User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 3 reviews 6 medications

Human Papilloma Virus 69 reviews 11 medications

Keratosis 37 reviews 16 medications

7.4
Basal Cell Carcinoma 22 reviews 8 medications

7.3
Summary of Imiquimod reviews 131 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I guess it is effective, but not pleasant. My first experience was on my forearm - it quickly started to look like a nasty cigarette burn. Which I guess is good because you want your body to "react" to the cream...it DID! But it looked horrible - and you're not supposed to cover it so it can be embarrassing because it looks like something you just keep picking at for WEEKS. I have lots of freckles and when it healed it was completely white - so I guess better than an actual scar but it is quite obvious against the other freckles, nonetheless. I'm going to try "needling" to better distribute melanin cells back to that white area. I'm just getting ready to start on a small spot near my ankle which should be much less noticeable,"

thisisaverystupidwaytohavetoid May 26, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Was tested by my local health department and received a letter back saying I had abnormal pap with "precancerous cells", visited my normal gyno and come to find out I was infected with hpv on my cervix and also had developed a small patch of gws on the opening to my vagina and my perineum which just looked like small razor burn and didn't come up til after shaving. I was put on Aldara cream and I have only been through about 5 applications of the cream and my gws are already gone. It is very costly if your insurance doesn't work, and it does make you pretty dry and itchy, but I would recommend it to anyone fighting gws from hpv."

anongirl22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I've been using Aldara cream for 2 weeks now and at first thought I was lucky as j had no side effects however the past 4 days have been awful. The cream has left me bed stricken with back pain chest pain and nausea, even my eyes ache. I have no appetite and I'm constantly dizzy. I had to bathe in salt water after scratching myself raw in my sleep I couldn't even wipe after a wee. However the warts do seem to be going away, try and take lysine capsules aswell. I am lucky to be in the uk where the cream is free for me I'm just hoping I have the will power to finish the course P.s don't have sex the itching after is unbearable"

JEMcd (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm female, been battling these things on and off for a few years. Most of them have been on my rear. Started immiquimod and they seemed to get worse, even popping up on my front. I did every other day for 2 months then cut back to every 3-4 days. Yes, it irritates your skin. I also introduced a zinc 50 mg, n-acetyl cysteine 600 mg, bio align wellness formula and vitamin d3 5000 iu (all from vitamin world for under $50). I didn't change my diet, drinking, etc. It FINALLY WORKED! About 10-12 weeks in and completely gone. It all seemed to get better right toward the end. STICK TO IT!! You can use for up to 16 weeks. I also split up the packets to reduce the cost. You can get atleast 2 uses per packet."

anonymous80 April 27, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I had really bad expectations when I started to read reviews about this medication. then i experienced the side effects that came with it. however, the medicine worked for me after 4 1/2 weeks. I had big cluster on my inner thigh, half the size of my pinky fingernail. it was embarrassing. I was ashamed and never sought treatment. I eventually saw a Dr and she gave me imiquimod. twelve little packs cost me around $200. I only used three so I have extra for future outbreaks. I have two tips. One, make sure to only put the cream on the wart. two, make sure that you wash the cream off after 6-8 hours. there will be discomfort at times but its manageable."

John__ April 24, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I'm in the UK and onto week 3. I have to apply to a bcc on my chest, but big boils and spots have developed which are very itchy and weepy suggesting there were other areas on my chest which are needing treatment too. I have wanted to stop, as sometimes the itch is so intense and my clothing sticks, but after a positive conversation with a specialist nurse I am of course continuing. I have had the odd flu-y kind of day, and today I am so tired, when I shouldn't be, so I am putting that down to the Aldara cream."

Noddy15 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I just found out in September 2015 that I have HPV, married finding out my husband had it from a previous gf, 6 months prior to us being together. I have had 2 cryo precedures and now using aldera cream MWF. It burns and very uncomfortable, but it does work."

Used April 20, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I am a 38 years old male and I had genital warts for about a year. I tried all kind of pharmacy, on line and home remedies (freezing, formula w, cider vinegar) and burned the surface but didn't reach good results and before i started aldara already had 3 clusters of 3 warts, some already big. The doctor said, although not what is in the medicine description, to use each package more than one time and put in the freezer. I used small amounts 3 times a week (a package per week). After one week the discomfort began. After 4 weeks the warts decreased to half the size but at the 5th week I had to interrupt because I could not even seat. But all warts disappeared (can reappear) and only used half a package. Use little quantities, is strong."

38 male GW (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I'm about to use imiquimod for the second time. The first was for a spot on my right clavicle (shoulder area). This time it's my forehead (three spots). I am not looking forward to this experience as it's my face and a larger area; however, it will be better then have multiple excision and scarring."

Ginger74 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I had huge warts on my big toes and bottom of my soles for years, tried freezing, laser, to no avail. gave up except to just keep cutting it all down and keeping it all bandaged. Tried 100% salicylic acid which eventually did burn off a couple layers of skin which helped my feet clear up the "leather foot" part, and left the warts clearly defined. Researched newer immunological treatments and found a doctor who started me on 5% imiquimod. Within 6 weeks they were down by 50%, VERY CLEARLY RECEEDING! YEA!!! Was worried that i might have to get painful injections but this stuff seems to work! Once a week i still cut the dead tissue off, but i am really happy so far!!!! Been on it 6 weeks so far, and still going!"

Pete (last name withheld) March 30, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This stuff works for GW. I was diagnosed about three months ago and I tried acid 3x before to burn them off. It seem like it irritated them and more would pop up. Started using this cream 3 weeks ago on MWF nights and all my GW are gone!!! Other things I think helped was taking an immune system booster supplement, drinking water an rubbing coconut oil for the in between days (Tues.Thur.) for the itching and the dryness that the cream causes... All together I'm pleased with the results and the side effects weren't any worst than the regular itch that you get from General warts.. Sticking with this routine really helped me and I hope this is helpful to someone else. GW are not forever!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Recently I have been told I have hpv because of the warts I gotten. The warts were extremely small but noticeable. The doctor gave me zydara I believe that's what it's called. It worked but in the process I was burning so bad. Come to find out I burned my lips and it became swollen, it's so hard to walk please be careful."

Vanessa2 March 22, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I'm in my third week of Imiquimod applying to 5 bcc's on arms, forehead and back 5 days a week. At this point 3 of them are very red and crusty and sort of beginning to scale or sluff off which I think is good. Two of them aren't responding at all -- I'm sort of puzzled about that. The one on the forehead which had been a pale color is now bright red; hopefully it will crust up and sluff off soon. The side effects are awful the first few days after beginning the 5-day course of treatment -- really terrible joint and muscle aches and headache. I almost wanted to stop treatment, but remembered how many surgeries I would have to have and so decided to "tough it out" as I've already had approx. 20 skin cancers removed surgically."

Florida Grandma (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I had about 13 small warts around my anus and opening to the vagina. I was prescribed Aldara (Imiquimod) and told it would fight the virus from within and was better than freezing them off. My doctor had said that it could possibly take up to three months to work. Well, only two applications in and theyre almost gone! I cannot believe they are disappearing so quickly. I had read many horror stories about the side effects, itching, sores, etc. My own experience is that, yes, it does get very itchy ( I resisted the urge to scratch) but that itch lasted for approx. an hour and then dies down. I had no burning sensation but i guess it depends on the individual. Overall, I am thrilled with the product. The expense was worth it."

Anon145 March 13, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "hi im using aldana and now its my 4thd day using this i hope its work but i feel in side is swolling and reddish and a little bit itchy in my labia i have also i hope it works"

amirahhhhh March 8, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I am a female, 25. I made a mistake and had unprotected sex with two guys back in November. I found the first tiny warts by the end of December. After 5 weeks they became medium size and that's when I started worrying. I thought my sexual life was over. I went to see the doctor and she prescribed Aldara. It has been only a week but I already see them shrink. They itch, burn and hurt but I can tolerate it. If it's really bad, I apply a herbal ointment which is good for healing wounds and burns. If it's dry, I apply the soothing cream for intimate care. They really help. I apply very small amount of Aldara only on the affected area. I had a sex the day after applying and it didn't cause significant discomfort or pain."

Lina90 February 18, 2016

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "I am on day 11 of a 14 day cycle and the first week I experienced flu like symptoms i.e., achy muscles, fatigue & head aches. My only side effect now is a slight headache. I am using Zyclara on my face (temples, forehead and cheek) and my face is looking pretty ugly right now. It looks like an awful outbreak of acne and is very raw. I have more than a few scabs and a lot of redness where I have been applying the cream. It is very itchy and tender and to be honest, while I am still in the middle of all of this, I have questioned whether I would do it again. I guess it would be better to answer that in a couple of weeks. I have wanted to stop using it but it is like swimming half way across a lake. I think I will be happy in a couple of weeks"

Esteban Yan February 13, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have 4 to 5 days using the imiquimod cream. The first days that I start using it, it was working pretty good and without pain the cream even remove some of my flat warts that I have. But now it's very painful and cannot walk, it burns when I'm going to take shower or wipe in that area ... Now because I probably use to Much in the area I wasn't suppose to be applying the imiquimod cream on. some part of my inner vagina swell "

Daniela29 February 4, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I've just finished week 2 for 4 bcc. I use Aldara 5 times a week. The bcc on my neck and arm are going well. The one on my chest is ulcerated so my doctor said to have 4 days off instead of 2. The one just above my lip is really ugly. It was quite small but now is huge and won't stop bleeding. Doctor said at least a week off for that one. I feel quite well so far-just itchy and maybe a bit tired. I'll update again in another 2 weeks."

Brigi (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have been given aldara cream to use mon,wed, Fri nights on my second week now and oh boy is it painful the day after treatment when I go to the loo and wipe. It looks like it's working tho so will persevere with it for the full month and see how it goes."

jackojacko (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Hi, im a male, 23 yo. Was fighting with warts in my perineum area for almost 2 years. I tried to burn them in my home with a pc air duster (if you sprayed it upside down it sprays a very cold subtance, like nitrogen but weaker) and it works but it can give you marks and after some time the warts grew again. I was really scared so i tried imiquimod (I'm from Peru, here you can find it with the name imimore). I applied a really tiny amount of cream before sleeping 3x a week for like 12 weeks and didn't notice any improvement, so I switch to apply every day and it magically start working, my skin get a little irritated and itched a bit but never had pain or drastic side effects. Now its been 16 weeks and I'm clean! MY ADVISE, BE PATIENT"

420user (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Have used imiquimod several times for various basal cell cancers on face and chest. I treat every other day as prescribed. On face, there can be significant pain from local swelling but the treatments do work. No pain on chest. As an alternative to surgery, which I've had a few times, I'll take the soreness. One sachet can last several treatments. I break off the end of a Q-tip and use the blunt end to apply. Site is small enough so that one packet lasts about four or five applications. I apply and let it absorb/dry in the morning before work. I apply the drug for about four weeks let the site finish healing and then go back to the dermotologist."

FairSkin (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 18, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm 18. I just found out three days ago. I'm suspecting I have had it for over a year. If you have this and you don't tell your girlfriend or the person you are sleeping with. You are a total disgrace. This guy has given it to so many other people. And I'm suspecting they have absolutely no clue. I just started using the medicine. It's irritated right now. I've been using the whole packet. No one has told me how to use it. So I came here to find out. Some are saying they have used the whole packet and some say they used a little. If the pain doesn't slow down. I'm going to start using only a little bit. I haven't notice anything going away or getting smaller. But hopefully it will start working.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

Aldara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "Actinic keratosis lesions on forearms only ... but a nasty case at any rate. Dermatologist put me on a regimen of Aldara cream and Salicylic Acid. The experience during the 4 months of Aldara treatment was not particularly pleasant: worst of all being that it made the Keratosis lesions much worse in terms of acute redness and inflamation and quite distressing vanity-wise. There was some headaches, some fatigue, but that only lasted 2 weeks or so. After that, no side affects worth bothering about. But I must admit I almost stopped using it during the period of unsightliness. But I didn't. And I am very glad I didn't! The Dermatologist took me off the Aldara regimen after 4 months and told me to just keep on using the salicylic acid. Now, after 5 months the Keratosis lesions are completely gone, leaving quite smooth new skin. The area is still a little pinkish compared to normal sin colour, but Doctor said that that will disappear once the healing time has done it's work. Over all success I would say. For myself Aldara was a godsend."

nongkhai (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2016

For Human Papilloma Virus: "After having liquid nitrogen treatment every week for six months I gave up and lived with the warts on my bottom for two years. Then I decided to go back and was given Aldara cream. When the doc examined me he counted 11 warts. After four weeks he examined me again and found three warts and gave me another months supply of cream. Two weeks later I think I have one wart that has shrunk so I expect that will disappear very soon. The cream has been very painful and after using it for over a month I find it difficult to use the toilet or wipe down there. Despite the pain I'm glad I was given this cream, when I stop using it the inflammation should clear up and hopefully the warts will be gone for good."

Painful but works (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016