User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Balziva, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Dasetta 7/7/7, Estrostep Fe, Femcon Fe, femhrt, Generess Fe, ...show all 83 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've been taking Gildess for about 11 months now. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so my periods are normally very far and few. I was prescribed Gildess to regulate my periods, but mainly to help with PMDD. Since taking Gildess, it has helped tremendously with my anger/depression. My mood swings are gone, but I've gained 40 pounds! One of the side effects of this med is weight gain and cravings for carbs and sweets. I like what Gildess has done for my mood, but I hate the weight gain. That may be a factor in me stopping this medication soon."

Manderrott June 27, 2015

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on this pill for 6 months since I was diagnosed with PCOS. My periods were still regular before going on this pill. My only real symptoms of PCOS were excessive hair growth and elevated Testosterone levels. Since I started taking this pill I have chronic spotting, bloating, headaches, and fatigue. I fatigue is so bad that it has started to interfere with my grades in school. I get a horrible pain in my left hip before I start spotting. I have seen no improvement with the abnormal hair. I also have not had a period since starting the pill which i started six months ago."

Yck June 17, 2015

Ortho-Novum 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have had no bad side affects with this pill. I take it in conjunction with spirolactone and metformin for PCOS. The combination has helped in regulating my periods and reducing hair growth on my chin are. If I miss a few days and have to double up on pills my body definitely can feel the overload of hormones. My periods are very light and for about 2-3 days which my doctor said happens with this pill. My sex drive is definitely heighten with this birth control! To avoid a delay in starting a new pack with mailing/ordering delays. I asked my doctor to receive more packs at once. It's avoided issues with break through bleeding and original PCOS symptoms from getting out of control!"

Confidence&Strength May 11, 2015

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've been on 5 different birth controls before this one, all the others gave me horrible symptoms (no sex drive, nipple sensitivity, severe lower back pain) and this one is totally perfect! after quitting birth control after a few years, I noticed facial hair growing on my neck and thats when I got officially diagnosed with PCOS, (although I had been missing periods since I first ever got a period, I didn't know until now) I have no weight gain, periods are light and not painful at all, moods are regular, NO WEIGHT GAIN weight LOSS actually. everything is great!"

cookkkkkiieeeeee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2015

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was put on this higher dose hormone birth control pill in May 2014 when my pcos diagnosis was confirmed. January 15 2015 I was hospitalized for Acute Bilateral Emboli. It is now my belief, which should be confirmed in June, that the birth control caused the blood clots in my lungs. I have been on regular birth control 1/20 for over 10 years before this to treat menstrul pain and prevent new cysts from forming before I was diagnosed with pcos they just diagnosed me with ovarian cysts. Although I don't know if it was the higher dose that caused the clots I am no longer on combination birth control because of it. I will never be able to tale combination pills again."

Steph04 April 24, 2015

"Pirmella 7/7/7: I am so relieved to be on this medication! It has helped my PCOS tremendously. I've lost weight, which I have not been able to do with diet & exercise before. I do experience breast tenderness & nightmares, but if that's all I have to deal with & I am losing weight, then I will take it."

ANBCB February 11, 2015

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was put on Microgestin FE 1.5 for multiple issues. My ovaries were enlarged, I had a massive cyst on my right ovary, hormones were out of whack and I was in constant pain. My OB put me on this medicine to shut my ovaries down and level out my hormones. What I experienced with the medicine was this: increased energy, loss of appetite, weight loss, considerably less pain...and just feeling like a human again. I understand that most women don't have this type of experience with any type of birth control but this was mine with this one."

DarcyH2 December 1, 2014

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on this pill 2 months cons I am sick to my stomach everyday, I throw up at least once a week and pee like every 10mins. I also get headaches towards the end of the day. So I started taking my second pack before I go to sleep to avoid these symptoms no such luck. Pro's barely has a period last month waiting to see this month. I will stick it out for another month, but if nothing changes I'm changing it so far I'm very disappointed I was so excited for this pill"

Shazz2807 October 6, 2014

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen."

LRHB July 24, 2014

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Second week on this, prescribed for my Polycysitc ovarian syndrome. I lost 4 pounds. I went from 146lbs to 142lbs in just a little over several days. I never had acne, so nothing in that department. But being 5 '5 my doctors want me to a healthy 115-125 to reduce my PCOS. Nothing but great things. I feel more feminine and less aggressive since my testosterone was so high."

October78 July 12, 2014

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I really liked this birth control. I only experienced light acne about a week before my period, no cramps, stomach pain, or any other period symptoms. My period always came the day I started the brown iron pills. They were so light most of the time I never even used a pad or anything. I haven't used a tampon since I went on the medicine. I ended up going on Yaz because my mom thinks I should have a heavier period and that it's not healthy even though my cycle is regular. Overall this pill is great."

OpposedSarah July 4, 2014

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "No menstrual at all. No cramps or bloating. Works really well for me."

Heather0709 April 24, 2014

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on Microgestin FE 1.5/30 for 15 months. My doctor prescribed it when I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. My cycle would not stop for more than two days, then it would start again. As soon as I started the Microgestin, my cycle regulated the first week. After taking it for about a year my periods are extremely light and very short. The side effects I have experienced are acne, oily skin, and terrible mood swings the week before my period begins. I get very angry and irritable for about two days the week prior to my period. In spite of these side effects this pill has been great for me. I have lost 40 lbs with diet and exercise that I was unable to lose before taking this pill. I highly recommend giving it a try."

SapphireSunshine (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2013

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've gained about 20 lbs in the past 3 months, a cup size & have tender breasts, but no other side effects. Was switched to this pill for my polycystic ovarian syndrome after using Lo Loestrin Fe for over year and had a lot of breakthrough bleeding. I used the Lo Loestrin in combination with Premarin until my doctor decided to switch me over."

Hannah s.a October 15, 2013

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Just started taking my second pack. Already amazed with the results. First month, my normally HEAVY (pad and tampon change every two hours) period was so light, I only had to wear panty liners. I am no longer in crippling pain. The first month was a little tough but the pain was nothing like it was. I feel a little sick every now and again. I haven't experienced any weight gain, just a lot of bloating around the mid section, but I bloat a lot when I'm on my period so that doesn't bother me. I assume that will change as time goes by. I don't feel excessively hungry except during the time that would have been my period. I have noticed my breasts have grown, not mad at that!"

Stacky flapjacks (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2013

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Severe depression and irritability, acne, and oily skin starting the 3rd month of this pill"

Anonymous October 25, 2012

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have been on this for a month now. This pill has been my savior and its only been a month. Within days my ovarian pain was gone. And my PMS symptoms were near to none! I had gained weight, say 5/9 lbs but it beats pain and living in fear. I'm happier than I've been in a long time and I would really recommend this pill, especially if you're sensitive to medicines. I know I am. I'm 22 and normally extremely healthy. I have an ovarian cyst and this pill works."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2012

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "After trying 4 different birth controls, I was ready to give up when my doctor recommended this. I do not get migraines. I did gain 5 lbs and it does make me very bloated. The cramps were very painful but anything over those massive migraines I used to get with the previous pills."

Tvnotffrdjk September 8, 2012

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've only been on this for about 2 weeks and I have tons of symptoms. Mood changes, breast enlargement, bloating, cramping in my abdomen. I'm hoping it helps with my PCOS. I'm going to stick with this medication for another month and if I still have all these symptoms I'm going to get off of it."

cailinnjoey (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2012

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Been on this for 3 months. I'm 20 years old and was put on this due to: Ovarian cysts, acne, incredibly painful/irregular & as future birth control method. It didn't seem to do anything other than make me hungry, achey, & VERY VERY tired. My period is still irregular & painful. My face hasn't cleared up. I definitely experience spotting a week before the brown pills. I BARELY bleed or not at all on the brown pills which makes me nervous for when I do start to have sex and would like reassurance that i'm not pregnant. I go back to the doctor this week, i'm definitely switching to a different birth control! Something to get rid of my acne, my painful periods & something that will regulate them!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2012

Microgestin 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I had a very bad experience on Lo Ovral (angry all the time, dead sex drive, hungry constantly) in the past, and was not sure how I felt about going back on the pill for my PCOS. But turns out Microgestin has been okay on my system. I'm about a year in, and within the first 3 months my breasts definitely grew half a cup size. My sex drive decreased and my nipples are tender. I did feel paranoid for about 3 months, then it normalized and my mood has been fine since. I am convinced it has made me gain weight around the hips, ugh- however I have not actually gained real weight. After being on it about a year, my sex drive is coming back finally and mentally I feel normal. My periods are nice and light, they linger about 5 days total."

Katie-2 March 25, 2012

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I am currently TTC and my RE put me on Loestrine 24, I thought it was crazy at first to be put on birth control while TTC but it has worked wonders. I have lost weight and I feel great I dont understand why no one had thought to try this before. My only negative is the breast tenderness OUCH I had a heating pad that I had to use for a week straight. In the end that is a small price to pay for how GREAT I feel and how much I have to gain. I would strongly urge everyone to try this and I hope it works for you."

Anonymous March 6, 2012

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was put on Loestrin 24 Fe because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The only side effects I have had are a tenderness of breasts. As long as it is taken at the same time every day, there aren't any side effects. 3 day periods that are light beat no period and crippling cramps and mood swings, this beats that by miles!"

Anonymous February 26, 2012

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 months ago. I tried Junel Fe before Loestrin Fe but kept throwing up everyday due to nausea/morning sickness. Then my doctor switched me to Loestrin Fe. Now I only get mild nausea during first line of the pack. My periods are normal now, they last 3 days (1.5 days of 2 placebo pills) and 1 day of first pill of the new pack. My acne gotten out of control though completely filled around chin area but I heard it takes 4 months for your body to get used to hormonal changes. So I'm hoping with time I will see the effect. I was on Balzina last year and stopped after 8 months when my periods became normal.... it cleared my face too so I'm hoping Loestrin will do the same."

Lucy! February 17, 2012

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I am 21 years old and started taking Loestrin Fe in the beginning of September. I have heard that birth control is supposed to make you gain weight, but I've actually been steadily losing weight, and that's without taking my Metformin regularly (which I am now back on). My breasts also continue to grow in size, and are quite tender for about a week leading up to my period. I get some cramps but they don't last very long. I had pretty bad PMS for a couple days before my first period, but once I started my period I was fine. Before taking this regularly I was on progesterone for ten days once every three months but had not gotten a menstrual cycle from it for three doses. For PCOS, this is great."

LC13 November 14, 2011