User Reviews for Efavirenz

Also known as: Sustiva

Learn more about Efavirenz.

Nonoccupational Exposure 1 reviews 24 medications

HIV Infection 4 reviews 67 medications

Occupational Exposure 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Efavirenz reviews 5 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Efavirenz

For HIV Infection: "4th month on this drug and i have never cried or think about killing myself, but yes, it really gets me depending on my mood i think. There are nights where i dont feel anything and others where i get drowsy, confused and cannot concentrate in anything. Some dreams can be really inmersive too."

mybadself July 18, 2015

For HIV Infection: "This drug makes me dizzy and light headed in about 5 hrs after. That is why that you take it at bedtime when you can and always on a empty stomach. The amount 600 mg in Atripla is not necessary for the same medical effect. The latest study in The Lancet, showed that 400 mg a day as working just as well as 600 mg with less side effects. Also CD4 counts are slightly improved on 400 mg vs 600 mg as well. I take 400 mg a day and I have experienced a marked improvement in being able to tolerate this drug and reduce my dizziness and light headed and possible nausea with the vertigo. I take this with one truvada a day. Reference: Lancet 2014; 383: 1474%u201382 Published Online February 10, 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(13)62187"

njrichie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2015

Sustiva (efavirenz) for HIV Infection: "Was on it for years before I developed resistance to it. MUST be taken at night to minimize side effects. Bad depression, confusion, random crying spells, feeling helpless, suicidal thoughts (& no I've never had it prior or after I stopped this medication). It does get better as the med levels out but the first couple weeks are torture! In a grocery store I sat on the floor crying because 3 things on my list were on the same isle. I've never experienced anything like that in my life!"

Bayne (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2015

Sustiva (efavirenz) for HIV Infection: "This is my 4th day on Sustiva. I've experienced drowsiness, mental confusion, anxiety and sleeplessness. I have to get used to not eating before taking as eating prior to, only makes those symptoms worse. I've developed a habit of bumping into things and when I drive, I'm not driving as I usually do, it's a little bit over the road, so be cautious with heavy machinery. The symptoms usually die down within 2 hours of my awakening and I feel somewhat like my old self. Like I said, it's only been 4 days, so hopefully, these symptoms will subside as I continue to partake. I definitely do not recommend drinking anything other than water with this medicine. The effects are way too powerful. One last thing, be careful with your steps, I fell at work."

The other just me January 8, 2012

Sustiva (efavirenz) for Nonoccupational Exposure: "Upon starting Sustiva, I noticed that I felt very dizzy and somewhat drowsy, as if I had just drank 2 or 3 glasses of wine within about 30 minutess of taking the medication. Also, it gave a similar confusion feeling. After going to sleep - it is recommended that you take the medication on an empty stomach and just before going to bed, I woke up without any hangover, drowsiness, or dizziness the next morning about hours later. I did have a little bit of nausea, but nothing that eating didn't resolve."

Anonymous May 21, 2009