User Reviews for Femara

6.9
Summary of Femara reviews 31 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Femara

Review by doghouse814 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I was diagnosed in 2009, had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation. Managed to continue working through it all. Then took tamoxifen for 2 1/2 years...had horrible muscle cramping and hot flashes, switched to letrozole after determining I was post menopausal. The major muscle cramps lessened considerably, as did the hot flashes. I took this for 2 1/2 years, just stopping 3 weeks ago. I have muscle, joint, bone achiness 24/7, no energy, tired always, feel like I'm in a fog, tinnitus, heartburn, slow metabolism with weight gain. How long will it take to reverse all of these side effects now that I no longer take it? I even quit taking ibuprofen because it doesn't do anything for the pains. I am now 2 months from being 50 years old.

July 19, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Happy Mommy0124 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Female Infertility: I struggled with getting pregnant due to infertility, I also only have one fallopian tube. First round of fertility treatment on this medication worked!! Now I have a happy 3 month old!!

April 23, 2014 7:02 PM

Review by Billytup:

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 3 years now, following 5 years on Tamoxifen as part of the Tango treatment for breast cancer. I have experienced severe joint pain, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, etc. But thought it was worth the effects in order to keep me 'cancer free'. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. I have also issues with bone problems i.e. broke my foot 4 years ago & chipped my knee joint. But hey I'm still here. Keep persevering girls!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2013 7:34 AM

Review by Loving Life (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Breast Cancer: After a lumpectomy for stage 1 Breast Cancer, I was prescribed two other aromatase inhibitors prior to Femara. I had occasional head pain in one spot from all of them. I also had trigger finger and terrible knee pain from Arimidex. My doctor then put me on brand name Femara and the joint pain, head pain, and trigger finger all went away. What is bothering me now is the hair loss (can see my scalp!), memory loss--constantly groping for words. Sometimes I do feel like I'm "foggy" but mostly I just can't remember words. I feel it is getting worse as time goes on and I do not understand why others report the same but there is no mention of this in the patient information leaflet.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Review by Femaranotforme:

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 9 months. First few months were tolerable, as time progresses, I am miserable. In beginning, I experienced nausea and diarrhea. As this went away, the bone and joint pain began. I would be awakened from my sleep in tears, as my hips would ache just from lying in bed. My hands/fingers hurt to make a fist, or do any type of extended writing. My knees ache horribly. When I get out of bed in the morning, I need to stand still for at least 2 or 3 minutes until I can get my legs to work. Same thing when sitting for any length of time. I am 45 and feel like I am 85.

October 8, 2013 8:48 PM

Review by Mrs. Nagbe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Breast Cancer: I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 2) - underwent 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks radiation. My hair regrowth was pretty quick but began thinning significantly after about a year of Tamoxifen usage (could see my scalp pretty clearly in the front and on top of my head). My doctor switched me to Femara about 2 months ago - side effects include lots of hot flashes (about 6-10 daily) and weight gain which I am combating by working out everyday and cutting my calories. I am prayerful that I don't experience anymore hair loss or the joint pain that I keep reading about. Everyone hang in there!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 3:10 PM

Review by cauryn:

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I had stage 3 breast cancer have been through chemo, radiation and have been on Femara for 4 months. I started on Aromasin but had terrible joint and muscle pain so my oncologist changed me to Femara. My joints and muscles feel better but I am so tired that even my oncologist tells me I look worn out. I will live with the fatigue as I know this medicine works. I am 58 and I can no longer do what I did less than a year ago. I ride a bike 40 minutes a day, I eat healthy but I just have no vitality. I miss my old self.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 1:34 AM

Review by ramade:

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: Femara for 18 months no side effects for first 6 months, then joint and muscle pain, physical fatigue, bone density loss. Will continue for as long as it works, at the moment looking clear, I want to live.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2013 12:09 PM

Review by mary dresden:

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: When I switched aromatase inhibitors from Arimidex to Femara it was a world of difference! The terrible side effects I was experiencing made me question whether survival from breast cancer was worth it if my life would be spent with Arimidex side effects of irritability, MORE hair loss, joint pains, etc. My oncologist switched me to Femara and my life returned to more pleasant and more energy. I have been suggesting this change to all my blogging support group that are having problems with Arimadex. Later adding OTC Biosil and SamE have also helped the hair and joint and mood issues.

May 21, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Tootygirl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Breast Cancer: I have been taking Femara for almost two years now after my second surgery for estrogen receptive positive breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. Sure there are multiple side effects, some pretty tough to deal with sometimes but I am 66 years young and I love living. Give it a GO and keep on living.

April 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by EricaLisa:

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for almost a year. At first I had nearly constant hot flashes/night sweats. Was started on Effexor with nearly immediate relief. Have had increasingly painful joint and muscle pain, especially in my knees. Nothing seems to be helping much with that and it has been a major detriment to my quality of life. Have recently added Magnesium, Fish Oil and Glucosamine/Chrondroitin to the Calcium and D3 I had been taking. Hopefully this will ease the joint stiffness and pain. I am 52 and some days feel 92. Still I am cancer free so far, so I will continue to take Femara.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2013 12:51 PM

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: I've been taking Femara since the breast cancer was discovered in my lung - that has been 10 years this year. Two types of chemo failed to knock it out and as I was preparing for radiation, I started taking Femara. Within a month the tumor began to shrink and all that is left is scarring where it once was. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending it to me. My other oncologist didn't even mention it. Needless to say I'm happy to be alive and enjoying life.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2012 2:37 PM

Review by lkw123:

For Breast Cancer: I have been on Femara for 4 months. Hand pain and weight gain.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2012 5:19 PM

Review by noosa:

For Breast Cancer: I am 65 and have been on Femara for 2 years. Side effects quite severe. Joint pain, lost libido, dry vagina. However it is what it is and we must continue to take. So, I decided to fight the effect, dry vagina improved with a non hormonal lubricant. For joint pain, fish oil, magnesium, zinc and calcium twice a day, big improvement. Also each morning no matter how stiff you are, go walking, it warms up the joints and gets you going for the rest of the day. I also do weights 3 times a week to increase muscle to protect bones. All have made big a difference. No weight gain. Vitamins have certainly helped keep hair and skin in good condition. Three more years of it so it's best to just keep trying to counteract the negative effects.

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2012 3:11 AM

Review by Lucydog7:

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: I have been on Femara for five years now. I have had some side effects like dizziness and slight joint pain. All in all, if it keeps breast cancer away I am happy to take the medication.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2012 11:55 PM

Review by MVR:

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: After a year on Femara I am beginning to experience severe hair loss, bald patches on top of my head and the hair is turning thin and brittle. Insomnia for the last 2 months, pain in my joints, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and am very forgetful, i.e. find it defficult to concentrate. But, if Femara stops the recurrence of cancer, I'll keep taking it. If it just were not for the hair loss.

March 3, 2012 1:39 PM

Review by rosies mom:

For Breast Cancer: I had many side effects- including, hot flashes, confusion, stomach problems, vaginal dryness, tired easily and bone weakening. On the bright side-I have had no recurrence and it is now 12 years since my diagnosis with lymph node involvement.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2012 10:54 PM

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: After reading of so many negative side effects of Femara I was hesitant to start. Since it decreases my chances of recurrence by 25% I felt I must try it. I've been on it for 1 year now and have had very few if any negative side effects. My hair regrowth has been spotty and slow, whether due to the Femara or just the general effects of chemo and radiation I'm not sure. I switched 2 months ago to the generic formula, have noticed no changes. I feel very fortunate not to have suffered many of the effects other women have reported.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2011 8:05 PM

For Breast Cancer: My main concern was the memory loss. I could tolerate the hot flashes, the "morning sickness" was undesired and difficult, but the memory loss is something I can't deal with.

September 20, 2011 8:28 PM

For Breast Cancer: I am 46 yrs old, stage IV MBC to lungs, been on femara for 1.5 years. My tumors were 40% down after one year and I am about to do next ct-scan soon. My side effects are minor muscle pain (and possibly some anxiety but may be unrelated). I have simultaneously adopted vegan life style and do regular exercise (yoga and walking). I have so much energy I don't know what to do with it. I don't gain weight either, and my muscle pain is usually gone after a brief stretch or walk. I highly recommend vegan diet and exercise to those who want to minimize pain. Thanks all and good luck.

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2011 3:25 PM

Review by jkique:

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: Had to get off of this. I still work and could not get past the "brain fog" and severe joint pain.

November 30, 2010 4:14 PM

Review by SusanLea:

For Breast Cancer: I'm 4 years status post breast CA and doing well... no recurrence for my Stage IIIA. I started taking tamoxifen, then my oncologist switched me to Femara. I do have frequent hot flashes ((whew!) and joint and bone pain that worsens with being tired. Overall, I am able to tolerate the medication, and my oncologist believes it is the treatment of choice for me. The side effects of being without estrogen are worse than the Femara side effects. I know the drug is working as having no estrogen produced results in atrophic vaginitis, decreased sex drive, and other female issues that are bothersome. But, in the big picture of life, it's a small price to pay to be, and hopefully stay, cancer free. I will continue to use Femara!

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2010 9:58 AM

For Breast Cancer: I was on Tamoxifen for 2 years following breast cancer and doing fine. My oncologist wanted to try Femara because it could be a little better. I was on it for about 3 months when I awoke in the middle of the night with horrible joint pain, It had been coming on slowly, but I thought it was carpel tunnel, maybe arthritis. Then I realized that my doctor had said that joint pain was a possible side effect of Femara. I was also gaining approximately 2 pounds a month! I have been off of it for a month now, but am still having pain. It is worse in the mornings and evenings. Trying to grip with my hands is very difficult some mornings. My doctor said it could take a few months to get this out of my system.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2010 11:26 AM

Review by Still Here:

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: After 7 years of several different medicines to try to stop the growth of the tumors, Femara is the only one which worked for me. My WBC is higher, the tumor has actually shrunk in the breast - but being realistic, it's not a cure-all, a patch for a longer life but eventually we all expire. I highly recommend this product for those who want longevity without losing your quality of life.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2010 10:54 AM

For Breast Cancer: I am 52 years old and I too feel older than I am. I already have problems getting out of bed and I suffered with Sarcoidosis which affect the organs and causes joint pain, sending me constantly to different Specialists. Now I am taking Femara and it's not only causing me more pain, but it's causing my hair to fall out or thinning! I also notice that my vision is impaired sometimes when I'm driving and I only drive when I have too, but sometimes I find myself trying hard to focus. This is scary! I am calling my Oncologist tomorrow morning first thing.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2009 5:06 PM