User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by exoexo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine returned me to beautiful happy normality after years of antidepressants which made me worse in all regards. It only worked properly when I ditched the antidepressants.

November 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by AntoniaM:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM

Review by tigerliyl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've gone from 25, 50,75,100 and been on 200mg a day for 4 weeks now. I've been on lithium, Seroquel, Seroquel XR and could not handle the side effects of all. Lamictal has been magic. I can feel the change completely, I just feel like everything is a little 'slower' and that I'm not racing all the time. Bipolar 2. Best medication I have been on by far and can honestly say that this is one I plan to stick to. The side effects were small but there, dizziness when standing, headache and a little nausea for the first 6 weeks on and off but nothing compared to the emotions of bipolar.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been on Lamictal for almost 3 years now. I find that it keeps my moods stable and doesn't have the side effects I experienced on other medications. I was able to continue taking it while pregnant and breastfeeding.

September 7, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by stevie c:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): After being diagnosed as bipolar from an exceptional great doctor he spent almost 2 years trying different medications and combinations he found Lamictal worked for me. I am on a once a day dose 100mg and went from severe to working full time and enjoying life again. The worst part was losing my family as they don't understand it. It begins with a good doctor and being true to yourself to know what works.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by debbbiiieee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Worked wonders! Went off Depakote ER, lost the 50 lbs, went on Lamictal, also take 20 mg of Lexapro for depressive moods. Feel great!

August 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by crazyukman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started this medication after switching from quetiapine for Bipolar 2. I have so much more energy on this medication, I have lost weight and it has levelled out my mood considerably (my usual mood state is low, but I do cycle a couple of times a year). During initial titration I had trouble sleeping, dry mouth and digestive bleeding. But these have lessened over time and I use laxatives and synthetic saliva to ease the side effects. Overall I'm very happy with this medication.

August 8, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Tanasio:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Bipolar 2(now 65) with years of trying every mood disorder medicine around until Lamotrigine was recommended for Bipolar 2. Felt back in my 'own' skin again after 20 years of 'enduring' life. On 200mg twice daily takes a while to adjust dose so please be patient..it gave me back my life!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Catgeo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder about a year and a half ago. I know this is not the same as Bipolar, however we do experience similar mood swings with high intensities. Three years ago I started taking Wellbutrin. It really helped and I thought I found my "miracle" medicine. However, the efficacy wore off after about a year. I started feeling those desolate "lows" again, and became discouraged with my mind all over again. Once I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my psychiatrist suggested this medication. She was really good about easing me into the medication, starting with low doses and working me up from 25mg a day to 100mg a day. I am happy to report that I have not had an episodes of the horrific depression as a before!

July 23, 2014 3:09 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I'm 54 yrs old now & I've struggled most my life with severe depression and anxiety. Many issues in my life would be intense and just make me be so upset. Taking this Lamictal now for 2 months at 200mg. Has so much stabilized my mood. I've been so much more settle and handling situations more calmly . A Great medicine.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by lilollady (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken Lamotrigine for years. It has been effective but I have gradually had more side effects. These reviews have been very helpful as I thought some of my problems were created by the sun, humidity or allergy. Over time and sporadically I have had more nausea, chills, a lot of itching. If I scratch the itch at all the skin turns bright red and spreads along with itching. The itching is horrible. 3 days after 50mg increase I have all the above side effects plus sweats, chills and flu like symptoms. Have extremely strange dreams and nightmares. I didn't have these side effects when I first started the medicine. They started gradually and I think it is time to look for a different medicine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by asdfzxcv1234:

I am diagnosed bipolar II. I've been taking this for 3 years now. I increased the dosage up to 400mg at one point and became very dizzy and nauseated. Although, for the majority of the time, I took 150mg twice a day, but now the effectiveness is wearing down. I give this medicine a 7 because it definitely helped stabilize my moods and I became less irritable. I'm discontinuing my use this week to try lithium. I hear great things about lithium and am tired of the inconsistency I've been getting with lamotrigine as of late. (Also, the possibility of developing Steven Johnson's syndrome is totally not worth it and long-term use of lamotrigine doesn't make you immune to it of course!)

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Twahlstrand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been taking Lamictal for 4 years now it has helped me to manage my symptoms even though I have had to have a few adjustments to the medicines recently. With the increase so far I haven't had any episodes.

June 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by htas (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Great medicine, but if I missed a dose I would feel nauseaous. Once I ran out of it and missed 2 doses and got really sick with sweats, nausea, chills, and faintness. Don't ignore a rash. There is more than one type of rash. One type is extremely dangerous. Call MD or if you can't, go to ER. I did not get a rash, but would have done something about it immediatley...

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Glamdoll (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Diag: Bipolar 2 with predominant depression, plus panic disorder. I have been taking a very low starter dose (25mg) of Lamictal for about 3 weeks. I'm due to up the dose to 50mg now. Aside from my anti-panic emergency medicine and proprananol for blood pressure, I've never "upped" a dose of anything. I typically give up on a medicine for one reason or another (not effective, negative side effects, complicated dosing, cost, etc). Lamictal is a prescription that I intend to up my dose to 50mg though, and will do so gladly. People have commented on a more calm & "mellow" mood, a greater tolerance to stress and irritations, and being more pleasant to others. I'm on a slightly more even keel now & look forward to seeing what's next with increased dose

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by hopefulTony (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Started this medicine slowly 25 mg a day for two weeks, then went up to 50mg for 2 weeks. Still did not feel much better, went up too 100mg a day for 4 days feeling lethargic, the fifth day on it starting feeling a little better. But, I started getting itchy all over and started a very small rash on my side near my butt, My doc told me to stop it, cut the dose in half last night and then stop. He put me on Tegretol today, taking my first dose at dinner.

April 29, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

April 10, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by brenndo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been on and off this medication for nearly 10 years and it has been generally helpful most of the time. It takes a long time to titrate up, and the there is a very specific dose that is different for everybody, but once you get it right, the medication is remarkably helpful. In my experience, it all but eradicates Bipolar Depression and it reduces the severity of Bipolar Mania. Don't worry so much about the rash if you're a hypochondriac like me. "The Rash" most likely would only be limited to mucus membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. One thing I should add: over time, the medications seems to lose effectiveness and if you frequently discontinue, this effect is exacerbated. Eventually I had to add lithium.

April 8, 2014 1:31 PM