User Reviews for Mucinex

Learn more about Mucinex.

Mucinex Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 917 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Mucinex to treat Cough

"I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015

"Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm."

Anonymous January 4, 2015

"My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness."

agrum December 31, 2014

"I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this."

Anonymous October 20, 2014

"After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough."

jimbob 97683 October 15, 2014

"The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours."

Dilli (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

"I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier."

Sickgranny June 9, 2013

"Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster."

Lar999 June 7, 2013

"Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you."

sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2013

"I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis."

Grateful in Fremont March 4, 2012

"About and hour and a half after taking one Mucinex DM I developed severe dizziness, drowsiness, bad intestinal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea that recurred over a period of 2 hours. It was the only medication in my system."

Anonymous November 7, 2011

"I took one tablet 12 hours ago and have been feeling very sick ever since. My nose is running, coughing and feeling terrible as if I had a bad cold. Not taking any more!"

Anonymous October 31, 2011

"Very effective for the sinus congestion and sinus drip. However, continuous use resulted in leg cramps at night. Interfered with sleep. Research says that it can reduce blood flow to legs."

Bob1927 September 21, 2011

"This medicine made me sick. I took one 12 hour slow release tablet with a large glass of water and it's a week later and I still feel nauseated. "

Anonymous April 11, 2011

"This helped with a nasty cold when other OTC mixtures (with less guaifenesin) did not work. The 600mg tab has almost no side effects, though once in a while can make me feel woozy. Made a huge difference in loosening phlegm, helping me sleep, reduced coughing so my vocal chords are not as irritated. Also, my nasal passages cleared up significantly the first day I took it. It's important NOT to split the tab, it is hard to swallow, but it's formulated as sustained-release. It can't do it's job over 12 hours unless it is taken whole. Also, drinking lots of fluids (not coffee, tea) does help. Miracle drug (Mucinex)!"

Anonymous August 10, 2009