User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by tenover:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Review by glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 2:16 PM

Review by BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems.

April 9, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by Enjoy Your Life (taken for 2 to 5 years):

The Best I have ever tried. get calm , relax. think well, no more attacking attitude, not easy to explore as before I am taking 200 m/day. 100 2/times

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 8:14 PM

Review by BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability.

March 30, 2015 10:32 AM

Review by Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions.

March 22, 2015 8:39 PM

Review by _Mikey_:

Bipolar 2 (depression). Still early days, and I'm still on a low dose (50 mg) titrating up towards 200 mg, heading into week 4. At first I didn't notice any effect at all, just minor side effects, e.g. hand tremors, itching, waking up every night and not being able to go back to sleep. Looking back, I realize that after ~2 weeks I slowly started getting more done. After a year of not cleaning and laundry never getting done and dishes sitting for weeks, I started to make headway with those things. It didn't happen from one day to another, and it's still not easy, but things like that get done. That's the difference. Crossing my fingers that the progress continues!

March 10, 2015 6:12 AM

Review by Lewisnancy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Not very helpful for the depression except at higher dose of 300+mg. at that dose I experienced severe hair loss: About a third of my hair fell out in about four months

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 8:44 PM

Review by invitroCannibal:

Took a year to work, I went up slowly by 25 mgs every month and then kind of stayed at 150mgs for 2 months and then add 50 mgs over the course of two months. I had orginally been titrated very quickly and it caused a mixed episode. The effectiveness was noticed gradually each month. I started to notice fewer and fewer bipolar symptoms and noticed more stability as I slowly went higher. At 200mgs I am almost symptom free and take it as a monotherapy. My cognitive awareness has improved since taking lamotrigine as well as my spelling and dyslexia.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 12:26 AM

Review by sneck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

this is best medication I have been on having bipolar. gives me confidence calmness no anxiety

March 1, 2015 4:14 PM

Review by Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!

February 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me.

February 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): 3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production.

February 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by valchicago:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise.

February 12, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety

February 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Longtermbipolar:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): After years of antidepressant tablets that worked only to blank out my memory and let me survive, I went on to lamotragine six months ago. Suddenly and quickly I started to feel normal again. My long term memory has returned, and I take pleasure in music and nature again. I feel so much happier. On the negative side the fatigue became a problem but has reduced as I reduced my dose to get to optimal. Insomnia and vivid dreams have increased but I can deal with that. Also blurred vision and dizziness that is slowly disappearing. In short a miracle for bipolar 2. I also take Lexapro.

February 7, 2015 5:06 PM

Review by mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medicine was a life saver! When it was prescribed for me, my life turned around completely. It helped me control my irrational emotional reactions to things, temper, helped to bring my mood up from below while not causing hypomania, lost a little bit of weight on it. The only thing negative about it is when I first started it, it did make me quite anxious, but that attenuated over time. It also makes me tremor quite severely.

January 31, 2015 12:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gave me horrendous headaches, insomnia and depression. Lack of energy. Also gained weight. Had to come off it after just 8 weeks.

January 29, 2015 8:17 AM

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): It has saved my life. Literally.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides.

December 27, 2014 3:36 AM

Review by Leo the Cat:

I was on antidepressants for many years. The other antidepressants made me hyper, anxious and and I had mood swings (sometimes several during a matter of hours). I am finally being treated by a good psych doc and he prescribed this great mood stabilizer for me. Now on 75 mgs once daily and I have been taking this for 7 weeks. I did have thinning hair; take multivitamin and Vitamin D and notice difference! I feel better, don't get angry at work, moods more even and am able to think clearly. I wake up at night with terrible sweats and don't know what that is about (will discuss with doc next week). I walk a lot and exercise is excellent for the body and mind. Wish I had this medication 30 years ago.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 6:50 AM

Review by Chelle202 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have Bipolar 2 & for years was misdiagnosed as being depressed. Fluoxetine made me hypomanic and when unmedicated I suffered prolonged episodes of depression. My most recent depressive episode had lasted 9 months & my levels of anger, aggression, irrational thoughts & behaviour and feelings of utter despair were very frightening. I began taking lamotrogine at 12.5mg dose and slowly titrated up over 10 weeks to 100mg. Even at the 50mg dose my mood was not lifting so reluctantly my psychiatrist introduced venlafaxine which I now take at 150mg. The lamotrogine has stopped my racing thoughts, incessant & excitable talking, my irritability & aggressive outbursts. I have the calm peace of mind & control of my emotions I never thought I would.

November 24, 2014 9:12 PM