Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit

Learn more about Suprep Bowel Prep Kit.

Suprep Bowel Prep Kit review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 90 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Suprep Bowel Prep Kit to treat Bowel Preparation

Review by momprn:

I have had 3 other colonoscopy preps. This is by far the most expensive and worst tasting. I was barely able not to vomit. I had nausea and bloating for an hour and a half.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 5:10 PM

Review by Jim12345678:

The prep kit worked great and was very pleased with its effectiveness. My only complaint is that it tasted horrible! Bad enough to consider not using it next time. I'm writing this review to hope at some point the manufacturer will consider a better tasting alternative. Thanks!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2015 7:25 AM

Review by klp68:

This stuff wasn't too bad! I had a hard time with the first dose as I'm not used to very sugary drinks and such. Because of this, I did think it tasted quite gross. It had a strange grape salty flavor but it was only 16 oz, so it wasn't too bad to get down. I had absolutely no discomfort or nausea. It worked very fast and I was completely clean for the colonoscopy - this was my first colonoscopy and after having read the awful reviews of the gallon jug prep, I went for this stuff.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 12:03 AM

Review by msdk:

Refrigerate before use, used very good water to mix with medicine. Drink with straw to help with drinking the mixture. Put rootbeer flavored popsicle(small chunks) in each cheek while drinking solution to cover bad taste. Drink warm tea instead of 16 oz water after finishing prep solution for 2nd dose, it went down much easier than first dose when just water was used for mixing and the required 32oz of water.

December 29, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by woohoo (taken for less than 1 month):

Prep is not all that difficult although I am a little sore and did get chills for awhile. But come on! I drank the prep at noon and at 6 pm with a straw and had it down both times in two minutes. Do not sip it. Get it over with. It has done a good job with getting the job done.... much much better than the high volume of liquid I had to drink lasT time.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Billmit:

Really not a bad experience. The key I think is eating light for the two "low-fibre" days - I ate very little on day 2 - before embarking on day 3 liquid diet and bowel prep. The sour cherry-ish tates is unpleasant but chilled is perfectly drinkable. Effects were immediate and done within one hour - no nuasea or cramping.

December 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by BlessedOneToo123:

I am having my colonoscopy tomorrow. This will be my 3rd one and I can honestly say this prep was far more tolerant than the ones I've prepped with in the past! I'm GRATEFUL for the comments I was able to read because the lemons truly helped me. I drank the first 16 ounces in 15 minutes. It wasn't as bad as I was dreading. I used a straw and after each drink I sucked the juice out of the lemon. I drank about 21 ounces of water afterwards. The lemon took the taste away a great deal. I started going to the bathroom about an hour and a half later. I drank the second 16 ounces 4 hours later. My bowel started off green, now it's just clear. The taste was of grape salty sweet koolaid.

December 5, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by NinaFisher:

After reading all the comments on this site, I was quite anxious for a few days. Finally, I started with my prep today. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad at all! Ok, Suprep wouldn't be my drink of choice, but it is a medicine, and as such, not too bad. Yes, sweet, and salty, and smells like cough syrup, but really not that bad. I diluted it with water at room temperature, and just chugged it down with a straw. I find it easier to drink anything at room temperature. Took 16 oz of water right after, and another 16 oz 30 min later. The action started in about 45 minutes, and lasted for 3.5 hours, but nothing horrible. I just drank the second portion, and most of the water. Hope to be done by midnight and get some rest before the procedure.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Mountain Lisa:

My experience with Suprep was excellent! No kidding! I had a colonic (colon hydrotherapy) 24 hours before starting the Suprep, and I also started decreasing my food intake 48 hours before by keeping my meals light and avoiding snacks. After the first dose of Suprep, I didn't have any bowel movement at all. Things started moving about 45 minutes after the second dose and the process was finished within 30 minutes. My bottom was not sore at all because there was very little debris in there due to the colonic and limited food intake beforehand. Also, I didn't have any problem drinking the solution, the taste wasn't that bad.

November 24, 2014 2:42 AM

Review by 33 year old woman (taken for less than 1 month):

I was pretty freaked out from all the reviews but for me it wasn't awful. I eat healthy and am regular before this so I think that helped. The taste is not great but I swallowed the 16 oz in two large gulps. It slightly reminded me of cough syrup with a bad after taste but I did not vomit or have any issues. I drank the two glasses of water within a half an hour and it started to work in an hour. It wasn't explosive for me just like I had diarrhea so it was doing it's job. I obviously knew this so stayed home. I took it at 5 and was cleared out by 10 and went to bed with no issues. Got up and repeated and about to go for a colonoscopy. So to anyone who is taking it for me it wasn't bad so don't assume it will be awful.

November 10, 2014 11:25 AM

Review by viviskip (taken for less than 1 month):

I cannot chug-a-lug anything fast and have to depend on a straw. This was the easiest prep I have taken yet. Yes, it tastes pretty bad but I experimented and also used a lot of the comments already on this website. 1. Refrigerate as soon as you can. Told by the nurse that you DON'T have to take with water. I used strong sweet tea, added chipped ice. Drank as much at a time as I could, then had a cold banana ready and sucked it for a while. Then continued until finished. 2. For the 2 16oz used Ginger Ale for the first 16 oz then Diet Coke . All went well until after I finished the Coke and threw it up. Nurse said OK 3. When bowls started moving use baby wipe, had no rawness 4. Repeated 1st prep except 2 16oz just drank Ginger Ale

October 3, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by frid:

This was the 3rd bowel prep; first time with Sureprep. It was also my worst bowel prep experience. I wish I had thought to look up reviews before agreeing to use this prep. The taste was unbelievably awful. It was all I could do to get it down. The effects after the first bottle hit me like a ton of bricks about 30" after getting it down. Quite frankly , it was so intense I did not make it to the bathroom in time. Needless to say I camped out in there the rest of the night. The worst however was the terrible burning at the rectum from the liquid towards the end of this bad experience. The other preps I was prescribed in the past were also not pleasant but these side effects were the worst. Belching and some nausea were also issues.

September 26, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Why am I doing this (taken for less than 1 month):

I put both bottles in a ziplock bag filled with ice in my fridge 3 hours before my first dose (I think this helped a great deal to make it able to drink quickly). Started Suprep at 6 pm - drank 16 oz mixture in 20 minutes - started 1st 16 oz of water 5 minutes later then immediately started 2nd 16 oz of water. Was done with water by 7 pm. Had to go to bathroom for first time about 30 minutes after drinking Suprep - after about 20 minutes, I was able to take 2 Gas-x tablets as directed. Visited bathroom for the next hour on a regular basis. By 8.30 pm the rush to get to the bathroom was over. Hopefully the 6.45am prep will go as well.

September 2, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by NJG002498-00 (taken for less than 1 month):

This bowel prep was a disgusting experience and major failure. The problem is that it taste like a very strong cherry cough syrup. Diluting it with water didn't work for me. I got a few ounces down before my gag reflexes kicked in. Called the doctors office and the nurse told me to mix it with some juice. I mixed it with juice and lots of ice and drank as much as I could get down with a straw. After I got it down I had sips of ice tea, cola and a popsicle to try to get the taste out of my mouth so I could finish the rest of the dose. None of this worked. On my final attempt I vomited.

August 22, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Jessie's Mom (taken for less than 1 month):

Suprep was not as disgusting as some people said in their reviews. While not pleasant, it was tolerable. I mixed the medicine with Sprite and using a funnel, poured the container contents into an empty 16 oz. water bottle. I used a straw to drink the mixture. After taking each few big sips, I ate a big bite from a popsicle to erase the taste. I then waited 5 or 10 minutes and did the very same thing over and over until the bottle was empty. This took about 30 minutes. Then over the next 2 hours I drank 32 ozs. of various, good tasting liquids. Within an hour, my bowels started to move. The next morning, I repeated the above process. I did not vomit or have any side effects. Three hours before my procedure, I was expelling just water.

August 13, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by Grr:

Unbelievably disgusting. I am no stranger to various preps. In the recent past I have taken two 32oz bottles of nasty yoghurty stuff and horrible bottles of sludgy prune stuff. All disgusting. But this Suprep was unbelievably nasty. It took me an hour to get through each bottle. I had to sip it and drink water in between. Anything more and I couldn't keep it down. I puked up the last 10% from each bottle without a doubt. Believe me, I have tolerated some nasty stuff. But I could not believe this. I would rather be cut open (and I know what that feels like) than take this stuff again.

June 23, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by MvD:

EXPENSIVE! Taste is salty grape disgusting even mixed with gatorade. Sucked on ice cubes in between gulps & sips. Works well. Do liquids only for 2 days before & light food the 3rd day before. Cover your bum with petroleum jelly mixed with Vit A&D BEFORE the prep & reapply as needed/use tucks or baby wipes.

June 12, 2014 11:09 PM

Review by Izzler:

At first I was hesitate about taking from just the thought of having diarrhea. I manned up. The taste is like a chalky grape. It started about an hour after drinking the first bottle and the two 16oz of water. The only discomfort is I'm bloated and having small stomach cramps but nothing I can't handle.

June 12, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by Colon king (taken for less than 1 month):

Morning before eat two waffles organic with syrup and a coffee with 1/2 milk1/2 coffee Gatorade the rest of day frost cherry 6pm Tasted ok grape flavor mixed with water. Pooed in 15 minutes then every 15 minutes for four to 5 hours. Went to bed, morning prep 2nd bottle 4 am.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 3:40 AM

Review by Delue16:

I was SO scared of the bowel preparation. I gag when I have to gargle with salt water! So I gathered up my courage and took the first bottle of SUPREP. It smells like cherry cough syrup but believe me it doesn't even have a hint of fruit flavor. It tastes like clear salt water. BUT I was able to do it! I held my nose and drank as much as I could with each gulp. In between gulps I would eat a spoon of lemon Italian ice which cut the taste (highly recommend this). It took about 6 or 7 gulps to get it down and then it works pretty quickly. If I can do it, anyone can! I wasn't looking forward to the next dose but at least I knew I could do it. It's the best prep out there.

May 21, 2014 8:35 AM

Review by marleenvdh (taken for less than 1 month):

My first dose went down OK in spite of the repulsive flavor. I have done other bowel preps before. The bowel cleaned out quickly, starting in 15 min. The next morning's dose caused extreme and violent vomiting after taking half the dose. I waited one hour and tried finishing the 2nd dose. Again, extreme and violent vomiting. Prior to colonoscopy, extreme nausea, headache and faintness. After colonoscopy, extreme vomiting, dangerous low blood pressure in spite of having received 2 Zofran against nausea. Unable to eat until following day also weakness and headache. Weakness continued until following day. I am healthy, strong, 45 years old, a runner and lacto-ovo vegetarian. I was told to never use this prep again by GI doctor.

May 3, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by kgindavie:

I read all the previous reviews before doing the bowel prep and borrowed all the ideas I thought would work for me. Two days before my procedure I kept my diet pretty light with limited meat. The day before was all clear liquids, Gatorade, and coconut water. I was worried about nausea and vomiting so called my doctor who said I should take GasEx 30 minutes before starting the Suprep. I followed the directions on the box but cut some lemon wedges to suck on in between drinks of the liquid. I didn't think it was awful (not as bad as taking Nyquil). No nausea or cramping. It was pretty simple. Did not use GasEx for morning dose and had mild vomiting. Otherwise, much easier than anticipated.

April 11, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by SC Pooh:

This is the first time I've had to prep for a colonoscopy and I'm wishing I had checked tips and tricks from others before I started. The Suprep kit works well, but the taste is NOT good. My doctor said to mix the 6oz. bottle with apple juice to the 16oz. mark on the cup, but I didn't think that helped the taste. I could only do a few ounces at a time, wait a few minutes, then do a few more ounces. A STRAW definitely helped get the solution past my taste buds a bit. After finishing the entire first "dose", I found my chief complaint was belching. I was very glad that there was no cramping or abdominal discomfort at all. Definitely need diaper rash cream. Second dose is going in the freezer to get as cold as possible. Just don't stop!

January 30, 2014 9:11 PM

Review by Millie F. (taken for less than 1 month):

I used this product for the preparation of my colonoscopy and couldn't be more happy with it. It was easy to drink, I put a little of ginger ale and crystal light (flavor mango peach). I recommend this product.

November 17, 2013 2:28 PM

Review by Hlj1978:

Taste was terrible. It took 45 mins to get down the first 16 oz dose (6 oz mixed with 10 oz water). About 5 mins after finishing, I began vomiting violently and ended up losing all the prep. Had to go out and get magnesium citrate which was also bad in taste but stayed down.

November 14, 2013 4:42 AM

Learn more about Bowel Preparation

More about Suprep Bowel Prep Kit (magnesium sulfate / potassium sulfate / sodium sulfate)

Professional resources