User Reviews for Efavirenz

Also known as: Sustiva

Learn more about Efavirenz.

Nonoccupational Exposure 1 reviews 24 medications

HIV Infection 2 reviews 69 medications

Occupational Exposure 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Efavirenz reviews 3 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Efavirenz

Review by Bayne (taken for 10 years or more):

Sustiva (efavirenz) for HIV Infection: Was on it for years before I developed resistance to it. MUST be taken at night to minimize side effects. Bad depression, confusion, random crying spells, feeling helpless, suicidal thoughts (& no I've never had it prior or after I stopped this medication). It does get better as the med levels out but the first couple weeks are torture! In a grocery store I sat on the floor crying because 3 things on my list were on the same isle. I've never experienced anything like that in my life!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2015 9:04 PM

Review by The other just me:

Sustiva (efavirenz) for HIV Infection: This is my 4th day on Sustiva. I've experienced drowsiness, mental confusion, anxiety and sleeplessness. I have to get used to not eating before taking as eating prior to, only makes those symptoms worse. I've developed a habit of bumping into things and when I drive, I'm not driving as I usually do, it's a little bit over the road, so be cautious with heavy machinery. The symptoms usually die down within 2 hours of my awakening and I feel somewhat like my old self. Like I said, it's only been 4 days, so hopefully, these symptoms will subside as I continue to partake. I definitely do not recommend drinking anything other than water with this medicine. The effects are way too powerful. One last thing, be careful with your steps, I fell at work.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2012 8:52 PM

Sustiva (efavirenz) for Nonoccupational Exposure: Upon starting Sustiva, I noticed that I felt very dizzy and somewhat drowsy, as if I had just drank 2 or 3 glasses of wine within about 30 minutess of taking the medication. Also, it gave a similar confusion feeling. After going to sleep - it is recommended that you take the medication on an empty stomach and just before going to bed, I woke up without any hangover, drowsiness, or dizziness the next morning about hours later. I did have a little bit of nausea, but nothing that eating didn't resolve.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate