User Reviews for Femara

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 6 reviews 18 medications

6.5
Summary of Femara reviews 37 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Femara

For Breast Cancer "diagnosed May 2014 with Stage 3 Breast cancer after chemo, removal of the tumor & lymph nods, radiation I started Femara been on it almost 6 months and I have daily joint & muscle pain, fatigue, hot flashes, and most of all weight gain, Im really trying to eat healthy and exercise, but working a full time job its a tough routine to keep up with everyday, (55 and post menopausal). But hey Im still here and hopeful the medication does the good job of keeping the cancer at bay. Doing my best with the symptoms."

Caner Free for now! (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

For Breast Cancer "I have recently started taking femara. The first few days were really tough. I had muscle pain and was very emotional and horrible periarea dryness. I would cry about anything. These symptoms have pretty much gone away after day 4. Now after a month, my main side effects seem to be evening fatigue (I would really like to go to bed at 6:30pm) and fuzzy thinking. During the first couple of days of taking this medicine I had my doubts if I would continue, but now I think with time I will find ways to work around the side effects. They really aren't that bothersome."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "Stage IIIc Lobular breast CA, node , Started generic Femara 18 months ago after radiation. Minor side effects- hair loss, nails, skin, vaginal dryness. Major- started out with tolerable joint, bone and muscle pain. But about a month ago, these symptoms became severe enough to decrease my quality of life. My oncologist did blood work, all okay. She wanted a bone scan but after ready reviews, this is the Femara not bone cancer. She just has not had amy Patients do this, the literature is based on trials not general population. The literature( and she told me) the symptoms go away by 8 months! Not!! I also have MS ( still mobile, but that has some same/ similar side affects) but Femara more like arthritis. Knees, ankles. Stay on though!"

Janny'darie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic "Breast Cancer in 1999 Stage 1 Distant recurrence lung tumor in 2012. Given Femara (letrozole). After two months tumor shrunk. Almost 3 years now on letrozole. No side effects and no evidence of disease."

marie I. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2015

For Breast Cancer "Had Grade A Breast Cancer that was caught early. Had a mass and one lymph node removed. Went on Femara on Nov. 8, 2014, the day after I finished radiation. At first, I didn't notice anything. Slowly the pain in my feet started, then other joints in my body. I felt like I was having trouble getting air into my lungs. I started feeling like I was in a fog. I already had been diagnosed with depression years ago which was under control with medication. I started experiencing depression a couple of weeks ago which included waking up and crying. That turned into suicidal depression. Without pain medication, I couldn't move around well. The bottom of my feet were killing me. I work full time. I quit the Femara 2 days ago."

Chille Hille (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2015

For Female Infertility "I struggled with infertility for years. Two months on this medicine and we were pregnant and I now have a healthy 4 year old."

Megzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2014

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "I was diagnosed in 2009, had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation. Managed to continue working through it all. Then took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years...had horrible muscle cramping and hot flashes, switched to letrozole after determining I was post menopausal. The major muscle cramps lessened considerably, as did the hot flashes. I took this for 2 1/2 years, just stopping 3 weeks ago. I have muscle, joint, bone achiness 24/7, no energy, tired always, feel like I'm in a fog, tinnitus, heartburn, slow metabolism with weight gain. How long will it take to reverse all of these side effects now that I no longer take it? I even quit taking ibuprofen because it doesn't do anything for the pains. I am now 2 months from being 50 years old."

doghouse814 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2014

For Female Infertility "I struggled with getting pregnant due to infertility, I also only have one fallopian tube. First round of fertility treatment on this medication worked!! Now I have a happy 3 month old!!"

Happy Mommy0124 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2014

For Breast Cancer "I have been on Femara for 3 years now, following 5 years on Tamoxifen as part of the Tango treatment for breast cancer. I have experienced severe joint pain, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, etc. But thought it was worth the effects in order to keep me 'cancer free'. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. I have also issues with bone problems i.e. broke my foot 4 years ago & chipped my knee joint. But hey I'm still here. Keep persevering girls!"

Billytup October 11, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "After a lumpectomy for stage 1 Breast Cancer, I was prescribed two other aromatase inhibitors prior to Femara. I had occasional head pain in one spot from all of them. I also had trigger finger and terrible knee pain from Arimidex. My doctor then put me on brand name Femara and the joint pain, head pain, and trigger finger all went away. What is bothering me now is the hair loss (can see my scalp!), memory loss--constantly groping for words. Sometimes I do feel like I'm "foggy" but mostly I just can't remember words. I feel it is getting worse as time goes on and I do not understand why others report the same but there is no mention of this in the patient information leaflet."

Loving Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2013

207 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I have been on Femara for 9 months. First few months were tolerable, as time progresses, I am miserable. In beginning, I experienced nausea and diarrhea. As this went away, the bone and joint pain began. I would be awakened from my sleep in tears, as my hips would ache just from lying in bed. My hands/fingers hurt to make a fist, or do any type of extended writing. My knees ache horribly. When I get out of bed in the morning, I need to stand still for at least 2 or 3 minutes until I can get my legs to work. Same thing when sitting for any length of time. I am 45 and feel like I am 85. "

Femaranotforme October 8, 2013

224 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 2) - underwent 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks radiation. My hair regrowth was pretty quick but began thinning significantly after about a year of Tamoxifen usage (could see my scalp pretty clearly in the front and on top of my head). My doctor switched me to Femara about 2 months ago - side effects include lots of hot flashes (about 6-10 daily) and weight gain which I am combating by working out everyday and cutting my calories. I am prayerful that I don't experience anymore hair loss or the joint pain that I keep reading about. Everyone hang in there!"

Mrs. Nagbe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "I had stage 3 breast cancer have been through chemo, radiation and have been on Femara for 4 months. I started on Aromasin but had terrible joint and muscle pain so my oncologist changed me to Femara. My joints and muscles feel better but I am so tired that even my oncologist tells me I look worn out. I will live with the fatigue as I know this medicine works. I am 58 and I can no longer do what I did less than a year ago. I ride a bike 40 minutes a day, I eat healthy but I just have no vitality. I miss my old self."

cauryn August 30, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic "Femara for 18 months no side effects for first 6 months, then joint and muscle pain, physical fatigue, bone density loss. Will continue for as long as it works, at the moment looking clear, I want to live."

ramade June 5, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "When I switched aromatase inhibitors from Arimidex to Femara it was a world of difference! The terrible side effects I was experiencing made me question whether survival from breast cancer was worth it if my life would be spent with Arimidex side effects of irritability, MORE hair loss, joint pains, etc. My oncologist switched me to Femara and my life returned to more pleasant and more energy. I have been suggesting this change to all my blogging support group that are having problems with Arimadex. Later adding OTC Biosil and SamE have also helped the hair and joint and mood issues."

mary dresden May 21, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I have been taking Femara for almost two years now after my second surgery for estrogen receptive positive breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. Sure there are multiple side effects, some pretty tough to deal with sometimes but I am 66 years young and I love living. Give it a GO and keep on living."

Tootygirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2013

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I have been on Femara for almost a year. At first I had nearly constant hot flashes/night sweats. Was started on Effexor with nearly immediate relief. Have had increasingly painful joint and muscle pain, especially in my knees. Nothing seems to be helping much with that and it has been a major detriment to my quality of life. Have recently added Magnesium, Fish Oil and Glucosamine/Chrondroitin to the Calcium and D3 I had been taking. Hopefully this will ease the joint stiffness and pain. I am 52 and some days feel 92. Still I am cancer free so far, so I will continue to take Femara."

EricaLisa February 9, 2013

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic "I've been taking Femara since the breast cancer was discovered in my lung - that has been 10 years this year. Two types of chemo failed to knock it out and as I was preparing for radiation, I started taking Femara. Within a month the tumor began to shrink and all that is left is scarring where it once was. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending it to me. My other oncologist didn't even mention it. Needless to say I'm happy to be alive and enjoying life."

Anonymous May 9, 2012

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I have been on Femara for 4 months. Hand pain and weight gain."

lkw123 April 23, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "I am 65 and have been on Femara for 2 years. Side effects quite severe. Joint pain, lost libido, dry vagina. However it is what it is and we must continue to take. So, I decided to fight the effect, dry vagina improved with a non hormonal lubricant. For joint pain, fish oil, magnesium, zinc and calcium twice a day, big improvement. Also each morning no matter how stiff you are, go walking, it warms up the joints and gets you going for the rest of the day. I also do weights 3 times a week to increase muscle to protect bones. All have made big a difference. No weight gain. Vitamins have certainly helped keep hair and skin in good condition. Three more years of it so it's best to just keep trying to counteract the negative effects."

noosa April 11, 2012

261 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "I have been on Femara for five years now. I have had some side effects like dizziness and slight joint pain. All in all, if it keeps breast cancer away I am happy to take the medication. "

Lucydog7 March 12, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic "After a year on Femara I am beginning to experience severe hair loss, bald patches on top of my head and the hair is turning thin and brittle. Insomnia for the last 2 months, pain in my joints, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and am very forgetful, i.e. find it defficult to concentrate. But, if Femara stops the recurrence of cancer, I'll keep taking it. If it just were not for the hair loss. "

MVR March 3, 2012

For Breast Cancer "I had many side effects- including, hot flashes, confusion, stomach problems, vaginal dryness, tired easily and bone weakening. On the bright side-I have had no recurrence and it is now 12 years since my diagnosis with lymph node involvement."

rosies mom February 8, 2012

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant "After reading of so many negative side effects of Femara I was hesitant to start. Since it decreases my chances of recurrence by 25% I felt I must try it. I've been on it for 1 year now and have had very few if any negative side effects. My hair regrowth has been spotty and slow, whether due to the Femara or just the general effects of chemo and radiation I'm not sure. I switched 2 months ago to the generic formula, have noticed no changes. I feel very fortunate not to have suffered many of the effects other women have reported."

Anonymous November 18, 2011

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Breast Cancer "My main concern was the memory loss. I could tolerate the hot flashes, the "morning sickness" was undesired and difficult, but the memory loss is something I can't deal with."

Anonymous September 20, 2011

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate