User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by sneck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

this is best medication I have been on having bipolar. gives me confidence calmness no anxiety

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2015 4:14 PM

Review by Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me.

February 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): 3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production.

February 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by valchicago:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety

February 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medicine was a life saver! When it was prescribed for me, my life turned around completely. It helped me control my irrational emotional reactions to things, temper, helped to bring my mood up from below while not causing hypomania, lost a little bit of weight on it. The only thing negative about it is when I first started it, it did make me quite anxious, but that attenuated over time. It also makes me tremor quite severely.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 12:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gave me horrendous headaches, insomnia and depression. Lack of energy. Also gained weight. Had to come off it after just 8 weeks.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 8:17 AM

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up.

January 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides.

December 27, 2014 3:36 AM

Review by Leo the Cat:

I was on antidepressants for many years. The other antidepressants made me hyper, anxious and and I had mood swings (sometimes several during a matter of hours). I am finally being treated by a good psych doc and he prescribed this great mood stabilizer for me. Now on 75 mgs once daily and I have been taking this for 7 weeks. I did have thinning hair; take multivitamin and Vitamin D and notice difference! I feel better, don't get angry at work, moods more even and am able to think clearly. I wake up at night with terrible sweats and don't know what that is about (will discuss with doc next week). I walk a lot and exercise is excellent for the body and mind. Wish I had this medication 30 years ago.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 6:50 AM

Review by Chelle202 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have Bipolar 2 & for years was misdiagnosed as being depressed. Fluoxetine made me hypomanic and when unmedicated I suffered prolonged episodes of depression. My most recent depressive episode had lasted 9 months & my levels of anger, aggression, irrational thoughts & behaviour and feelings of utter despair were very frightening. I began taking lamotrogine at 12.5mg dose and slowly titrated up over 10 weeks to 100mg. Even at the 50mg dose my mood was not lifting so reluctantly my psychiatrist introduced venlafaxine which I now take at 150mg. The lamotrogine has stopped my racing thoughts, incessant & excitable talking, my irritability & aggressive outbursts. I have the calm peace of mind & control of my emotions I never thought I would.

November 24, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by VanessaLa:

I've been on every medicine under the sun (it seems) to manage the hypomania / mania of Bipolar2. Within a few days of starting Lamictal (was on Tegretol) it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head. Is this the way "normal" people think? was one of the first things that struck me. I sleep like a log, have no irritability, almost no anger (other than what would be considered normal). I am able to focus and my creative, impulsive thoughts have decreased enough to be manageable. It's a God send as I would perennially be in a state of hypo mania, which sounds great, but I was physically and emotionally exhausted. My libido is markedly lower but I wonder if that is perhaps an effect of not being hypo manic. I take 20 mg for anxiety.

November 9, 2014 5:30 AM

Review by exoexo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine returned me to beautiful happy normality after years of antidepressants which made me worse in all regards. It only worked properly when I ditched the antidepressants.

November 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by AntoniaM:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM