User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal worked at 25mg seems like every 6 weeks it's time to up dosage, currently at 250 and raise to 275 in week. Is there anything out there I can take with lamictal, I don't want to gain weight. Anti depressant is a med I take also"

divey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

"This medication saved my life. I'm not diagnosed officially with bipolar II--I just have a tendency to have pretty bad mood swings. My psychiatrist put me on lamictal a LONG time ago but for whatever reason I never took it. Finally in 2012 I decided to give it a shot and it turned my entire life around. I used to blow up about the most irrational things. My family was afraid to confront me with problems because they knew that I would blow everything out of proportion. Since starting on this medication I am so cool, calm, and collected. Nothing really rattles me. I am able to see life clearly. I get along with everyone. It's all thanks to lamictal."

kjm626 July 16, 2015

"I have been off and on Lamictal sense i was 15 years old (I am 22 years old now) I have never had a problem with it even going through 2 pregnancies. Very happy with it."

Lexic313 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Had severe depression..anxiety. .and elevated mood swings for years.just started meds in my early 50s. ..Lexapro..gradual doses..at first began to notice results in all 3 areas..but extremely sleepy no matter what time i took it...it seemed to level off at about 50% effectiveness...than slowly decreased in its effectiveness. .went on Lamo...more energy..but mood swings came back..no patience or tolerance again, forgetfulness...and anxiety. ..rambling thoughts in my head continually. ..I am returning back to my original prognosis. ..didn't find it to be of help at all....up to 200mg...really don't want to keep experimenting...not sure of next step. .."

over this (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am so glad I was prescribed Lamitcal two months ago after struggling with bipolar disorder for the majority of my life. I had been getting progressively worse over the years with manic cycling frequently to the point I couldn't function. I was very skeptical numerous medications over the years. I thought nothing would help and within three weeks my life completely turned around. The constant edge is gone, I'm calm, thinking clearing and I feel in control. I am so grateful this works for me, hope it works for you."

LJDW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"I got diagnosed with bipolar, this year in the month of may. At first I talked to a counselor who referred me to a nurse practioner/ psychologist. After telling them my feelings and life experiences they definetly said I was bipolar when I met with the psychologist. She gave me medication the first day. I started off taking just 25 mg then after 2weeks 50 then after I finished that 100 then after that 200. When I first started taking the small doses . I didn't see any changes in my behavior and that made me very hopeless and angry and I feel like nothing could help me. But once she uped my dose I feel like a human again. When I tell you I feel good I fell so good that I could fly with a kite and the birds. I feel like my old self again."

Lovehatething (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Deeply depressed for 7 months after a manic period of 7 months. Would come home from work and just go to bed and stay there for 14 hours until it was time to go to work again. Taking Bupropion in the AM without effect in increasing doses for all 7 months. After titrating up the Lamictal through the increasing doses as required, the fog lifted 3 days after I started on the 200mg dose. Thank you modern medicine"

ThisIsReal June 30, 2015

"I've suffered from ADHD, Bipolar 2 with major depression and anxiety for years. I have to say I've found the right combination to give me some stability. I started with respidol 2 mg 2x a day, Citalopram 20 mg a day, lorazapam 0.5mg a day & 10 mg 2x a day of adderal. While I should say that the medication worked well for my depression and psychosis. I had to stop taking respidol because I gained 20 lbs in the first 4 months of taking it. It made me sleepy , no motivation whatsoever. So we repalaced it with lamictal 25 mg2x @2 & 9pm, adderall 20 MG.1x. @6am, Citalopram 40 MG 1x@9am, lorazapam 0.5 2x@1 & 6pm. So no medication takes away 4rm the other. Taking adderal & lamictal together will decrease adderall effectiveness."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed bipolar II a little over 4 years ago. I was manic for a long time, I'm talking 2 years. With episodes of extreme depression. I wouldn't take my medications and ended up in and out of several mental health centers at several hospitals, well over 10 hospitalizations. I was a reckless mess. I can't even remember a lot of that time period. I was losing everything along with my mind- I was gone without a doubt. I saw this Dr yet can't remember his name, while in the hospital and he was so nice and didn't want to sedate me like I had been in the past. He put me on lamictal for the first time. This was 3 years ago. It saved my life. Works within the first week. Seriously the best mood stabilizer ever."

Italygurl June 28, 2015

"I was prescribed with lamictal about 3 months ago, and I do have to say that I have had a very positive experience with stabilizing my mood swings. Within the first month of me taking it, I have lost 10 pounds and I do think it was a factor in my sudden weight loss. I do wish that it did help a bit more with my anxiety but that wasn't my main issue when I decided to see a doctor. Other than the anxiety, lamictal is fantastic. I do recommend this product for BDP and I hope it helps you."

Insomniacgal June 26, 2015

"I have just been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I have been on antidepressants for 23 years and as I got older the drugs didn't work as well. I suffer from depression panic attacks severe anxiety and phobias and erratic mood swings changing daily even hourly. So now I am on 300mg effexor, valium and have just started in increments of 25mg of lamotrigine. Before this I took epilim which was great but within 2 weeks had a rash everywhere. Now I am up to 75mg of lamotrigine and I have headaches tiredness sleeping up to 15 hours plus diarrhea, sick, depression aggression anxiety the list goes on. Its been 6 weeks and I am loosing it.... my mental health team is useless. Will this get better???"

pynkpanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2015

"I have been on Lamictal (lamotrigine is the generic I take) for 5 years and I take 400mg a day for bipolar 2. It has changed my life. I rarely even take naps anymore and before Lamictal I would stay in bed. The trick to any medication is to take it the same time everyday. It took less than a week for my husband and I to notice a significant change in my personality. I have accepted that I will be on this for the rest of my life and that's fine because LAMICTAL GAVE ME MY LIFE BACK!!!"

Sweet Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on this drug for 4 weeks I notice very subtle changes. I've titrated up 25mg a week every week and I'm currently taking 125 mg. I still am probably 3 weeks away for full effects but I am noticing some good things. I no longer think about killing myself all day and I have less anxiety than I did four weeks ago. I feel optimistic that better days are ahead. I also take ativan for anxiety but will likely discontinue once I'm at the key mg amount which I believe is 200."

HMD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is the best mood stabilizer I have been on!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

"Really took a solid six months to work it made me drowsy during the day. I started taking it at night and it really took off my depression is gone and I sleep better. Taking it at night made a huge difference for some reason. I still have mood swings but my wife says they are much more in the normal range. I wish I would have found this pill when I was 15 my life would have been better and easier. I would recommend this drug to anyone and experimenting with different time of day if it's not initially working."

Trace4654 June 8, 2015

"First let me say thank you to all who have posted. I have been hoping to find a forum like this. Having suffered from depression and rapid mood swings (hypo mania) for more than 37 years it is a relief and very validating to hear other people's experiences if even if all of them are not applicable to mine . I experienced a severe depression with a suicide attempt 36 years ago. Since then a variety of medications have treated my depression quite well. I also found a loving husband and have a job I really like. Those external things can make a big difference too. I started lamictal 15 years ago and it helped take away the rapid mood swings & lessened some of the stronger depressive moods.Thanks to all for sharing. Now I don't feel as alone"

Ellie 1910 June 3, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have Bipolar II, with gradioise mania and severe depression. After about a month of taking Lamictil, my moods stabilized dramatically. At one point, I supplemented with Abilify, but have recently been able to stop taking and now rely on Lamictil solely. I attribute Lamictil to saving my marriage and career; it scares me to think about how my life would be without it!"

GingerQuackle May 31, 2015

"I went through years suffering depression and PTSD nothing worked I've been through so many antidepressants and mood stabilisers that I've lost count . When my psychiatrist suggested I may have bipolar 2 she started me on Lamotragine I was hesitant I had a phobia of medications by this stage but I took a leap of faith and started lantrogine titraiting up 25 mg every 2 weeks with one sequel of 25mg at night because I was so sensitive too medications . After a few months I'm now on 125 mg of lantrogine a day and 25 serquel a night . I can't thank this medication enough. I feel clear no foggy ness my moods are stable I'm less impulsive I'm sleeping perfectly and thinking rationally and my anxiety is nearly non exisitent ."

Nick76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

"This Pill saved my life,business,relationship. I a 24 years old and about 3 months ago I was diganosed with Bii Polar I stated at 25mg a day it got raised to 50 and now 200mg. I take clonazepam for my anxiety. I see things so clearly and with a positive outlook. My doctor saved me."

Sherv May 25, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was the first medication I tried after being diagnosed with bi-polar dissorder. at first I started at 25mg and it worked for a few weeks after the initial week of pure headaches and drowsiness. Soon after though it became ineffective and my anxiety levels progressed. It seemed like because my body relied on the drug I didn't know how to deal with my swings without them so I felt like my swings were worse. Then we kept getting higher and it worked but kept stopping until I got to 200mg one in the morning one a little later. We did this so when the half life wore off I could take it again, and so far this has been amazing. My swings are calm and I feel genuine happiness aside from my anxiety (which I am trying different meds for) I'm great"

kimilaughsalot (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For years I have been misdiagnosed. I have been on Cymbalta, Seroquel, Celexa, Xanax, Olanzaprine, Vyvanse, and many other drugs I can't remember the names of. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After multiple medications my doctor put me on Lamictal. At 25mg I could tell that I was feeling better but I was still experiencing depression and hypomania. After two weeks I increased to 50mg and started to notice a big difference. My moods were more stable and I could function normally. Although lethargy is still a problem but nothing coffee can't cure! Now I'm on 100mg and although I'm still tired, I feel much better. This has saved my life and my relationships!!"

Twaldroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. I am 25, a sober alcoholic (2 years) and diagnosed with MDNOS. I would love to get a real diagnosis - bipolar is as close as they've come, BPD is my personal view. Lamictal seriously changed my life. It leveled me out so that I could live my life and not have terrible bouts of sobbing in the closet wishing to die and screaming at people at the same time. I was still not super happy, so we added Lexapro, which helped a lot and Celexa later (instead of Lexapro), which helped more. Really want to switch to Wellbutrin XL now because I have no sex drive which is detrimental to my relationship, plus I'm late for work pretty much every day and could sleep until 1PM. But I will never go off Lamictal, serious life saver."

Jenny476 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm bipolar with mania. Also, I've been a addict for 25 years (self medicating my mania). I hated all the mood stabilizers I've ever tried, but would always eventually go back to using. Anyone that has lived in a constant manic state of mind knows how hard it is. After many many years of trying to get clean I reluctantly gave Lamictal a try. It has literally saved my life. It has totally balanced my crazy brain. My thoughts are not a 1000 miles an hour, I can actually sleep and eat normal and most importantly I no longer self medicate by using drugs and alcohol. My wife can write a book of what this medication has done for me and our family."

Jeffwhit May 5, 2015

"Lamotrigine is good medicine. I have bipolar 2. Evening dosages messed with my sleep, so I take one 300 mg dose every morning with breakfast. Now I smile more. Life is brighter, and so is my outlook and attitude. Only side effect is occasional mild headache, but still worth the price of admission. Very grateful for this medicine."

Jay-man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015