User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

"Has anyone experienced dizzy spells from this medication? I started at 25mg last week & now I'm at 50mg. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Lamictal. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

"I'm bipolar and has taking lamictal 2,5 years right now. It is the best medicine i ever had. Before lamictal i was given lots of ssri medicine and neuroleptika who did that i was feeling worse and gave me 10 extra kg. When i changed medicine to lamictal it took looong time for me till it start working. Not feeling any side effects and i'm on 300 mg."

skinnypatrini (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2016

"I have been on various antidepressants and benzo's for 25 years due to depression (bipolar II) and anxiety. Lamictal has changed my life. The depression lifted and the anxiety went away. I dropped the Xanax and Prozac and feel unbelievably well on 300mg of just lamictal. I've felt this way for two years so far. I wish I had found it years ago. I do think that the Prozac and Xanax were causing anxiety/depression/exhaustion. I'm doing fantastic on the lamictal alone."

Upstater March 28, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I used to be on Seroquel for my bipolar 1. It basically ruined my high school education, making it almost impossible to wake up and stay awake in the mornings because it was physically painful to endure. Lamictal changed all of that and turned my life around. I have now been on lamictal for 4 years. I have experienced no negative side effects. I am now in college with a 3.5 GPA. My mood is now more controllable, but it doesn't drug me to the point where I am a zombie or a different person. I feel like I can still be extremely euphoric, which is something I don't want to give up. I do sometimes still feel very angry or depressed, but I am able to manage and contain it better than I used to. I highly recommend this to those with bipolar"

Forestfae March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "ok. Well. Im 30 years old was diagnosed bipolar when i was twelve. I've been on an extensive list of drugs that never worked. So at 15 i stopped taking anything over the counter and self medicated for years I am now comfortable with the idea I may be on something for the rest of my life and i feel this stuff is actually working for me. It may be because I'm older My brain( for the most part) has developed where its gonna stay.. Hormones are different etc. My only concern is how quickly your body adjusts to it and you have to keep increasing dosage. I hope we will get to an appropriate level quickly to maintain an even head.. But honestly feel this has made a significant difference for me.."

boogers1234 March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

"I am a creative artist and love what I do but suffering from severe depression has made it hard to create. Bipolar 2 was my diagnosis and with it came prescribed drugs such as Effexor, Abilify, and other antidepressants to try and cope. But, after 10 years of trial and error I found the perfect prescription, Lamotrigine, 100mg. My doctor recommended Abilify along with Lamotrigine. I was weaned off of Abilify and just continued Lamotrigine. Wow, did I notice a difference. I knew my cycles of depression pretty well, and I could feel them come. But, I never went into a deep spiral of depression ever since. I feel as if it is a life preserver in stormy water...I can stay afloat. It stabilizes my moods and keeps me focused on being creatIve."

Artisan March 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

"I had taken many antidepressants and they never worked. I finally had such a severe depression I was debilitated and would cry for hours a day so I finally went to a Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Bipolar II and prescribed lamotrigine (generic lamictal) and within a month the severe depression had lifted and it's been gone ever since, that was 10 years ago. Of course I still have lows being bipolar but it is no where near what I had experienced prior to lamictal. My depression and bipolar is manageable with lamictal alone except when I get hypo manic and even then it's manageable without additional meds. It saved my life and I will take it forever."

Honeybee28 (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have recently started on Lamictal. I must say that I felt positive affects within 2 weeks. I am on a cocktail of medications to manage bipolar. Effexor Ce 150, Seroquel xr 200, Seroquel ir 25, Dothep 25 and now Lamictal 50. I haven't felt this stable for years. My psychiatrist would like to leave my medications as is for 12 months to give me some peace from the mood swings. Her goal then is to reduce the Effexor and seroquel. I can't wait for that day. But for now I am enjoying the stability."

Strawbz77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've suffered with undiagnosed bipolar 2 for almost 3 decades. For almost 20 years I was on various antidepressants that didn't work, and made my depression worsen. My primary doctor suggested I see a psychiatrist for my lingering depression. Due to the stigma of mental illness, I put it off, but finally saw a psychiatrist. She diagnosed my condition, and I started a low, 25 mg dosage of lamotrigine. My dosage will slowly increase over the next 6 months to a year. The first time I entered the psychiatrist's office, I was filled with melancholy and regret. My first follow up visit to the psychiatrist, I was filled with hope and resilience."

Kramer and Camaro March 2, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication saved my life! I had severe depression since the age of 12. I've been on Cymbalta, Celexa, Zoloft etc. Nothing worked. Was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. On several occasions tried to take my own life. The last time I nearly succeeded, was on a 72 hour hold. The Dr. proscribed Lamictal at a low dose of 25mg. Gradually increased in increments of 25mg. I'm now taking 150mg. at bedtime and I no longer have thoughts of suicide, hopelessness or despair. I've been taking Lamictal for 2yrs. now, and I can honestly say that I enjoy life for the first time. Don't give up on this medication as it takes time to work. For me, it was about 2 months. I didn't have any side effects, but everyone is different. Good luck and God Bless!"

Carmia (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Did not help, Was on it for several months. If anything, it made my irritability worse and my temper shorter."

marbelt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal gave me two ulcers, failed a drug screen for one of the best jobs around (said I had PCP in my system), debilitating headaches and gained an immense amount of weight. I was hospitalized for attempted suicide and my doc got mad when I weaned myself off. Having said that, I know lots of people that has had great success with it. I guess it all depends on the individual. Not all bipolar cases are the same."

JenfromTN February 23, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was very tearful when my doctor prescribed Lamictal because I had only been on SSRI medications in the past (they really messed me up and I was hospitalized). My doctor prescribed me Lamicatal at 25mg for 2 weeks, then 50mg for another 2 weeks, with maintenance at 100mg after that. I was tearful because I was terrified to relive what had happened before. Much to my surprise, Lamictal is what I consider my 'life saver'. I feel my moods have been maintained and balanced since beginning this medication. I have not experienced any weight gain at all only headaches from time to time. My libido has actually increased and I read that this medication can affect the menstrual cycle (which it has for me. has made them lighter!). I love Lamictal !"

OrganicSatanic February 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Hello! I have not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but I am 18 and have felt overly sensitive and quick to extreme emotions all my life. I have a trauma history, and have been prescribed Zoloft, Prozac, and Trazadone to cope with my rape trauma, ptsd, etc.. While these meds have helped a bit, My mood swings and my emotional scale still really effects my relationships and lifestyle. I've been feeling really hopeless and self hating lately because of the way I am and have always been. I am being prescribed Lamotrigine by my Psychiatrist and Doctor. I am a little scared at how it will effect me. I hate feeling numb and non-present. I want emotions I just want to control them and not for them to control me. I want to feel whole someday."

Turbur February 19, 2016

"Lamotrigine is an excellent medication for Bipolar II. It helps to even out your mood, but what I found most definitely is helping the depression. Sure it takes a long time to establish a "sweet spot dose" but it's worth the wait. The only troublesome side effect I have had is vision issues, primarily blurred vision -- not debilitating but irritating, yes."

Anonymous February 5, 2016

"I'm very grateful my psych prescribed lamictal serquel for me. After 20 yrs battling severe mental illness (now diagnosed as bipolar type II) without using medication, I decided to give it a proper chance. A suicidal episode brought me to the clinic, I was properly diagnosed & started meds. It took 3 mths to stabilise my mood by slowing increasing dosage. I've been given my life back!! My quality of life is better than it has ever been in the last 20 yrs, since the onset of my mood disorder. For anyone living w bipolar or a mood disorder, I encourage finding the right med regime, self-education, CBT or ACT & mindfulness, healthy diet & excercise. These lifelong illnesses can be effectively managed just like diabetes - there is a way."

featheredfriend (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016