User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Indomethacin review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Gout, Acute

Review by zoebe:

Indomethacin at the dose of 200mg per 12 hours over a period of 5 days works best for me. I have tried all doses lower and they have no affect. Only opiates prescribed immediately will stop the pain in two hours, but doctors do not understand the severe pain gout attacks feel like and are reluctant to give this type of pain killer even though the gout attack is so severe that one cannot do anything but lay in bed with pain. Unless you have had an attack of gout you have no idea what pain really is.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by EddieZ2000:

Indocin (indomethacin): The best working medicine for my Gout. Pain reduced 95% within the first hour. I've tried steroid packs and other medicines but this works and works fast. No side effects for me but I follow directions and usually have some food in my stomach before taking.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 9:04 AM

Review by Hot Foot:

I read this forum when I got my prescription for 75mg Indomethacin. I took it about 2 hours ago and I have a little bit of gas but a dramatic reduction in pain. I can actually put a sock on without grimacing. Amazing. This is after days of suffering and very little help from OTC meds. I am quite amazed at how well this medicine worked.

October 28, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by Frenchman (taken for less than 1 month):

Had recurring ankle and foot issues for about 8 months. Second toe caused me to have a hard time walking. With a family history of gout, I suspected either that or fractures. Went to podiatrist, xrays negative. Prescribed Indocin and sent for blood work. 1/50 mg 3 times, with 6 hour intervals. First pill didn't seem to change and actually seemed to get worse. Second pill taken and went to sleep. Woke up and was substantially better. Took third. Took 1 and 3 after meals and took 2 with a large glass of skim milk at 11 pm. No noticeable side effects. The stuff just works. Uric acid levels came back high, so changes to be made and a supply of this to be kept around in case of emergency

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Guy Toronto:

Fairly good pain relieving medicine, it works within hours. Side effects are bad but temporary (sleepy, nauseated, felt very lethargic). Gout attack repeats, after few days pain shifts from one part to the other part of the foot, redness hot from toe to the sole of the foot. Doctor is going to prescribes a maintenance medicine after seeing the results of blood work.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by Gout 0111090412 (taken for less than 1 month):

Excellent pain reduction. Slow on swelling reduction. Stiffness is decreased, but not eliminated. Works much better than any OTC choice

September 10, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by gout_hurts:

The 1st time I tried indomethacin, it was magic for gout. I took it during flare up and half an hour later, I felt the pain dissipate like the feeling of your foot getting 'unslept' from being asleep. The side effects were horrible. I was dizzy, nauseous, had a headache, and wanted to puke. So after the 1st time, I would only take it when I was about to go to sleep. The 1st time tried indomethacin was 7 years ago. I have flare ups once or twice a year since then. Now though, I don't feel the side effects but the medicine has also stopped working. Maybe I built a tolerance to it. Before, I would take 2 tablets before I went to bed and I would wake up pain free.

September 6, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Farmer/Cop (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This stuff works great! I am the toughest guy you'll ever meet, but a gout attack will literally stop me in my tracks! I've had three in the past four years, they cripple! This medicine was prescribed to me the first time. I only take them for two days and everything is fine. Being stubborn and tough I always wait until I can't walk for some reason! I guess I just don't like the thought that I can't make it through without meds! I've had broken bones, concussions, puncture wounds, and cuts to the bone....but gout is the worst pain ever! This medicine usually works within hours, which is great so I can get back to catching criminals and growing crops!

July 31, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Renndodo (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin): Within 24hrs pain and swelling decreased significantly from 10 to 3 on pain scale. My only side effect was diarrhea.

May 18, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by kloon (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin): This is great a couple of hours and the pain was gone.

March 9, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by 58thSPS (taken for less than 1 month):

I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty.

March 4, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by GL Jenkins (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin): Good results for gout within a day or so of treatment. Relieved pain very rapidly, but a bit slower dealing with the swelling.

October 10, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by chuckcelt:

Indomethacin is the only medicine that works for an acute gout flare up. Motrin and Naprosyn have never worked for me (since it first came out, docs are always trying to foist Naprosyn off on me. All it does is make me very irritated. either a side effect or the effect of no relief). I've also tried other NSAIDs with no relief. I'm prescribed 75mg three times a day for the first two days and then twice a day for two to three more and finally down to once a day for the remainder of the week to 10 days it takes to tame down the flare up.

October 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Review by aero guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am surprised no one has complained about the terrible headache side effects. For the past six months, I have taken indomethacin on 5 different occasions when I feel a severe gout attack coming. I would start with 100mg 3x a day for the first two days, followed by 50mg 3x a day for 8 days after. It always worked and prevented a full-blown gout attack. However, I always got a headache while taking this medicine (supposedly a very common side effect). Most recently, however, I experienced a headache so severe that I had to leave work. I thought it was the intra-dose withdrawal headache that I normally got from this medication, so I took another pill hoping I would feel better, Immediately I vomited.

September 25, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by phil 11:

I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid.

September 25, 2013 4:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision.

September 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Review by Angle Grinder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

When Gouts strikes I take 50mg 3 times a day at 4 hour intervals. I try to only take this medication for 2 days because I find the side effects to be a hindrance to my job. The main side effects I get are confusion and the inability to concentrate on tasks which means I'm like a zombie when taking these meds.

September 9, 2013 7:22 AM

Review by jp in philly (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my second gout attack in 3 years. It was just my ankle and my right leg and like the others here it was excruciating. I was this close to going to the emergency room. I toughed it out, I still don't know why, and went to the doctor the very next morning. She prescribed indomethacin and I only took 1 x 50 milligram pill. Within 90 minutes I could feel the pain easing. Within 2 hours I could walk easily. By that night I was so pain free I was even able to coach my son's baseball game. No side effects. No weird feelings. Best of all, I have 40 of these wonder pills left!

August 20, 2013 11:10 PM

Review by QBIX (taken for less than 1 month):

Have had Gout and was prescribed with indomethacin. Feelings after taking it, makes you want to go to sleep. Don't fight that feeling. Hit the sack and relax and when you wake up, You'll feel like a million dollar!

July 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by Jessinfl:

I woke up at 4 am with such intense pain in my right big toe I couldn't bare to have the bed covers touch it. It was the weekend, so I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gout and prescribed Indocin. Took it when I got home and about an hour later I had this odd feeling wash over me and the pain was instantaneously reduced. It was the strangest sensation I've ever experienced. It was like a switch was flipped and the pain was gone, it was that distinct. Really thankful it worked so well.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2013 9:55 AM

Review by unciru:

I get gout often. Nothing like indomethacin works as well. It does make me feel "loopey" kind of light headed. But I call it a miracle. Trust me, Gout is no fun.

May 22, 2013 3:31 PM

Review by StevieBloom (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin): After 3 days of initial Prednisone 20mg, the 1st day of Indocin I went from 8-2 on the pain scale! I was so grateful! And NO side effects!

May 19, 2013 12:03 AM

Review by junogirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gout is a very painful and debillitating condition and my doctor said it should be treated with high initial dose as soon as possible. So I take two or three 50mg capsules followed by two more in five hours then one or two in an additional five hours and -- the gout is out! As a bonus all other minor aches and pains go away as well. Wonderful ....no kidding!

September 16, 2012 10:21 PM

Review by 60srocker (taken for less than 1 month):

Indocin (indomethacin): Naproxen and Ibuprofen helped, but didn't stop my gout attack. Indocin made the attack go away in a day!

September 11, 2012 2:07 PM

Review by Morton87 (taken for less than 1 month):

I experienced my second bout of gout, in my right foot. I Was eating a lot of foods with a lot of protein, so be cautious everyone don't eat foods with a lot of protein. Like chicken, beans, lot's of meats. So when my right foot flared up, I went to see my doc. She told me it was from eating to much protein in my diet, so she prescribed me indomethacin 50mg three times daily. Within two days, my foot started feeling better. Within two weeks the gout cleared up. I would recommend this medication, to anyone with gout, or severe gout. Best of luck, I hope this helps someone.

July 26, 2012 1:09 PM