User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"I have suffering with mental illness for sometime now. Been on quite a few meds and nothing seemed to help with my depression. My doc put me on Lamictal starting at 25 mg now up to 100 mg for about 2 months now. This medication has really changed my life for the better! The depression is sooo much less and able to function. I would recommend this drug."

Sol1 May 22, 2016

"I was off medication for about one year while seeing a therapist when I decided to seek out a psychiatrist and try again. I explained to my psychiatrist that I feel as though my depression is secondary to my mood instability and the problems it continues to cause in my personal life. I said I didn't feel comfortable trying another anti-depressant due to prior bad experiences (self-harm, suicidal thoughts, etc). He suggested a mood stabilizer (Lamictal/lamotrigine). I started out at 50mg, then 100mg, 150mg, 200mg.. Honestly, it did nothing for me. If anything, I feel like it increased my symptoms. Long story short, I ended up in the ER two days ago due to a self-induced overdose.. Would never try it again, but just my personal experience."

Katie080392 May 15, 2016

"After 10 years of having nearly every SSRI' and SNRI work and then fail, I developed Sertonin Syndrome on a cocktail of both. I was so afraid to try any antidepressant...but my depression became life-threatening. I'm on only 50 mg. of lamictal (going slow!) for a month...and I am becoming cheerful! Amazing. I do have a slight facial rash I'm carefully watching. No other side effects."

marisol3 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

"Lamotrigine definitely made my depression worse. Got off it."

Pixie bee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

"I have had anxiety since I was 18. Paxil worked wonders for me until after I had kids. From then on no SSRI's worked much any more. I found an amazing lady who helped me figure out what was going on. We agreed that I have mood disorder not otherwise specified. I don't fit the criteria for bipolar because I don't get manic and my depression showed up more as anxiety. Any how, I started taxing lamotrigine XR and it has changed my life! I get nervous I am going to jinx it by admitting out loud how much it has helped me:) I used to read these posts and pray I had the same positive experiences. I am glad to say lamotrigine XR has given me that experience! The firing in my brain is finally calm!!!!"

TippyKanoe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

"I titrated up to 75 and stayed there for about 5 weeks. My depression lightened a bit but it was not effective during my menstrual cycle. Eventually I started experiencing blurry vision and I read that was a common side effect, so I weaned off of it."

LostInSpace18940 January 30, 2016

"I am currently on a 150mg maintenance dosage. I do take this in combination with other medications because I also have Panic/Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia. A year ago I was in such a deep depression (for months). I was not exactly suicidal but often prayed I would go to sleep & not wake up. I began seeing a new psychiatrist & he immediately started me on Lamictal. Literally within weeks I noticed my depression was now under control! I truly believe this medication saved my life. I am definitely still a work in progress, but I am in a much better place. I can actually see the future."

Stacie331 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

"I have been on various anti depressants since my late teens. Everything's from fluoxetine citalopram, clomipramine and in a full breakdown; a combination of mirtazapine and Effexor. It was this last one which took me sky high and so I stopped, also due to 30kg weight gain. After a couple of months I was suicidal and because I was diagnosed with bipolar since the mania on the antidepressants I was recommended going on to a cocktail of quetiapine, depakote and lithium. No way was I taking that with the side effects and the horror stories about weight gain as I've lost the 30kg in weight I put on. Lamotrigine I heard was the only one for helping without the weight gain so I gave it a go. It took about 2 months but it works a treat now on 300mg"

Colin charles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I am diagnosed with major depression. My doctor added Lamictal because Wellbutrin alone was not effective. The addition of Lamictal improved my symptoms and maintained this improvement. There are three side effects I get with it. I get mild nausea, mild euphoria and sleepiness. I highly recommend it. My doctor says he has great results using it with his patients."

ChristyCee1987 December 11, 2015

"I originally began Lamotrigine about 6 weeks ago for Visual Snow syndrome caused by hallucinogen use. I am only on 75mg at this point as I've had to titrate up slowly. I've suffered major depression for most of my life and mild anxiety in the past year. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my mood on Lamotrigine. I have a greater sense of well being, I no longer think about suicide and I feel great about myself. It also decreases the intensity of my visual snow symptoms. I hardly notice or care about it anymore. No side effects either. This drug has truly been a blessing."

Juniper Berry November 25, 2015

"The first day of taking (50 mg) I feel better then I have in YEARS! I have suffered with depression, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia, and BPD (a mess I know). I have been on every antidepressant and antianxiety med over the past 10 years and I have to say it has done wonders! Looking forward to many more good days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"Thank you all for sharing. I am currently taking Lamictal for pain, because the side benefit is actually pain relief for peripheral neuropathy. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for my whole life, but after starting Lamictal, it has gotten worse. I also take blood pressure and hydroxyzine for sleep. Has anyone else had increased depression?"

Jessica Geese October 27, 2015

"I have had depression episodes all my life and had never been medicated. Three years ago, I had a huge burnout and finally opted for meds. I have tried Celexa, Effexor, Abilify & Cipralex. All of them helped to some extent but not to completely stop the depression in the long term. My psychiatrist recommended Lamotrigine. I had seen on this site so many positive reviews that I decided to try it. Like many others, it has been a miracle drug for me. I have been on it for 3 months now and aside for 2 or 3 small bumps on the road, I feel great! Except for dry mouth (not that bad), I have had no side effects. Don't give up! Good luck :-)"

Rick23 September 20, 2015

"I have bipolar 2 and anxiety. I've been on and off different medications for this over the last 20 years. I started on a small dosage about 7 months ago. I slowly made my way up to 100 mg oncedaily. I did have some skin reactions with each increase but it would disappear after a few days. This with my 150mg bupropion and 60mg of duloxtine has changed my life. I've only felt suicidal once over these 7 months and it was manageable and it abated quickly. My moods are stable and I've been able to face some challenges that would have crushed me if I wasn't taking lamotrigine. I love being stable and level headed. I do have some minor thought blocking and trouble remembering words sometimes but I'll take it!"

Kritkat228 September 7, 2015

"This medication saved my life at a time when I was severely suicidal. I finally feel "normal" after 5 years battling MDD and GAD. Tired citalopram, vibryd, Zoloft, Effexor, Xanax and some others I can't remember. Tried holistic and homeopathic remedies. I just kept getting worse and worse. I have no side effects, my depression and anxiety is completely manageable and I feel like I have my life back."

Katy G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've taken lamictal for many years for depression. Prior I took Prozac and Zoloft with many side effects. I have a daughter with bipolar. It's worked great for bipolar and it works amazingly well for my depression and no side effects."

Catkilp (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2015

"Pmdd suffer for 15 years!! I stopped taking my antidepressants for Pmdd and so far this medication,has helped me tremendously all on its own. I advise anyone with depression to try this medication!"

Skyezone July 3, 2015

"I have went many yrs thinking I was not depressed. My symptoms were anxiety, mood swings and irritability and low energy. Other Drs tried antidepressant s and they always made me tired. Lamotrigine has truly shown me that it was depression. I have a much better mood and sense og calmness plus a little motivation boost!"

mamakitty3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2015

"I suffer from major depression and was a little skeptical when my doctor prescribed as I am not bipolar. It really works great and I have been on everything. There have been a few times that I did not refill my prescription right away and if I went without for a week I went into major depressive state. Within a day of going back on it, the depression subsided a great deal."

DianaAtlanta June 5, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have major depression and was prescribed Lamictal along with the Abilify and Wellbutrin that I was already taking. I was surprised because Lamictal is usually given to bipolar people and I'm absolutely not bipolar, but it has really helped me. The only side effect I noticed is a tendency to break out a little more (not THE RASH). No weight gain (weight gain is an issue with so many other depression meds) and no other problems."

Hanna2273 May 30, 2015

"generic, inexpensive, the best medication i have ever taken...thank goodness for lamictal/lamotragine....zero side effects....normal stable mental life without deep depression and ruminations...wish i had this in my twenties...would have made life so much more enjoyable....the only drawback (is temporary) which is the slow titration...some anxiety, night sweats especially as dose is upped...taking 150 now which is pretty mild...at night...makes sleep perfect...no benzo's...another bad med imo....u can also take a little more lamictal to deal with any serious anxiety stress episode...i don't understand why this is not first line... and as far as SSRI's....for most people a big mistake to go down this road in my opinion and experience."

whatsup1234 February 28, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications."

notfine October 1, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself."

Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far so good. I still get bad days, but there's nothing that's going to change that."

ofmemphishorizons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2014

"The only treatment that has worked exceptionally well, with minimal side effects. Major benefits are: substantial improved mood, decrease in mood fluctuation, removed any suicide idealation, improved temper. Dramatic overall improvement in quality of life. Side effects: some drowsiness. Take at night."

C10fj (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014