User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Frozen Shoulder 1 reviews 73 medications

Langerhans' Cell Histiocytosis 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Indomethacin reviews 68 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Indomethacin

Review by Gout 0111090412 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: Excellent pain reduction. Slow on swelling reduction. Stiffness is decreased, but not eliminated. Works much better than any OTC choice

September 10, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by gout_hurts:

For Gout, Acute: The 1st time I tried indomethacin, it was magic for gout. I took it during flare up and half an hour later, I felt the pain dissipate like the feeling of your foot getting 'unslept' from being asleep. The side effects were horrible. I was dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and wanted to puke. So after the 1st time, I would only take it when I was about to go to sleep. The 1st time tried indomethacin was 7 years ago. I have flare ups once or twice a year since then. Now though, I don't feel the side effects but the medicine has also stopped working. Maybe I built a tolerance to it. Before, I would take 2 tablets before I went to bed and I would wake up pain free.

September 6, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Farmer/Cop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Gout, Acute: This stuff works great! I am the toughest guy you'll ever meet, but a gout attack will literally stop me in my tracks! I've had three in the past four years, they cripple! This medicine was prescribed to me the first time. I only take them for two days and everything is fine. Being stubborn and tough I always wait until I can't walk for some reason! I guess I just don't like the thought that I can't make it through without meds! I've had broken bones, concussions, puncture wounds, and cuts to the bone....but gout is the worst pain ever! This medicine usually works within hours, which is great so I can get back to catching criminals and growing crops!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by khatai (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Back Pain: i have been using this medicine for the last 4 years. It helps to approximately stop the growth of diseases. It is helpful and I am taking it with SAZO 500.

July 10, 2014 2:28 AM

Review by Renndodo (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: Within 24hrs pain and swelling decreased significantly from 10 to 3 on pain scale. My only side effect was diarrhea.

May 18, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by kloon (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: This is great a couple of hours and the pain was gone.

March 9, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by 58thSPS (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty.

March 4, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by diane_2:

For Pain: I have severe tongue pain after a nerve was damaged after my wisdom teeth were removed. The medication worked well on the pain but the dizziness is too much. I can't function normally like this. Have to stop taking it and go back to severe pain.

February 22, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by GL Jenkins (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: Good results for gout within a day or so of treatment. Relieved pain very rapidly, but a bit slower dealing with the swelling.

October 10, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by chuckcelt:

For Gout, Acute: Indomethacin is the only medicine that works for an acute gout flare up. Motrin and Naprosyn have never worked for me (since it first came out, docs are always trying to foist Naprosyn off on me. All it does is make me very irritated. either a side effect or the effect of no relief). I've also tried other NSAIDs with no relief. I'm prescribed 75mg three times a day for the first two days and then twice a day for two to three more and finally down to once a day for the remainder of the week to 10 days it takes to tame down the flare up.

October 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Review by aero guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Gout, Acute: I am surprised no one has complained about the terrible headache side effects. For the past six months, I have taken indomethacin on 5 different occasions when I feel a severe gout attack coming. I would start with 100mg 3x a day for the first two days, followed by 50mg 3x a day for 8 days after. It always worked and prevented a full-blown gout attack. However, I always got a headache while taking this medicine (supposedly a very common side effect). Most recently, however, I experienced a headache so severe that I had to leave work. I thought it was the intra-dose withdrawal headache that I normally got from this medication, so I took another pill hoping I would feel better, Immediately I vomited.

September 25, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by phil 11:

For Gout, Acute: I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid.

September 25, 2013 4:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision.

September 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Review by Angle Grinder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Gout, Acute: When Gouts strikes I take 50mg 3 times a day at 4 hour intervals. I try to only take this medication for 2 days because I find the side effects to be a hindrance to my job. The main side effects I get are confusion and the inability to concentrate on tasks which means I'm like a zombie when taking these meds.

September 9, 2013 7:22 AM

Review by jp in philly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I had my second gout attack in 3 years. It was just my ankle and my right leg and like the others here it was excruciating. I was this close to going to the emergency room. I toughed it out, I still don't know why, and went to the doctor the very next morning. She prescribed indomethacin and I only took 1 x 50 milligram pill. Within 90 minutes I could feel the pain easing. Within 2 hours I could walk easily. By that night I was so pain free I was even able to coach my son's baseball game. No side effects. No weird feelings. Best of all, I have 40 of these wonder pills left!

August 20, 2013 11:10 PM

Review by dicot9:

For Pain: When I run out of sumatriptan, 50 mg of indomethacin, a caffeine tab, ice pack and a rest gives almost complete relief in a couple hours. Much less expensive than sumatriptan. $7 co-pay for 120 which treats 60 headaches vs $7 copay for 9 sumatriptan which treats 9 headaches. Sumatriptan is faster but doesn't give the added relief to my arthritis. Can't take indomethacin if you haven't eaten or can't eat.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 8:32 PM

Review by texaswife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bursitis: I was diagnosed with Bursitis 2 days ago. I have never heard of this medication until then. All I can say is I am so impressed by this medication. My pain has diminished greatly! I did get the lightheadedness and a little of an upset stomach but that is all. I definitely would recommend it to anyone. I was thrown off by the side effects at first but I'm very glad I gave this medicine a chance. Just remember to eat with it. It was very cheap too. I have Vicoden along with it.

July 22, 2013 5:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I take 50 milligrams of indomethacin with a caffeine tab at first sign of migraine and call it quits until relief kicks in in about 1 1/2 hours. Slower than Imitrex but much cheaper and not limited by insurance. My headaches have signs of autonomic nervous system dysfunction, common to indomethacin sensitive headaches so my neuro suggested a trial dose taken daily along with Topamax for a preventative. When I took indomethacin daily I got mentally weird and even paranoid and anxious which was totally not me so I quit daily use and only take it with individual headaches.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2013 11:55 PM

Review by QBIX (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: Have had Gout and was prescribed with indomethacin. Feelings after taking it, makes you want to go to sleep. Don't fight that feeling. Hit the sack and relax and when you wake up, You'll feel like a million dollar!

July 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by kenE4:

Indocin (indomethacin) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: Indomethicin ER 75 mg extended release capsules have worked best for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by Jessinfl:

For Gout, Acute: I woke up at 4 am with such intense pain in my right big toe I couldn't bare to have the bed covers touch it. It was the weekend, so I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gout and prescribed Indocin. Took it when I got home and about an hour later I had this odd feeling wash over me and the pain was instantaneously reduced. It was the strangest sensation I've ever experienced. It was like a switch was flipped and the pain was gone, it was that distinct. Really thankful it worked so well.

June 2, 2013 9:55 AM

Review by unciru:

For Gout, Acute: I get gout often. Nothing like indomethacin works as well. It does make me feel "loopey" kind of light headed. But I call it a miracle. Trust me, Gout is no fun.

May 22, 2013 3:31 PM

Review by StevieBloom (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: After 3 days of initial Prednisone 20mg, the 1st day of Indocin I went from 8-2 on the pain scale! I was so grateful! And NO side effects!

May 19, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by Lynne2620:

For Cluster Headaches: I've been taking indomethacin at the onset of headache along with twice a day doses of Topamax. The combination works well to control my cluster headaches and I only have them about every other month now.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2013 9:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Osteoarthritis: 150 mg per day has left my knees completely pain free! Unfortunately, now my dr. wants me to take less, to avoid doing damage to my stomach.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate