User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was the first medication I tried after being diagnosed with bi-polar dissorder. at first I started at 25mg and it worked for a few weeks after the initial week of pure headaches and drowsiness. Soon after though it became ineffective and my anxiety levels progressed. It seemed like because my body relied on the drug I didn't know how to deal with my swings without them so I felt like my swings were worse. Then we kept getting higher and it worked but kept stopping until I got to 200mg one in the morning one a little later. We did this so when the half life wore off I could take it again, and so far this has been amazing. My swings are calm and I feel genuine happiness aside from my anxiety (which I am trying different meds for) I'm great"

kimilaughsalot (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For years I have been misdiagnosed. I have been on Cymbalta, Seroquel, Celexa, Xanax, Olanzaprine, Vyvanse, and many other drugs I can't remember the names of. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After multiple medications my doctor put me on Lamictal. At 25mg I could tell that I was feeling better but I was still experiencing depression and hypomania. After two weeks I increased to 50mg and started to notice a big difference. My moods were more stable and I could function normally. Although lethargy is still a problem but nothing coffee can't cure! Now I'm on 100mg and although I'm still tired, I feel much better. This has saved my life and my relationships!!"

Twaldroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. I am 25, a sober alcoholic (2 years) and diagnosed with MDNOS. I would love to get a real diagnosis - bipolar is as close as they've come, BPD is my personal view. Lamictal seriously changed my life. It leveled me out so that I could live my life and not have terrible bouts of sobbing in the closet wishing to die and screaming at people at the same time. I was still not super happy, so we added Lexapro, which helped a lot and Celexa later (instead of Lexapro), which helped more. Really want to switch to Wellbutrin XL now because I have no sex drive which is detrimental to my relationship, plus I'm late for work pretty much every day and could sleep until 1PM. But I will never go off Lamictal, serious life saver."

Jenny476 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm bipolar with mania. Also, I've been a addict for 25 years (self medicating my mania). I hated all the mood stabilizers I've ever tried, but would always eventually go back to using. Anyone that has lived in a constant manic state of mind knows how hard it is. After many many years of trying to get clean I reluctantly gave Lamictal a try. It has literally saved my life. It has totally balanced my crazy brain. My thoughts are not a 1000 miles an hour, I can actually sleep and eat normal and most importantly I no longer self medicate by using drugs and alcohol. My wife can write a book of what this medication has done for me and our family."

Jeffwhit May 5, 2015

"Lamotrigine is good medicine. I have bipolar 2. Evening dosages messed with my sleep, so I take one 300 mg dose every morning with breakfast. Now I smile more. Life is brighter, and so is my outlook and attitude. Only side effect is occasional mild headache, but still worth the price of admission. Very grateful for this medicine."

Jay-man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression. I haven't felt helpless or hopeless since starting the medication. I take the maximum dosage of 200mg twice per day."

chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have mercury-poisoning induced Bipolar II and took Lamictal. It made me feel great until I ended up in the hospital with erythema multiforme covering my whole body and aseptic meningitis. I was very disappointed because I was starting to feel really good on it. Andy Cutler Protocol has been the best treatment for me thus far, but I really wanted something to eliminate the depressive episodes (my manic ones are mild) while I get all the mercury out."

Hatter123 April 29, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I just started this med and I am on week 5 of the "starter" pack. I know it's a little soon to give my opinion BUT I want to give words of encouragement if you're struggling with your diagnosis and taking "that pill". I spent so much time in a deep, dark hole and I started getting "scared" that I wasn't going to see sunshine in my life again. I became desperate enough to call my Doc and agreed that I was "probably" bipolar (she saw it and I was in denial!) and I was willing to talk "meds". After the first two weeks I noticed that life was looking better and I felt like participating a little...by the end of week 4 I was able to have a conversation. I'm starting to see beautiful colors in my once bleak world!"

msmac93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine."

tenover April 23, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med."

glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems."

BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

"The Best I have ever tried. get calm , relax. think well, no more attacking attitude, not easy to explore as before I am taking 200 m/day. 100 2/times"

Enjoy Your Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

"I've been bi-polar since I've been 19 and am now 58. I've been taking lamictal 50mg daily for at least 20 years. I also was taking Wellbutrin 200mg daily for the depression which I just went off (tapered gradually over 6months) for the first time in 20 years. I am very stable and this I attribute to the lamictal. It's been a real life saver for me. I've been out of the hospital for 30 years. I am a successful nurse. I'm married and have 2 beautiful children who are now married. It's not easy. I never thought life would be normal back in my early diagnosis days. Don't give up. Take the meds but always tweak them with the doc if they don't feel right for you. Keep busy and find something do with with your life that gives you value. :)"

Kathy4hope (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2015

"Had a weird manic/mixed night so put myself up to 300mg from 150 while dropping Effexor from 300mg to 150. Went completely nuts and very confused (another manic/mixed night oddly enough, that felt about the exact same as the former) but now it's been 2 more weeks since I switched the dosages, so a month total, and I feel FAR more normal than I have in 7 years. Seems antidepressants really are the devil for bipolar disorder, which I never truly believed until now. That being said, I'm fairly certain I needed Effexor at one time. Don't know what I'd do without this med actually. If you need a Dr to request approval for your insurance coverage (remember Plan G if you're on the poor side), that will work instead of e.g. taking lithium."

Lacey Anne March 30, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability."

BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on lamictal for about a month now. I started on 50mg, 2nd week 75mg, and 3rd week 100mg at night. 1st 2 days in on 50 I felt borderline aggressive and very irritable. This evened out on the 3rd day and I began to feel very motivated and able to think clearly. I still experienced a few depressive episodes, but I hope to get onto an antidepressant once my dose is high enough. I've began taking 25mg in the AM to slowly move up to 100 in the AM on top of my 100 at night. Since I have, my memory, attention, and anxiety have worsened and other side effects have been sweating, raised heart rate, some trouble sleeping, and slight photo-sensitivity. Most of these have subsided as I adjust so overall it's best to stick with it for a bit."

mellatpal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions."

Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2015

"I was given lamictal for my bipolar disorder, and was on it for about 2 years. It gave me kidney problems, so I stopped taking it. However, now that I'm no longer on it, I have gained the ability to completely turn off my emotions like a switch whenever I choose to. I can turn them back on with some difficulty. At first, I liked being able to turn them off, but now it's becoming a curse. I don't mean that it helped me control my emotions; I mean I literally can turn them all off like a switch. I no longer care about anything at all, not even if I live or die. When I do this, I feel soulless, but cannot care that I am. It is truly horrible and is slowly ruining my life. I advise anyone to not take lamictal. It isn't worth it."

Indica K March 22, 2015

"Bipolar 2 (depression). Still early days, and I'm still on a low dose (50 mg) titrating up towards 200 mg, heading into week 4. At first I didn't notice any effect at all, just minor side effects, e.g. hand tremors, itching, waking up every night and not being able to go back to sleep. Looking back, I realize that after ~2 weeks I slowly started getting more done. After a year of not cleaning and laundry never getting done and dishes sitting for weeks, I started to make headway with those things. It didn't happen from one day to another, and it's still not easy, but things like that get done. That's the difference. Crossing my fingers that the progress continues!"

_Mikey_ March 10, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Not very helpful for the depression except at higher dose of 300+mg. at that dose I experienced severe hair loss: About a third of my hair fell out in about four months"

Lewisnancy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2015

"Took a year to work, I went up slowly by 25 mgs every month and then kind of stayed at 150mgs for 2 months and then add 50 mgs over the course of two months. I had orginally been titrated very quickly and it caused a mixed episode. The effectiveness was noticed gradually each month. I started to notice fewer and fewer bipolar symptoms and noticed more stability as I slowly went higher. At 200mgs I am almost symptom free and take it as a monotherapy. My cognitive awareness has improved since taking lamotrigine as well as my spelling and dyslexia."

invitroCannibal March 6, 2015

"this is best medication I have been on having bipolar. gives me confidence calmness no anxiety"

sneck (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Post concussion, leading to: explosive outbursts, withdrawal from activities I used to enjoy, addictive behaviors. I wasn't worried about the skin rash; the evidence is clear when slowly titrated up, the risk is low. I have experienced some cognitive sluggishness and muscle cramping at 150mg, but they are only annoyances. Drug saved my marriage and job, allowed me to become self-reflective (rather than self-hating) again. Also, I have experienced another (very welcome!) side effect: um, er, astonishing sexual pleasure. When I told my doc about this, he smiled, said a small percentage of patients will have this "side effect". I'm glad I have! So, the drug has worked well for me in many regards."

PDDr (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication literally saved my life. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder Type 1. I also experience mixed episodes and psychosis. I've tried countless antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics. Upon being recommended this anticonvulsant, I was skeptical. It took a while to titrate to the effective level. I am now on 300 mg of Lamictal every day. This medication gave me head aches at first, I also experienced weight loss. I still have my bad days but they're not as intense and frequent as they were before this medication. I now have the will to live again, thanks to lamictal."

Anonymous February 19, 2015