User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Frozen Shoulder 1 reviews 73 medications

Langerhans' Cell Histiocytosis 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Indomethacin reviews 73 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Indomethacin

Review by zoebe:

For Gout, Acute: Indomethacin at the dose of 200mg per 12 hours over a period of 5 days works best for me. I have tried all doses lower and they have no affect. Only opiates prescribed immediately will stop the pain in two hours, but doctors do not understand the severe pain gout attacks feel like and are reluctant to give this type of pain killer even though the gout attack is so severe that one cannot do anything but lay in bed with pain. Unless you have had an attack of gout you have no idea what pain really is.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by EddieZ2000:

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: The best working medicine for my Gout. Pain reduced 95% within the first hour. I've tried steroid packs and other medicines but this works and works fast. No side effects for me but I follow directions and usually have some food in my stomach before taking.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 9:04 AM

Review by Hot Foot:

For Gout, Acute: I read this forum when I got my prescription for 75mg Indomethacin. I took it about 2 hours ago and I have a little bit of gas but a dramatic reduction in pain. I can actually put a sock on without grimacing. Amazing. This is after days of suffering and very little help from OTC meds. I am quite amazed at how well this medicine worked.

October 28, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Frenchman (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: Had recurring ankle and foot issues for about 8 months. Second toe caused me to have a hard time walking. With a family history of gout, I suspected either that or fractures. Went to podiatrist, xrays negative. Prescribed Indocin and sent for blood work. 1/50 mg 3 times, with 6 hour intervals. First pill didn't seem to change and actually seemed to get worse. Second pill taken and went to sleep. Woke up and was substantially better. Took third. Took 1 and 3 after meals and took 2 with a large glass of skim milk at 11 pm. No noticeable side effects. The stuff just works. Uric acid levels came back high, so changes to be made and a supply of this to be kept around in case of emergency

October 28, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Guy Toronto:

For Gout, Acute: Fairly good pain relieving medicine, it works within hours. Side effects are bad but temporary (sleepy, nauseated, felt very lethargic). Gout attack repeats, after few days pain shifts from one part to the other part of the foot, redness hot from toe to the sole of the foot. Doctor is going to prescribes a maintenance medicine after seeing the results of blood work.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by Gout 0111090412 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: Excellent pain reduction. Slow on swelling reduction. Stiffness is decreased, but not eliminated. Works much better than any OTC choice

September 10, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by gout_hurts:

For Gout, Acute: The 1st time I tried indomethacin, it was magic for gout. I took it during flare up and half an hour later, I felt the pain dissipate like the feeling of your foot getting 'unslept' from being asleep. The side effects were horrible. I was dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and wanted to puke. So after the 1st time, I would only take it when I was about to go to sleep. The 1st time tried indomethacin was 7 years ago. I have flare ups once or twice a year since then. Now though, I don't feel the side effects but the medicine has also stopped working. Maybe I built a tolerance to it. Before, I would take 2 tablets before I went to bed and I would wake up pain free.

September 6, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Farmer/Cop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Gout, Acute: This stuff works great! I am the toughest guy you'll ever meet, but a gout attack will literally stop me in my tracks! I've had three in the past four years, they cripple! This medicine was prescribed to me the first time. I only take them for two days and everything is fine. Being stubborn and tough I always wait until I can't walk for some reason! I guess I just don't like the thought that I can't make it through without meds! I've had broken bones, concussions, puncture wounds, and cuts to the bone....but gout is the worst pain ever! This medicine usually works within hours, which is great so I can get back to catching criminals and growing crops!

July 31, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by khatai (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Back Pain: i have been using this medicine for the last 4 years. It helps to approximately stop the growth of diseases. It is helpful and I am taking it with SAZO 500.

July 10, 2014 2:28 AM

Review by Renndodo (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: Within 24hrs pain and swelling decreased significantly from 10 to 3 on pain scale. My only side effect was diarrhea.

May 18, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by kloon (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: This is great a couple of hours and the pain was gone.

March 9, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by 58thSPS (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty.

March 4, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by diane_2:

For Pain: I have severe tongue pain after a nerve was damaged after my wisdom teeth were removed. The medication worked well on the pain but the dizziness is too much. I can't function normally like this. Have to stop taking it and go back to severe pain.

February 22, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by GL Jenkins (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin) for Gout, Acute: Good results for gout within a day or so of treatment. Relieved pain very rapidly, but a bit slower dealing with the swelling.

October 10, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by chuckcelt:

For Gout, Acute: Indomethacin is the only medicine that works for an acute gout flare up. Motrin and Naprosyn have never worked for me (since it first came out, docs are always trying to foist Naprosyn off on me. All it does is make me very irritated. either a side effect or the effect of no relief). I've also tried other NSAIDs with no relief. I'm prescribed 75mg three times a day for the first two days and then twice a day for two to three more and finally down to once a day for the remainder of the week to 10 days it takes to tame down the flare up.

October 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Review by aero guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Gout, Acute: I am surprised no one has complained about the terrible headache side effects. For the past six months, I have taken indomethacin on 5 different occasions when I feel a severe gout attack coming. I would start with 100mg 3x a day for the first two days, followed by 50mg 3x a day for 8 days after. It always worked and prevented a full-blown gout attack. However, I always got a headache while taking this medicine (supposedly a very common side effect). Most recently, however, I experienced a headache so severe that I had to leave work. I thought it was the intra-dose withdrawal headache that I normally got from this medication, so I took another pill hoping I would feel better, Immediately I vomited.

September 25, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by phil 11:

For Gout, Acute: I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid.

September 25, 2013 4:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision.

September 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Review by Angle Grinder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Gout, Acute: When Gouts strikes I take 50mg 3 times a day at 4 hour intervals. I try to only take this medication for 2 days because I find the side effects to be a hindrance to my job. The main side effects I get are confusion and the inability to concentrate on tasks which means I'm like a zombie when taking these meds.

September 9, 2013 7:22 AM

Review by jp in philly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: I had my second gout attack in 3 years. It was just my ankle and my right leg and like the others here it was excruciating. I was this close to going to the emergency room. I toughed it out, I still don't know why, and went to the doctor the very next morning. She prescribed indomethacin and I only took 1 x 50 milligram pill. Within 90 minutes I could feel the pain easing. Within 2 hours I could walk easily. By that night I was so pain free I was even able to coach my son's baseball game. No side effects. No weird feelings. Best of all, I have 40 of these wonder pills left!

August 20, 2013 11:10 PM

Review by dicot9:

For Pain: When I run out of sumatriptan, 50 mg of indomethacin, a caffeine tab, ice pack and a rest gives almost complete relief in a couple hours. Much less expensive than sumatriptan. $7 co-pay for 120 which treats 60 headaches vs $7 copay for 9 sumatriptan which treats 9 headaches. Sumatriptan is faster but doesn't give the added relief to my arthritis. Can't take indomethacin if you haven't eaten or can't eat.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 8:32 PM

Review by texaswife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bursitis: I was diagnosed with Bursitis 2 days ago. I have never heard of this medication until then. All I can say is I am so impressed by this medication. My pain has diminished greatly! I did get the lightheadedness and a little of an upset stomach but that is all. I definitely would recommend it to anyone. I was thrown off by the side effects at first but I'm very glad I gave this medicine a chance. Just remember to eat with it. It was very cheap too. I have Vicoden along with it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 5:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I take 50 milligrams of indomethacin with a caffeine tab at first sign of migraine and call it quits until relief kicks in in about 1 1/2 hours. Slower than Imitrex but much cheaper and not limited by insurance. My headaches have signs of autonomic nervous system dysfunction, common to indomethacin sensitive headaches so my neuro suggested a trial dose taken daily along with Topamax for a preventative. When I took indomethacin daily I got mentally weird and even paranoid and anxious which was totally not me so I quit daily use and only take it with individual headaches.

July 16, 2013 11:55 PM

Review by QBIX (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gout, Acute: Have had Gout and was prescribed with indomethacin. Feelings after taking it, makes you want to go to sleep. Don't fight that feeling. Hit the sack and relax and when you wake up, You'll feel like a million dollar!

July 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by kenE4:

Indocin (indomethacin) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: Indomethicin ER 75 mg extended release capsules have worked best for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate