User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Balziva, Blisovi 24 Fe, Blisovi Fe 1.5/30, Blisovi Fe 1/20, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 0.5/35, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Dasetta 7/7/7, ...show all 93 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "WORST BC PILL EVER!!! First two weeks went great no side effects but third week was terrible! This pill made me super bloated and constipated. It really messed my stomach up it's so uncomfortable. Will never take this again."

Anonymous May 20, 2016

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I started Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo when I turned 18; used it for about 3 years until my cycles started showing up whenever they wanted. My doctor switched me to Sprintec, which was a constant dose of hormone as opposed to the increasing dose like OTCL. Sprintec turned me into an absolutely CRAZY person; my emotions were out of control and my doc seemed to think there was no problem at all. I took myself off of the meds for about 6 months trying to rebalance my system and found a new doctor. My new doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and suggested Lo Loestrin Fe. She told me there was a good chance that my period would go away entirely and asked if I was ok with that. BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! Spotted ONCE since starting it in Nov 2014--no more cycle!"

finally! (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2016

"A sample was given to me by my doc. A week has past and I'm moody & bloated all the time. Is anybody else experiencing the same symptom? (I have been on many different birth controls and this is the first time I've had this much discomfort and continuous bloating)"

Yssp (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have PCOS and Endometerosis and neither one of them caused a problem with my skin. People always complimented me and then my doctor suggested for me to be put on YAZ. Wow I loved Yaz because that birthconrtol pill cleared up my moods and my skin just looked even better and I just loved that medication. Since everyone was having problems with it, my doctor stopped my Yaz immediately and then prescribed me Lomedia. Since I have been on Lomedia, I have had my gall bladder removed, I have facial hair, I have acne like you wouldn't believe, horrible stomach pains and now IBS. Then I took a month break from the Lomedia and everything cleared up. I was back to normal. I would not recommend this product. I never had these problems before Lomedia"

Seanna2124 February 17, 2016

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "My gynecologist put me on this for PCOS. I took it for two years. My periods are few, random and unpredictable. I didn't have regular bleeding at all. I had one or two periods a year on it. The periods were much less uncomfortable, and my PMS symptoms were a lower severity. Didn't help with my high insulin which is my big problem. Didn't help with my ridiculously bad adult acne big problem. It went back to before. For a short period, I think it decreased my acne by 10%. The only pro I can think of is that it dealt with my higher risk for developing endometrial cancer due to lining buildup from unopposed estrogen. If I miss a dose here or there, I have awful mood swings. I'm going to a new gynecologist because I need better management of my PCOS."

Heather423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2016

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Hello, I have always believed my daughter might have PCOS because she had all the symptoms including weight gain despite diet/exercise, severe acne, facial hair and irregular periods. She was placed on BC as a freshman in high school and did a round of Accutane - which as difficult as it was, took care of her cystic acne. Now at 20, she has thinning hair, I need to know if we should keep her on microgestin or go with another BC pill. We will also be having her thyroid checked."

MilwMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "6 months ago I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. I was put on this upon diagnosis. Periods went from maybe 4 unbelievably heavy periods a year lasting about 8-12 days. To completely regular periods, very light and lasting about 2-4 days. Honestly haven't had any severe problems. The most obvious effect on me would have to be the sore breasts and enlargement. No acne other than the occasional pimple. Ultimately, I would recommend."

Anonymous December 30, 2015

"I was given this right before (only 2 weeks before) I was diagnosed with PCOS. Yes, at the start I had really bad mood swings, it didn't help I was starting a new drug for stress headaches that had the same (mood swing) effect. I talked to my DR. about it and she advised me to stay on it for 3 months, then afterwards I can come back and discuss the pill and see if I need to be put on another. I have been on it for 4-5 months now, and I have little to no mood swings anymore. I love taking this, because before I wouldn't have any idea when I was about to get a period, sometimes would go for months without one. Now I know exactly when it will happen. This is a huge relief to me. As for my PCOS, I won't know until my next ultrasound."

Camc November 22, 2015

Wera (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Mostly I liked Wera. It was better than the necon 1/35 I had been on previously. I still had enough mood swings that I felt bad enough for my husband to want to change my b.c. I really didnt have much depression on this, a little lower libido, but it did not cause chronic migraines like the other b.c. I eventually switched"

Britall (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "This was the first one I was put on after going off b.c. after college when I was able to get married and needed contraceptive. I had known for years that I had PCOS (zero periods/year) and would eventually get my diagnosis 2 months after this b.c. It was horrible. I had major mood swings, I would scream at my husband (then fiance) then all of a sudden end up bawling. I had to go off it and still have yet to find a good b.c. that works."

Britall September 8, 2015

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I just switched to this pill from one that made me gain weight (all to boobs and butt so I'm not reeeeeally complaining but still.) This is my first period with this pill, and I'm rejoicing. I've always had extra heavy periods, and they usually last 8-9 days, so it was basically hell. I had gotten used to sleeping on a towel I always ended up leaking onto my sheets and ruining them, and I was resigned to a life of painfully large super tampons. But today - I wore a regular tampon and didn't leak? And I can wear a regular pad and sleep without a towel? This is amazing and I love it. A "

Kiddo17 August 27, 2015

"I have experienced what my doctor calls "spotting" which I completely disagree. I've had my monthly cycle for 2 weeks & a half. Just as heavy as normal and same pain level in cramps. I was giving this to shrink the size of my ovarian cyst to make it go away pretty much but I'm not exactly quite sure if it's even shrinking. I have also experienced weight gain and I'm in the process of losing weight so that really does not help. I have also experienced mood swings. Maybe it will be worth it after my next sonogram."

Nat M (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"Generess was recommended by my ob/gyn as it was new to the market and with low dose progestin. I take this to regulate my periods due to pcos. I have taken it for close to a year and I love it. Great taste, no side effects. Can't say if it has any advantage on acne as I have mild acne anyway, but it did not worsen. No weight gain. What sucks the most is now the manufacturer does not provide a coupon anymore and the generess website is pretty much a blank slate. What happened generess? This med is VERY expensive without a coupon. I did alot of research and found there is a generic for it with no copay for me! Let's see how it goes! I hope it works well. Fingers crossed."

mmp81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2015

"This was the first pill my specialist me on for PCOS and EXTREMELY irregular cycles. A few days before I went in for him to see him I was spotting. While taking this pill, I have never stopped bleeding. The only time I stopped bleeding was when I was on the 2nd to last sugar pill of the 1st pack, and I started bleeding again a week after starting the active pills again. So obviously these pills weren't for me. Even after taking 2 a day for a week as told to do so by my doctor, hasn't COMPLETELY stopped the spotting. It's still very light. He's put me on Necon 1/50 now, and to take 2 pills as well for a week and to call him back to see if it helped. I hope this doesn't reek havoc on my body taking this much estrogen"

Tarasaurus (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've been taking Gildess for about 11 months now. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so my periods are normally very far and few. I was prescribed Gildess to regulate my periods, but mainly to help with PMDD. Since taking Gildess, it has helped tremendously with my anger/depression. My mood swings are gone, but I've gained 40 pounds! One of the side effects of this med is weight gain and cravings for carbs and sweets. I like what Gildess has done for my mood, but I hate the weight gain. That may be a factor in me stopping this medication soon."

Manderrott June 27, 2015

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on this pill for 6 months since I was diagnosed with PCOS. My periods were still regular before going on this pill. My only real symptoms of PCOS were excessive hair growth and elevated Testosterone levels. Since I started taking this pill I have chronic spotting, bloating, headaches, and fatigue. I fatigue is so bad that it has started to interfere with my grades in school. I get a horrible pain in my left hip before I start spotting. I have seen no improvement with the abnormal hair. I also have not had a period since starting the pill which i started six months ago."

Yck June 17, 2015

Ortho-Novum 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have had no bad side affects with this pill. I take it in conjunction with spirolactone and metformin for PCOS. The combination has helped in regulating my periods and reducing hair growth on my chin are. If I miss a few days and have to double up on pills my body definitely can feel the overload of hormones. My periods are very light and for about 2-3 days which my doctor said happens with this pill. My sex drive is definitely heighten with this birth control! To avoid a delay in starting a new pack with mailing/ordering delays. I asked my doctor to receive more packs at once. It's avoided issues with break through bleeding and original PCOS symptoms from getting out of control!"

Confidence&Strength May 11, 2015

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've been on 5 different birth controls before this one, all the others gave me horrible symptoms (no sex drive, nipple sensitivity, severe lower back pain) and this one is totally perfect! after quitting birth control after a few years, I noticed facial hair growing on my neck and thats when I got officially diagnosed with PCOS, (although I had been missing periods since I first ever got a period, I didn't know until now) I have no weight gain, periods are light and not painful at all, moods are regular, NO WEIGHT GAIN weight LOSS actually. everything is great!"

cookkkkkiieeeeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2015

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was put on this higher dose hormone birth control pill in May 2014 when my pcos diagnosis was confirmed. January 15 2015 I was hospitalized for Acute Bilateral Emboli. It is now my belief, which should be confirmed in June, that the birth control caused the blood clots in my lungs. I have been on regular birth control 1/20 for over 10 years before this to treat menstrul pain and prevent new cysts from forming before I was diagnosed with pcos they just diagnosed me with ovarian cysts. Although I don't know if it was the higher dose that caused the clots I am no longer on combination birth control because of it. I will never be able to tale combination pills again."

Steph04 April 24, 2015

"Pirmella 7/7/7: I am so relieved to be on this medication! It has helped my PCOS tremendously. I've lost weight, which I have not been able to do with diet & exercise before. I do experience breast tenderness & nightmares, but if that's all I have to deal with & I am losing weight, then I will take it."

ANBCB February 11, 2015

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was put on Microgestin FE 1.5 for multiple issues. My ovaries were enlarged, I had a massive cyst on my right ovary, hormones were out of whack and I was in constant pain. My OB put me on this medicine to shut my ovaries down and level out my hormones. What I experienced with the medicine was this: increased energy, loss of appetite, weight loss, considerably less pain...and just feeling like a human again. I understand that most women don't have this type of experience with any type of birth control but this was mine with this one."

DarcyH2 December 1, 2014

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on this pill 2 months cons I am sick to my stomach everyday, I throw up at least once a week and pee like every 10mins. I also get headaches towards the end of the day. So I started taking my second pack before I go to sleep to avoid these symptoms no such luck. Pro's barely has a period last month waiting to see this month. I will stick it out for another month, but if nothing changes I'm changing it so far I'm very disappointed I was so excited for this pill"

Shazz2807 October 6, 2014

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen."

LRHB July 24, 2014

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Second week on this, prescribed for my Polycysitc ovarian syndrome. I lost 4 pounds. I went from 146lbs to 142lbs in just a little over several days. I never had acne, so nothing in that department. But being 5 '5 my doctors want me to a healthy 115-125 to reduce my PCOS. Nothing but great things. I feel more feminine and less aggressive since my testosterone was so high."

October78 July 12, 2014

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I really liked this birth control. I only experienced light acne about a week before my period, no cramps, stomach pain, or any other period symptoms. My period always came the day I started the brown iron pills. They were so light most of the time I never even used a pad or anything. I haven't used a tampon since I went on the medicine. I ended up going on Yaz because my mom thinks I should have a heavier period and that it's not healthy even though my cycle is regular. Overall this pill is great."

OpposedSarah July 4, 2014