User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Review Summary

9.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"This medication saved my life at a time when I was severely suicidal. I finally feel "normal" after 5 years battling MDD and GAD. Tired citalopram, vibryd, Zoloft, Effexor, Xanax and some others I can't remember. Tried holistic and homeopathic remedies. I just kept getting worse and worse. I have no side effects, my depression and anxiety is completely manageable and I feel like I have my life back."

Katy G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

"I've taken lamictal for many years for depression. Prior I took Prozac and Zoloft with many side effects. I have a daughter with bipolar. It's worked great for bipolar and it works amazingly well for my depression and no side effects."

Catkilp (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2015

"Pmdd suffer for 15 years!! I stopped taking my antidepressants for Pmdd and so far this medication,has helped me tremendously all on its own. I advise anyone with depression to try this medication!"

Skyezone July 3, 2015

"I have went many yrs thinking I was not depressed. My symptoms were anxiety, mood swings and irritability and low energy. Other Drs tried antidepressant s and they always made me tired. Lamotrigine has truly shown me that it was depression. I have a much better mood and sense og calmness plus a little motivation boost!"

mamakitty3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2015

"I suffer from major depression and was a little skeptical when my doctor prescribed as I am not bipolar. It really works great and I have been on everything. There have been a few times that I did not refill my prescription right away and if I went without for a week I went into major depressive state. Within a day of going back on it, the depression subsided a great deal."

DianaAtlanta June 5, 2015

"I have major depression and was prescribed Lamictal along with the Abilify and Wellbutrin that I was already taking. I was surprised because Lamictal is usually given to bipolar people and I'm absolutely not bipolar, but it has really helped me. The only side effect I noticed is a tendency to break out a little more (not THE RASH). No weight gain (weight gain is an issue with so many other depression meds) and no other problems."

Hanna2273 May 30, 2015

"generic, inexpensive, the best medication i have ever taken...thank goodness for lamictal/lamotragine....zero side effects....normal stable mental life without deep depression and ruminations...wish i had this in my twenties...would have made life so much more enjoyable....the only drawback (is temporary) which is the slow titration...some anxiety, night sweats especially as dose is upped...taking 150 now which is pretty mild...at night...makes sleep perfect...no benzo's...another bad med imo....u can also take a little more lamictal to deal with any serious anxiety stress episode...i don't understand why this is not first line... and as far as SSRI's....for most people a big mistake to go down this road in my opinion and experience."

whatsup1234 February 28, 2015

"I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications."

notfine October 1, 2014

"Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself."

Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far so good. I still get bad days, but there's nothing that's going to change that."

ofmemphishorizons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2014

"The only treatment that has worked exceptionally well, with minimal side effects. Major benefits are: substantial improved mood, decrease in mood fluctuation, removed any suicide idealation, improved temper. Dramatic overall improvement in quality of life. Side effects: some drowsiness. Take at night."

C10fj (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014

"Lamictal along with Abilify has been a lifesaver for me. No antidepressant would work for me and I was feeling hopeless. I started taking Abilify and felt a little better. Once my doctor added Lamictal, I was back to my old self. I most note that you have to titrate up on the medicine no sooner than every 2 weeks. Once I hit the 100mg mark I started to feel better."

Guy21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2014

"Really helps out, puts you in a Normal mood and keeps you steady. No side effects . Does a great job"

Abesjk77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2014

"Best depression relief. Tried many others and many cocktails. This is by far the best. Side effects are livable."

ShortBus163 December 4, 2013

"If you suffer from depression this might be a medicine to take. It very helpful in controlling your symptoms. I've had depression symptoms for a while but never did a thing about it. I finally did through my primary doctor refer pain management & they refer me 2 see a psychologist."

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2013

"I really like it. I never had bipolar disorder, which I know that's what lamotrigine is primarily for, but it really helped me with depression and there were no side effects at all. It's helped me relax and enjoy life more. I'd highly recommend it."

jsecrest (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This has been my savior, no longer flying off the handle at people, and my children not being afraid of me. I take this for several things migriane, anxiety, depression. I use this along with Zoloft, and amitriptyline for sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression