User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Chelle202 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have Bipolar 2 & for years was misdiagnosed as being depressed. Fluoxetine made me hypomanic and when unmedicated I suffered prolonged episodes of depression. My most recent depressive episode had lasted 9 months & my levels of anger, aggression, irrational thoughts & behaviour and feelings of utter despair were very frightening. I began taking lamotrogine at 12.5mg dose and slowly titrated up over 10 weeks to 100mg. Even at the 50mg dose my mood was not lifting so reluctantly my psychiatrist introduced venlafaxine which I now take at 150mg. The lamotrogine has stopped my racing thoughts, incessant & excitable talking, my irritability & aggressive outbursts. I have the calm peace of mind & control of my emotions I never thought I would.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by VanessaLa:

I've been on every medicine under the sun (it seems) to manage the hypomania / mania of Bipolar2. Within a few days of starting Lamictal (was on Tegretol) it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head. Is this the way "normal" people think? was one of the first things that struck me. I sleep like a log, have no irritability, almost no anger (other than what would be considered normal). I am able to focus and my creative, impulsive thoughts have decreased enough to be manageable. It's a God send as I would perennially be in a state of hypo mania, which sounds great, but I was physically and emotionally exhausted. My libido is markedly lower but I wonder if that is perhaps an effect of not being hypo manic. I take 20 mg for anxiety.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 5:30 AM

Review by exoexo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine returned me to beautiful happy normality after years of antidepressants which made me worse in all regards. It only worked properly when I ditched the antidepressants.

November 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by AntoniaM:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM

Review by tigerliyl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I've gone from 25, 50,75,100 and been on 200mg a day for 4 weeks now. I've been on lithium, Seroquel, Seroquel XR and could not handle the side effects of all. Lamictal has been magic. I can feel the change completely, I just feel like everything is a little 'slower' and that I'm not racing all the time. Bipolar 2. Best medication I have been on by far and can honestly say that this is one I plan to stick to. The side effects were small but there, dizziness when standing, headache and a little nausea for the first 6 weeks on and off but nothing compared to the emotions of bipolar.

September 15, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been on Lamictal for almost 3 years now. I find that it keeps my moods stable and doesn't have the side effects I experienced on other medications. I was able to continue taking it while pregnant and breastfeeding.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by stevie c:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): After being diagnosed as bipolar from an exceptional great doctor he spent almost 2 years trying different medications and combinations he found Lamictal worked for me. I am on a once a day dose 100mg and went from severe to working full time and enjoying life again. The worst part was losing my family as they don't understand it. It begins with a good doctor and being true to yourself to know what works.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by debbbiiieee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Worked wonders! Went off Depakote ER, lost the 50 lbs, went on Lamictal, also take 20 mg of Lexapro for depressive moods. Feel great!

August 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by crazyukman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started this medication after switching from quetiapine for Bipolar 2. I have so much more energy on this medication, I have lost weight and it has levelled out my mood considerably (my usual mood state is low, but I do cycle a couple of times a year). During initial titration I had trouble sleeping, dry mouth and digestive bleeding. But these have lessened over time and I use laxatives and synthetic saliva to ease the side effects. Overall I'm very happy with this medication.

August 8, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Tanasio:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Bipolar 2(now 65) with years of trying every mood disorder medicine around until Lamotrigine was recommended for Bipolar 2. Felt back in my 'own' skin again after 20 years of 'enduring' life. On 200mg twice daily takes a while to adjust dose so please be patient..it gave me back my life!

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Catgeo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder about a year and a half ago. I know this is not the same as Bipolar, however we do experience similar mood swings with high intensities. Three years ago I started taking Wellbutrin. It really helped and I thought I found my "miracle" medicine. However, the efficacy wore off after about a year. I started feeling those desolate "lows" again, and became discouraged with my mind all over again. Once I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my psychiatrist suggested this medication. She was really good about easing me into the medication, starting with low doses and working me up from 25mg a day to 100mg a day. I am happy to report that I have not had an episodes of the horrific depression as a before!

July 23, 2014 3:09 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I'm 54 yrs old now & I've struggled most my life with severe depression and anxiety. Many issues in my life would be intense and just make me be so upset. Taking this Lamictal now for 2 months at 200mg. Has so much stabilized my mood. I've been so much more settle and handling situations more calmly . A Great medicine.

June 27, 2014 7:40 PM