User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

Review by lenalena (taken for less than 1 month):

Long story short, I am terrified of medication , the first time I took Ativan I had already got myself all worked up about having to take it that when I did I went into full blown panic attack. It was not because of this med , it was my own doing. The second and third time I took it, it worked well . Allowed me to get through the entire day like myself again. Even took the depression away that I have caused from anxiety . I have only taken it 3 times in the last month since was prescribed it . Since I've read how addicting this can be I have been very careful about taking it only when I really need it.

November 7, 2014 10:54 AM

Review by lena1990 (taken for less than 1 month):

I Have only taken my Ativan 3 times in the past month that I have had it. I really try to take it only on the times I can't control my anxiety and can not work because of it. I am so against taking medication including this one but the second and third time I took it I was happy I did. It allows me to function and get through the day feeling good. It really does take the edge off and also calms my heart rate, As it usually is always beating faster throughout the day just from being anxious. Even though I still get paranoid about having to Take this medication when I really need it , I end up being glad I did. It works! I personally have no side effects either from this med.

November 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by 23, Male (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking Ativan for a few days while I wait for Lexapro to kick in. It has been a life saver. It has allowed me to eat and sleep, which has been huge in this fight against anxiety. It really helps mellow me out and take the edge off.

October 25, 2014 7:41 PM

Review by Skeeter1969:

I was given a prescription for this 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. It is the one thing I can count on to help slow spiraling thinking. I have never taken it regularly until recently because of some major life stressors. I would normally take 0.5 mg in the morning once in awhile, but now I have been advised by my Dr. To take up to 0.5 mg three times a day as needed while I adjust to Zoloft. I have not needed it more than twice in a day. It sure helps, and so far I have never had any problems stopping taking it.

October 19, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Kimberly Anne Miller:

I have a severe Anxiety. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can control or sometimes I can't. Up to now it has been really bad. So my doctor perscribed me Ativan. Just took it this morning. So far It's helping but sometime if my Anxiety gets far to worse and I take the Ativan sometimes it takes a while for it to calm or slows down.

September 12, 2014 4:53 PM

Review by tiredofanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Took it for 3 months 2.5 mg and did not help the anxiety, it made it worse. I am tapering down.

August 11, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by Magy99:

I was diagnosed with Graves/Hyperthyroidism in Feb 2014, I was given 1 mg of Lorazepam on one of my trips to the ER because of my Hyperthyroidism. This medication is the best in it's class, I also occasionally take propranolol 10mg for heart palpitations, they both work perfect together. Already had RAI 4 weeks ago but am having bouts of hyper till thyroid is completely off. The 0.5 mg doesn't do much but the 1 mg is Excellent.

July 2, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by Slimmmz:

Amazing it works so well.

June 11, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks that happen unexpectedly. I am also taking an SSRI with the Ativan but the Ativan is on an as needed basis and has helped tremendously the tightness in my chest is relieved and the irregular heartbeat slows down, anxiety and panic is a very scary thing to experience and Ativan has helped me get through those tough times, would absolutely recommend it.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Loved it, love it still but no longer allowed prescriptions due to strength & dependency issues. Was taken as needed to treat anxiety and worked relatively quickly, generally would feel better within ten minutes. Took one almost everyday for 8 wks before going on antidepressants and then had to taper off them. Have kept a small amount on me for extremely bad days though.

May 17, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Sill (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Best anti-anxiety medicine.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Phone cord:

Ended years of misery, acid reflux, etc.

April 19, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by ANNMARIE F.:

I am claustrophobic and required an MRI. The one tablet I took prescribed by my dr. Helped me get through this 1 hr 45 min process. I am grateful.

March 11, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Flykate1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and take this nightly to sleep. This medication works wonderfully for relieving the physical symptoms of GAD which is what it was intended for. Yes this is addictive and has side effects that can affect memory however I don't think I could live without this medication. Anti-Depressants don't touch my anxiety where as this does.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 8:37 AM

Review by 1975LRT:

Ativan has made a tremendous difference in my life as my anxiety was out of control and panic attacks were frequent. I don't find that it makes me tired and I like how the effects are quickly felt. I used to take 1 mg but now only take 0.5mg once a day; twice if I need it. I can skip days the odd time if I am at home and things are peaceful. I was put on Valium and couldn't handle that at all - Ativan was a lifesaver for me!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2014 7:55 PM

Review by vr77 (taken for less than 1 month):

I took it today after suffering with severe anxiety and it worked quickly on me. My mind relaxed and I wanted to go out with kids.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Hsd:

It works sometimes while other times it makes me more depressed

January 10, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by DFnB:

Klonopin made me irritable & short with people especially as they began wearing off. Xanax are ok but made my food taste better so I gained some. So Ativan several days now and its just perfect. Little sleepy but I'll work through that.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2013 1:05 AM

Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Most subtle of the benzos i have tried. Made me sleepy the first hour or two, but then stabilized anxiety and mood for about 6 hours. Much longer lasting than it is given credit for. Good PRN medication. Other benzos cause some moodiness or depression even. Although I think Lorazepam can, it is much smoother than others. It again is too sedating for many people though. I liked it about as good as Clonazepam, it is better than Valium IMO.

October 28, 2013 12:49 PM

Review by final666 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This is the one thing I can always count on to help me when I am in need . I have dealing with anxiety and depression my whole life I am 23 . It is great for calming you down I don't know what I would do without it

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 7:52 PM

Review by zigzag333 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a SEVERE panic/depression episode and was contemplating suicide (didn't tell Dr. about that part though) with uncontrollable crying "spells" and was prescribed 2mg Ativan and it was effective within just a few minutes. I calmed down and the racing thoughts, thoughts of suicide, and other feelings went on hold long enough to compose myself. I was on these for a few weeks and it saved my life. I was already on 2mg Xanax ER at the time but it didn't touch the episode I was having at the current time. However, the Xanax ER was very effective for what it was for, I just had an episode triggered by a bad event that override the power of the Xanax at the time.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2013 1:22 AM

Review by eddiekilby (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was in the E.R. for my usual anxiety waiting to be sent to a Mental health treatment facility. I lay there for seven hours. I tired but I could not sleep. It's like the voices around me were getting louder and louder. I eventually exploded. It took three security people and nurse stuck me in my thigh from a distance with Ativan, it was great. The Anxiety demons went away and I felt normal. I was later prescribed Ativan. I've tried many medicines in my twenty seven year battle with Depression and Social anxiety and anxiety and O.C.D. and P.D.S.D. Nothing works like Ativan.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 12:36 PM

Review by Lisbeth Tree:

One of the first medications given to me to help with my social anxiety and panic attacks. Never failed me, and actually help me get past my anxiety during job interviews and applications, which normally had me throwing up and shaking before hand. I never took it often enough to get much tolerance, although with in a year, I admit, about 2 times when i had extra I took it recreationally.

June 5, 2013 6:59 AM

Review by BWilmarth:

Though I've rated this medication an 8 (when I first started taking it I would have rated it at 12!). I must caution ANY who use it to use it STRICTLY as directed by your (presumably responsible/knowledgeable psych/med doc).

May 30, 2013 6:39 PM

Review by Deb S. (taken for less than 1 month):

While taking Ativan my memory was affected. I noticed that my short term memory was not good. I think I should be on this short term only.

May 25, 2013 8:17 PM