User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Lamotrigine is an excellent medication for Bipolar II. It helps to even out your mood, but what I found most definitely is helping the depression. Sure it takes a long time to establish a "sweet spot dose" but it's worth the wait. The only troublesome side effect I have had is vision issues, primarily blurred vision -- not debilitating but irritating, yes."

Anonymous February 5, 2016

"I'm very grateful my psych prescribed lamictal serquel for me. After 20 yrs battling severe mental illness (now diagnosed as bipolar type II) without using medication, I decided to give it a proper chance. A suicidal episode brought me to the clinic, I was properly diagnosed & started meds. It took 3 mths to stabilise my mood by slowing increasing dosage. I've been given my life back!! My quality of life is better than it has ever been in the last 20 yrs, since the onset of my mood disorder. For anyone living w bipolar or a mood disorder, I encourage finding the right med regime, self-education, CBT or ACT & mindfulness, healthy diet & excercise. These lifelong illnesses can be effectively managed just like diabetes - there is a way."

featheredfriend (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've take so many medications throughout the years. There was always something I didn't like. I always felt off with every medication. I found out about St John's Wort and it CHANGED MY LIFE! ZERO SIDE EFFECTS! If you're wondering about medications please give St John's wort a try! I feel like me, but a BETTER me! Not a "medicated" me"

Meagan6509 January 25, 2016

"I switched from Depakote to Lamictal after my first hospital stay. I'm currently taking 400mg lamictal and 75mg of Effexor Xr and I feel the most normal I have felt in my entire life. This drug has enabled me to go back to being the awesome person I always knew I could be. Without my manic and depressive states, I am able to concentrate on my studies for the first time in my life and I've never felt better. The difference is night and day."

anon_468642157 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have Bi Polar Disorder and had so far tried 4 or 5 combinations of mood stabilisers without success. Started on Lamotragine on a small dose and increased up to 100mg twice a day and felt good for a month. Fell then into a low and increased to 150mg twice a day and this has really helped. I recommend these to anyone who suffers with Bi Polar lows often"

DashingBrian January 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been bipolar for 20 years. I'm a scientist, when I'm working. Lithium has always been helpful but is not so great for depression though it does help if you take it a while. I finally started lamotrigine about a month ago. Lots of friends and professionals I know and trust said I should. I was skeptical since drugs tend to be bad news. After just a month (I titrated up quickly, so I've been on 100 for 2 weeks. probably best not do that there's a fatal skin disease you can get) my low level depression feels better. I'd say it's genuinely beneficial for bipolar depression. A little dizziness but not so bad, and it fades. My friends say there's no evidence that more than 100mg or 150 helps, but it could increase side effects. 100 is good"

sulcus1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have always been moody. Sometimes more than other times. My menstrual cycle, children, jobs, school, work, driving, husband, and everything else not mentioned made me mad for no reason. I hated the way I felt when I responded negatively but couldn't do better. This medicine allows me to finally be somewhat normal. I am excited about all the things go above now. They are full. Like I once had hoped"

Lori31yrs January 15, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have several people in my family who has bipolar disorder but did not like the fact that my depression and manic symptoms were results of this. While I was in the military they tried numerous medications, from clonazepam and celexa, to trazodone and effexor. Finally one of my Doctors decided to try me on lamotrigine and see how it works. I must tell you quite honestly that this is one of the best medications I have ever tried to combat my bipolar disorder. During the entire time I was being treated for this I had to deal with an injury I had during the war. The military's option was to dope me up to my eyeballs with opiates, which unsurprisingly made my mood unbelievably euphoric constantly."

Beaker82 January 2, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "On it for 6 years 200mg twice a day. This was a life-changing drug for me I also take Ritalin which has been working for the last 2 years. The lamictal really makes me feel like I have a repaired foundation in my personality. The Ritalin has added to my concentration and keeps me calm and even keeled. I had tried many other medications from my psychiatrist that worked for a short time, but nothing has been as long lasting as these 2 medications. One of the best reasons I have for knowing that they are doing their job is.. most people who know me such as friends , family and fiance would like to give my doctor a great big kiss.."

Surfcrab (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I learned to live happy in a depressive low. Lamictal, or lomotrogene messed that up. I'm very conscious of my emotions as a lot of people who have bipolar and choose not to take medication. So I know my aggression triggers, I know my anger sometimes comes on and I just want to argue. I know when I am manic. I know when I am sad and having suicidal thoughts. That 10 years no mood stabilizers, depressed the whole time but able to manage it as the disease This drug now it could have been the combo of lomotrugene and clonazepam. My brain began to fight itself I turned into a destructive manic with into a week I was trying to leave my gf and child, for a past ex delusional thoughts she was still in love with me. "

moosejay December 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have taken Lamictal for 12 years. I was taking 150mgs, now 75mg daily. I have not been manic the entire 12 years, and that is what I wanted to prevent. I still feel sad and scared sometimes but not manic. I am an introvert and like to have a lot of alone time to read, work on the computer, etc. so it's not going to make you an extrovert if you really aren't one. I have medical insurance that helps pay for the brand name, since the generic doesn't work for me. I ended up in the hospital on the generic. I will never stop taking Lamictal, because I don't ever want to not be in control of myself."

Larry6521 December 22, 2015

"So far I"

Pheonix_swed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

"I have had SI on and off since I could remember. This changed my life. I've only had a suicidal thought once or twice in the last 8 months of treatment. I've had a lot of stressful situations pop up during this time and I am thrilled with how well I was able to manage. Only on 100mg once daily was with 60mg duloxetine and 150 bupropion. I wish I didn't waste all these years struggling. Why wasn't this in my life 15 years ago?"

Swampcat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2015

"I have had Bipolar 2 for seven years,had been on serequel and lithium. I'm still on seroquel and have just started taking Lamotrigine,the change in mood was amazing. I asked to change my shrink and he was a great help. I do feel 100 times better."

maxwell63 December 19, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was on lamictal for about 5 months. Knocked out the hypomania but did nothing for my depression; it made me feel completely numb which was worse than being depressed/in pain. Also made me horribly nauseous for the entire time I was on it."

Invisiblecreeper December 19, 2015

"This drug saved my life. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 1 - mixed episodes 2 years ago and was put in this medicine, it was tricky finding the right dose but I stuck with it because I noticed a difference from the start. I am at 200mg and take 20mg of Adderol for ADD. I have always been manic or depressive and i finally know what it feels like to feel normal."

What is crazy anyway? (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on this drug for a little over a month now (lowest dose) along with clonazapam, and trazodone for sleep (all low dose). Like others have said this has changed my life...it felt like I literally changed overnight for the better. I stil have small crying spells and get agitated, but mostly I'm happy. I feel I can talk to anyone now, have lots more confidence, and feel way more motivated. One thing too is that since I am motivated and keep myself, busy I don't overeat like I did when I was going through my major ups and downs. Like others have stated, talk therapy in conjunction with these meds helps tremendously. What also helps is having a good support group too :)"

Luvbugnorm December 4, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "It's a strange little med. You won't always notice it until you come around to a point where you should feel anxious, stressed or depressed and you don't. There isn't an "aha" moment until about 6 months down the road to a year. This is because I found for myself, that going up 25 mgs a month worked best. I had gone up fast as the prescribing recommendation but it seemed to fast for me. Currently at 200mgs, moving up to 300mgs, I've been on it for a year and a half with very good results."

Patient ZERO to One November 14, 2015

"I have dealt with depression in the past and prescribed Celexa and Lexapro. I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder/ Manic Depressive 4 years ago, and have since been on Lamotrigine. I am able to function and my mood swings are much easier to deal with. I'm not in bed all day when having a depression spell, and not absolutely batshit crazy when Manic. I also don't fly off the handle as quickly. I have a drug history, which does not help at all. I have been sober now for 14 years."

Birdstein November 13, 2015

"Amazing, if I feel down my doctor increases the dosage if I feel good he decreased the dosage. Now he is trying to minimize it because he doesn't like my body to get use to take meds. I'm taking 50mg/day. I recommend to increase and decrease the dosage at a slow pace."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2015

"Wow. That's all I can say about lamotrigine. I've battled bipolar 2 since the onset of 15 yrs of age. I'm 35 now. I was misdiagnosed several yrs back as ADHD. They prescribed adderall for over a year, which made me manic and I became addicted. Terrible experience. I waited 2 yrs and was terrified to take my therapists suggestion of trying lamotrigine to stabilize my mood after diagnosing me as bipolar. I started taking it 4 months ago after a major manic episode and I can't believe the difference. My anxiety and depression is gone and moods are stable. I keep waiting for the shoe to drop but I've been stable since starting it. A miracle I'll tell you! I had headaches the first couple months and heightened sex drive but now I feel normal."

Nzicc November 1, 2015

"I was prescribed different medications for issues I was experiencing after my Traumatic Brain Injury and then a murder/suicide involving my father and brother. I don't remember all the different medications I had tried, but I did test Lamotrigine 150 mg 2x- 50 mg 2x. This medication helped much more than anti-depressants alone, however it caused me to have anxiety and depression worse. It's somewhat of a catch 22. Now I just changed my bipolar medication to Seroquel and am doing so much better."

Jen82 October 31, 2015

"The beginning was horrible, it didn't work and I was miserable. Then we got to the right dose and life *finally* made sense for once. I have been happily functioning and holding my job and overall excelling at life for the 3ish years I have been on lamotrigine. It is seriously a life saver. It does take a significant amount of time to start seeing a difference, a few months at least. Also, any amount of alcohol makes me fall asleep almost immediately. But it's a small price to pay for sanity."

iowabee (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2015

"After 15 years of incorrect medication, the last 2 being a roulette of 12 different meds, my life is amazing. I take 175 mg plus a 159 mg Wellbutrin kicker. These coupled with 900 mg of Li each night (and 100 mg trazadone), I am allowed to be the wife, mother and teacher I knew I could be. I was an extremely rapid cycling Bipolar 2 (even daily swings) and for almost a year now, I am a normal person. I will also stress that CBT is just as important as the meds. Many people on this site having negative effects are on really high doses -maybe this is the problem? I get many side effects from all meds and now they are minor. (FYI, Lamo works with the neurotransmitter glutamate and not sere, norep, or dope - BP is not depression)"

Me and BP October 28, 2015