User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Balziva, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 1/35, Cyclafem 7/7/7, Dasetta, Dasetta 1/35, Dasetta 7/7/7, Estrostep Fe, Femcon Fe, femhrt, Generess Fe, ...show all 78 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Endometriosis 32 reviews 175 medications

Prevention of Osteoporosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone reviews 1225 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone

Review by mm3100:

Generess Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: LOVE this birth control! First 3 months were pretty rough as my body adjusted but now that I'm on my 5th pack I feel 100% like myself! No acne, no weight gain, no mood swings, great energy, normal appetite, etc. Once your body adjusts to it its a great birth control option!

August 22, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by TJ1234:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This is my first birth control ever. I am 18 years old, 116lbs and am on my third week. It made my vagina really dry. Gave me emotional mood swings. I am also upset at my boyfriend and feeling angry. I have no sexual drive. I am definitely going to try another pill.

August 20, 2014 12:10 PM

Review by Tbaby02:

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This is the first birth control I have ever been on, and it's awful. I only gave it a 10 because it does what it's suppose to. I've been on the pill for 6 months. The first three months I had severe acne. I've never had an acne problem until then. Spotting is a severe problem, I have to wear pads majority of the time (two weeks at the most with no spotting). Periods are very irregular, one day I'm good the next few days I'm not. I've experienced mood swings, and cramping. Not a good experience at all.

August 19, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by randombee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Microgestin 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Menstrual Disorders: I take birth control for my severe PMS symptoms, and this is easily the best I've tried. After a few days of very mild nausea in the beginning, Microgestin 1/20 has given me no noticeable side effects besides going up a full cup size. If anything, I've lost weight (including the three pounds I gained on my previous birth control), have had no breakouts or spotting, and cramps so mild that for the first time in a long time, I didn't need to take any pain medication. Plus, the low dose means no significant increase in breast cancer risk. I'd recommend this BC to anyone.

August 19, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by CMLM:

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I gained a lot of weight and had a significant increase in headaches. It left me feeling moody, tired and unbalanced.

August 19, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by marley1989:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Some background: I am 25, have never been on birth control and have regular periods. I'm on my 5th pack of Lo Loestrin Fe and so far am pretty pleased with it other than a few annoying things. I did experience some spotting in the very beginning, and when I started my 4th pack I got my period 2 weeks early which was surprising since I'm so used to having a regular period. I also seem to get a mild yeast infection around the time of my period which, as you can imagine, is awful. I don't really want to stop taking this pill because my skin has cleared up and I haven't gained any weight. Just dealing with the yeast with probiotics/yogurt and hopefully it'll all balance out. If not I'm just going to stop taking it.

August 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by Jenbb:

Nortrel 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: The first night I took This pill I got the worst headache that woke me up, followed by severe nausea and vomiting. Hours later my left arm went numb and I had to go to the urgent care. It was so scary! If this happens to you- stop taking it!

August 17, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by Brenna C:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for about 3 months now and I am really considering changing it. I have a really weird period side effect where it changes the color of my period & it makes it come early or late & it always makes me scared that I'm pregnant. Plus I can never loose weight being on this pill. Lastly, the pill makes me very moody as well. I am going to talk to my doctor about it at the end of the month.

August 15, 2014 1:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I took Lo Loestrin Fe for 9 months. It was the first contraceptive I had taken but my body had a hard time getting used to it. I broke out in mild hives, I had muscle aches, nausea, mood swings the first week. After that things pretty well smoothed out slowly I didn't break through bleed, didn't gain weight, acne cleared up maybe 5 periods the whole time I took it. It definitely helped with cramps and pain, which is why I began taking it. Though it worked good after about 5 months of taking it I began getting migraines and feeling tired all the time and cramping a little more so I'm switching off it, but it was good for me for a while I really liked it!

August 15, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Nicolemichelle:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Very fast weight gain. I have been on these pills about two months now and have gained 15lbs

August 14, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by scumbagsteph (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I'm rating it a 10 for effectiveness because it does what it's does. It's birth control. First month, some cramping (during period only), normal bleeding(yet lasted 10-13 days), no headaches, hormonal jawline acne cleared right up. Got my period irregularly still. -second month, no cramps, no headaches, hormonal acne still gone, somewhat still fighting steady acne, yet it's MUCH better, gained a few pounds, breasts got noticeably larger (especially for my boyfriend). Got my period on the first brown pill. I'm looking forward to month 3. Hope this helped.

August 14, 2014 1:02 AM

Larin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This pill was complete hell for me. It has made my anxiety about getting pregnant even worse. I get migraines and I am never hungry. I've lost 12 pounds and now in my fourth month of taking the pill, I can say I am really excited to start a new pill next month. Beginning this month, my breasts became really tender making my anxiety even worse! My cramps still exist and it does a good job at regulating my period, but my period starts and stops throughout the week of the placebo pills.

August 12, 2014 6:20 PM

Review by Periodless (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Overall, this is a great pill. I love that I am not putting nearly as many hormones into my body as other brands. However, there are some side effects that I've experienced. The first month was miserable for me. I had terrible mood swings as my body adjusted to the hormones. However, after the first month my mood and acne regulated. Like many other people who reviewed here, I did experience periods (almost constant) every other week for the first 4 months on the pill, but my cramps were nonexistent. With each month my period lightened and I haven't had a period (minus spotting) for 2 months now. Overall, this pill is great, but if you like a regular period to reassure yourself, try a different pill. My advice- wait it out!

August 11, 2014 2:14 PM

Review by Aleck:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on the pill for more than two months and all I can do is complain about it. I started taking it to regulate my periods but all it's done is make me have no periods at all- which doesn't help much either. It made me break out so much, and I'm always moody and angry.. as if I'm PMSing all the time. Not to mention I get all the lousy pre-period symptoms such as back aches and cramps, but no bleeding.

August 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by Emilyyyanne:

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I started taking Junel Fe after taking Sprintec for three months, and at first I liked it. It is effective for birth control, but I had the worst side effects. It made my face breakout, I gained some weight, and it made me so moody and depressed. Going on month five I spent a lot of time sleeping and spending time alone because of the pill.

August 6, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by anna g (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on Lo Loestrin Fe for almost a year now. I really haven't had very many side effects with it. The one thing that's been a major problem is inconsistency with my periods, which was a problem before I started taking birth control too. There have been months when I haven't had a period at all, and others when I've had a period as well as breakthrough bleeding mid-month. I'm switching to a pill with a little bit more estrogen in it to see if that will regulate my period better. I haven't missed any pills, and I take them within two hours of one another everyday. I was initially really worried about nausea being an issue, so I take them at night - but I've had no problems. I did have some breast tenderness for the first few months, but it's gone now.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Acai berry (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This is the first birth control I have been on, and after hearing all the birth control horror stories that friends/family had, I'm happy to say that my experience with this pill so far has been a good one! The first month or two I did experience some acne and occasional nausea, as well as going from a B to C cup (a welcome change.) However none of the symptoms have been any worse than symptoms of a period. My period lightened soon after beginning the pill packs and I stopped getting my period alltogether about 6 months after starting the pills, which (my Obgyn told me early on) was to be expected. My insurance also completely covers this pill, so that's definitely a plus!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by allimariem (taken for less than 1 month):

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on it for three weeks & 2 days . I love it . but I still have really bad cramps & I started my period again but just spotting .

August 6, 2014 3:33 AM

Review by Michelle M.:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: The pills stopped my period, caused mood swings, vaginal dryness and killed my sex drive. My husband thought I was not attracted to him anymore. I stopped using it after the 2 months and our sex was fine again. So was my period.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 6:03 PM

Review by princesspeach:

Minastrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I used to take the regular combined pill and would OFTEN get terrible migraines with black auras. It was really scary. Now that I'm on this for a mini pill I really haven't gotten them. I never took any other mini pill but this is way better for me than all the reg pills. My periods are SO much lighter and shorter. Yes I have gained weight and emotional sensitivity. But now that I know they are just side effects I know I can deal with them. I would take this over the scary migraine and heavy fainting periods anytime. I really think it depends on the individual how you like it. Also I really think you need to chew it like it says. I read somewhere that the enzymes in your saliva or stomach or whatever need to break it down properly.

August 2, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by Kelikinza:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I was on Microgestin for about 3 years. Over the past year, I started to get extremely bad headaches during the sugar pill week. I took extra strength Tylenol the entire week, twice a day, and it still didn't make my headaches go away. I also would feel very lightheaded and nauseous. I had to leave work early, it was bad. The only good thing was I've had the same box of tampons for the entire year. I barely had a period. Oh yeah, I also got high pigmentation right above my lips. They call it a "pregnancy mask" but you can get it with certain birth control. It is very dark and it is difficult to hide with makeup! I'm not a big fan of having a weird skin mustache so I went off it.

August 1, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by ChrissyGazerock (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: This pill worked very well for me. I have been taking it for over 2 years for my horrible menstrual cramps and I love it. I am a very petite 95 pound, 19 year old girl and this has not caused any side effects for me at all. I had no weight gain although I went from a B cup to a C cup, but that I didn't mind. Overall, very good birth control, definitely would recommend it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 5:46 AM

Review by Nickster18:

Lo Loestrin Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have only been on this pill for a week, however I already want to switch. I had acne problems before this pill and I thought by going on this I could kill to birds with one stone; clear up my acne and prevent pregnancy. But I cannot wait for this pack to be over so I can switch. Within the first day my acne got 10x worse and it's only been a week but it's worse than it's ever been in the last year! I don't even want to look in the mirror. I haven't noticed any other side effects yet but I won't be surprised if there's more negative ones to come.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Holisticjewels:

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Birth Control: Gained weight, felt depressed, worst experience of my adult life with birth control. 28yr healthy vegan -5'8 143lbs Two weeks on Gildess -160 Horrible nightmare. It's been two months and I've lost 5 lbs.

July 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by LRHB:

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Not a fan of this pill. Throughout my teenage years and twenties, I took either Ortho Tri-Cyclen or Yasmin. After the birth of my second son, my doctor switched me to Microgestin as I was searching for a lower dose option. Over the past several months on this pill, I have begun to experience acne, breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, and, just recently, intense cramping and lower back pain. The pain was so out of place that I requested an ultrasound and was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. While I certainly don't believe that Microgestin caused me to develop PCOS, I do believe that it has done a very poor job in controlling the symptoms and has left me with multiple, undesirable side effects. I will be going back to Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

July 24, 2014 12:38 PM