User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Levofloxacin Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 132 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levofloxacin to treat Bronchitis

"I have auto immune disease and after 2 bouts in the hospital and 2 inpatient stays I could not get them to give me anythnig stronger than doxycycline. It would wear off and then come right back. After only 2 days on Levofloxcin, I see marked improvement, I can breathe, go out and walk. I am taking it combined with prednisone 3 pills am 2 pills at night and finally Im not hacking up green phlegm. I know this medicine is not for everyone but for people who suffer from resistant infections not helped by anything else like me with COPD its a god send. I am not having any of the tendonitis anyone is talking about. You need to make sure you are taking supplements because it tends to deplete magnesium."

kwoolrich1967 July 19, 2015

"Although it got rid of my bronchitis it gave me a certain form of ulcerative colitis!"

barrioladyof4eyes May 21, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I have been on this antibiotic for 6 days for pneumonia and while the cough has slowed way down, I am having severe chest pain. I am thinking it's because when I do have a coughing fit it's violent, Brutal. I only have one more dose at 500 mg and I am worried I'm relapsing, though no high temp I feel almost like I started out. I am now trying herbal teas, garlic, Rosemary and Kombucha. I just started these so I'm praying it will all work as a team. No side effects only a little queasy!"

CLoggins (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis, 500mg. for 7 days. It really cleared up the bronchitis, but left me with bad tendonitis in my right leg. No telling how long this will go on. I can barely walk when I first get up in the morning, although it gets better with gentle exercise. I too have noticed crazy dreams, no dizziness, but I think it is causing me to make some bad decisions. Do not take this medicine for anything under any conditions. Find some other drug. The side effects are unpredictable, come on after you have already stopped taking it, and are miserable. I'm going to try some of the remedies the other reviewers have mentioned."

pxebtz (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

"I had been suffering from what I thought to be bronchitis for several months. I would cough sputum for about 1/2 hour in the morning when I awoke and after I laid down at night. I've tried over the counter and another antibiotic from the doctor. After going back to the doctor because nothing was working, he prescribed Levofloxacin, 500 mg/daily. Within a few days I could tell the infection was clearing. Within a week, the coughing and sputum was gone."

Buster00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Every winter I get terrible Bronchitis. Usually am constantly coughing, use a nebulizer, use inhaler, this all last literally until spring! Coughing for months. This time caught it early. Took shots and Levaquin for ten days. Felt like total crude for the whole time BUT it worked. First time it all left without those months of cough, cough, coughing solid back to back. Can't tell you what a relief it was. SO take it!! Despite side affects unless it's too serious you'll be glad you did!!"

PJPKR January 16, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "This is my 3rd time taking this medicine. First 2 times my shin bones hurt bad for 2 weeks this time my left thumb and palm so far hurts badly but this medicine does work for what ailes me. I just hope my shin bones don't hurt so bad this time. By the way my prescription is 5 pills of 750mg daily for 5 days."

an old fart (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2014

"I was placed on levofloxacin 500 mg for 10 days. I have terrible side effects from the medicine: insomnia, headache, dizzy spells. Worst of all I do not see my symptoms improving. I am on day 5 of the medicine, I hope it works soon."

Mere13 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "This is the third time I had asthmatic bronchitis and using Levaquin. First time I had been given Biaxin which not only didn't work but I almost had to be hospitalized. Then prescribed Levaquin and by the fifth day felt 100% better. Side effects get less with each day.(Mine are stomach upset and drowsiness) But without this medicine I would need oxygen. Thanks there are better options."

LinZee55 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I have a very bad bout of bronchitis. I'm on day 5 and I don't feel markedly improved. The coughing is not quite as often, however when I do cough the phlegm feels thicker and the coughing spasms are more violent. It could be because the Mucinex is now wearing off. I just had higher expectations. Now I'm nervous, because I don't feel like my condition is improving. And the sound and feel of the mucus is a lot worse, but no side effects."

Shay_Shay (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

"I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics in 12 days. As well as 2 steroid injections and 2 antibiotic injections, the last one being Rocephin. All of this treatment is for a sinus infection, bilateral ear infections as well as bronchitis. Thank goodness, day 2 of Levaquin I am feeling like I am going to make it. Next time it will be Levaquin first!"

Lizzie Lou January 2, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Was given this drug following severe bronchitis due to chronic dental inflammations. By day 3, I realized my left ankle was painful and hobbled. I read the black box warnings and immediately discontinued the drug, however, that ankle and then the other one got progressively worse. I was barely making it to work and back, trying to do eldercare solo, and thinking I was going to be crippled for life 6 months later. Was seriously looking into joining class action lawsuit and probably should have, but no energy left over. Think megadoses of magnesium and supplements plus some homeopathics like Thuja finally tipped the balance, and I gradually was able to walk normally without pain again. Used Oil of Oregano to clear the infections."

Healthcaring (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

"I'm 35 (female) and this medicine helped the bronchitis in 1st dose. However, this is the 3rd night with extreme insomnia, dizziness and burst of energy and no appetite. Feels like I've had an energy drink, great for the day but I toss and turn all night long. I'm lucky if I get 2 -3 hours of sleep! Oh yes my stomach sometimes feels queasy."

Anonymous 35 Female (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2013

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Two years ago I suffered with chronic pneumonia for over a year. It seemed my GP couldn't be bothered to figure out why I wasn't getting better. (I later found out she had never prescribed Levaquin to people, nor did she know that this was a medicine that should be considered when the first "go to" antibiotics don't work. Finally, after another ER visit I sought the advice of a great pulmonologist who prescribed 750mg of Levaquin for a 10-day course. I started feeling better immediately and it was the last antibiotic I had to take because it finally knocked out the pneumonia. I had no side effects. I have pneumonia again and went straight to Levaquin. I now request it & is the only antibiotic I'll take for these types of infections."

Punky33 May 9, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Levaquin is the only antibiotic that works for me when I get either bronchitis or pneumonia. I take 750mg for 10 days and I swear by it. I've been taking it for years with no noticeable side effects. I am now 62."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 5, 2012

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis. Very dizzy and nauseous after one pill. "

Anonymous June 3, 2012

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Took this last year for my first bout with pneumonia, I felt like I was on deaths door, cleared it up in 5 days. Now back 10 months later with bronchitis, not nearly as bad as pneumonia but getting ready for a 7 day hiking trip in Maine, asked Dr for this again, 2 days later I feel 90% better. I love this medicine."

Anonymous May 25, 2012

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia at least every other year for the past 20 or so years. Out of all of those illnesses I was given Levaquin twice and can not understand why it wasn't perscribed more. I didn't have any side effects at all. In fact, my recovery time with this medicine was marked in days and not weeks like the other perscriptions! One year I actually lost 3 weeks of work (could have actually used more time but I didn't have any time left). I'm actually battling bronchitis right now and when I asked why Levaquin wasn't prescribed since it has worked so well in the past, the doctor just looked at me and said he prefers the Amoxicillin. Fine for him....he's not stuck in bed coughing up lungs!"

Anonymous February 16, 2012

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I took this and in 3 days I felt so much better. I took 500mg and Mucinex along side it. I always eat some type of vinegar foods (olives or pickles) and because antibiotics are hard on the stomach and vinegar offset the heartburn. I eat yogurt to offset the yeast infection and bananas to keep from muscle cramps (potassium). This is the only medicine that ever helps me. I had a doctor give me something and after 2 weeks it didn%u2019t even phase the infection. 3 days of Levaquin and I was back feeling so much better. I can%u2019t say enough about this medicine. My mom went on it as she got it too and she was shocked how much better she felt after it. She agreed this is a good antibiotic."

staygood123 December 23, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I've been taking Levofloxacin for bronchitis (5 days, 750 mg), and I think it's helped a little bit, but it's day five (last dose tonight) and I still feel only a little better than I did before I started. Maybe it's a virus or something, so it isn't responding? Oh well. The biggest problem I've had is the side effects: not as bad as what most people have been talking about (knock on wood), but I have experienced severe, severe nausea, and also insomnia. I take it at around 6 p.m., and the nausea usually goes away by the next afternoon. I started taking it with food, and also drinking a probiotic, and it seems to be helping a little, though I still feel a bit sick. The insomnia is pretty bad! "

Anonymous September 18, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Was given Levaquin for bronchitis/pneumonia. Within 15 minutes of first dose, I had violent vomiting that lasted almost a half hour. Cannot know if this would help or not. Doctor advised to discontinue use and continue with the steroids. After 4 days,congestion in chest almost cleared. Check all interactions before using."

Anonymous September 1, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I am 54 years old and was put on Levaquin in August. I had side effect from the medication that caused joint and tendon pain and damage. I used to take it when I was younger with a good outcome. It is now January and I still have very bad knee and tendon pain. Beware of the medication."

Anonymous January 12, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I was prescribed Levaquin for bronchitis and sinusitis. I have terrible dreams that wake me up every couple hours, so I'm so tired during the day. Also noticed numbness and shaking in my fingers. Made my skin and sinuses very dry. A little dizzy in the mornings, but that might be due to the lack of quality sleep. Hardly an appetite at all, and the headaches are horrible. But it does seem to be breaking up all the mucus in my chest and head. Finally I feel some relief after 2 months of being sick!"

Anonymous November 25, 2010

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I went to the Dr. yesterday feeling like I had some sort of cold, not thinking that Bronchitis was one of them, so he gave me Levaquin. I mentioned why not a Z Pack and he said this was stronger and after just one does the next morning I did feel better. I suppose to take it for 10 days at 500 MG - I haven't had any real big side effects just yet, but I did feel dizzy this morning"

irockfm2 March 9, 2010

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I feel good after taking levaquin because I feel the medicine is working. I was being cured. I admit that it is expensive but it is worth it. It really works!"

LOrina January 28, 2010