User Reviews for Cryselle

Learn more about Cryselle.

Cryselle review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Cryselle to treat Birth Control

Review by YR (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Today marks the second month I've been on this pill. In the beginning it was fine except that my face was breaking out really bad. I thougth I would deal with that until about a week or so ago I started getting terrible mood swings. I can't stand the person who sits next to me at work I can't stand my boyfriend, my friends anyone. I thought I was just having a bad week until the past two days I couldn't stop crying and would randomly burst out crying in public places! I called my DR and she told me to get off the pill immediately. I will sign back on and let you know how I feel a week from now!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by BccaGF:

I switched to Cryselle after a terrible experience starting birth control with Junel. On that, I bled without break for months. So Cryselle seemed like a God-send when the bleeding stopped and I had no spotting between periods. Minimal side effects besides increased acne. My skin was fine before, but I've been on this pill for just under a year now and in recent months have developed horrible, painful cystic acne. I am looking into a new pill now.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 24, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Shay_p:

I can't rate this a 10, because nothing works perfectly. But this is the best birth control that I have been on this far. I am 26 years old and I have been on 2 birth control pills previously that had not worked out nearly as well as Cryselle. I developed as I was taking the other birth control pills, many ovarian cysts which led to spotting and constant pain. I also rarely got my period, even while taking the placebo pills. My doctor switched me to this and I regularly get a period now and have little to no pain. For me, this is the best thing that has happened to me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by anonymoussse:

I've been taking this pill for a month now due to unbalanced hormone levels. I wasn't getting my period (I got it 4 out of the 12 months in a year). My gynecologist made me double up on the pill, so it makes me extremely nauseous at times. I get horrible mood swings and I've been breaking out, not badly though. Today was my 4th day on the sugar pill and I finally got my period. It is very light but I do have minor cramps.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Lizzie V.:

I switched to Cryselle two months ago because my periods were very heavy on my old birth control. Since switching to Cryselle, my periods are very light, I have very little cramping, my face has been clearer and I have been headache free. I wish that I had switched sooner.

March 4, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by Stella Spitfire (taken for less than 1 month):

I have a heavy flow to say the least. I get horrible PMS as well and cramping that I believe is just not normal. It almost makes me pass out at times, the pill told me to start it on the Sunday of my period and I did. I'm bleeding so heavy and the cramps are worse.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by AVB!! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I absolutely love this birth control pill, worked great for me. I had no weight gain, I had regular/short period with no cramps! It also helped a lot with my acne, while on the pill, I had no acne and very clear skin, but now that I'm off I wish I was still on the pill just for that reason.

December 11, 2013 2:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was given this pill as a second option because I felt the other pill I was taking was causing me to gain weight. I notice that with this pill I was not happy. Not with the pill, but my personality drastically changed. I was moody, irritable, emotional and down right a pain to be around. I have stopped taking it a week ago, just to see if my mood would improve, and it has. I would say stay away from this pill if you are under stress, as it will add to that negative side of your life.

November 19, 2013 5:40 AM

Review by ccfLALA:

I am 25 and began taking Cryselle for birth control. I've had oily skin and moderate acne since puberty. I've been using topical medicines to treat my acne for two years. The first month taking Cryselle, I broke out horribly the week of my period. We're talking the worst pimples I've ever had- the kind that throb when you bend over. The second month, I had no break out. I have not had a single blemish in the past 4 months of taking Cryselle. Mood swings are mild to unnoticeable. Even though there may be lots of ladies with bad experiences with this birth control, don't be afraid to try it. Cryselle has turned out to be very good for me and cleared my skin. Just be patient, give it at least 2 months before quitting.

November 18, 2013 7:51 PM

Review by One moody mama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking this pill since May. For months now I have been feeling achy and nauseous. Just recently I started having meltdowns at work over nothing. Crying spells. It wasn't until I was about to throw the pamphlet away when I decided to read the side effects. Under Severe allergic reaction it states severe mood swings, depression, loss of appetite. I'm suffering from all of them.

September 5, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I recently just switched to this pill because I kept spotting and having heavy periods on the estrogen pills, but I have to say this pill is working great for me so far. I have little to no periods, the only place I gained weight was in my breasts so that's cool, and my mood has been so stable I barely PMS anymore. The only negative is that I sometimes breakout on my face a little bit before my period, but a few pimples over heavy bleeding and spotting in the past is no problem! Great pill, highly recommend it if you have heavy periods and want a lighter one.

September 4, 2013 1:45 PM

I was terrified of starting birth control due to the horror stories I had heard from other women in the past. I am a small person, and due to this, I had very irregular periods. I would suffer from premenstrual syndrome for weeks on end before my period would actually start. Most times, I would have to take a Progestin supplement to actually get my period. This started happening more and more often and started really affecting my life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Cryselle. This has changed my life. It's been 3 and 1/2 months and I have had no side effects, no weight gain and my period is regular/short every month. It's given me the positive change I needed so badly!

July 5, 2013 10:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been taking this for a while, and as a fairly small lady, the side effects can be a little much at times. Sometimes it causes really nasty headaches behind my eyes due to my contact lenses. Also, I tend to get stomach pains that happen at random times throughout my cycle. However, it has kept my cycle very regular, and reduced my period from seven days to four. Great if you have irregular cycles, but the side effects can be a tad overpowering if you're not prepared.

May 3, 2013 8:35 PM

Review by Tiffany63759:

I've been taking Cryselle for over a year and I find it the best birth control for me. I've taken several others that made me sick and Cryselle gives me the least side effects. I get moody on and off but that's normal for any woman in general. I've had less cramping and periods are normal. I gained 4 pounds but that's also something that comes with it, just like either losing weight. Overall I like Cryselle!!

April 13, 2013 2:21 PM

Review by This pill sucks:

I have been taking this pill for about 7 months now and I thought that all the side effects it was giving me was something else so I just ignored them. Until now, when I finally hit it on the head and realized all my weird mood swings and everything are from this pill. I'm going to my doctor to switch. Every day I'm so depressed and want to cry all the time. I've lost interest in social activities and some days all I can do is lay in bed all day from fatigue and exhaustion over doing nothing. My skin is extremely oily and my hair that was once very thick is falling out. The smallest things irritate me and on my period it feels like the world is ending. I have difficulties breathing, dizzy spells, huge cravings for junk food.

March 24, 2013 6:51 PM

Review by bms20 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I took Cryselle for almost a year with no problems at all. The only reason I stopped is because me and my husband decided to expand our little family but I'm almost positive I will get back on it after baby is born.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2013 1:24 AM

I started this pill a month ago and ever since then I've had spotting everyday bad headaches and oily skin.

March 9, 2012 6:03 PM

I have had a fantastic experience with Cryselle. I take the pill before I go to bed every night, and have never had a side effect. I have been on Cryselle for 26 months, and have never gotten pregnant. Prior to taking Cryselle, my cycle was random and rarely hit at the same time each month, but since being on the birth control, my cycle is constant. I highly recommend this birth control.

February 4, 2012 11:09 PM

I have had the worst experience with this pill. My face, chest, and back are CONSTANTLY breaking out. I've never had this problem until my doctor switched me to Cryselle.

January 21, 2012 7:37 PM

Review by GEETTTT IIITTTTTT:

I have been taking this pill for 3 months and it has been great so far. My periods are lighter and I hardly have any cramping, when before they were horrible. (Really!) It has made me less moody during my periods, which my boyfriend finds amazing and it has also made the sex better in our relationship. Besides the slight weight gain, this pill has been exceptionally good to me and will continue to take it.

November 17, 2011 11:03 PM

This pill has done nothing but cause me problems. My skin is oily, I have really bad mood swings, I have gained 6 pounds and I'm constantly crying over any little thing. I find a reason to argue with my boyfriend over ANYTHING. I'm seriously thinking about stopping the pill.

November 6, 2011 8:19 AM

This really helped me for my period, before this pill, my period was so bad, going on for 7-8 days, with serious pain for the first 4 days. I would take like 4 ibuprofen (in just 3 hours, NOT good) and it wouldn't help! But now my pain is mild to none, and that makes me happy. I was seriously hoping it would help lower my acne level though... but it gave me more, plus oily skin. Just as long as it keeps the pain away, I'll keep taking it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2011 11:07 PM

Review by tlr1978:

I have been on Lo/Ovral since I was 18. I was taking the other generic, Low-Ogestrel, up until last month. The pharmacy switched generics. Ever since I started taking the Cryselle I have cramps constantly and always feel bloated.

May 10, 2011 3:45 PM

Review by Univalible:

I have been taking this birth control for 5 months now! And ever since I started taking this birth control I have gotten an odd abnormal redness to my face, Gained 15 pounds, and haven't had anything but spotting for the last 4 months.

September 16, 2010 3:59 PM

Since starting this brand of birth control two years ago I have gained forty pounds. During the two years I exercised thirty minutes a day seven days a week. Despite the weight gain this pill worked very well for me and I never had any other problems.

December 31, 2009 4:51 AM