User Reviews for Indomethacin

Also known as: Indocin, Indocin IV, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Learn more about Indomethacin.

Indomethacin review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 51 medications used in the treatment of Gout, Acute.

Reviews for Indomethacin to treat Gout, Acute

Review by kloon (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): This is great a couple of hours and the pain was gone.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 7:54 AM
Review by 58thSPS (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

indomethacin: I obtained excellent results 90 minutes after my first dose. I had been experiencing acute joint pain in the foot and ankle area at fairly regular intervals for two or three years and my research lead to me to suspect gout. I called my Dr. during the most recent episode and shared my suspicions and I received marked relief in fairly short order. I have been somewhat hesitant to take anything other than my blood pressure meds since pre- and post-op bilateral THR in 2007 and 2009. I had been taking serious pain relievers for an extended period of time and did not and do not wish to resume the taking of heavy-duty pain medication but I am extremely thankful for the relief that has been afforded me. I am sixty.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 9:59 PM
Review by GL Jenkins (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): Good results for gout within a day or so of treatment. Relieved pain very rapidly, but a bit slower dealing with the swelling.

October 10, 2013 12:25 AM
Review by chuckcelt: User Rating:

indomethacin: Indomethacin is the only medicine that works for an acute gout flare up. Motrin and Naprosyn have never worked for me (since it first came out, docs are always trying to foist Naprosyn off on me. All it does is make me very irritated. either a side effect or the effect of no relief). I've also tried other NSAIDs with no relief. I'm prescribed 75mg three times a day for the first two days and then twice a day for two to three more and finally down to once a day for the remainder of the week to 10 days it takes to tame down the flare up.

October 3, 2013 9:40 AM
Review by aero guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

indomethacin: I am surprised no one has complained about the terrible headache side effects. For the past six months, I have taken indomethacin on 5 different occasions when I feel a severe gout attack coming. I would start with 100mg 3x a day for the first two days, followed by 50mg 3x a day for 8 days after. It always worked and prevented a full-blown gout attack. However, I always got a headache while taking this medicine (supposedly a very common side effect). Most recently, however, I experienced a headache so severe that I had to leave work. I thought it was the intra-dose withdrawal headache that I normally got from this medication, so I took another pill hoping I would feel better, Immediately I vomited.

September 25, 2013 1:25 PM
Review by phil 11: User Rating:

indomethacin: I have had gout for 30 years, done and tried everything, there is nothing to touch indomethacin. It works wonders. Also drink plenty of water and try coconut water, it cleans the kidneys out and uric acid.

September 25, 2013 4:47 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

indomethacin: I've dealt with joint pain from early teens into my forties from sports. But the pain in my ankle and big toe would almost bring tears to my eyes. I took 1 x 50 mg capsule and like the one person said 90 mins later ... Someone turned off the switch. And my knees even went from 8 to 3 on a pain scale 1-10. It's hard not to ramble on when you deal with a high level of pain for so many yrs, and you find something that works with such precision.

September 14, 2013 3:57 PM
Review by Angle Grinder (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

indomethacin: When Gouts strikes I take 50mg 3 times a day at 4 hour intervals. I try to only take this medication for 2 days because I find the side effects to be a hindrance to my job. The main side effects I get are confusion and the inability to concentrate on tasks which means I'm like a zombie when taking these meds.

September 9, 2013 7:22 AM
Review by jp in philly (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

indomethacin: I had my second gout attack in 3 years. It was just my ankle and my right leg and like the others here it was excruciating. I was this close to going to the emergency room. I toughed it out, I still don't know why, and went to the doctor the very next morning. She prescribed indomethacin and I only took 1 x 50 milligram pill. Within 90 minutes I could feel the pain easing. Within 2 hours I could walk easily. By that night I was so pain free I was even able to coach my son's baseball game. No side effects. No weird feelings. Best of all, I have 40 of these wonder pills left!

August 20, 2013 11:10 PM
Review by QBIX (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

indomethacin: Have had Gout and was prescribed with indomethacin. Feelings after taking it, makes you want to go to sleep. Don't fight that feeling. Hit the sack and relax and when you wake up, You'll feel like a million dollar!

July 8, 2013 2:42 PM
Review by Jessinfl: User Rating:

indomethacin: I woke up at 4 am with such intense pain in my right big toe I couldn't bare to have the bed covers touch it. It was the weekend, so I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gout and prescribed Indocin. Took it when I got home and about an hour later I had this odd feeling wash over me and the pain was instantaneously reduced. It was the strangest sensation I've ever experienced. It was like a switch was flipped and the pain was gone, it was that distinct. Really thankful it worked so well.

June 2, 2013 9:55 AM
Review by unciru: User Rating:

indomethacin: I get gout often. Nothing like indomethacin works as well. It does make me feel "loopey" kind of light headed. But I call it a miracle. Trust me, Gout is no fun.

May 22, 2013 3:31 PM
Review by StevieBloom (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): After 3 days of initial Prednisone 20mg, the 1st day of Indocin I went from 8-2 on the pain scale! I was so grateful! And NO side effects!

May 19, 2013 12:03 AM
Review by junogirl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

indomethacin: Gout is a very painful and debillitating condition and my doctor said it should be treated with high initial dose as soon as possible. So I take two or three 50mg capsules followed by two more in five hours then one or two in an additional five hours and -- the gout is out! As a bonus all other minor aches and pains go away as well. Wonderful ....no kidding!

September 16, 2012 10:21 PM
Review by 60srocker (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): Naproxen and Ibuprofen helped, but didn't stop my gout attack. Indocin made the attack go away in a day!

September 11, 2012 2:07 PM
Review by Morton87 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

indomethacin: I experienced my second bout of gout, in my right foot. I Was eating a lot of foods with a lot of protein, so be cautious everyone don't eat foods with a lot of protein. Like chicken, beans, lot's of meats. So when my right foot flared up, I went to see my doc. She told me it was from eating to much protein in my diet, so she prescribed me indomethacin 50mg three times daily. Within two days, my foot started feeling better. Within two weeks the gout cleared up. I would recommend this medication, to anyone with gout, or severe gout. Best of luck, I hope this helps someone.

July 26, 2012 1:09 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

indomethacin: Indomethacin for Gout, Acute: I have had acute attacks of gout in my right foot. So painful a sheet laying on my foot would be intolerable. If taken at the FIRST sign of pain, and not letting it get full blown I can cut the cycle off quickly (1 day). I also have shoulder pain in both shoulders. If I take Indomethacin every 3-4 days or so (1 75 mg capsule) I can eliminate this pain as well. Light headedness for about 8 hours is sometimes a side effect but nothing more. Almost my experience exactly. Took 1 75 mg capsule @ 7 am, another @ 11 am, feeling light headed, but pain is largely gone. Can walk "normal" again. The first several times I took, never really noticed the light headedness...becoming more pronounced now. No pain though!

April 12, 2012 2:33 PM
Review by rsownbey: User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): Knocks the pain out within a day or two.

February 15, 2012 2:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): This medicine took the pain away very quickly, but then I had ringing in my ear which was very annoying. I stopped taking because I could not take this side effect.

November 5, 2011 10:15 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

indomethacin: Took indomethacin and in about 1 1/2 days pain was has gone down tremendously, first time with gout. BUt had the runs and stomach cramps.

July 13, 2010 6:05 PM
Review by goutreview: User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): Indocin or indomethacin in my opinion is very effective in relieving gout symptoms. Taking 25mg at my first opportunity (the point where I convince myself that I did nothing to stub my toe and it is a gout attack) quickly reduces the pain. I have not experienced the stomach pains or paranoia that the previous post talks about. I always take this medicine with food and drink as directed by my physician.

June 21, 2010 5:25 PM
Review by husker: User Rating:

indomethacin: I get gout several times a year. I play a lot of tennis and I seem to get the gout in my toes, knees and wrist. I try and take this medicine as early as possible and usually I can get relief within 2 days. 50 mg 2-3 times a day. I do get light headed and I notice my blood pressure goes up about 10 points.

January 7, 2010 7:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Indocin (indomethacin): Gives good relief but gives stomach pains side effect and paranoia side effect if taken more than 3 days

December 19, 2009 1:00 AM
Review by Fruchno: User Rating:

indomethacin: Two years ago, I had my first bout with Gout, in my right foot. Last week, to my surprise, I had Gout, in my right wrist. This medicine relieved the swelling in 2 days, but I had severe runs with it, and an upset stomach.

December 4, 2009 1:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

indomethacin: Be careful with Indomethacin. It makes me very sick, nauseous, with a feeling of dizziness. It made me pass out 3 times and really worried me. I did an MRI, EKG, blood test to determine the cause of fainting and it turned out to be the indomethacin. The lesser of two evils, gout pain or getting sick to your stomach and fainting.

September 22, 2009 5:59 PM