User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

Review by ANNMARIE F.: User Rating:

I am claustrophobic and required an MRI. The one tablet I took prescribed by my dr. Helped me get through this 1 hr 45 min process. I am grateful.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 11, 2014 1:02 PM
Review by Flykate1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and take this nightly to sleep. This medication works wonderfully for relieving the physical symptoms of GAD which is what it was intended for. Yes this is addictive and has side effects that can affect memory however I don't think I could live without this medication. Anti-Depressants don't touch my anxiety where as this does.

February 25, 2014 8:37 AM
Review by 1975LRT: User Rating:

Ativan has made a tremendous difference in my life as my anxiety was out of control and panic attacks were frequent. I don't find that it makes me tired and I like how the effects are quickly felt. I used to take 1 mg but now only take 0.5mg once a day; twice if I need it. I can skip days the odd time if I am at home and things are peaceful. I was put on Valium and couldn't handle that at all - Ativan was a lifesaver for me!

February 21, 2014 7:55 PM
Review by vr77 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I took it today after suffering with severe anxiety and it worked quickly on me. My mind relaxed and I wanted to go out with kids.

February 1, 2014 6:00 PM
Review by Hsd: User Rating:

It works sometimes while other times it makes me more depressed

January 10, 2014 8:34 PM
Review by DFnB: User Rating:

Klonopin made me irritable & short with people especially as they began wearing off. Xanax are ok but made my food taste better so I gained some. So Ativan several days now and its just perfect. Little sleepy but I'll work through that.

December 6, 2013 1:05 AM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Most subtle of the benzos i have tried. Made me sleepy the first hour or two, but then stabilized anxiety and mood for about 6 hours. Much longer lasting than it is given credit for. Good PRN medication. Other benzos cause some moodiness or depression even. Although I think Lorazepam can, it is much smoother than others. It again is too sedating for many people though. I liked it about as good as Clonazepam, it is better than Valium IMO.

October 28, 2013 12:49 PM
Review by final666 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

This is the one thing I can always count on to help me when I am in need . I have dealing with anxiety and depression my whole life I am 23 . It is great for calming you down I don't know what I would do without it

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 10, 2013 7:52 PM
Review by zigzag333 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I had a SEVERE panic/depression episode and was contemplating suicide (didn't tell Dr. about that part though) with uncontrollable crying "spells" and was prescribed 2mg Ativan and it was effective within just a few minutes. I calmed down and the racing thoughts, thoughts of suicide, and other feelings went on hold long enough to compose myself. I was on these for a few weeks and it saved my life. I was already on 2mg Xanax ER at the time but it didn't touch the episode I was having at the current time. However, the Xanax ER was very effective for what it was for, I just had an episode triggered by a bad event that override the power of the Xanax at the time.

September 7, 2013 1:22 AM
Review by eddiekilby (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was in the E.R. for my usual anxiety waiting to be sent to a Mental health treatment facility. I lay there for seven hours. I tired but I could not sleep. It's like the voices around me were getting louder and louder. I eventually exploded. It took three security people and nurse stuck me in my thigh from a distance with Ativan, it was great. The Anxiety demons went away and I felt normal. I was later prescribed Ativan. I've tried many medicines in my twenty seven year battle with Depression and Social anxiety and anxiety and O.C.D. and P.D.S.D. Nothing works like Ativan.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 29, 2013 12:36 PM
Review by Lisbeth Tree: User Rating:

One of the first medications given to me to help with my social anxiety and panic attacks. Never failed me, and actually help me get past my anxiety during job interviews and applications, which normally had me throwing up and shaking before hand. I never took it often enough to get much tolerance, although with in a year, I admit, about 2 times when i had extra I took it recreationally.

June 5, 2013 6:59 AM
Review by BWilmarth: User Rating:

Though I've rated this medication an 8 (when I first started taking it I would have rated it at 12!). I must caution ANY who use it to use it STRICTLY as directed by your (presumably responsible/knowledgeable psych/med doc).

May 30, 2013 6:39 PM
Review by Deb S. (taken for less than 1 month):

While taking Ativan my memory was affected. I noticed that my short term memory was not good. I think I should be on this short term only.

May 25, 2013 8:17 PM
Review by missnscott1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Great experience. Totally cured my anxiety but habit forming. Works wonders.

May 14, 2013 10:09 PM
Review by useless nick (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been taking Ativan for the past 28 years! Initially it was 0.5mg 2/3 times a day for a few months. Later 0.5mg twice a day for about 2/3 years. Then once a day for 5/6 years. Since then I regularly take 0.75mg once a day in the morning during all these years. I have never exceeded the dosage and I am able to skip the tablet on many Sundays when I don't need to go out or do stressful things. I am sure I will be able to stop taking the medicine when I want but as the dosage is small I have made it a habit to pop 3/4th of 1mg pill daily before I start to office. Side effects - I am unable to distinguish as I am 61 yrs now and have formed some forgetfulness and some usual age related minor personal problems. Ativan is a great medicine!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 10, 2013 8:19 AM
Review by Jasejordan: User Rating:

Ativan will definitely help calm you down, but stick to the script! If you quit cold turkey you will have withdrawals for a week. You build a slight tolerance for it and want more. If you give in and take more you will run out before refill time and then come the withdrawals! But it does do its job on anxiety!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 25, 2013 2:52 PM
Review by trishlm (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I took this with Paxil. The combination made me feel normal and I was able to control my anger and it helped tremendously with severe night time anxiety.

March 22, 2013 1:50 AM
Review by Kandigurl (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been in the hospital for 5 days now and today I just received some bad news about my health. I started freaking out and had a panic attack with a lot of anxiety. They decided to give me Ativan through my I.V. It completely calmed me down and helped me. Thank Goodness it did!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 22, 2013 4:49 PM
Review by bestdrug:

I've been taking Ativan for two years now for my OCD and anxiety attacks. I can now sleep and function in my day to day activities.

February 20, 2013 8:39 PM
Review by Johnny Jo (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

After recovery from prostate cancer 8 mos. ago, I began experiencing panic attacks & General Anxiety Disorder. I have tried 3 different therapists (psychobabblers), and 4 diff SSRI's, all to no avail. The only effective treatment that resolved my difficulties was Ativan. My prescription is 1 mg up to 3 times a day as needed. 1 mg per day works 90% of time. It's rare that I need 2, and never 3. Without it I'd be looking for the highest bridge.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2013 7:31 PM
Review by aj133: User Rating:

Had a horrible panic attack, never had one before & the doctor explained what was going on & gave me Ativan. Works amazing for me.

January 20, 2013 2:51 AM
Review by MM in CA (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I used this medication thirty years ago for anxiety, and recently, I had to get another prescription for it. I have always felt near-immediate relief when taking it. I weigh over 200 pounds, and the 1mg taken as needed gives me relief from an occasional anxious or panicky feelings. I've had no other side-effects, such as drowsiness, etc., even when taken in the daytime.

January 16, 2013 9:57 PM
Review by Laney079:

Works great helps while waiting for other antidepressants to kick in and take full effect

January 16, 2013 5:55 AM
Review by Medical Tech (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I had a great experience with Ativan. It does a great job of heading off a panic attack when you feel one coming on. It works very quickly (5 minutes or less). It doesn't make you feel drunk or high, but more just kind of relaxed and mellow (a bit sleepy). I took a very low dose, as needed, and it's just nice to have something in case I need it, that wasn't real addictive or habit forming. Like having a spare tire. You don't have to use it very often, but it's comforting knowing you have one, and it will get you through. I didn't notice any side effects at all to be honest, except for feeling sleepy when I took it sometimes, but that's not always a bad thing.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 27, 2012 2:22 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ativan has changed my life for the better. I can do things now that I used to have to avoid because of my anxiety, such as public speaking and being in high places. I even went on a roller coaster last month for the first time in 20 years. I have extreme hypertension (taking Lisinopril for that), and sometimes blood pressure spikes will trigger an anxiety attack. I take a 0.5 Ativan when that happens, and in about 20 minutes I'm fine. I'm so grateful to now have this medicine.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 26, 2012 3:52 PM