User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Indomethacin Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Gout, Acute

"My mates told me about the tablets ,,, and wow ,,, had a attack for 5 days in my knee I could not walk or get out off the chair , my mate gave me some , I know I should not take somebody's else's tablets , but when in pain you will do anything. The next day after taking indomethacin I could get out off the chair and walk. I still sore but after 3 days back to normal"

Barry99 August 12, 2015

"I've had gout in my right toe for 3 weeks. Doc had me on Ibuprofen, prednisone and then Sulindac. Had some relief but then it got really bad after I had two glasses of wine (I thought wine was OK - NO, NO, NO. The pain was excruciating - My gout club members know what I mean. Then the Doc prescribed Indomethacin and I finally started to get some significant relief. After the first pill I got some relief, and it continued; after two full days (3x/day), I went to bed last night with minimal pain. I still can not put on shoes without introducing the pain. So still I am trying to figure out if I may have permanent damage to toe. Indomethacin will now be a permanent item in my Emergency Kit. Take it with food - your body will adjust."

FitzEagle July 26, 2015

"Thanks to my father and his father, gout has been experienced by my siblings, me and some of our children. My oldest brother and I have used both indomethacin and inducing to successfully treat flares up of gout. Neither my brother nor I have had issues with gout for at least five years. Both of our respective doctors, in the meantime prescribed allopurinol, which reduces uric acid and helps prevent gout. However, I still keep indomethacin in my medicine cabinet just in case the gout ever comes back to haunt me. I suggest always taking indomethacin with plenty of food and water or milk to prevent stomach pain."

Julse (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2015

"when I used to have gout attacked, I used indomethacin. It used to heal my pain with in one day . But this time it did not help me for three days."

Chetan sharma July 18, 2015

"I woke up this morning with my ankle as big as my calf!! I took two 75 mg capsules and was at work by 8. Anyone who has never experienced gout has no idea what the true meaning of pain relief really means!!!"

Dope Cop July 16, 2015

"I usually get pain/gout attacks behind my big toe. This causes the pain to radiate through my inner arch towards my ankle. Makes it a pain to walk and function properly. I took this medicine and by 3rd dose the majority of my pain is gone. This medication is a life saver!"

MattyV (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2015

"I've taken this as prescribed for two days now no results."

Wingmenrob July 7, 2015

"I have gout in my big toe and when it flares up this medicine is my best friend within a day or 2 my pain is gone."

Pain free from gout (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2015

"was experiencing gout attack for over a month and was prescribed indomethacin 25 milligram capsules when all my other home remedies such as tart cherry juice, apple cider vinegar, baking soda and tumeric had not helped. I took one 25 milligram tablet 2 hours later I could feel the pain subside. Took another capsule and pain decreased more took one more capsule before bed and the next morning gout was gone. Thank God for indomethacin."

Slammin, Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2015

"I've often had gout. At first, I didn't even know what it was. I've had it mostly in my feet, but once in my elbow. My forearm looked like Popeye. It usually lasts for a week or so. Lately, my Dr. has prescribed Indomethacin, 50 Mg capsules. The first time, I took one and it didn't do much. I reverted to Advil. The second time, I popped 2. The pain was gone in an hour and the redness was gone the next morning!"

Gouty June 2, 2015

"Ok First of all I can honestly say I am a member of the honorable Gout Club. I have had full blown gout at least 4 times when I failed to react to the symptoms due to confusing the pain to that of my Cholesterol medication. On the initial onset of pain, OD on Cherry Juice concentrate, Daily C and lots of water helps block the effect if done so immediately. If I delay and its the true Gout attack I'm in for giving birth to a baby out my big toe. Well at least its the most horrible feeling, Unless your a true gout member you wont ever understand / appreciate the real pain one goes thru. Indomethacin has been the real pain stopper and works everytime. Unfortunately for me I was on Effient and Plavix and they wouldn't prescribe."

MyLoonatekii (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2015

"I get a gout flare up once or twice a year, and usually one or two pills knocks it out. This time around, one 50 mg pill is not working so well....I am on my 5th and 6th pill (took 2 or 100 mg) about an hour ago, and I am currently feeling the pain subside. Anyone else here use dosages above 50 mg....any side effects?"

EddieJ76 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

"Miracle relief. Take stomach issues over the gout pain. I find it better than cochlicine. No running to the bathroom, just a little pain in my stomach and gassy. I used one script for two years. When attack would come on I would take it immediately and the pain was much less than letting it get severe and then take it. If you have had recurrent gout you can sort of feel it coming on and you know what's coming if you don't get it controlled quickly."

Mad Marlin (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 8, 2015

"I am one to accidentally drill through my thumb and wrap it in electrical tape and call it good but after two days with my first case of gout I was unable to put on pants by myself without screaming. Was given a shot of Toradol and prescribed indomethacin and I must say it really helps but hasn't taken the pain away fully. A 10 down to a dull 3. Makes me feel tired constantly and also have to use restroom constantly along with dry mouth. It's worth it... Trade the pain for the tiredness any day."

MikeTX March 1, 2015

"Had my first episode of gout. Dr. prescribed Indomethacin. Symptoms significantly reduced in 12 hours and completely gone in 48 hours. No noticed side effects."

oldchief February 26, 2015

"This is the second time for gout, first time, the knee a few years ago, tried ice and heat packs with no relief, finally so painful had to leave work. Can't remember what medication but it worked. This time top of foot, hurt most when I laced up sport shoes. Finally went to Dr and diagnosed as gout or stress fracture, x-ray negative. Took these 3 times a day for 10 days at 25 mg a dose. Swelling went down quickly but pain took a few more days. The day after I stopped them I had acute pain behind my knee, one of my varicose veins was swollen up and there was a decent sized lump. I panicked thinking DVT, ultrasound showed no clot so much. Googled and found Cardiovascular: superficial Thrombophlebitis: Causal relationship unknown, so beware."

Mrs Nicko (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

"Within an hour the pain went from a ten to a four, and that was just one pill. You do get very tired, but it is worth it to rid oneself of a pain that gout brings-- the worst imaginable."

Worked wonders (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

"Indomethacin at the dose of 200mg per 12 hours over a period of 5 days works best for me. I have tried all doses lower and they have no affect. Only opiates prescribed immediately will stop the pain in two hours, but doctors do not understand the severe pain gout attacks feel like and are reluctant to give this type of pain killer even though the gout attack is so severe that one cannot do anything but lay in bed with pain. Unless you have had an attack of gout you have no idea what pain really is."

zoebe December 19, 2014

"Indomethacin really works good for me. I got pain relief in about two hours. The swelling did take quite some time to subside. I didn't experience any side effects. I took med with food and had a bowl of oatmeal every day for the fiber to help with diarrhea and it helps coat the stomach to reduce uneasy stomach feelings. One banana, orange, and apple throughout the day really helped me. Colchicine is a miracle medicine for gout. If you can get your hands on some it works twice as fast as indomethacin but the side effects are horrible. Everyones body chemistry is different but for me indomethacin is my medicine of choice for gout. I found what food is needed to get back to normal. Just have to continue eating good to stay normal."

mygout December 17, 2014

Indocin (indomethacin): "The best working medicine for my Gout. Pain reduced 95% within the first hour. I've tried steroid packs and other medicines but this works and works fast. No side effects for me but I follow directions and usually have some food in my stomach before taking."

EddieZ2000 December 11, 2014

"I read this forum when I got my prescription for 75mg Indomethacin. I took it about 2 hours ago and I have a little bit of gas but a dramatic reduction in pain. I can actually put a sock on without grimacing. Amazing. This is after days of suffering and very little help from OTC meds. I am quite amazed at how well this medicine worked."

Hot Foot October 28, 2014

"Had recurring ankle and foot issues for about 8 months. Second toe caused me to have a hard time walking. With a family history of gout, I suspected either that or fractures. Went to podiatrist, xrays negative. Prescribed Indocin and sent for blood work. 1/50 mg 3 times, with 6 hour intervals. First pill didn't seem to change and actually seemed to get worse. Second pill taken and went to sleep. Woke up and was substantially better. Took third. Took 1 and 3 after meals and took 2 with a large glass of skim milk at 11 pm. No noticeable side effects. The stuff just works. Uric acid levels came back high, so changes to be made and a supply of this to be kept around in case of emergency"

Frenchman (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2014

"Fairly good pain relieving medicine, it works within hours. Side effects are bad but temporary (sleepy, nauseated, felt very lethargic). Gout attack repeats, after few days pain shifts from one part to the other part of the foot, redness hot from toe to the sole of the foot. Doctor is going to prescribes a maintenance medicine after seeing the results of blood work."

Guy Toronto October 18, 2014

"Excellent pain reduction. Slow on swelling reduction. Stiffness is decreased, but not eliminated. Works much better than any OTC choice"

Gout 0111090412 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2014

"The 1st time I tried indomethacin, it was magic for gout. I took it during flare up and half an hour later, I felt the pain dissipate like the feeling of your foot getting 'unslept' from being asleep. The side effects were horrible. I was dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and wanted to puke. So after the 1st time, I would only take it when I was about to go to sleep. The 1st time tried indomethacin was 7 years ago. I have flare ups once or twice a year since then. Now though, I don't feel the side effects but the medicine has also stopped working. Maybe I built a tolerance to it. Before, I would take 2 tablets before I went to bed and I would wake up pain free."

gout_hurts September 6, 2014