User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"I titrated up to 75 and stayed there for about 5 weeks. My depression lightened a bit but it was not effective during my menstrual cycle. Eventually I started experiencing blurry vision and I read that was a common side effect, so I weaned off of it."

LostInSpace18940 January 30, 2016

"I am currently on a 150mg maintenance dosage. I do take this in combination with other medications because I also have Panic/Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia. A year ago I was in such a deep depression (for months). I was not exactly suicidal but often prayed I would go to sleep & not wake up. I began seeing a new psychiatrist & he immediately started me on Lamictal. Literally within weeks I noticed my depression was now under control! I truly believe this medication saved my life. I am definitely still a work in progress, but I am in a much better place. I can actually see the future."

Stacie331 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

"I have been on various anti depressants since my late teens. Everything's from fluoxetine citalopram, clomipramine and in a full breakdown; a combination of mirtazapine and Effexor. It was this last one which took me sky high and so I stopped, also due to 30kg weight gain. After a couple of months I was suicidal and because I was diagnosed with bipolar since the mania on the antidepressants I was recommended going on to a cocktail of quetiapine, depakote and lithium. No way was I taking that with the side effects and the horror stories about weight gain as I've lost the 30kg in weight I put on. Lamotrigine I heard was the only one for helping without the weight gain so I gave it a go. It took about 2 months but it works a treat now on 300mg"

Colin charles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I am diagnosed with major depression. My doctor added Lamictal because Wellbutrin alone was not effective. The addition of Lamictal improved my symptoms and maintained this improvement. There are three side effects I get with it. I get mild nausea, mild euphoria and sleepiness. I highly recommend it. My doctor says he has great results using it with his patients."

ChristyCee1987 December 11, 2015

"I originally began Lamotrigine about 6 weeks ago for Visual Snow syndrome caused by hallucinogen use. I am only on 75mg at this point as I've had to titrate up slowly. I've suffered major depression for most of my life and mild anxiety in the past year. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my mood on Lamotrigine. I have a greater sense of well being, I no longer think about suicide and I feel great about myself. It also decreases the intensity of my visual snow symptoms. I hardly notice or care about it anymore. No side effects either. This drug has truly been a blessing."

Juniper Berry November 25, 2015

"The first day of taking (50 mg) I feel better then I have in YEARS! I have suffered with depression, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia, and BPD (a mess I know). I have been on every antidepressant and antianxiety med over the past 10 years and I have to say it has done wonders! Looking forward to many more good days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"Thank you all for sharing. I am currently taking Lamictal for pain, because the side benefit is actually pain relief for peripheral neuropathy. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for my whole life, but after starting Lamictal, it has gotten worse. I also take blood pressure and hydroxyzine for sleep. Has anyone else had increased depression?"

Jessica Geese October 27, 2015

"I have had depression episodes all my life and had never been medicated. Three years ago, I had a huge burnout and finally opted for meds. I have tried Celexa, Effexor, Abilify & Cipralex. All of them helped to some extent but not to completely stop the depression in the long term. My psychiatrist recommended Lamotrigine. I had seen on this site so many positive reviews that I decided to try it. Like many others, it has been a miracle drug for me. I have been on it for 3 months now and aside for 2 or 3 small bumps on the road, I feel great! Except for dry mouth (not that bad), I have had no side effects. Don't give up! Good luck :-)"

Rick23 September 20, 2015

"I have bipolar 2 and anxiety. I've been on and off different medications for this over the last 20 years. I started on a small dosage about 7 months ago. I slowly made my way up to 100 mg oncedaily. I did have some skin reactions with each increase but it would disappear after a few days. This with my 150mg bupropion and 60mg of duloxtine has changed my life. I've only felt suicidal once over these 7 months and it was manageable and it abated quickly. My moods are stable and I've been able to face some challenges that would have crushed me if I wasn't taking lamotrigine. I love being stable and level headed. I do have some minor thought blocking and trouble remembering words sometimes but I'll take it!"

Kritkat228 September 7, 2015

"This medication saved my life at a time when I was severely suicidal. I finally feel "normal" after 5 years battling MDD and GAD. Tired citalopram, vibryd, Zoloft, Effexor, Xanax and some others I can't remember. Tried holistic and homeopathic remedies. I just kept getting worse and worse. I have no side effects, my depression and anxiety is completely manageable and I feel like I have my life back."

Katy G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

"I've taken lamictal for many years for depression. Prior I took Prozac and Zoloft with many side effects. I have a daughter with bipolar. It's worked great for bipolar and it works amazingly well for my depression and no side effects."

Catkilp (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2015

"Pmdd suffer for 15 years!! I stopped taking my antidepressants for Pmdd and so far this medication,has helped me tremendously all on its own. I advise anyone with depression to try this medication!"

Skyezone July 3, 2015

"I have went many yrs thinking I was not depressed. My symptoms were anxiety, mood swings and irritability and low energy. Other Drs tried antidepressant s and they always made me tired. Lamotrigine has truly shown me that it was depression. I have a much better mood and sense og calmness plus a little motivation boost!"

mamakitty3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2015

"I suffer from major depression and was a little skeptical when my doctor prescribed as I am not bipolar. It really works great and I have been on everything. There have been a few times that I did not refill my prescription right away and if I went without for a week I went into major depressive state. Within a day of going back on it, the depression subsided a great deal."

DianaAtlanta June 5, 2015

"I have major depression and was prescribed Lamictal along with the Abilify and Wellbutrin that I was already taking. I was surprised because Lamictal is usually given to bipolar people and I'm absolutely not bipolar, but it has really helped me. The only side effect I noticed is a tendency to break out a little more (not THE RASH). No weight gain (weight gain is an issue with so many other depression meds) and no other problems."

Hanna2273 May 30, 2015

"generic, inexpensive, the best medication i have ever taken...thank goodness for lamictal/lamotragine....zero side effects....normal stable mental life without deep depression and ruminations...wish i had this in my twenties...would have made life so much more enjoyable....the only drawback (is temporary) which is the slow titration...some anxiety, night sweats especially as dose is upped...taking 150 now which is pretty mild...at night...makes sleep perfect...no benzo's...another bad med imo....u can also take a little more lamictal to deal with any serious anxiety stress episode...i don't understand why this is not first line... and as far as SSRI's....for most people a big mistake to go down this road in my opinion and experience."

whatsup1234 February 28, 2015

"I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications."

notfine October 1, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself."

Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far so good. I still get bad days, but there's nothing that's going to change that."

ofmemphishorizons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2014

"The only treatment that has worked exceptionally well, with minimal side effects. Major benefits are: substantial improved mood, decrease in mood fluctuation, removed any suicide idealation, improved temper. Dramatic overall improvement in quality of life. Side effects: some drowsiness. Take at night."

C10fj (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014

"Lamictal along with Abilify has been a lifesaver for me. No antidepressant would work for me and I was feeling hopeless. I started taking Abilify and felt a little better. Once my doctor added Lamictal, I was back to my old self. I most note that you have to titrate up on the medicine no sooner than every 2 weeks. Once I hit the 100mg mark I started to feel better."

Guy21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2014

"Really helps out, puts you in a Normal mood and keeps you steady. No side effects . Does a great job"

Abesjk77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Best depression relief. Tried many others and many cocktails. This is by far the best. Side effects are livable."

ShortBus163 December 4, 2013

"If you suffer from depression this might be a medicine to take. It very helpful in controlling your symptoms. I've had depression symptoms for a while but never did a thing about it. I finally did through my primary doctor refer pain management & they refer me 2 see a psychologist."

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2013

"I really like it. I never had bipolar disorder, which I know that's what lamotrigine is primarily for, but it really helped me with depression and there were no side effects at all. It's helped me relax and enjoy life more. I'd highly recommend it."

jsecrest (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate