User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

"I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia along with all the other issues that come with it. Anxiety & stress easily are two of the things. Ativan over Xanax for me big time for some reason Xanax would make my ankles swell? Then I tried Ativan and it worked great I put under my tongue and it melts under there and helps me within 15 minutes. I can go some weeks/months without ever taking it and then If I have a bad issue with the family or a panic attack from a flare it works fabulous. The most I've had to take it was 10 days in a row. I've had a prescription since 2004 and it's 2016 I get 30 1.mg a month. I don't use them all but I do get a refill every couple months just to have some on hand."

Winding down February 6, 2016

"I have PTSD with panic attacks. When these come on it's terrifying to say the least! I take half a tablet and about 30 mins later I am calm. It has truly been a life saver for me. Like a lot of people here I went to the ER 3 times thinking I was dying all tests revealed nothing wrong with me."

Markscura (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 22, 2016

"I have been on this as needed for the last 4 years. I started at 0.5mg and am currently at 1mg. I only take when needed and have not had any negative side affects. I only wish it actually lasted longer. Roughly last for 30 to 40 min. I have taken to help sleep, I am a war vet and it helps to calm down the hyper vigilance. I have seen people struggle coming off of this, but they "usually" are the ones abusing it. It is not an everyday med."

Taango January 17, 2016

"I had a stroke and so I had to have an MRI. This is something I had feared my whole adult life (because of claustrophobia) and wondered if I would even consent to it. They gave me an ativan and the whole experience was easy and uneventful. It was not prescribed long term, just for that single event. Under those circumstances I would rate it a 10."

Wendy murf January 14, 2016

"I've been taking low dose Ativan for years. It worked well for my anxiety. Although it seems to wear off extremely fast. I actually split the pill in two, take a half before bed, and take the other half when I wake up at night. The only problem is after my old doctor retired, I found nobody would prescribe it. All the newer doctors would rather give out anti-depressant. I had to quit taking it cold turkey last month. Now I'm on an anti-depressant and some strong sleeping pills in order to get enough sleep. The results are inconsistent. Some nights I get only 3 or 4 hours, some nights I sleep 10 hours and still feel tired. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Ativan was so cheap that it didn't matter I don't have insurance."

y-thingy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

"I was prescribed Ativan .5 mg and ended up having a horrible adverse reaction that landed me in the ER. I experienced 20 side effects from this medication."

No bueno (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

"I took lorazepam for 19 days at .5mg 1 as need I was taking them in the afternoon around 4:30. The doctor only gave me 20 pills for anxiety and sent me home. While taking them I was feeling even worse I couldn't sleep, I would wake up shaking and scared couldn't eat until I took the pill. I decided to stop taking them because I was getting more anxiety and wired thoughts, and was shaking all day. So I quit cold turkey - I didn't know I was to taper off . On the second day of not taking it and I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat walking around feeling like I m going crazy a lot of anxiety attack and panic attacks. I don't feel joy or happiness. The only thing I could think of is I'm having withdrawals. I stop taking it on December 9, 2015 it is now December 29, 2015"

Molly76 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

"I have been on ativan for 15 years%u2026 started at 1mg and was gradually increased to 4mg. The medication only numbs things the anxiety never went away, and after I started taking I started getting other symptoms like OCD, social anxiety, depression and others I should never have trusted the Dr and should have researched the drug before taking. I will never again just take anything without researching it. I am slowly tapering it off, the withdrawals are a nightmare but staying on this medication which should be banned is not an option. This medication was never intended to be prescribed longer then a few weeks. Drs and drugstores are completely to blame right beside the drug companies. They all know it%u2019s poison."

Janehello December 29, 2015

"Calmed me down enough to talk to the Psychiatrist and Social Worker when I had been detained under section 136 but didn't feel it very much and wore off quite quickly. Not as good as Diazepam"

coxysmelons December 19, 2015

"This drug is highly addictive and due to it being short-acting, it is nearly impossible to wean off of this drug in a conventional manner. It is very effective in relieving anxiety, but should not be taken for any extended period of time or you will be hooked into an agonizing withdrawal. To get off of this short-acting drug without the painful withdrawal, switch to a long acting benzo like diazepam that is available in multiple and larger doses and can be cut into smaller amounts to wean off gradually."

brainiac1900 December 18, 2015

"My husband was hospitalized for 10 weeks before passing away. I could not sleep - my thoughts were spiraling and racing. I had an anxiety attack in the intensive care unit and thought I was having a heart attack. I hadn't slept in 5 days. My doctor prescribed 1 mg Ativan taken 30 mins before bedtime. What a godsend. I sleep straight for 6 hours every night. I've tried sleeping without it and I'm awake all night. I worry about tolerance. So I go without it on weekends and lay awake for two nights. I can't wait til Sunday night so I can take the Ativan and get some sleep. I've been on it for 6 months now."

Donnazaa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

"Highly addictive medicine. Very angry I was put on this. I have worse anxiety and hand, feet, and head tremors. Docs give out benzos too easily. Then they do not want to help you get off them. It is awful. They treat you like a pill seeker instead of slowly weaning you off. More doctors need to use the Ashton Method of withdrawal. Taking someone off benzos too quickly can induce anger, crying spells, depression, and even seizures. Too many doctors do not want to help patients get off these pills and it is wrong."

Tilcat December 5, 2015

"This stuff is amazing and has been a godsend for my anxiety and panic. Don't pass this one and give it try it's great."

SteveD NJ November 30, 2015

"I had a positive experience , was effective"

Dan cfh 197 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2015

"Highly addictive, caused Severe panic attacks, when tried to go off. Got this reaction after only 2 days, of 1-2, for sleep. Very dangerous drug. Helps you sleep, but nearly impossible to stop! Most need rehab., was one of the meds., Heath Ledger had, in his system. Tammy Faye took up to 25-30 a day! Stay away from this drug!!?"

R. C. November 6, 2015

"I took .5mg ativan 2 times a day for 14 days. I noticed I wasn't getting the same anti anxiety effect so I decided to stop taking it. I figured it had only been 2 weeks so stopping should not have been a problem. I then proceeded into 11 days of HELL. The first 2 days were not to bad but every day progressively got worse. The Insomnia was the worst. I got to the point where I would dread the night. And then the night mares started. They were horribly dark. I thought I was going to die. I finally would take .5mg every other or every third night just to get some sleep. It took me months to find a doctor who understood how to get off the Ativan. I'm now on a 2 1/2% taper (40 weeks) I'm on week 9, Not fun. DO NOT TAKE IT"

Hateit (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2015

"I love them. .5 mg when I'm shaking (getting over a fear of heights) that I got due to a sickness. Tried all others none worked & they had bad side affects. Take it at work and drive fine, work fine. Makes me not care about heights, bills, stresses in life, just a very good pill. Just watch out have been caught twice looking at a wall for hours smiling not knowing it was that long just content and happy..."

Johnboy2014 October 9, 2015

"I had a scary adverse reaction with Ativan. I was given 1 mg in the hospital orally for the very bad anxiety I was having. About an hour and a half later I began getting the most strangest, scariest hallucinations. Both visual and sensory. I don't know if this was an allergic reaction but I never had this problem with any other benzodiazepine. Please be cautious with Ativan in particular, because it altered the functioning of my brain (it wore off the next day)."

Jonathan1109 (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2015

"I have been taking Ativan for 20 years. It was prescribed for me when my husband was in hospice care and I was struggling to care for him and our young daughters. I have GAD and it is the only thing that calms my mind and makes me feel normal if I am in high anxiety mode. I have reduced my amount needed to one half of the .5 pill to help sleep and the other half if I wake up too early and cannot get back to sleep. I also use it to fly. I have no hangovers and never feel fuzzy. It is a miracle drug for me."

Want to be calm September 16, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine has saved my life on several occasions. I developed physical anxiety issues (severe tingling, losing balance, trouble driving, insomnia, etc) a year after my 3rd child was born. My physician tried several SSRI and tricyclic antidepressants. They all made my symptoms worse. Ativan/Lorazepam helped immediately for all symptoms. In my opinion it is a miracle and I hate how it is demonized in the media and medical community. When you suffer a month without sleeping hardly at all and can barely function in a normal setting due to crippling physical anxiety symptoms, and something provides relief, you take it. Yes, when you are ready to stop the medicine you have to reduce very slowly over a long period of time. Godsend!"

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This helped me so much. I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest!!!!!!!! I went to hospital they gave it to me and it went away. OMG thank you ativan!"

smussaw September 7, 2015

"Doesn't work for me. Been taking it for 6 months, 1 mg 2x a day. It makes my head really fuzzy."

kat76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

"Wonderful takes stress away"

Jjkm August 28, 2015

"I'm 19 and this anxiety and OCD had been poured on me out of no where. It scared me so bad I felt like I couldn't live my life. I went to the ER and they prescribed me Ativan 1 mg 3 times a day. It was extremely effective. The first week I was only taking half or sometimes 2. I've been on it for 3 weeks and am waiting to get on a SSRIs for more long term. Ativan is helping me through my days. I am just nervous about withdrawals because I don't take them as prescribed only as needed."

Laurenthorne August 20, 2015

"Ativan is a miracle drug. Whoever invented it should have received the Nobel Prize. Zero adverse effetcs, completely safe. I am going through chemo and my beloved old companion cat which I had for over 14 years died after many months of poor health. I felt gripping anxiety for weeks, it felt like my chest was going to explode. I was faced with vet bills and wasn't working. Ativan worked in less than an hour, I felt such relief, and only after 1mg. I take it once, sometimes twice, a day and my life is bearable. Please don't suffer. If you experience anxiety ask you Dr for Ativan, even 0.5 mg may work."

RollaB August 16, 2015