User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Balziva, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Dasetta 7/7/7, Estrostep Fe, Femcon Fe, femhrt, Generess Fe, ...show all 78 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Endometriosis 32 reviews 175 medications

Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone reviews 1203 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Review by Nickster18:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have only been on this pill for a week, however I already want to switch. I had acne problems before this pill and I thought by going on this I could kill to birds with one stone; clear up my acne and prevent pregnancy. But I cannot wait for this pack to be over so I can switch. Within the first day my acne got 10x worse and it's only been a week but it's worse than it's ever been in the last year! I don't even want to look in the mirror. I haven't noticed any other side effects yet but I won't be surprised if there's more negative ones to come.

July 27, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Holisticjewels:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Gained weight, felt depressed, worst experience of my adult life with birth control. 28yr healthy vegan -5'8 143lbs Two weeks on Gildess -160 Horrible nightmare. It's been two months and I've lost 5 lbs.

July 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by LRHB:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

July 24, 2014 12:38 PM

Review by Kirsten85:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I was on this for 6 months and it was awful. I had the worst mood swings. Then they switched me into Junel Fe for another 6 months. It was just as bad. I had acne. Awful moods. And I understand everyone is different. But for me. It was just awful.

July 23, 2014 4:06 PM

Review by 25 yr old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This is my first birth control pill and have been on it going on 3months. Aside from the fact that it seems to be working well with lighter & shorter periods, there are some negatives. It gives me terrible lingering headaches; which sometimes turn into migraines. It also makes me very nauseous. I feel dizzy & squeeze at times. With this said, I take it in the evenings before I go to bed, so I'm not awake during the instant side effects. I realized I have also been a bit irritable, gained weight and I have also been feeling very overwhelmed by things! With all of this said, maybe I will consider changing over. But each one has it's new side effects. so maybe I'll stick it out.

July 21, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by invisible_creeper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This medication was okay, I guess. It made me have spotting constantly, so I had to go off it pretty quickly. Not the best choice for me.

July 21, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Tayd24:

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I started taking Minastrin in November after Loestrin was discontinued, I was told it was the same pill just a different name (I disagree). Like Loestrin I take Minastrin every morning at 8 a.m. I have been taking Minastrin now for almost a year. I find I have cramps all the time, I get mad very easily, no sex drive whatsoever. I'm not sure if this is related but I get hot and sweat very easy now. I have gained a good bit of weight in my thighs and lower stomach, again not sure if that is related to Minastrin. When I go for my yearly exam I will be looking at switching.

July 20, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by CN88:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I only tried this pill for barely under 3 weeks because I couldn't take the side effects anymore! I might have been allergic to something in the pill. The final time taking it, itched my legs for 10 straight min, causing me to break out in hives. Among the other issues I experienced on Microgestin was chest pain, body soreness, breast tenderness and moodiness. This pill was a nightmare for me. Except it caused my period to be very light, which was awesome. Switched to Tri-Sprintec and so far (1 week) it's been fine.

July 20, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by Kat93:

Generess Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill almost 2 years. I gained maybe 5 pounds, but I am also in a happy relationship so weight gain could be from that. I no longer have a period. I may get brown spotting every 4-5 months. I stopped chewing the nasty thing, and I swallow it. I get migraines if I take placebos so I skip those every other month and go to a new packet. Cleared my acne, no pain, my breasts actually got bigger. I am very happy with this pill. No pregnancies! I never take it on time & I skip it. I'm your typical user. I also don't worry about becoming pregnant since I don't build a lining. Love this pill.

July 18, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Disappointed..... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: My first three months on this pill were like a DREAM. I switched to it from Orsythia (which I had been taking for 3 years) because I was having painful periods and my sex drive was gone. This pill completely stopped my period with NO spotting or anything, and never any cramps. No acne, no mood changes. My breasts even grew. I was so happy. Now I am on month 4 and it is hell. I'm having migraines and nausea all day, and bad mood swings. I am stopping this pill and going back to my OB.

July 17, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by KenzoPage:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: So the first time I was on the pill, I was put on Beyaz. Beyaz made me gain about 15 Ibs. It made me crazy with mood swings. I got off of it within 6 months. After that I would go back and forth on whether to get back on birth control. So about a month and a half ago, I decided to go to the doctor for a check up. I told my doctor about my experience with Beyaz. He told me that he had the perfect birth control for me, Lo Loestrin Fe. I was scared to take it but it was worth a shot. If anything this birth control has made my weight stick. I have had NO mood swings. No weight gain. The only symptoms I've had was going from a C cup to a D cup, and breast tenderness near my period, which is overall normal for me. This is the best birth control by far.

July 17, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by NYC25 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I felt compelled to review this medication because of how scared I was when reading such scary recipes and side effects. I had tried taking Yasmin which made me gain weight, become increasingly moody and depressed and eventually stopped taking that. When it was time to start up again I was so nervous with Junel but I have nothing but good things to say. No weight gain, no acne, no moodiness, I have a very light, scheduled period, and it does what it's supposed to - prevents pregnancy. I've been on it about 2.5 years now. Love love it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by mitzi2011$$:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Menstrual Disorders: I love this pill.I have been on it for 3 years..it regulates my period and the lost of appetite has helped with weight lost..in February 2013 I weighted 282 it is July 2014 and I weight 236. I'm more emotional to movies and everything but thats fine

July 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Review by Mindybaeebayy:

Microgestin 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been taking Microgestin for almost a year now. It has been great at preventing pregnancy. The first three months I got mood swings bad, but now it works great! Absolutely love the pill!

July 12, 2014 12:46 PM

Review by October78:

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Second week on this, prescribed for my Polycysitc ovarian syndrome. I lost 4 pounds. I went from 146lbs to 142lbs in just a little over several days. I never had acne, so nothing in that department. But being 5 '5 my doctors want me to a healthy 115-125 to reduce my PCOS. Nothing but great things. I feel more feminine and less aggressive since my testosterone was so high.

July 12, 2014 3:03 AM

Review by TT47 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this birth control for over a year and overall I had a really positive experience with it. I didn't experience any mood swings, had little to mild acne around my period, never experienced any pregnancy scares, and had no nausea, headaches or weight gain. The only problem I experienced with it, and ultimately had to switch birth control because of it was the fact that I would throw up for hours whenever I consumed ANY amount of alcohol. To make sure it was the birth control, I stopped taking it and after 4 or so months I was able to drink again without any problems. Though I feel this is very rare situation, overall I believe this birth control was great.

July 11, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by givenitatry:

Gildess Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: So far I am extremely impressed! After beginning birth control on Reclipsen (the worst pill in the world) I began Gildess because my friend used it and claimed she actually lost weight! So I gave it a try. Weight loss did in fact occur. The junk food cravings that I had accumulated because of Reclipsen subsided quickly and my appetite has gone way down. I only get hungry about once a day. My severe cystic back acne is gone. GONE. It just vanished with this pill. My face cleared up a little as well and the overall texture of my skin is improved. Softer, smaller pores, clearer. NOW THE CONS: Nausea for the first 3 weeks. spotting for the first month. I'm a little more emotional but it's controllable. I really do recommend this pill.

July 10, 2014 4:23 PM

Review by Paige h:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Menstrual Disorders: I've been on this for two cycles and I hardly have any side effects! No weight gain or nausea like some others have experienced on it. I'm a little more sensitive and get more upset over things but overall it's been great. Just keep yourself in check and remember that you're on hormones when you start getting overly sensitive. I would recommend this.

July 6, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Dora Eugenia:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have been on Microgestin Fe 1/20 for almost 9 Months & I have to say that I can't complain. This birth control has worked very well with my body, few days or none periods, I do actually notice I get really emotional. Haven't noticed any difference in sex drive. Overall great pill.

July 5, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by OpposedSarah:

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I really liked this birth control. I only experienced light acne about a week before my period, no cramps, stomach pain, or any other period symptoms. My period always came the day I started the brown iron pills. They were so light most of the time I never even used a pad or anything. I haven't used a tampon since I went on the medicine. I ended up going on Yaz because my mom thinks I should have a heavier period and that it's not healthy even though my cycle is regular. Overall this pill is great.

July 4, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by Isebelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I started this as my first ever birth control pill. My doctor prescribed it to me because I had crippling cramps and nausea. The first month my cramps were completly gone and it was amazing, 3 months later they are exactly the same as before I started the pill. I get my period twice a month now. I've been getting chronic headaches, repressed appetites, spotting, and cramps. The pill has improved my acne and made me gain a little weight (which I don't mind because I'm on a weight gaining diet) but otherwise this isn't the medication for me. I totally need a stronger medication.

July 3, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Was on for 4 months or so... It was ok. I didn't have any of the "common" side affects and my mood was good. My period was light with minimal cramps and PMS. But-- I lost my libido completely and felt that I gained more weight on my thighs (and cellulite) despite eating healthy and working out-- never had this problem previously. I am having the IUD Skyla put in tomorrow. My doctor said that this should be "it". Minastrin may work for other women but the no sex drive and Weight gain was enough for me to throw in the towel.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about a year now. Its horrible I have gained about 40 lbs almost 5 lbs a month. I'm even eating less than I did before taking this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by unsatisfied221:

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I was taking this birth control for a little less than three years. I started when I was 15 for Polycystic ovarian syndrome. When I first started taking it I was EXTREMELY moody, it was as if all hell broke lose. After a few months my period became lighter and I had less cramps. This year was the worst: extreme depression, moodiness, severe cramps, long periods, Etc. The biggest issue I had was EXTREME weight gain (not at all in the right places) I had to get off it. I went from being 118 pounds to 154. Terrible experience. The only pro was that it cleared my acne. Finally switched so we will see how my new one works out.

June 28, 2014 12:45 AM

Review by LSelf:

Generess Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I went on this birth control a few months before I got married and have been on it for two years. I just finished my last pack, as we want to start a family soon. I had hormonal issues that lead to irregular periods and this birth control helped level them out. I have not had any emotional swings or weight gain. It was a great, low-dose birth control and successfully prevented us from having kids for two years. The only negative side effect I had was that it did slow down my libido. I could tell a definite difference in my interest in sex on and off this pill. This wasn't extreme - it just took more work to get me in the mood. I'm very pleased with this product and will probably return if the need arises for me to use birth control again.

June 26, 2014 9:37 AM