User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"After a Med cocktail of Xanax (for sudden anxiety attacks), Zoloft, Lithium, Klonopin (for everyday anxiety) & Wellbutrin, I still felt severely depressed & eventually suicidal. I went to my psychiatrist in extreme distress with a constant stream of tears. She sent me to an inpatient facility where they put me on Lamictal. Within 7 days, I felt a drastic difference; stable, focused, even bubbly (but not manic). I take 50 mg (25 in the AM; 25 in the PM). I am so thankful for this medicine!"

Mona Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

"Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 with my new psychiatrist last November. (Had 2 different hospital stays with same diagnosis, just didn't want to believe it.) started lamitcal at 50mg in November, and now I take 200mg daily and it's nice to feel like there's color in my world. Brought me out of a depressive episode and I've been very content with this medicine. Feels like it fits just for me after many trials and errors with antidepressants. Definitely feels like a veil has been lifted off me and the world even seems happier. I do have my off days , but they are just days and not weeks. I did have intense diarrhea when I started the 200mg and headaches but I don't notice any side effects at all now that I once had before. Very grateful."

Veevvv May 23, 2016

"Have been on Lamotrigine for 3 years at 125 mg per day. It has levelled out my moods dramatically. Really helps me to manage life. No noticeable side effects in that time."

Telecaster May 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

"This drug helps raise my mood slightly in the mornings. However, it also has side-effects of dizziness and headiness. This is especially true after two to six hours after you miss a dose."

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

"Since I'm on this medication, my bipolar 2 symptoms have disappeared and life became much easier for me. Since than, I live a much active and healthier life . I was diagnosed at the age of 57 years old...After years of problematics I finally look at life in a more positive way."

triple a May 13, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've abused alcohol for 12 years now. I just started taking lamictal the other day and instantly made feel so much better! I have not had any alcohol cravings either and I'm looking forward to the future. I'm so grateful."

MP1985 May 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

"Has anyone experienced dizzy spells from this medication? I started at 25mg last week & now I'm at 50mg. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Lamictal. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

"I'm bipolar and has taking lamictal 2,5 years right now. It is the best medicine i ever had. Before lamictal i was given lots of ssri medicine and neuroleptika who did that i was feeling worse and gave me 10 extra kg. When i changed medicine to lamictal it took looong time for me till it start working. Not feeling any side effects and i'm on 300 mg."

skinnypatrini (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2016

"I have been on various antidepressants and benzo's for 25 years due to depression (bipolar II) and anxiety. Lamictal has changed my life. The depression lifted and the anxiety went away. I dropped the Xanax and Prozac and feel unbelievably well on 300mg of just lamictal. I've felt this way for two years so far. I wish I had found it years ago. I do think that the Prozac and Xanax were causing anxiety/depression/exhaustion. I'm doing fantastic on the lamictal alone."

Upstater March 28, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I used to be on Seroquel for my bipolar 1. It basically ruined my high school education, making it almost impossible to wake up and stay awake in the mornings because it was physically painful to endure. Lamictal changed all of that and turned my life around. I have now been on lamictal for 4 years. I have experienced no negative side effects. I am now in college with a 3.5 GPA. My mood is now more controllable, but it doesn't drug me to the point where I am a zombie or a different person. I feel like I can still be extremely euphoric, which is something I don't want to give up. I do sometimes still feel very angry or depressed, but I am able to manage and contain it better than I used to. I highly recommend this to those with bipolar"

Forestfae March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "ok. Well. Im 30 years old was diagnosed bipolar when i was twelve. I've been on an extensive list of drugs that never worked. So at 15 i stopped taking anything over the counter and self medicated for years I am now comfortable with the idea I may be on something for the rest of my life and i feel this stuff is actually working for me. It may be because I'm older My brain( for the most part) has developed where its gonna stay.. Hormones are different etc. My only concern is how quickly your body adjusts to it and you have to keep increasing dosage. I hope we will get to an appropriate level quickly to maintain an even head.. But honestly feel this has made a significant difference for me.."

boogers1234 March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

"I am a creative artist and love what I do but suffering from severe depression has made it hard to create. Bipolar 2 was my diagnosis and with it came prescribed drugs such as Effexor, Abilify, and other antidepressants to try and cope. But, after 10 years of trial and error I found the perfect prescription, Lamotrigine, 100mg. My doctor recommended Abilify along with Lamotrigine. I was weaned off of Abilify and just continued Lamotrigine. Wow, did I notice a difference. I knew my cycles of depression pretty well, and I could feel them come. But, I never went into a deep spiral of depression ever since. I feel as if it is a life preserver in stormy water...I can stay afloat. It stabilizes my moods and keeps me focused on being creatIve."

Artisan March 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016