User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Levofloxacin Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 147 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levofloxacin to treat Bronchitis

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I was prescribed 500mg for 10 days for acute bronchitis, sinus infection as well as a very painful ear infection. After the first dose, I did feel a bit better. The second dose marked a big difference in how I was feeling overall. I was also prescribed a very expensive inhaler of Albuterol. (Rarely use) The third day was when I noticed that the side effects were now more of a problem than my illness. Metallic taste in my mouth, severe dry mouth, leg cramps, NO sleep, rise in BP and HR. dizziness, and ringing in my ears, agitation. I am on day 5 and do not want to finish the prescription but was warned, "take it completely..even after you begin to feel better." The only positive off chart effect is my skin is glowing!"

Anouk Tansy April 15, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I am 86 years old. I only took 2 doses of 750 mg over 2 days & was having calf pain, nervousness & trouble sleeping."

Patrick girl February 14, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I feel like I am going to itch my legs and feet off. I have a red bumpy rash. I had better go back to Doctor in the morning. I hate this - my legs and feet are so swelled up. Do not take this drug I ended up worse than I was. Thanks FDA"

itcy an scratchy February 13, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "The pain in my legs from the hips to the knee was excruciating. I thought I had bone cancer. This lasted for 2.5 weeks even after I stopped taking the med. Walking was almost impossible even with pain meds."

1Cate January 28, 2016

"Recently completed concurrent chemo & radiation for Stage 3 Lung Cancer. Then a week before I was scheduled for my follow-up CT/PET scans, I came down with a bad cough and high fever. I was diagnosed with bronchitis (thankfully not pneumonia!!) and prescribed 750mg of Levofloxacin daily. When I filled the prescription, my pharmacist advised me that it's a strong antibiotic and told me of the real possibility of tendonitis. She also told me to take a Probiotic a couple of hours before or after the Levofloxacin. This seems to be missing from all the bad reviews of this drug. Make sure to ask about taking a PROBIOTIC along with the Levofloxacin!! Yesterday was my 7th and final day of the drug and I feel 99% better. Never had ANY side effects!!"

BronchitisInBaltimore (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

"Wow, I wish I had studied on up Levofloxacin before I took my first dose for pneumonia. Two things, FIRST and least important, but I have never had a drug give me such an unpleasant rush before. No kidding, I thought I was having a stroke or cardiac; almost called 911. Recovered then read up on it. The problem: another drug I was taking that my regular pharmacist did not fill and did not know about. Like driving & whiskey. Both great, but not together. Stupid me! SECOND, it is flat knocking out a month-long infection that ruined Christmas, New Years, and almost a trip to some state out in the the Pacific Ocean."

Doug-Buddy (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"Been sick for a month. Doc gave me two antibiotics. Finally was prescribed levofloxacin and am grateful as I am finally on the mend!"

Nelly Noo January 13, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I took Levaquin and think it should be banned. I went to bed and had horrible racing thoughts...a terrible terrible experience. My Dr. insisted I come to office when I called in the morning. I would have liked to rate it as 0 but I had to select and the only option was 1. I will never take this family of drugs."

Anonymous January 9, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "After one 500mg dose of this drug, I began having a racing heart and my muscles twitching from head to toe, severe dizziness and nausea. This progressed to my ankle and knee joints cracking/popping upon walking, shoulder hurting, toe and finger pain and now, the next day, nerve pain in my occipital region on the back of my head. I began reading and started high doses of magnesium/transdermal mag spray, TONS of water, high doses Vit C, juicing and homemade bone broth with rest for my joints. This medicine apparently severely depletes the body of magnesium, damages michocondria and prevents new tendon cells from being formed. I hope what I'm doing counteracts any long term damage and I'm highly upset it was prescribed with black box warnings!"

MommaLyonn (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I took this antibiotic for a bronchial infection. I did get rid of the infection. But while on it, I had horrible nightmares (the gory kind you can't talk about); was jittery, moody and the tendonitis in my shoulder came back. I also have MS with mild symptoms. Problem is, now that I'm off of it I feel "fluish", my neck hurts, shoulder hurts, I've had horrible spasms in my legs and feet and not the kind that you get with MS. I was prescribed this because I can not take any of the "clillans" or erythamicin(sp) of a Z Pac. I have no idea when this is going to end. I would not recommend this to anyone. And don't get me started with the back pain."

Cacky (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

"BAD nausea - really afraid I was going to throw up and not keep my heart meds down! Excruciating foot cramps, leg cramps, no appetite, fatigue and couldn't wait to get done with these pills. I was up pretty much all night with insomnia and the foot cramps that wouldn't go away - night after night. My husband told me to bear through it and stay on the meds for the 7 days as this was my second bout with bronchitis in a month. Even drinking a lot of water didn't help with it. Took yogurt and STILL had nausea. These pills are AWFUL!!!! I will NEVER, EVER take this poison again! Expensive $80 for 7 days. Too many bad side effects. "

GFin November 10, 2015

"Had a sinus infection and bronchitis. Dr. rx zithromiacin which got rid of my sinus infection, but not my bronchitis. Went back to the Dr. and he rx Levofloxacin 500 mg. After a couple of days my lungs were clear. No side effects Thank you Levofloxacin!!"

Louie from Woodland Ca September 21, 2015

"Have been off this med for over 6 weeks and still having side effects, diarrhea, headache,dizzy spells, muscle aches and sleeplessness. Will NEVER take this medicine again !!!"

Papa6 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Horrible horrible nausea"

MamaMel69 August 12, 2015

"I have auto immune disease and after 2 bouts in the hospital and 2 inpatient stays I could not get them to give me anythnig stronger than doxycycline. It would wear off and then come right back. After only 2 days on Levofloxcin, I see marked improvement, I can breathe, go out and walk. I am taking it combined with prednisone 3 pills am 2 pills at night and finally Im not hacking up green phlegm. I know this medicine is not for everyone but for people who suffer from resistant infections not helped by anything else like me with COPD its a god send. I am not having any of the tendonitis anyone is talking about. You need to make sure you are taking supplements because it tends to deplete magnesium."

kwoolrich1967 July 19, 2015

"Although it got rid of my bronchitis it gave me a certain form of ulcerative colitis!"

barrioladyof4eyes May 21, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I have been on this antibiotic for 6 days for pneumonia and while the cough has slowed way down, I am having severe chest pain. I am thinking it's because when I do have a coughing fit it's violent, Brutal. I only have one more dose at 500 mg and I am worried I'm relapsing, though no high temp I feel almost like I started out. I am now trying herbal teas, garlic, Rosemary and Kombucha. I just started these so I'm praying it will all work as a team. No side effects only a little queasy!"

CLoggins (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I was prescribed this medicine for bronchitis, 500mg. for 7 days. It really cleared up the bronchitis, but left me with bad tendonitis in my right leg. No telling how long this will go on. I can barely walk when I first get up in the morning, although it gets better with gentle exercise. I too have noticed crazy dreams, no dizziness, but I think it is causing me to make some bad decisions. Do not take this medicine for anything under any conditions. Find some other drug. The side effects are unpredictable, come on after you have already stopped taking it, and are miserable. I'm going to try some of the remedies the other reviewers have mentioned."

pxebtz (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2015

"I had been suffering from what I thought to be bronchitis for several months. I would cough sputum for about 1/2 hour in the morning when I awoke and after I laid down at night. I've tried over the counter and another antibiotic from the doctor. After going back to the doctor because nothing was working, he prescribed Levofloxacin, 500 mg/daily. Within a few days I could tell the infection was clearing. Within a week, the coughing and sputum was gone."

Buster00 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "Every winter I get terrible Bronchitis. Usually am constantly coughing, use a nebulizer, use inhaler, this all last literally until spring! Coughing for months. This time caught it early. Took shots and Levaquin for ten days. Felt like total crude for the whole time BUT it worked. First time it all left without those months of cough, cough, coughing solid back to back. Can't tell you what a relief it was. SO take it!! Despite side affects unless it's too serious you'll be glad you did!!"

PJPKR January 16, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "This is my 3rd time taking this medicine. First 2 times my shin bones hurt bad for 2 weeks this time my left thumb and palm so far hurts badly but this medicine does work for what ailes me. I just hope my shin bones don't hurt so bad this time. By the way my prescription is 5 pills of 750mg daily for 5 days."

an old fart (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2014

"I was placed on levofloxacin 500 mg for 10 days. I have terrible side effects from the medicine: insomnia, headache, dizzy spells. Worst of all I do not see my symptoms improving. I am on day 5 of the medicine, I hope it works soon."

Mere13 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "This is the third time I had asthmatic bronchitis and using Levaquin. First time I had been given Biaxin which not only didn't work but I almost had to be hospitalized. Then prescribed Levaquin and by the fifth day felt 100% better. Side effects get less with each day.(Mine are stomach upset and drowsiness) But without this medicine I would need oxygen. Thanks there are better options."

LinZee55 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I have a very bad bout of bronchitis. I'm on day 5 and I don't feel markedly improved. The coughing is not quite as often, however when I do cough the phlegm feels thicker and the coughing spasms are more violent. It could be because the Mucinex is now wearing off. I just had higher expectations. Now I'm nervous, because I don't feel like my condition is improving. And the sound and feel of the mucus is a lot worse, but no side effects."

Shay_Shay (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2014

"I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics in 12 days. As well as 2 steroid injections and 2 antibiotic injections, the last one being Rocephin. All of this treatment is for a sinus infection, bilateral ear infections as well as bronchitis. Thank goodness, day 2 of Levaquin I am feeling like I am going to make it. Next time it will be Levaquin first!"

Lizzie Lou January 2, 2014