User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Frozen Shoulder 1 reviews 73 medications

Gitelman Syndrome 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Langerhans' Cell Histiocytosis 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Indomethacin reviews 80 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Indomethacin

For Gout, Acute: "I get a gout flare up once or twice a year, and usually one or two pills knocks it out. This time around, one 50 mg pill is not working so well....I am on my 5th and 6th pill (took 2 or 100 mg) about an hour ago, and I am currently feeling the pain subside. Anyone else here use dosages above 50 mg....any side effects?"

EddieJ76 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "Miracle relief. Take stomach issues over the gout pain. I find it better than cochlicine. No running to the bathroom, just a little pain in my stomach and gassy. I used one script for two years. When attack would come on I would take it immediately and the pain was much less than letting it get severe and then take it. If you have had recurrent gout you can sort of feel it coming on and you know what's coming if you don't get it controlled quickly."

Mad Marlin (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "I am one to accidentally drill through my thumb and wrap it in electrical tape and call it good but after two days with my first case of gout I was unable to put on pants by myself without screaming. Was given a shot of Toradol and prescribed indomethacin and I must say it really helps but hasn't taken the pain away fully. A 10 down to a dull 3. Makes me feel tired constantly and also have to use restroom constantly along with dry mouth. It's worth it... Trade the pain for the tiredness any day."

MikeTX March 1, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "Had my first episode of gout. Dr. prescribed Indomethacin. Symptoms significantly reduced in 12 hours and completely gone in 48 hours. No noticed side effects."

oldchief February 26, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "This is the second time for gout, first time, the knee a few years ago, tried ice and heat packs with no relief, finally so painful had to leave work. Can't remember what medication but it worked. This time top of foot, hurt most when I laced up sport shoes. Finally went to Dr and diagnosed as gout or stress fracture, x-ray negative. Took these 3 times a day for 10 days at 25 mg a dose. Swelling went down quickly but pain took a few more days. The day after I stopped them I had acute pain behind my knee, one of my varicose veins was swollen up and there was a decent sized lump. I panicked thinking DVT, ultrasound showed no clot so much. Googled and found Cardiovascular: superficial Thrombophlebitis: Causal relationship unknown, so beware."

Mrs Nicko (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "Within an hour the pain went from a ten to a four, and that was just one pill. You do get very tired, but it is worth it to rid oneself of a pain that gout brings-- the worst imaginable."

Worked wonders (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

For Gout, Acute: "Indomethacin at the dose of 200mg per 12 hours over a period of 5 days works best for me. I have tried all doses lower and they have no affect. Only opiates prescribed immediately will stop the pain in two hours, but doctors do not understand the severe pain gout attacks feel like and are reluctant to give this type of pain killer even though the gout attack is so severe that one cannot do anything but lay in bed with pain. Unless you have had an attack of gout you have no idea what pain really is."

zoebe December 19, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "Indomethacin really works good for me. I got pain relief in about two hours. The swelling did take quite some time to subside. I didn't experience any side effects. I took med with food and had a bowl of oatmeal every day for the fiber to help with diarrhea and it helps coat the stomach to reduce uneasy stomach feelings. One banana, orange, and apple throughout the day really helped me. Colchicine is a miracle medicine for gout. If you can get your hands on some it works twice as fast as indomethacin but the side effects are horrible. Everyones body chemistry is different but for me indomethacin is my medicine of choice for gout. I found what food is needed to get back to normal. Just have to continue eating good to stay normal."

mygout December 17, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: "The best working medicine for my Gout. Pain reduced 95% within the first hour. I've tried steroid packs and other medicines but this works and works fast. No side effects for me but I follow directions and usually have some food in my stomach before taking."

EddieZ2000 December 11, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "I read this forum when I got my prescription for 75mg Indomethacin. I took it about 2 hours ago and I have a little bit of gas but a dramatic reduction in pain. I can actually put a sock on without grimacing. Amazing. This is after days of suffering and very little help from OTC meds. I am quite amazed at how well this medicine worked."

Hot Foot October 28, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "Had recurring ankle and foot issues for about 8 months. Second toe caused me to have a hard time walking. With a family history of gout, I suspected either that or fractures. Went to podiatrist, xrays negative. Prescribed Indocin and sent for blood work. 1/50 mg 3 times, with 6 hour intervals. First pill didn't seem to change and actually seemed to get worse. Second pill taken and went to sleep. Woke up and was substantially better. Took third. Took 1 and 3 after meals and took 2 with a large glass of skim milk at 11 pm. No noticeable side effects. The stuff just works. Uric acid levels came back high, so changes to be made and a supply of this to be kept around in case of emergency"

Frenchman (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "Fairly good pain relieving medicine, it works within hours. Side effects are bad but temporary (sleepy, nauseated, felt very lethargic). Gout attack repeats, after few days pain shifts from one part to the other part of the foot, redness hot from toe to the sole of the foot. Doctor is going to prescribes a maintenance medicine after seeing the results of blood work."

Guy Toronto October 18, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "Excellent pain reduction. Slow on swelling reduction. Stiffness is decreased, but not eliminated. Works much better than any OTC choice"

Gout 0111090412 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "The 1st time I tried indomethacin, it was magic for gout. I took it during flare up and half an hour later, I felt the pain dissipate like the feeling of your foot getting 'unslept' from being asleep. The side effects were horrible. I was dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and wanted to puke. So after the 1st time, I would only take it when I was about to go to sleep. The 1st time tried indomethacin was 7 years ago. I have flare ups once or twice a year since then. Now though, I don't feel the side effects but the medicine has also stopped working. Maybe I built a tolerance to it. Before, I would take 2 tablets before I went to bed and I would wake up pain free."

gout_hurts September 6, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "This stuff works great! I am the toughest guy you'll ever meet, but a gout attack will literally stop me in my tracks! I've had three in the past four years, they cripple! This medicine was prescribed to me the first time. I only take them for two days and everything is fine. Being stubborn and tough I always wait until I can't walk for some reason! I guess I just don't like the thought that I can't make it through without meds! I've had broken bones, concussions, puncture wounds, and cuts to the bone....but gout is the worst pain ever! This medicine usually works within hours, which is great so I can get back to catching criminals and growing crops!"

Farmer/Cop (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2014

For Back Pain: "i have been using this medicine for the last 4 years. It helps to approximately stop the growth of diseases. It is helpful and I am taking it with SAZO 500."

khatai (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: "Within 24hrs pain and swelling decreased significantly from 10 to 3 on pain scale. My only side effect was diarrhea."

Renndodo (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: "This is great a couple of hours and the pain was gone."

kloon (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2014

For Gout, Acute: "I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty."

58thSPS (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2014

For Pain: "I have severe tongue pain after a nerve was damaged after my wisdom teeth were removed. The medication worked well on the pain but the dizziness is too much. I can't function normally like this. Have to stop taking it and go back to severe pain."

diane_2 February 22, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: "Good results for gout within a day or so of treatment. Relieved pain very rapidly, but a bit slower dealing with the swelling. "

GL Jenkins (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2013

For Gout, Acute: "Indomethacin is the only medicine that works for an acute gout flare up. Motrin and Naprosyn have never worked for me (since it first came out, docs are always trying to foist Naprosyn off on me. All it does is make me very irritated. either a side effect or the effect of no relief). I've also tried other NSAIDs with no relief. I'm prescribed 75mg three times a day for the first two days and then twice a day for two to three more and finally down to once a day for the remainder of the week to 10 days it takes to tame down the flare up."

chuckcelt October 3, 2013

For Gout, Acute: "I am surprised no one has complained about the terrible headache side effects. For the past six months, I have taken indomethacin on 5 different occasions when I feel a severe gout attack coming. I would start with 100mg 3x a day for the first two days, followed by 50mg 3x a day for 8 days after. It always worked and prevented a full-blown gout attack. However, I always got a headache while taking this medicine (supposedly a very common side effect). Most recently, however, I experienced a headache so severe that I had to leave work. I thought it was the intra-dose withdrawal headache that I normally got from this medication, so I took another pill hoping I would feel better, Immediately I vomited. "

aero guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2013

For Gout, Acute: "I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid."

phil 11 September 25, 2013

For Gout, Acute: "I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2013