User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 1 reviews 6 medications

Molluscum Contagiosum 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Imiquimod reviews 39 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Imiquimod

Review by Sheri Jeanette (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

imiquimod for Basal Cell Carcinoma: I first used this on my nose and cheek. I had a pretty strong reaction which caused my eye to swell a little. I checked with the PA and decided to continue the medicine despite the discomfort. Next, I used it on my forehead and chest. I did not have a reaction on the forehead, but had a strong reaction on my chest. By that, I mean, there were lots of red bumps which hurt and were itchy. I will stick with it though. It beats having more surgeries to remove the cancer.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by SusanJD (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: 26 spots came out the first week. A few were very big (larger than a pencil eraser) and they oozed like a greenish pus. BUT....only a tiny bit of itching during the healing weeks. Seemed to work great!

March 12, 2014 9:19 PM
Review by WorryWartLady: User Rating:

imiquimod for Human Papilloma Virus: My gynecologist offered me two choices cyrotherapy or the cream. I chose the instant freeze method because he said it was a faster alternative. Four of my small warts were frozen and the two large ones about the size of my middle finger nail, he suggested that I use the Aldara cream for it. The first application didn't burn at all but it itched like crazy around like 4am when I woke up and the same for the next application. I didn't see any results so I tried an ACV treatment for two hrs one day. It hurt like hell but I did notice a difference after that. The morning after my 3rd application I was literally able to wipe the warts away but it damaged my skin terribly in two places!

February 24, 2014 3:07 PM
Review by Reila: User Rating:

imiquimod for Human Papilloma Virus: I had some nasty warts at the vagina opening. they were really gross but, ironically, went undetected for a long long time. I used Imiquimod on them... in just two applications they were completely GONE. It was AMAZING. I did have an extremely harsh response to it, with a strong itching and irritation... not only in the vagina but in the general vulva area as well (guess my immune response to it was VERY effective). My boyfriend developed warts as well, on the pelvic area, and even though Imiquimod is working well for him, it has not been THAT effective. On the bright side, his warts are extremely tiny and difficult to see.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 9:52 AM
Review by Rachel-important to use vaseline! (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

imiquimod for Human Papilloma Virus: I developed genital warts while pregnant and was given this cream. When I first applied the cream it didn't itch, it only itched when I woke up at 4am to pee (pregnancy bladder) so I went ahead and washed it off after 5 hours every time I used it. I've only used it twice and my warts, I had a couple big ones and some small ones, are almost totally gone! The itching was bearable, but the key to it being bearable and it not driving you insane is using VASELINE! USE VASELINE WITH THIS PRODUCT! I applied vaseline to the skin around my warts to protect it from this powerful cream, and have no redness or irritation.

February 4, 2014 1:24 PM
Review by Max Moore: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I used Zyclara for 2 months, applying it for a week and then taking a week off. I have to say, it does work. I had many pre-cancer spots on my forehead, face and shoulders, that stayed there for years, despite annual freezing treatments. Zyclara cleared up these spots, and they seem to be gone permanently. As for side effects, it was a terrible experience, but only for the first couple of weeks. Basically, the first week of treatment was Hell, the second week was Heck, and the third and fourth weeks were Gosh and Golly. So, only the first week of treatment was painful. For that first week of treatment, it was like being hit with both a body-aching flu and a sleeping sickness at the same time.

January 23, 2014 10:45 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod): Have been using 6 days straight. No change in my daily activities, no apparent side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 19, 2014 2:24 PM
Review by Scott876123: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Have finished my first two week application and am about to start the second. I'm a 44 yo fair skinned male who rarely wore sunscreen as a kid and had my share of sunburns. Had a few Actinic Keratosis spots that kept coming back so doc put me on Zyclara for my forehead and cheeks. After reading the horror stories I was absolutely dreading it. To my delight the side effects were not bad at all, and I just had 4-5 spots flare up that looked like acne. I never post to things like this, but I hope some see this and know that not all people have the horrible effects of it. I can certainly sympathize with the ones who do though.

December 31, 2013 4:29 PM
Review by Sunburn girl: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I feel much better after reading the experiences of others, which are so like mine. I'm a 44 yr old Florida native who spent way too many hours in the sun. I had my first basal cell excised at age 26; several more removed through MOHs, and Actinic Keratosiss "frozen" off, since. I tried Carac on my chest last year with little response. Now on day 13 of using Zyclara on my chest and shoulders and -- wow. By day 2, I had spots appear & the number of red, swollen, itchy lesions has multiplied every day since. I do NOT think I would be brave enough to use Zyclara on my face, given my significant (and unsightly) response. It IS uncomfortable, but hopefully worth it. Fabric-covered cool packs, ibuprofen and Neutrogena Excema Essentials cream has helped.

November 14, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Jake Ford (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

imiquimod for Human Papilloma Virus: After only being on this medicine 3 weeks, I have noticed a huge difference as my warts are all gone except for one, but it's so tiny & shriveled now that I don't think it'll last much longer either. During the first week/week and a half of using the Aldara (Imiquimod) Cream, I didn't notice much after applying the cream except that the warts got very red & stood out even more. This was a little distressing, but within a few more days the area on and around the warts started flaking up & falling off sort of like a healing scab. There have been some side effects of redness, slight rash, & itching, but Gold Bond powder daily & neosporin occasionally really have helped. One more week left this round, & will use it again in a flash if neeeed.

November 12, 2013 11:49 AM
Review by ecsecs1949: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I am 64 and have a lot of what my Dr. describes as pre-cancerous areas. I have just completed my 2nd two regime, the first having been done a couple of years earlier. I did my head and the left side of my face about half way down my cheek-only wanted to look half horrible. I took more than two weeks between the 1st and 2nd cycle both times to give the areas more time to heal. Don't know the significance of this delay. I got the eruptions to the point that I called my Dr who said there was no problem and showed photos I took during the treatment when I next visited my Dr.- all normal. I did feel fluey, sore all over, and verging on sick to my stomach, a 200 mg IBU solved the problem-its a real miracle for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2013 10:37 PM
Review by Facetime: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I just finished the second phase of two weeks on Zyclara. It is doing its job for sure. Alot of open sores at the surface. Doctor put me on antibiotics as I have some infection going on. Also, using a antibiotic topical cream to help. It is painful but worth the time going through this as I have heard good results. I have had the Mohls surgery and also Efudex. Hope this clears it up for good.

April 20, 2013 5:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Aldara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Best medicine, the only treatment that worked on the dots on my arms that I suffered with for years. Just really expensive.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2013 11:14 PM
Review by Bob Moon: User Rating:

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: Used it for 3 weeks. 5 days on, 2 off, and so on. 1st week comes out like pimples, second they break, third they dry. Hurts, sure but not impossible. Works perfectly. Fever, drowsiness, headaches, but its worth it. I have used it for the last 5 years once a year for face skin problems.

February 19, 2013 10:11 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I am on week 5. I first used it on my arms with no result. So I decided to do my forehead. A few spots came out. Now I'm doing my chest area...major sun damage! I'm not going to lie, it itches and burns. If all these spots are pre-cancer cells, then its definitely worth a few weeks of pain and discomfort! I just told my co-workers what I was doing so I didn't feel the need to "cover-up". Actually feels better not to have clothes rub on it. I take Advil for the pain. If only I could go back in time and tell myself to get out of the tanning beds, its not worth it!

February 13, 2013 8:10 PM
Review by AblesChapin (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Have used this for one week but began to have serious side-effects including hives all over my back, severe diarrhea, terrible cold/flu, headache, joint soreness. I do have an autoimmune disorder (endometriosis and Raynaund's) and the medication has warnings for people with autoimmune disorders so that may be why I am having such an adverse reaction. Will see doctor tomorrow to learn if I should switch to Efudex maybe but will probably look into the genetic testing for DPD before I start that one.

January 20, 2013 9:31 AM
Review by DaveinTexas: User Rating:

Aldara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Was involved in a clinical trial for Aldara 3.75% three years ago. Documented 51 Actinic Keratosis lesions on face and forehead. Two treatments, six weeks in between. Severe reaction occurred on first round, including flu-like symptoms. Also had less reaction on second treatment. Follow-up exam found NO Actinic Keratosis sites. One year follow up documented NO recurrence! I'm a fan! This is a miracle cure!

January 17, 2013 12:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: After I viewed some web face pics of others, I felt better about my treatment because this medicine will tear your face up. It was a lot of trouble explaining to most I came in contact with the treatment plan, and the looks on their faces were priceless. But, after a couple of months I know of 3 more people who also chose the treatment after seeing the results. One of them is a doctor and this is his statement to me, "you didn't tell me about the horrible flu symptoms, " for which I replied, "you didn't ask."

December 9, 2012 10:59 AM
Review by Spike123456: User Rating:

imiquimod for Human Papilloma Virus: This cream really is a miracle. The first few times I used it on my warts, I did not pay attention to ONLY putting it on the warts, I applied it to the general area and the itching was unbearable. But after paying closer attention to my application, my warts have very noticeably gotten smaller or disappeared after only two weeks of treatment. My side effects were itching, slight sting when applying, slight swelling, and just some over all discomfort. But the side effects were nothing compared to being on a wart free track!

October 25, 2012 4:29 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

imiquimod for Basal Cell Carcinoma: Using this for basal call carcinoma treatment. Used it for a couple of small areas initially with little problems. Have been using it on a larger spot now, and have developed quite significant flu like symptoms. Have tried to push through them, but they're getting worse to the point of needing to stop the cream. Extremely fatigued and achy, which is just not me. I work out an hour plus several days a week and am only able to struggle through maybe a half work out. It also caused a lot of redness and sores at the site of use, but I can manage that. The good news is it does seem to work on the basal cells.

August 15, 2012 7:44 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I took Zyclara for the first time a year ago at the age of 34 after my doctor froze off 3 actinic keratosis. Actinic keratosis on my nose is back, also I still have red spots where lesions were during the initial treatment. Doctor says I need another round to finish off the damage and as a last best hope to avoid having to surgically remove the spot on my nose. I have fair skin and tons of sun damage (including 2nd degree burns over 20% of my body). My doctor initially recommended that I take 2 months off for the treatment, this time I will take her advice! I found the treatment too intense to work through due to pain and fatigue. Moisturizing the area with petroleum jelly and a topical anesthetic and antimicrobial (neosporin or polysporin) helped a lot!

January 19, 2012 10:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldara (imiquimod) for Condylomata Acuminata: This works well. It takes time, but if you follow the instructions precisely the warts get smaller and smaller until they're gone. No scar, no freezing or drying, no acid. The warts just shrink until they're gone. Less side effects than Condylox. It does not affect healthy skin like Condylox does.

November 26, 2011 12:21 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Took for 9 days and developed terrible flu like symptoms -- doctor said to stop. Still having symptoms several days later. The medicine did bring out keratosis spots but not worth the side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 21, 2011 9:31 AM
Review by 58andred: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: My bald head, forehead, and face have the actinic keratosis spots to be treated. I tried one laser peel and it did well for about 6 months. It was painful and the recovery was as well. I tried Efudex cream several times and had some success. I am on the Zyclara now for 7 days with just some itching, redness and minor swelling. I made the mistake of being in the sun for 5 hours on the sixth day and had to skip the treatment one night due to some pain. Some sores have began to appear like old zits. It wont be pretty for several weeks but it should be worth it to avoid cancer.

August 21, 2011 10:34 PM
Review by Carol Ann 2: User Rating:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I will give this medicine a higher rating perhaps when I finish the treatment. At this point (day 5 in the first round), I have muscle pain, lethargy and a dull headache. I feel like I have a mild virus. I have eruptions - red, itchy bumps - but that doesn't bother me as it means the medicines is working and that's exactly what I want. It will be worth it to be rid of precancerous cells on my forehead and hands. But there are some side effects and they seem to vary person to person. For me they are manageable.

August 9, 2011 10:09 AM

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here