User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 2 reviews 6 medications

7.5
Molluscum Contagiosum 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Imiquimod reviews 55 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Condylomata Acuminata: I had numerous cryotherapy treatments and used Condyline paint which both worked but the warts always came back. My doc prescribed Imiquimod as a last resort and it worked marvellously. The warts had almost completely disappeared after two weeks and I had none of the pain, burning or itching I had with condyline. After that the doc said twice weekly would be enough and after six weeks I was completely clear.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 7:16 PM

Review by Sophie Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: Got rid of my basal cell carcinoma, no scarring.

March 9, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by K94r:

For Human Papilloma Virus: I started trying with home remedies to get rid of warts (Acv) but saw no results. When I was prescribed imiqumod I was not very diligent about applications but saw some small results. However, I refilled my prescription and began to follow the 3 day a week regimen and after 3 weeks even the largest warts have subsided. There was some intense irritation (reason for the 9 out of 10) but as long as it is only applied where needed and washed well, the results are great!

February 6, 2015 11:06 PM

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: I was prescribed Aldara for internal gw. When I finally found a doctor to acknowledge that they existed internally, they were bad. They almost looked like fingers. I say this to make the point that I had a serious case of them. I was put on Aldara for three times a week until 16 weeks. This was the most painful experience I have ever had in my life. I cried in pain for the first several weeks. The itching was almost unbearable in and of itself. I also got very severe ulcers around the treatment sight. I found it helpful to take an allergy pill for the itching and melatonin to help me to sleep with the pain. All that being said, after 16 weeks my gw problem was 90 percent gone.I was given another month's worth for the last remaining few.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 1:20 AM

Review by GW GW:

For Human Papilloma Virus: Initially I was worried that this treatment wasn't working because I didn't see immediate results after the first 2 applications. After a week, however, I saw significant reductions in the size of my warts. And now at week 3 you can barely see anything at all. At first I was very distressed about the extreme side effects I had (severe itchiness, erythema, some bleeding), which were very concerning to me. They did subside, however, by the 4th or 5th application of Aldara. My advice would be to not give up! Yes, it is very itchy and somewhat painful with the first few applications but the side effects do subside and the effects are significant. Just be patient and you will see results.

January 31, 2015 1:38 AM

Review by windfalls:

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: Was instructed to use Imiquimod only three times a week for basal cell on my nose. Wait until sores appeared and then resolved. Use for three months. There were no negative side effects and it worked well. I am using cream again on another spot on my face and I believe the cancer has disappeared. Will see Dr. in two weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 12:25 AM

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: 2 weeks ago I thought my life was over with the diagnosis. My doctor let me know I am not alone and over 70% of people have human papilloma virus, its just a matter of who's body's can fight off the warts developing or not. I have been using Aldara for 2 weeks and have only minor side effects like a slight itching which not sure if just my brain thinking its bad or if it was. Apply to only the spots that need. I almost think those who complain of unreal side effects slathered this on without reading directions. The only other side effect which was odd was the first night I applied my heart rate was 100 beats per minute which was strange. Lesions have shrunk in size ten folds. I'm just super pleased. I feel bad for those who cannot afford Aldara.

December 8, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by L. Bridgeforth (taken for less than 1 month):

For Human Papilloma Virus: It works but it hurts! This is my fourth day using it and I'm seeing results. First 3 days it itched and made the warts more pronounced and sore (My Dr. told me to use it every day and not 3 times a week.). Today I've noticed significant changes. Large cluster of about 4 is gone but the skin is really irritated. I think there's like 3 left but they're not that big. I'm so sore but at least they're going away. Suggestions: Take a Benadryl before you apply the cream. Decrease the itching and it'll knock you out. Protect your skin with Vaseline. Get some sterile bandages to cover your "healing" areas between applications because you will have some....drainage...I guess that's the right word.

November 16, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Wart free, Finally! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Human Papilloma Virus: I had hundreds of warts all over me. I was advised to use this cream despite the fact that its use on a large scale hadn't been tested. I'll admit that it took lots of packets to complete the whole treatment, but in four months, every single wart was completely gone. There wasn't a single spot left. This cream worked where every other treatment, including surgery, did not.

November 10, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by Effective!:

For Human Papilloma Virus: I had warts a few years back and used the cream. They recently reappeared but I'm using the cream again. It was very effective the first time around. I didn't have to use it for that long before seeing improvements! Hoping for a similar experience this time around.

September 3, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Elenaa:

For Human Papilloma Virus: For all people who have genital warts my only advice is: Use Aldara cream it's amazing I had 3 warts one big and 2 small ones I went to see the gynecologist she gave me this cream after 3 application everything is gone I don't have anymore however I still have some of them inside that's what the pap smear shows but the inside ones they need different therapy. Aldara cleared all my outside warts in one week, don't hesitate use it but you need to check with your doctor if you have other warts inside.

August 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Review by Breathing Easier (taken for less than 1 month):

For Human Papilloma Virus: I was very nervous using this reading what other people have experienced with side effects. I decided to try it under advisement from my gynecologist. I have 4 small warts. One on my labia, one just inside of it, 2 around my anus. I've been using imiquimod for about 10 days, 3 times a week, 6 hours at a time. In that time I have seen SIGNIFICANT changes in the 2 on my vaginal area. They are almost completely gone. The other two are being a little more stubborn. I wanted to share some good comments about this medication after being so worried about it myself before. Zero skin irritation. Have had some "flu-like" symptoms, but nothing unbearable. I'm very happy to see these "aliens" shrink away. Try it before you knock it!

July 4, 2014 8:57 PM

Review by luckysofar (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: 4 days in on first 2 weeks. Using on arms and face. Put vaseline on lips, under eyes and in nostrils to protect from cream. So far no reaction at all. I know I have many pre cancer and thought I would light up like a Christmas tree but so far so good. Maybe it's coming but time will tell.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by RamonaLea (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I have only used Zyclara for 3 nights, but last night after I applied it to my face and neck, I started coughing and filling funny in my throat. It only lasted about 20 minutes, but will try again tonight and see if I have the same reaction. List of side effects did list this condition. I want to love this cream but am afraid I may have to quit it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Anny. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Human Papilloma Virus: I have some tiny genital warts at on the inner lips of my vagina, I was so scared to apply this cream! Then I decided to look at the reviews on this website! .. Let me tell you, if you do have genital warts, apply this cream as soon as you get it. My warts are still there, but I do see progress. First time I applied it I was itching like crazy, but I guess that was just my body adjusting to it. After that, today will be my 4th day applying it & nothing wrong has happened! Hopefully the process goes by quickly!!

May 15, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Zyclara user (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Just to let people know there are some side effects. I got fatigue, swollen and sore lymph nodes, constant thirst, and I don't ever have anything like that happen usually I am a very healthy person so it surprised me. I used Carac about ten yrs ago and didn't have any side effects.

May 8, 2014 6:56 PM

Review by Sheri Jeanette (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: I first used this on my nose and cheek. I had a pretty strong reaction which caused my eye to swell a little. I checked with the PA and decided to continue the medicine despite the discomfort. Next, I used it on my forehead and chest. I did not have a reaction on the forehead, but had a strong reaction on my chest. By that, I mean, there were lots of red bumps which hurt and were itchy. I will stick with it though. It beats having more surgeries to remove the cancer.

April 6, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by SusanJD (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: 26 spots came out the first week. A few were very big (larger than a pencil eraser) and they oozed like a greenish pus. BUT....only a tiny bit of itching during the healing weeks. Seemed to work great!

March 12, 2014 9:19 PM

Review by WorryWartLady:

For Human Papilloma Virus: My gynecologist offered me two choices cyrotherapy or the cream. I chose the instant freeze method because he said it was a faster alternative. Four of my small warts were frozen and the two large ones about the size of my middle finger nail, he suggested that I use the Aldara cream for it. The first application didn't burn at all but it itched like crazy around like 4am when I woke up and the same for the next application. I didn't see any results so I tried an ACV treatment for two hrs one day. It hurt like hell but I did notice a difference after that. The morning after my 3rd application I was literally able to wipe the warts away but it damaged my skin terribly in two places!

February 24, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by Reila:

For Human Papilloma Virus: I had some nasty warts at the vagina opening. they were really gross but, ironically, went undetected for a long long time. I used Imiquimod on them... in just two applications they were completely GONE. It was AMAZING. I did have an extremely harsh response to it, with a strong itching and irritation... not only in the vagina but in the general vulva area as well (guess my immune response to it was VERY effective). My boyfriend developed warts as well, on the pelvic area, and even though Imiquimod is working well for him, it has not been THAT effective. On the bright side, his warts are extremely tiny and difficult to see.

February 13, 2014 9:52 AM

Review by Rachel-important to use vaseline! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Human Papilloma Virus: I developed genital warts while pregnant and was given this cream. When I first applied the cream it didn't itch, it only itched when I woke up at 4am to pee (pregnancy bladder) so I went ahead and washed it off after 5 hours every time I used it. I've only used it twice and my warts, I had a couple big ones and some small ones, are almost totally gone! The itching was bearable, but the key to it being bearable and it not driving you insane is using VASELINE! USE VASELINE WITH THIS PRODUCT! I applied vaseline to the skin around my warts to protect it from this powerful cream, and have no redness or irritation.

February 4, 2014 1:24 PM

Review by Max Moore:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I used Zyclara for 2 months, applying it for a week and then taking a week off. I have to say, it does work. I had many pre-cancer spots on my forehead, face and shoulders, that stayed there for years, despite annual freezing treatments. Zyclara cleared up these spots, and they seem to be gone permanently. As for side effects, it was a terrible experience, but only for the first couple of weeks. Basically, the first week of treatment was Hell, the second week was Heck, and the third and fourth weeks were Gosh and Golly. So, only the first week of treatment was painful. For that first week of treatment, it was like being hit with both a body-aching flu and a sleeping sickness at the same time.

January 23, 2014 10:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyclara (imiquimod) for : Have been using 6 days straight. No change in my daily activities, no apparent side effects.

January 19, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Scott876123:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: Have finished my first two week application and am about to start the second. I'm a 44 yo fair skinned male who rarely wore sunscreen as a kid and had my share of sunburns. Had a few Actinic Keratosis spots that kept coming back so doc put me on Zyclara for my forehead and cheeks. After reading the horror stories I was absolutely dreading it. To my delight the side effects were not bad at all, and I just had 4-5 spots flare up that looked like acne. I never post to things like this, but I hope some see this and know that not all people have the horrible effects of it. I can certainly sympathize with the ones who do though.

December 31, 2013 4:29 PM

Review by Sunburn girl:

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: I feel much better after reading the experiences of others, which are so like mine. I'm a 44 yr old Florida native who spent way too many hours in the sun. I had my first basal cell excised at age 26; several more removed through MOHs, and Actinic Keratosiss "frozen" off, since. I tried Carac on my chest last year with little response. Now on day 13 of using Zyclara on my chest and shoulders and -- wow. By day 2, I had spots appear & the number of red, swollen, itchy lesions has multiplied every day since. I do NOT think I would be brave enough to use Zyclara on my face, given my significant (and unsightly) response. It IS uncomfortable, but hopefully worth it. Fabric-covered cool packs, ibuprofen and Neutrogena Excema Essentials cream has helped.

November 14, 2013 4:28 PM