User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Review Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"generic, inexpensive, the best medication i have ever taken...thank goodness for lamictal/lamotragine....zero side effects....normal stable mental life without deep depression and ruminations...wish i had this in my twenties...would have made life so much more enjoyable....the only drawback (is temporary) which is the slow titration...some anxiety, night sweats especially as dose is upped...taking 150 now which is pretty mild...at night...makes sleep perfect...no benzo's...another bad med imo....u can also take a little more lamictal to deal with any serious anxiety stress episode...i don't understand why this is not first line... and as far as SSRI's....for most people a big mistake to go down this road in my opinion and experience."

whatsup1234 February 28, 2015

"I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications."

notfine October 1, 2014

"Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself."

Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2014

"So far so good. I still get bad days, but there's nothing that's going to change that."

ofmemphishorizons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2014

"The only treatment that has worked exceptionally well, with minimal side effects. Major benefits are: substantial improved mood, decrease in mood fluctuation, removed any suicide idealation, improved temper. Dramatic overall improvement in quality of life. Side effects: some drowsiness. Take at night."

C10fj (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014

"Lamictal along with Abilify has been a lifesaver for me. No antidepressant would work for me and I was feeling hopeless. I started taking Abilify and felt a little better. Once my doctor added Lamictal, I was back to my old self. I most note that you have to titrate up on the medicine no sooner than every 2 weeks. Once I hit the 100mg mark I started to feel better."

Guy21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2014

"Really helps out, puts you in a Normal mood and keeps you steady. No side effects . Does a great job"

Abesjk77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2014

"Best depression relief. Tried many others and many cocktails. This is by far the best. Side effects are livable."

ShortBus163 December 4, 2013

"If you suffer from depression this might be a medicine to take. It very helpful in controlling your symptoms. I've had depression symptoms for a while but never did a thing about it. I finally did through my primary doctor refer pain management & they refer me 2 see a psychologist."

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2013

"I really like it. I never had bipolar disorder, which I know that's what lamotrigine is primarily for, but it really helped me with depression and there were no side effects at all. It's helped me relax and enjoy life more. I'd highly recommend it."

jsecrest (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2013

"This has been my savior, no longer flying off the handle at people, and my children not being afraid of me. I take this for several things migriane, anxiety, depression. I use this along with Zoloft, and amitriptyline for sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2012