladder removed a year ago in the emergency room (gall stone lodged in bile duct and I had no idea I even had stones). Ever since then I've had problems with my stomach. I began the prep at 4pm on the dot. Mixed the 6oz with 10oz of low calorie gatorade for the first cup (make sure to not use red purple or orange). Then drank a 16.9oz water bottle. Started feeling nausea and got bloated. But I began the second water bottle and didn't finish it because by 5pm I was in the bathroom. So far my tips are to definitely have baby wipes in the bathroom. Keep close to the bathroom because it happens QUICK. And keep the suprep in the fridge. The cooler it is the easier you can get it down."

Lettythebelly July 26, 2015

"I don't understand all the horror stories about Suprep. I had no problem drinking it. It tastes like grape ice pops, but only sweeter..not at all disgusting like some make it to be and I have very picky taste buds. As as as doing its job, I drank the first bottle mixed with cold water at 8 pm followed by 2 additional 16 oz drinks of cold water within the hour. It started taking effect 2 hours later. I had several watery bowel movements till midnight. I then went to sleep and was awakened with another urge to go at 4 am. I then stayed awake and drank the 2nd part of the prep at 6:15 which really did the trick after several runs to the bathroom. This was my 4th colonoscopy and Suprep was by far the best and easiest prep for the procedure."

moviegal July 25, 2015

"Overall experience is ok. My mix: refrigerated suprep, slightly chilled water, ginger ale. Drink as fast as you can. After gulping down as much as you can simply suck on a lemon to get rid of the taste. Continue process and it'll be over quickly. The second bottle in the morning is tougher. Might be because your stomach is not expanded and chugging the solution plus two more 16oz bottles of water is really filling. It started working for me 20min after drinking. Be sure to get wet wipes. BTW there's no pain with the bathroom part of it, not like an upset stomach, it takes surprisingly little effort for the bowel movement. Good luck"

Anonymous July 23, 2015

"This was my first colonoscopy so I have no other prep to base it on but after reading several reviews and getting tips from my friends ..here is my report.My test was Tuesday am. I ate very lightly Sat and Sun,low fiber,easily digested foods. Monday, I drank gatorade and broth and ate jello. I started the prep at 6 pm (due to work) I put it in the fridge so it was very cold and also added very cold water as suggested. I used a straw to drink it. The taste is pretty bad but with the straw it went quickly.Within 30 minutes it started working. Around 915 pm it finally stopped. I used baby wipes and vaseline as suggested by another reviewer and it really helped. The am prep wasn't as bad- was only able to do 1/2. The test is a breeze.Good Luck"

samra1962 July 21, 2015

"My father was preparing to undergo a colonoscopy and had to take this stuff. He found the taste to be practically unbearable, and had slight cramping but nothing else. He had the urge to go to the bathroom probably after 2 hours of taking the first dose at 6 pm. A tip is use a straw to ingest it quickly and have a gatorade or another clear liquid fluid present to chase it down with. Also try brushing out your mouth afterwards. G"

luv4God (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"The prep did what it was supposed to do. Man up people. Added crystal light lemonade and sucked on a few lemon wedges between gulps. Tried the straw, made no difference. I did put the prep in fridge day before. It was fine. It doesn't taste delicious but stop being a bunch of babies and just gulp it down."

mrsmerde (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2015

"I am a 28 year old female and this is my first time using a prep. I suffer from constipation and I am used to taking laxatives at least once a week. Before the prep, I did not eat breakfast (as advised) which was very hard to do. The chicken broth sucked, so I mainly ate ice cubes and drank water. At 7 pm, I started the prep. After about an hour of drinking the required 32 oz, my tummy started to rumble. The taste is awful, but you can do it. I used the bathrooM until 12 am. I felt extremely exhausted and had a headache. It was also hard for me to fall asleep. I woke up at 8 (an hour later than I should have) and started the prep again. It was extremely hard for me to swallow. After braving up and drinking it as directed, I did feel nausea."

Shawnhayes July 16, 2015

"This was my 5th colonoscopy and first with Suprep. Never got as clean before as I did with this one. It took 5 hours to start working but once it started got clear very quickly. Licked Italian ice between gulps to help mask the taste. I did develop some nausea with both the first and second dose. Tried to walk around to get the Prep from my stomach into intestines where it works I was concerned about the hour drive to the surgical center, but did not need to stop. If you are doing the prep my advice is to try to relax, the prep will soon be over and the rest is easy!"

RATHER NOT June 30, 2015

"I was freaking out about how Suprep would taste. I have my procedure tomorrow, so I'm going to comment on here as time progresses. I put both bottles of Suprep mix in the fridge last night. Pharmacist suggested I mix it with ginger ale or 7 up. So I decided to mix it with 7 Up. Honestly, it was not that bad..Everyone makes it out to be the most vile thing they've tasted ever. Was it delicious? No,It was just really sweet, syrupy with a little bit of a bitter after taste.I chugged it. Couldn't do it with a straw, was taking too long. I drank one 16-oz water right after... Felt nauseous and full but not from the Suprep, but from the volume of liquid. So far so good... Will check back in a few hours..."

LeesaH724 June 30, 2015

"By far the best way to have a bowel preparation. Goodbye full gallon!!! Yeak! We've come a long way but the flavour is still difficult to swallow. It took me several hours. First bottle at 6pm, second at midnight. Almost done, almost clear. Hope to be sleeping pretty soon. The insurance didn't cover it but was worth the money."

Antillana (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2015

"Having used GoLYTELY as a single dose the last time I can tell you that Suprep in two doses is much easier and not as nasty. 1. Keep it cool or cold. 2. Use a big straw (I used new 3/8 " water line. It was the perfect size). This gets the liquid past most of your tongue and lessens the taste quite a bit. 3. Drink as much as you can in one go. You really don't want to sip this stuff. 4. Suck on a small fresh lemon wedge immediately after drinking. The lemon will taste surprisingly sweet, not sour at all. And it does an incredible job of wiping out the after taste. 5. Drink the first glass of water as soon as you think you can get any of it down. While it is adding more volume to your stomach it is also diluting the Suprep."

Strick (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

"This was my first time using suprep . My Dr. Ordered 2 kits to be used . One the day before , with a liquid diet , and one the day of the procedure . He also wrote Zofran ( for nausea) to be taken 30 minutes prior to each dose . That helps tremendously . A few tips I discovered to help get it down . 1) use a large straw with a bendable neck . You can get more volume down and move your nose away from the smell of the prep! 2) cut line wedges to suck immediately after swallowing prep. It cuts the bitter aftertaste . 3) I chased each gulp with lemonade. It seemed to help mask the taste of the prep. All 4 doses down and waiting for my procedure . YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!"

Mom Wilds June 26, 2015

"Just plain awful tasting, and after all the pain and suffering, it did not clean me out well enough and so the doctor said I have to have the colonoscopy redone in six months!"

Ecclesiastes June 25, 2015

"OK - disclaimer before I start: I have a fairly regular bowel and rarely experience any stomach discomfort!! I did a lot of reading on the Internet so I felt that I was quite prepared for this experience. I stopped eating solid foods 24 hours before the prep deadline and I only had soup on the morning of prep day. I put the bottles of the mix into the fridge so when the time came, they were nicely chilled. At 4pm the day before the procedure, I used cool water to prepare the first cup which I was able to drink (even though I dislike cherry flavor) quite easily. The "action" started within 45 minutes and I did not experience any pain or nausea or discomfort. I was "done" by 8pm. And it was the same the next morning."

RobJ June 23, 2015

"I took Suprep three years ago, and now again yesterday and today. On a positive note, it's good to be able to drink most of the liquid as plain water. It also worked without cramping. I want to thank the person on this site that suggested dividing the 16 oz. cup of Suprep and liquid into four portions. Even though I was drinking the same amount, it seemed easier tackling each smaller portion at a time. I kept hard mints handy to suck on between drinks and it helped. On the downside, I did experience some nausea for a few hours. Someday I hope to just be able to take a pill for the prep."

Retts June 16, 2015

"Took the first dose about 20 minutes ago and waiting! I was dreading drinking this prep but it really was not bad at all! I chilled the bottle first and then mixed it with cold drinking water and ginger ale to fill to the 16 oz line. I used two straws at once and sucked on half of a lemon in between the three gulps to get it down!! Let's hope the second dose goes down like this!!"

Pruchick June 4, 2015

"Was very nervous to take this prep. I ev e n cancelled my first appt. I took this prep at 6pm and it's 745 pm and I only had slight tummy rumbling and 4 watery movements. Worst part so far is drinking the prep and being hungry. So far not bad. I'm just hoping it stays that way but I still have the 2nd dose to take in morning."

Mamabutt June 1, 2015

"I am a critical care nurse for over 7 years. I have given prep to hundreds of patients over the years, this is my first self experience. At 28 years old, I have to have a colonoscopy and EGD for abdominal pain and bloody stools for over 3 weeks. I have a pretty diverse palate and eat some crazy things, but this: HORRIBLE! I choked down every swig. Smells half decent, tastes terrible. Called my doctor and there really isn't any other prep available. So, I did what I had to do. I will say, the effects weren't terrible. No cramping. No bloating. Only nausea was the gagging to get it down. A few watery stools. I understand it's most likely because of the electrolyte mix, but O. M. G! Something needs to be done about the taste! Indescribable!"

kmicurn (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2015

"Obviously no one takes this medicine willingly! That being said I refrigerated both 6oz bottles. I mixed them with cold water and added a packet of lemonade mix. The key to getting this down quickly and tastelessly was to use a very wide straw, not the regular ones. I was able to get each drink down in less than 10 seconds with very little taste. Trust me, get the widest straw you can find. It'll make this experience much more tolerable."

Stevie B May 17, 2015

"Seriously - as others have said, DO NOT WORRY about this exam. I get nauseated really easily and worried about the effect of this stuff. The worst part is the volume of fluid you have to drink and then psyching yourself up to doing it a second time. No pain, only some full feeling nausea for about 20 minutes after drinking but it passed quickly. Worked in about an hour and kept working for a few hours - stay on the toilet and minimize wiping. Use babywipes as much as you need. Rinse, repeat. The test is a joke, this is by far the worst part, and I've had indigestion that was far worse than this."

Vaslo (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

"I have had 9 colonoscopies over the last 15 years, and of all the preps I have used, I dislike this one the most. It is very effective at it's job, but it is also too effective, for I have had loose bowels and watery discharge for over a week. I will report this to my doctor, who I hope will advise his patients to use some other form of prep."

RalphB24 May 14, 2015

"The suprep drink was effective. So effective I was running to the bathroom every 5 minutes for over 4 hours. I'm 29 years old and had my first colonoscopy and endoscopy for abdominal pain. I was so nervous to have this procedure because I heard the prep was awful! After experiencing it firsthand, I have to agree - it was. The drink was terrible. I somehow managed to get the first one down, but when it came time to drink the second one the following morning I puked half of it up. Like someone below said - it was a cherry saltwater hell. I was laying on the floor in my bathroom with the chills. It was probably a combination of no food in my system and drinking the suprep. I hope I never have to drink this stuff again. Ever."

NoMoreColonoscopy May 7, 2015

Page 1 2 3 Next

Learn more about Bowel Preparation

More about Suprep Bowel Prep Kit (magnesium sulfate / potassium sulfate / sodium sulfate)

Professional resources