User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"BP1, most recent episodes were manic and mixed. Taking lamotrigine for the last 11 months as mono-therapy (with klonopin PRN) after no meds for 15 years. Upping verrrrrry slowly, got up to 100mg about 4 months ago and it's been mostly smooth sailing since then. Kpin is down to .25mg, 2-3x/month so I know the lamictal is helping my anxiety and insomnia. OCD is WAY improved as well. Oh, and I was really afraid of the weight gain with mood stabilizers but at my yearly checkup last week I found out that I'd LOST 20 lbs over the last year without even realizing it."

indignantgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal, I feel it has truly helped with ONLY my depression (why I rated a 10), and not with my mania. I actually feel a bit more inpatient with situations and anger grows stronger faster. I have also read that this medication can actually make mania worse."

AlyJ August 25, 2015

"I have Bipolar Disorder with rapid cycling, mixed states, but mostly depression and severe anxiety. After several years of trial and error I take the following: Seroquel XR 600mg at night, Klonopin 1mg 3 times daily, Adderall 40mg twice daily, Lamictal 200mg twice daily, and switched from Effexor XR 300mg daily to the new antidepressant Brintellix. I've had the Lamictal titrated up to 400mg a day for last 3 years. I don't think it does anything, good or bad. It's I've never noticed any effect of any kind. I keep taking it because I trust my doctor and it's cheap."

ericw381707 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 16, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "All I can say is that I am quite pleased with this--sure hope this drop foot that I have is not related--but I still think I'll keep it--too tired to face another hospitalization ;"

Winged August 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal rocks! Been on several different meds for bipolar and was beginning to feel hopeless. But doctor changed me over to lamictal and after two weeks I feel like a new and normal person! No more manias and only slight depression episodes rarely! Love it!!!"

Robindav August 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Currently, I'm prescribed to 100mg of Lamictal, 200mg of Zoloft, 10mg of Adderall IR, and 20mg of Adderall XR. I originally started on Lamictal at 25mg, and it had little affect on my mood stability. I believe it triggered a mixed state episode until I was prescribed 100mg. About two months in, it's been a lifesaver. My moods feel very stable, I am generally happy, and I am able to take care of myself with little resistance. I am also motivated to regularly run errands. (I do believe it may have made me slighty manic.) Prior to Lamictal, I was on 25mg of Abilify, and it was ineffective and made me very tired. I had poor hygiene, I was unable to interact with others or be in public places, and I had difficulty keeping up with housework"

RacingThoughts (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I take 80 mg of Geodon, 25 mg of Topiramate, 40 mg of Prozac, 50 mg of Trazadone, 200 mg of Lamictal, 100 mg of Vistaril, and Xanax as needed for anxiety. The Lamictal helps me the most out of any drug I have ever been prescribed. I was on 50 mg of Lamictal and went through a pretty rough depression, I felt catatonic and didn't care about anything - I felt desolate. I am now taking 200 mg and I feel so much better! I have more energy, I have a genuine smile, I feel like my old self again...or, pretty close anyway."

Jessicathelibrarian August 3, 2015

"Has worked well for many years"

calie August 1, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal worked at 25mg seems like every 6 weeks it's time to up dosage, currently at 250 and raise to 275 in week. Is there anything out there I can take with lamictal, I don't want to gain weight. Anti depressant is a med I take also"

divey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

"This medication saved my life. I'm not diagnosed officially with bipolar II--I just have a tendency to have pretty bad mood swings. My psychiatrist put me on lamictal a LONG time ago but for whatever reason I never took it. Finally in 2012 I decided to give it a shot and it turned my entire life around. I used to blow up about the most irrational things. My family was afraid to confront me with problems because they knew that I would blow everything out of proportion. Since starting on this medication I am so cool, calm, and collected. Nothing really rattles me. I am able to see life clearly. I get along with everyone. It's all thanks to lamictal."

kjm626 July 16, 2015

"I have been off and on Lamictal sense i was 15 years old (I am 22 years old now) I have never had a problem with it even going through 2 pregnancies. Very happy with it."

Lexic313 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Had severe depression..anxiety. .and elevated mood swings for years.just started meds in my early 50s. ..Lexapro..gradual doses..at first began to notice results in all 3 areas..but extremely sleepy no matter what time i took it...it seemed to level off at about 50% effectiveness...than slowly decreased in its effectiveness. .went on Lamo...more energy..but mood swings came back..no patience or tolerance again, forgetfulness...and anxiety. ..rambling thoughts in my head continually. ..I am returning back to my original prognosis. ..didn't find it to be of help at all....up to 200mg...really don't want to keep experimenting...not sure of next step. .."

over this (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am so glad I was prescribed Lamitcal two months ago after struggling with bipolar disorder for the majority of my life. I had been getting progressively worse over the years with manic cycling frequently to the point I couldn't function. I was very skeptical numerous medications over the years. I thought nothing would help and within three weeks my life completely turned around. The constant edge is gone, I'm calm, thinking clearing and I feel in control. I am so grateful this works for me, hope it works for you."

LJDW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"I got diagnosed with bipolar, this year in the month of may. At first I talked to a counselor who referred me to a nurse practioner/ psychologist. After telling them my feelings and life experiences they definetly said I was bipolar when I met with the psychologist. She gave me medication the first day. I started off taking just 25 mg then after 2weeks 50 then after I finished that 100 then after that 200. When I first started taking the small doses . I didn't see any changes in my behavior and that made me very hopeless and angry and I feel like nothing could help me. But once she uped my dose I feel like a human again. When I tell you I feel good I fell so good that I could fly with a kite and the birds. I feel like my old self again."

Lovehatething (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Deeply depressed for 7 months after a manic period of 7 months. Would come home from work and just go to bed and stay there for 14 hours until it was time to go to work again. Taking Bupropion in the AM without effect in increasing doses for all 7 months. After titrating up the Lamictal through the increasing doses as required, the fog lifted 3 days after I started on the 200mg dose. Thank you modern medicine"

ThisIsReal June 30, 2015

"I've suffered from ADHD, Bipolar 2 with major depression and anxiety for years. I have to say I've found the right combination to give me some stability. I started with respidol 2 mg 2x a day, Citalopram 20 mg a day, lorazapam 0.5mg a day & 10 mg 2x a day of adderal. While I should say that the medication worked well for my depression and psychosis. I had to stop taking respidol because I gained 20 lbs in the first 4 months of taking it. It made me sleepy , no motivation whatsoever. So we repalaced it with lamictal 25 mg2x @2 & 9pm, adderall 20 MG.1x. @6am, Citalopram 40 MG 1x@9am, lorazapam 0.5 2x@1 & 6pm. So no medication takes away 4rm the other. Taking adderal & lamictal together will decrease adderall effectiveness."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed bipolar II a little over 4 years ago. I was manic for a long time, I'm talking 2 years. With episodes of extreme depression. I wouldn't take my medications and ended up in and out of several mental health centers at several hospitals, well over 10 hospitalizations. I was a reckless mess. I can't even remember a lot of that time period. I was losing everything along with my mind- I was gone without a doubt. I saw this Dr yet can't remember his name, while in the hospital and he was so nice and didn't want to sedate me like I had been in the past. He put me on lamictal for the first time. This was 3 years ago. It saved my life. Works within the first week. Seriously the best mood stabilizer ever."

Italygurl June 28, 2015

"I was prescribed with lamictal about 3 months ago, and I do have to say that I have had a very positive experience with stabilizing my mood swings. Within the first month of me taking it, I have lost 10 pounds and I do think it was a factor in my sudden weight loss. I do wish that it did help a bit more with my anxiety but that wasn't my main issue when I decided to see a doctor. Other than the anxiety, lamictal is fantastic. I do recommend this product for BDP and I hope it helps you."

Insomniacgal June 26, 2015

"I have just been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I have been on antidepressants for 23 years and as I got older the drugs didn't work as well. I suffer from depression panic attacks severe anxiety and phobias and erratic mood swings changing daily even hourly. So now I am on 300mg effexor, valium and have just started in increments of 25mg of lamotrigine. Before this I took epilim which was great but within 2 weeks had a rash everywhere. Now I am up to 75mg of lamotrigine and I have headaches tiredness sleeping up to 15 hours plus diarrhea, sick, depression aggression anxiety the list goes on. Its been 6 weeks and I am loosing it.... my mental health team is useless. Will this get better???"

pynkpanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2015

"I have been on Lamictal (lamotrigine is the generic I take) for 5 years and I take 400mg a day for bipolar 2. It has changed my life. I rarely even take naps anymore and before Lamictal I would stay in bed. The trick to any medication is to take it the same time everyday. It took less than a week for my husband and I to notice a significant change in my personality. I have accepted that I will be on this for the rest of my life and that's fine because LAMICTAL GAVE ME MY LIFE BACK!!!"

Sweet Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on this drug for 4 weeks I notice very subtle changes. I've titrated up 25mg a week every week and I'm currently taking 125 mg. I still am probably 3 weeks away for full effects but I am noticing some good things. I no longer think about killing myself all day and I have less anxiety than I did four weeks ago. I feel optimistic that better days are ahead. I also take ativan for anxiety but will likely discontinue once I'm at the key mg amount which I believe is 200."

HMD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is the best mood stabilizer I have been on!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

"Really took a solid six months to work it made me drowsy during the day. I started taking it at night and it really took off my depression is gone and I sleep better. Taking it at night made a huge difference for some reason. I still have mood swings but my wife says they are much more in the normal range. I wish I would have found this pill when I was 15 my life would have been better and easier. I would recommend this drug to anyone and experimenting with different time of day if it's not initially working."

Trace4654 June 8, 2015

"First let me say thank you to all who have posted. I have been hoping to find a forum like this. Having suffered from depression and rapid mood swings (hypo mania) for more than 37 years it is a relief and very validating to hear other people's experiences if even if all of them are not applicable to mine . I experienced a severe depression with a suicide attempt 36 years ago. Since then a variety of medications have treated my depression quite well. I also found a loving husband and have a job I really like. Those external things can make a big difference too. I started lamictal 15 years ago and it helped take away the rapid mood swings & lessened some of the stronger depressive moods.Thanks to all for sharing. Now I don't feel as alone"

Ellie 1910 June 3, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have Bipolar II, with gradioise mania and severe depression. After about a month of taking Lamictil, my moods stabilized dramatically. At one point, I supplemented with Abilify, but have recently been able to stop taking and now rely on Lamictil solely. I attribute Lamictil to saving my marriage and career; it scares me to think about how my life would be without it!"

GingerQuackle May 31, 2015