User Reviews for Gefitinib

Also known as: Iressa

Learn more about Gefitinib.

Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer 5 reviews 22 medications

9.5
Summary of Gefitinib reviews 5 reviews 9.5

Reviews for Gefitinib

Review by SeanC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Iressa (gefitinib) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer 5 months ago - in February 2013 - and following tests was put on Iressa. I can only say that I feel fantastic with only minimal side effects: occasional mild rash on chest (1-2 days only) and a bit tired afternoons - I have a nap for an hour and then all is good.

July 24, 2013 12:02 PM

Review by Malpas (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Iressa (gefitinib) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: I (78 y.o. male) was diagnosed with NSCLC in March 2011 and in late May I started taking Iressa as a first line of treatment. For the first five months my only side effect was a mild rash. I then had swollen gums and stomach acid. Both quickly responded to antibiotics. 75 days between the March and May CT scans the tumor increased by 86% (from 4.9 x 4 cms). 50 days later in July, after taking Iressa, the CT scan revealed an 83% reduction. From March to July it reduced by 69% and in December, although subtle, there has been further reduction. April 2012. True to form, tumour started growing again after 10 months of Iressa treatment. Still looking healthy, active in garden and taking 4 to 6 miles weekly walks. Only side effect was mild rash mainly on body. Now switching to conventional Chemotherapy today 10th May.

May 13, 2012 6:48 AM

Review by Malpas:

December 9, 2011 1:17 PM

Review by lynba:

Iressa (gefitinib) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: I was diagosed with inoperable NSCLC in March 11. I am taking Iressa as a first line treatment. I had no side effects for 2 weeks then the rash on my face started. I am female so was able to cover this with makeup. My skin became very dry too but moisturizers helped. I had tummy cramps which started at the same time, no diarrhea initially as I was still taking morphine from unsuccessful surgery. After 6 weeks I had my first scan. My tumor that had been 11cms was now 8.5cms, this was a pleasant surprise as I was told the Iressa would not shrink it but just stop it from growing. Since stopping the morphine I now suffer from tummy cramps and diarrhea most days, usually at night. I feel it is a small price to pay. I take Imodium which helps.

July 28, 2011 1:01 PM

Iressa (gefitinib) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: My personal experience with Iressa has been very good. The side effects of the drug were so much less than those of intravenous chemotherapy. When I finished traditional chemotherapy in December 2002 I participated in the clinical trials. I started taking Iressa in January 2003. My last scan after traditional chemotherapy showed that the cancer was still growing. My next scan, after taking Iressa for 90 days, showed marked improvement in my condition. Each scan thereafter showed slow but detectable improvement. It is now late May of 2009 and I'm still taking Iressa and still showing signs of improvement. The side effects, while ever-present are far more tolerable than those of traditional chemotherapy.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2009 1:11 PM