User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 945 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Guaifenesin to treat Cough

"Initially it seemed to work wonders, but I cough when I really do not need to do so. I cannot get any sleep, I am nervous, and I been thinking I am going nuts!! I am stopping it immediately. It clears up the mucus but the side effects are horrible."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015

"Recently I had a horrible head cold, it wasn't serious enough to see a doctor so I started taking Mucinex D. The second day I took the pill I noticed I was on the drowsy side and my urine was foul smelling. I took it for three days, about two hours into taking the third pill I started to get leg cramps and horrible abdominal pains that lasted for almost another 24 hours. The pain was awful and made me very nervous. My cold symptoms had subsided, so yes it does work but the side effects were awful."

BriellaD February 3, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm."

Anonymous January 4, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness."

agrum December 31, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this."

Anonymous October 20, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough."

jimbob 97683 October 15, 2014

"I'm to take it regularly. I soon found out that it makes my urine smell. While that may not be too bad a deal, it also seems to make me slightly incontinent. A bad combination. It also generally makes me weak and drowsy."

bj 305 September 23, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours."

Dilli (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier."

Sickgranny June 9, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster."

Lar999 June 7, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you."

sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2013

"Worked wonders for helping upper airway congestion! HOWEVER extreme disturbing dreams felt like I was going crazy! Dizzy and scatter brained, this was about 10 hours after taking 1."

LG131 January 28, 2013

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis."

Grateful in Fremont March 4, 2012

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "About and hour and a half after taking one Mucinex DM I developed severe dizziness, drowsiness, bad intestinal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea that recurred over a period of 2 hours. It was the only medication in my system."

Anonymous November 7, 2011

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "I took one tablet 12 hours ago and have been feeling very sick ever since. My nose is running, coughing and feeling terrible as if I had a bad cold. Not taking any more!"

Anonymous October 31, 2011

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "Very effective for the sinus congestion and sinus drip. However, continuous use resulted in leg cramps at night. Interfered with sleep. Research says that it can reduce blood flow to legs."

Bob1927 September 21, 2011

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "This medicine made me sick. I took one 12 hour slow release tablet with a large glass of water and it's a week later and I still feel nauseated. "

Anonymous April 11, 2011

"My Doctor recommended Mucinex a year ago and I tried it and the results were like speed for me. I could not sleep while on this stuff. So I tried something else. Finally realized I can not take anything with Guaifenesin in it."

Not at night! November 30, 2010

Duratuss G (guaifenesin): "If you have spent money on Mucinex, etc then you will appreciate Duratuss G even more for the lower cost and better job!"

tuzza December 3, 2009

Mucinex (guaifenesin): "This helped with a nasty cold when other OTC mixtures (with less guaifenesin) did not work. The 600mg tab has almost no side effects, though once in a while can make me feel woozy. Made a huge difference in loosening phlegm, helping me sleep, reduced coughing so my vocal chords are not as irritated. Also, my nasal passages cleared up significantly the first day I took it. It's important NOT to split the tab, it is hard to swallow, but it's formulated as sustained-release. It can't do it's job over 12 hours unless it is taken whole. Also, drinking lots of fluids (not coffee, tea) does help. Miracle drug (Mucinex)!"

Anonymous August 10, 2009

"I had Asthma diagnosis for 3 years. I was taking drugs like Flonase, Advair and Antihistamines almost continuously. After I found guaifenesin 3 years ago it got rid off all asthma symptoms. I am not taking any asthma medications any more, only guaifenesin."

Otto_S May 10, 2009

"Enhances my acid reflux"

Anonymous May 10, 2009

"Good medicine."

afakhattab March 23, 2009

"I was taking prescription medicines for allergy symptoms and could not get a refill due to health insurance. My mom suggested Mucinex DM which contains 1200mg Guaifenesin- what a huge help. More so than the prescription medicines I had been taking for over two years. "

epink1228 January 26, 2009