User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Balziva, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Dasetta 7/7/7, Estrostep Fe, Femcon Fe, femhrt, Generess Fe, ...show all 80 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Review by Shazz2807:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I have been on this pill 2 months cons I am sick to my stomach everyday, I throw up at least once a week and pee like every 10mins. I also get headaches towards the end of the day. So I started taking my second pack before I go to sleep to avoid these symptoms no such luck. Pro's barely has a period last month waiting to see this month. I will stick it out for another month, but if nothing changes I'm changing it so far I'm very disappointed I was so excited for this pill

October 6, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by LRHB:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

July 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Review by October78:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Second week on this, prescribed for my Polycysitc ovarian syndrome. I lost 4 pounds. I went from 146lbs to 142lbs in just a little over several days. I never had acne, so nothing in that department. But being 5 '5 my doctors want me to a healthy 115-125 to reduce my PCOS. Nothing but great things. I feel more feminine and less aggressive since my testosterone was so high.

July 12, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by OpposedSarah:

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I really liked this birth control. I only experienced light acne about a week before my period, no cramps, stomach pain, or any other period symptoms. My period always came the day I started the brown iron pills. They were so light most of the time I never even used a pad or anything. I haven't used a tampon since I went on the medicine. I ended up going on Yaz because my mom thinks I should have a heavier period and that it's not healthy even though my cycle is regular. Overall this pill is great.

July 4, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by Heather0709:

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): No menstrual at all. No cramps or bloating. Works really well for me.

April 24, 2014 2:05 AM

Review by SapphireSunshine (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I have been on Microgestin FE 1.5/30 for 15 months. My doctor prescribed it when I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. My cycle would not stop for more than two days, then it would start again. As soon as I started the Microgestin, my cycle regulated the first week. After taking it for about a year my periods are extremely light and very short. The side effects I have experienced are acne, oily skin, and terrible mood swings the week before my period begins. I get very angry and irritable for about two days the week prior to my period. In spite of these side effects this pill has been great for me. I have lost 40 lbs with diet and exercise that I was unable to lose before taking this pill. I highly recommend giving it a try.

November 21, 2013 4:40 PM

Review by Hannah s.a:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I've gained about 20 lbs in the past 3 months, a cup size & have tender breasts, but no other side effects. Was switched to this pill for my polycystic ovarian syndrome after using Lo Loestrin Fe for over year and had a lot of breakthrough bleeding. I used the Lo Loestrin in combination with Premarin until my doctor decided to switch me over.

October 15, 2013 1:26 PM

Review by Stacky flapjacks (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Just started taking my second pack. Already amazed with the results. First month, my normally HEAVY (pad and tampon change every two hours) period was so light, I only had to wear panty liners. I am no longer in crippling pain. The first month was a little tough but the pain was nothing like it was. I feel a little sick every now and again. I haven't experienced any weight gain, just a lot of bloating around the mid section, but I bloat a lot when I'm on my period so that doesn't bother me. I assume that will change as time goes by. I don't feel excessively hungry except during the time that would have been my period. I have noticed my breasts have grown, not mad at that!

April 15, 2013 1:52 AM

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Severe depression and irritability, acne, and oily skin starting the 3rd month of this pill

October 25, 2012 12:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I have been on this for a month now. This pill has been my savior and its only been a month. Within days my ovarian pain was gone. And my PMS symptoms were near to none! I had gained weight, say 5/9 lbs but it beats pain and living in fear. I'm happier than I've been in a long time and I would really recommend this pill, especially if you're sensitive to medicines. I know I am. I'm 22 and normally extremely healthy. I have an ovarian cyst and this pill works.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2012 7:46 PM

Review by Tvnotffrdjk:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): After trying 4 different birth controls, I was ready to give up when my doctor recommended this. I do not get migraines. I did gain 5 lbs and it does make me very bloated. The cramps were very painful but anything over those massive migraines I used to get with the previous pills.

September 8, 2012 1:56 AM

Review by cailinnjoey (taken for less than 1 month):

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I've only been on this for about 2 weeks and I have tons of symptoms. Mood changes, breast enlargement, bloating, cramping in my abdomen. I'm hoping it helps with my PCOS. I'm going to stick with this medication for another month and if I still have all these symptoms I'm going to get off of it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2012 3:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Been on this for 3 months. I'm 20 years old and was put on this due to: Ovarian cysts, acne, incredibly painful/irregular & as future birth control method. It didn't seem to do anything other than make me hungry, achey, & VERY VERY tired. My period is still irregular & painful. My face hasn't cleared up. I definitely experience spotting a week before the brown pills. I BARELY bleed or not at all on the brown pills which makes me nervous for when I do start to have sex and would like reassurance that i'm not pregnant. I go back to the doctor this week, i'm definitely switching to a different birth control! Something to get rid of my acne, my painful periods & something that will regulate them!

July 30, 2012 2:58 AM

Review by Katie-2:

Microgestin 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I had a very bad experience on Lo Ovral (angry all the time, dead sex drive, hungry constantly) in the past, and was not sure how I felt about going back on the pill for my PCOS. But turns out Microgestin has been okay on my system. I'm about a year in, and within the first 3 months my breasts definitely grew half a cup size. My sex drive decreased and my nipples are tender. I did feel paranoid for about 3 months, then it normalized and my mood has been fine since. I am convinced it has made me gain weight around the hips, ugh- however I have not actually gained real weight. After being on it about a year, my sex drive is coming back finally and mentally I feel normal. My periods are nice and light, they linger about 5 days total.

March 25, 2012 8:44 PM

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I am currently TTC and my RE put me on Loestrine 24, I thought it was crazy at first to be put on birth control while TTC but it has worked wonders. I have lost weight and I feel great I dont understand why no one had thought to try this before. My only negative is the breast tenderness OUCH I had a heating pad that I had to use for a week straight. In the end that is a small price to pay for how GREAT I feel and how much I have to gain. I would strongly urge everyone to try this and I hope it works for you.

March 6, 2012 3:47 PM

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I was put on Loestrin 24 Fe because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The only side effects I have had are a tenderness of breasts. As long as it is taken at the same time every day, there aren't any side effects. 3 day periods that are light beat no period and crippling cramps and mood swings, this beats that by miles!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 8:33 PM

Review by Lucy!:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 months ago. I tried Junel Fe before Loestrin Fe but kept throwing up everyday due to nausea/morning sickness. Then my doctor switched me to Loestrin Fe. Now I only get mild nausea during first line of the pack. My periods are normal now, they last 3 days (1.5 days of 2 placebo pills) and 1 day of first pill of the new pack. My acne gotten out of control though completely filled around chin area but I heard it takes 4 months for your body to get used to hormonal changes. So I'm hoping with time I will see the effect. I was on Balzina last year and stopped after 8 months when my periods became normal.... it cleared my face too so I'm hoping Loestrin will do the same.

February 17, 2012 4:39 PM

Review by LC13:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I am 21 years old and started taking Loestrin Fe in the beginning of September. I have heard that birth control is supposed to make you gain weight, but I've actually been steadily losing weight, and that's without taking my Metformin regularly (which I am now back on). My breasts also continue to grow in size, and are quite tender for about a week leading up to my period. I get some cramps but they don't last very long. I had pretty bad PMS for a couple days before my first period, but once I started my period I was fine. Before taking this regularly I was on progesterone for ten days once every three months but had not gotten a menstrual cycle from it for three doses. For PCOS, this is great.

November 14, 2011 1:14 PM

Review by so so:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I've only been on Loestrin 24 FE for three weeks. Prior to starting these pills, I hadn't had my period since July 1, 2011. By the second week of taking these pills, I've had severe flooding, horrible cramps, diarrhea, and my skin is blotchy. My doctor told me that I would probably start my period or at least "spot" but I have extremely heavy flow right now. I realize that maybe this is due to the endometriosis that built up from my PCOS and uterine fibroid issue, but I had no idea it would feel like Niagara Falls. I am also waking up every night around 3AM and having nightmares. All started as soon as I took these pills.

October 24, 2011 10:17 PM

Loestrin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): This pill has given me nothing but trouble. I am now double dosing until my D&C to see if it will stop the bleeding that it caused me for over a month. I should have just lived with the irregular cycles instead of this constant bleeding!

September 29, 2011 2:49 AM

Review by KillaK:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I was terrified of taking this. I had been on Lo-ovral in the past, and had a terrible experience with it (mood swings, lack of sex drive, constant hunger, weight gain, etc.). This was pretty much off the bat. Plus I have seen some scary reviews about Microgestin. But after getting diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) I had to do something. I have had pretty much zero side effects after a month of use. Breasts grew a little bit and were tender at first, but other then that I feel fine. I am typically hypersensitive to medicines. It could be that I am used to high hormone levels due to the PCOS and this just balances it out. With birth control (and anti-depressants) it is important to really shop around until you find one that works with your body.

July 24, 2011 8:16 PM

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): When I started birth control, I was initially put on Desogen. That birth control gave me horrible mood swings and I eventually had to switch when they began to interfere with my life. I started Loestrin 24 Fe after that, and I liked it a lot more at first than I do now. I have now been on this pill since about August of 09, and I am currently looking to find another method to try since I am experiencing terrible lack of sex drive and random cramps throughout the month. However, I still give this birth control a 6 because the lack of libido is the worst symptom I have experienced, and after the horror of mood swings I experienced before, that doesn't seem AS bad.

July 10, 2011 2:58 AM

Ortho-Novum 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): Since I cannot choose more than one option for condition, I will post both reasons here: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Birth Control. I first started with two other different brands of birth control before getting on Ortho Novum 1/35. The other two brands make me extremely moody and my periods were out of control. Once I got started on Ortho Novum 1/35, my periods started evening out, lasting 3 - 5 days out of the entire placebo week. The only downside I've noticed was a little bit of weight gain and vaginal dryness during intercourse. I'm not overly moody or irritable and I can actually do activities that would leave me curled up on the couch.

May 5, 2011 7:04 PM

Review by Tabwee:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I have been experiencing, since starting this medication, vaginal dryness. I cannot even use soft toilet paper, I HAVE to use a moistened wipe if I use the restroom. It is so bad I had to go and see my doctor. He told me to give the pill 2 more months then come back to see him. I have also noticed that my moods are VERY crazy and this is affecting my relationship with my husband, work and family. I am trying to ride it out but am tempted to ask for another drug solely because of the mood swings.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2011 12:10 PM

Review by Jami P.:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): I just recently was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and My Doctor put me on Loestrin 23 Fe. The first month was fine just a little tenderness of my breast, but the second month was terrible. I have horrible acne, mood swings all the time, I have terrible cramps, headaches and I always feel nauseous. I will be going on a new pill as soon as possible.

January 6, 2011 11:12 AM