User Reviews for Ibandronate

Also known as: Boniva

Learn more about Ibandronate.

Osteoporosis 18 reviews 190 medications

5.6
Prevention of Osteoporosis 3 reviews 64 medications

3.7
Summary of Ibandronate reviews 21 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Ibandronate

Review by soldiermom11 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I had bad osteoporosis and the doctor put me on Boniva and 2 years later the osteoporosis and osteopenia was almost gone! In some places it was. I loved this medicine but since I lost my job and my insurance and can no longer take it. The discount insurance I have doesn't cover brand names or even anything similar. I am a couple of years away from Medicare so I hope I can start back again then. I had absolutely no side effects other than it cured me!

September 10, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by TriDanielFT:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Got severe side-effect from taking Boniva (150mg monthly) for 3 months. Crippling, debilitating bone-joint pain at the hip. Very stiff sensation at the chest sternum and ribs. Went to Urgent Care twice. Flat on bed for 2 months with intense pain and prescribed pain killers (hydrocodone/Dilaudid, prednisone, etc.) have no effect. Discontinue taking Boniva and the pain subsides after three months. Three doctors don't believe it is the Boniva side effect until the fourth MD specialist, a rheumatologist recognizes the Boniva side effect symptoms after a long differential diagnostic (she also has two previous patients with similar symptoms after taking Boniva).

August 30, 2013 7:04 AM

Review by Penster (taken for less than 1 month):

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I have spontaneous necrosis of the knee. Have only had one dose of I.V. Boniva so far (10 days ago) but I wanted to post something positive on this site because I found most of the reviews to be very disheartening when I read them prior to my infusion. I experienced zero side-effects after I received the infusion. I kept expecting something to happen but I was perfectly fine. Obviously it is too soon to tell whether it will help my condition, but I am keeping a positive outlook.

June 15, 2013 1:23 PM

Review by kim h:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Have had severe muscle pain in my upper thighs that lasts for 3 or 4 days after taking my monthly dose. Also have heartburn.

April 3, 2013 5:55 PM

Review by Imagemax (taken for less than 1 month):

Boniva (ibandronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: I took my first dose of Bonita 150mgs and woke up the next day with severe headache and abdominal spasms. I feel exhausted, almost flu like. I'm checking with my Dr. Now since today is the 2nd day of the same symptoms.

February 14, 2013 9:24 AM

Review by Kymare:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Have been taking Boniva for about 8 months. I thought all was well but twice since starting a monthly dose, I have had 2 episodes of severe rash and swelling on my face. The second time it happened I had 2 days of fever and back pain. As soon as the fever broke, the rash appeared. I went to the ER and next day to a specialist, it was that bad. Will have to discontinue use .

January 25, 2013 3:14 AM

Review by lafera:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Tried weekly Boniva and had severe flu symptoms each time and had to stop taking it. That was approximately 1 yr ago. Now taking once monthly. Thought it was okay no flu but having diarrhea and pain in upper thigh after taking twice. Just had 3rd one yesterday and diarrhea is bad.

December 18, 2012 8:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I like the 1-month convenience, well tolerated...my medicine of choice!

September 22, 2012 6:34 AM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I had no side effects and I've been taking Boniva for 1 1/2 years. I do wish there was medicine for my severe bone loss that doesn't cost so much.

July 15, 2011 4:31 PM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: I've been on Boniva for 5 years, and my bone density has not improved at all. I don't know if it would have been worse without it, but my scores have not improved. And now I'm beginning to read that you shouldn't be on Boniva for more than 5 years.

March 22, 2011 8:14 PM

For Osteoporosis: After 24 hours of taking Boniva 150 mg I started experiencing severe flu like symptoms with fever and extreme pain in my bones and joints.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2010 1:04 PM

Review by A.R.:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I used Boniva I.V. once. Had flu like symptoms, headache, runny nose, watery eyes, chest pain and achy hips. Wont take it again!

March 15, 2010 9:27 PM

Review by snickies:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I have experienced flu symtoms within the first 48 hours, and severe joint and bone pain. I feel much worse than before I started taking Boniva.

December 29, 2009 10:26 AM

Review by Gramma Lanna:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: All of the osteoporosis medicines have caused horrible heartburn and now esophagus complication.

August 13, 2009 1:30 PM

Review by veewee5:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Today I received the results of my bone density test after being on Boniva for two years. I am delighted to say that there is a reversal of my osteoporosis. Thank you, Boniva!

June 19, 2009 7:34 PM

Review by outastep99:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I have used the drug for 2 years and there has been a significant increase in my BMD. My T score went from 2.7 to 2.0 using the once a month pill coupled with daily Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements.

May 12, 2009 9:21 PM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: I have been on Boniva for 2 years and so far my bone density scans have not shown an improvement. For the past year, my physician has added a prescription weekly dose of Vitamin D, we are hoping that makes a difference. Should know the results within 2 weeks. Boniva has been easy to take just once a month, and the coupons (discount offered) by the company have been extremely helpful.

April 24, 2009 8:44 PM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: BONIVA is the only drug that has improved my T-Scores since I've began my DXA scans over 4 years ago.

April 21, 2009 1:30 AM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Boniva has helped me with my t-score of 3. 8 which is very severe. I was percribed the drug nurtin for migraine headaches which drained calcium from bones. Boniva i. V has worked over one year too build bones. Mild side effect.

February 27, 2009 4:21 AM

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: I had flu like symptoms after taking Boniva. Be aware of this side effect.

December 3, 2008 10:26 AM

Review by wanda knoll:

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: Boniva has work wonders for me. It is the first time my bone density has improved in 4 years.

November 21, 2008 11:07 AM