User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 3:33 PM
Review by Beautiful_Jewelia: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I was on so many medicines, hoping from doctor to doctor until I found a neuropsychiatrist who took me off all that gunk and had me try Lamictal. While I am not cured, I most certainly am far more functional with my highs and lows being far less extreme. I also take Prozac to make sure that Lamictal alone won't make me hypomanic. I become that way if on Lamictal alone. I have been on these two medicines for many years. This is the first time ever anything has worked, worked reasonably well and this long!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by banfield (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lamotrigine: This medicine has helped about 95% with my depression and about 75% with my moods I have been on it for about 3 months now I go through periods where I am so happy and so in love with my husband very high libido (feelings I have always struggled to have) But there has been about 2 weeks during this 3 months that I go back to being irritable and moody and wanna smack my husband for everything that comes out of his mouth. So being on these medicine and being Bipolar maybe I'll never be 100% normal.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 6:28 PM
Review by tenover: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Great medicine for cyclothymia/rapid cycling ever and I mean ever-been on 175mg per day 1x for 5 years-literally saved my life. Also if you're prescribed this absolutely have your pharmacist fill with brand only.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 8:43 PM
Review by lulix: User Rating:

lamotrigine: I have been on this medication for 3 weeks now feel better lots of energy and not hungry.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2014 5:24 PM
Review by Zenimia10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I was put on Lamictal about 8 months ago. This medicine will not let my thoughts spiral down even if I wanted them too.

March 14, 2014 7:27 AM
Review by Ann1975 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been taking Lamictal/lamotrigine for over 10 years now to help treat my bipolar 2. I think the fact that 10+ years later and after trying other meds during my hard times I always come back to this one. Life does have ways of kicking me and those times are when other meds have been added or tried, but I always end up on Lamictal regardless.

March 13, 2014 12:50 AM
Review by soulshine95: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have since I was very young displayed what I know now as Type I Bipolor disorder. Probably one of the worst feeling in the world is to have emotions ebb in and out like tall crashing waves. Then the sun comes out and the water is calm. Then a couple days later here comes the storm. It is the worst feeling to think there is nothing that will help. I felt that way.....time after time different meds. Abilify to be one exact example led me to have Hypothyroidism. A condition I have to have meds for the rest of my life. I have after trying many different meds for depression to find only one medicine I would suggest and that is Lamictal. If you are compatible with this medication it will help the mood swings a great deal.

March 8, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lamotrigine: Decreased urine output and extreme difficulty urinating.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 10:30 AM
Review by DesertMoon (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

lamotrigine: This mood stabilizer saved my life

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2014 7:12 PM
Review by Mom off the roller coaster: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself.

February 17, 2014 9:26 PM
Review by Anonymoussss (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lamotrigine: I started lamotrigine only one week ago for classic bipolar and an anxiety disorder. I noticed it starting to work on day two and really noticed a difference on day three! It is life changing! Before my head was overwhelmed with many thoughts processing, many of which were negative, angry thoughts, and now my head is calm and quiet. My thoughts are now all positive and nice. I don't think I could say mean things even if I wanted to because literally my brain blocks it! My anxiety has gone away too, what a great feeling! I had no negative side effects. I was told it may cause weight loss and memory loss, BUT since my head is much more relaxed without anxiety I have started to eat normal again and I have actually had improved memory.

February 15, 2014 6:30 PM
Review by Luetta: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have Bipolar 2. I was diagnosed in 2009 but had suspicions long beforehand. So was put on Prozac, Abilify. While I notice Prozac helping, especially when I don't have any and I begin having withdrawal, I've found that Lamictal really does the job! It's very subtle, maybe because I'm on a very low dosage. Yet, I notice it. I'm more calmer. Not calm completely, just calMER.

January 23, 2014 11:38 AM
Review by Anonymous II: User Rating:

lamotrigine: Although I had experienced major episodes of depression and anxiety (which went unconfirmed by psychiatrists) it wasn't until I turned 24 in May 2013 that I was diagnosed with bipolar II. I was started on Lamictal 25 mg and BAM! within two days I felt like a whole new person: very social, motivated, imaginative and bursting with life (much different from the depressed and irritable self). I am currently on 100 mg and feeling great after continuing college, earning the highest GPA I ever earned, obtaining a new personal training job and meeting a very beautiful girl...I guess that's success. For anyone with the same condition Lamictal is worth trying, as it's super effective and produces almost no side effects.

January 14, 2014 8:46 PM
Review by Heather.80: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I have been taking 300mg of Lamotrigine each day for about 3 years. When I first took it, it made me feel sick and anxious and gave me headaches, but after following some simple advice from my psychiatrist I now DONT GET ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!! He told me to increase the dose slowly (25mg per week) and to always eat when I take the tablets. I've found this medication very effective as an antidepressant but not effective at controlling mania / hypomania. Despite this, I still rate it very highly because it is so much more bearable than any other psychiatric medication that I've taken in the past.

January 13, 2014 9:51 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Saved my life after trying various antidepressants with no results. Felt dizzy and nauseaus the first weeks, but noticed improvements in mood within days.

January 5, 2014 4:24 PM
Review by TechnicolorPhase1991: User Rating:

lamotrigine: I took a lot of antidepressants since I was 11. I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar disorder at 14 because I was admitted into the hospital at 13 for suicidal ideations. They started me on Prozac and I was numb. One day they took me off of Prozac and started me on Lamictal. I was at 5mg then went up to 25, then 75, then once I reached 100mg I started crying during a comedy. My mom and dad were so happy. They started me on 150mg of Lamictal and I was on that for a few years. Doctors were stunned because I only took one pill for bipolar. I stopped taking it July 2012 after they raised my dose to 200mg and I gained 40 lbs. Now I'm 22 and I need to go back on it.

December 16, 2013 6:32 PM
Review by tbpkeyboard85: User Rating:

lamotrigine: I have been fairly recently diagnosed formally with Bipolar II (among a plethora of other things, including obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder, as well as Tourette's syndrome). I've previously been on antipsychotic medication, which I cannot emphasize enough on how negative my experience with this class of medicines has been. Abilify made my anxiety worse. Seroquel made me gain 20 pounds in 2 weeks. Geodon was cost prohibitive and amplified my anxiety. The only side effect I have complaints about is fairly severe dry mouth. I'd recommend a mouthwash that is for people with dry mouth if you opt to take this medicine. Otherwise, I have noticed nearly instant improvement in my symptoms with this.

December 13, 2013 12:14 AM
Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): This is the best psych med option I've ever had. Over a six-year period, I had been prescribed a myriad of medicines for bipolar mania and depression, including: Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa, Celexa, Prozac, Lithium, Geodon, and Tegretol. Lamictal has been a Godsend. Lamictal has not been associated with weight gain nor diabetes (I have type 2, but was diagnosed prior to my prescription). All psych medicines have side effects, and finding the most benign one can be maddening, and even life-threatening, in my case. Give this one, at least a shot.

December 12, 2013 7:18 AM
Review by Ncderw (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lamotrigine: I began to notice the difference after 3 weeks on Lamotrigine. Although I am not 100% better but I am getting there.

December 5, 2013 1:51 PM
Review by leeenaa: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): It seems to be helping, but still some depression remains. I have Bipolar Type 1, so I have struggled with mania, hypomania, mixed mood, and depression. I do notice I'm more "even," which is what the medicine intends to do. I take a combination of meds, so it could be difficult to tell which medicine is doing what. All I know is that I have no side effects, which is good, because I requested a mood stabilizer that will not make me gain weight. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way things are going (thank goodness, because Bipolar could be hell).

December 3, 2013 10:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): Lamictal has been working pretty good so far. My only complaint is lately depression is creeping up on me, but this could be just part of the "winter blues." On Lamictal, I am not emotionless; it just helps with the dramatic mood swings (I have Bipolar type 1). I was given Lamictal as an option due to the fact that I requested a medicine that will not make me gain weight. As I was told, I do notice Lamictal seems to be weight-neutral, which is a good thing. I haven't been on Lamictal more than a few months yet, but I am hoping it continues doing its job.

December 1, 2013 9:47 PM
Review by bpII (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lamotrigine: Not everyone's experience with Lamotrigine is going to be the same, but I do want to say something about the negative reviews here. If Lamotrigine is severely impacting your memory or ability to function, call your doctor and ask them to lower your dose. If you feel like it started to help and then stopped, call your doctor and ask them to raise your dose. There is a 'sweet spot' that people talk about for Lamotrigine. You will know it when you hit it--it takes some trial and error, but please be patient--this is the most effective medication for Bipolar II and Atypical Depression that exists right now. This honestly saved my life.

November 30, 2013 4:48 PM
Review by Maymay 77 Sue: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine): I started Lamictal about a year ago. Nothing else worked, the medicines made me tired and sometimes worse. My family noticed a huge change in my moods and I don't nearly get angry at all. This medication is awesome! I take 400mg a day now, but I was pretty bad! I thought I was better once and stopped taking it and oh boy my family was like get back on your meds! I will never stop taking this medication again! My son has bipolar as well, I am going to ask doctor to try him on it as well! Only side effect is dry mouth.

November 21, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by lb1984 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

lamotrigine: Lamotrigine has worked for me, I'm bipolar 2 and other meds have been ineffective. I have been on 100mg a day for three years with a break for pregnancy. I have had spots at the times of dose increases and headaches when I have forgotten to take it. I do occasionally up my dose for a few days if I'm feeling down, this seems to stop a depressive episode from developing. After a few days I drop the dose down again and seem to go on as before. Overall I feel normal and would be lost without this medicine.

November 17, 2013 5:53 PM