User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Cymbalta review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Cymbalta to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Review by Momma 1234:

Can't live without it

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 6:48 PM

Review by RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it.

January 2, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I’m a Type 1 Diabetic for 39 years. Had VERY painful muscle spasms/seizing and twitching. I tried various supplements which "should" have helped but no improvement. I started Neurontin at 1,800mg/day and I had terrible swelling plus gained 18 lbs in 6 months (and my eating habits actually got better while on it). The 1,800mg of Neurontin no longer controlled the muscle spasms. I started Cymbalta, 30 mg before bed, and had significant reduction in pain the first morning. I did notice a very strong headache that first day. I had only 3-4 muscle spasms that first day as well....Wow!! Second day...almost NO pain in the morning and only a dull headache with much weaker muscle spasms. Side effects: Crazy dreams, difficulty sleeping, headache.

January 25, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was not sure how well it worked at first. Then I was unable to get it for awhile, and was in a lot of pain, trouble getting through the day. I just wanted to sleep. Once back in my system I noticed the difference. This helps my depression, back pain, and the neuropathy.

September 14, 2012 9:21 PM

Did not work for me. I had nausea, abdominal & stomach pain, loss of appetite. I lost 5 lbs. in less than a week.

August 12, 2012 10:37 AM

Review by Sewanhaka100:

I started on 30mg Cymbalta daily with a little foot pain improvement - as this was still not enough my doctor put me on 60mg daily. I am so happy and relieved to be able to actually "walk" again and function like a normal person. I was crawling to the bathroom at night before for 8 months I was in pure agony. I have been on Cymbalta for 5 weeks and so far great results! Thank you Eli Lilly and my doctor.

February 18, 2012 1:23 AM

Cymbalta lessens the burning pain in my feet that used to wake me up and keep me awake at night. It often relieves burning pain almost completely.

September 6, 2010 7:28 PM

Review by kathygirl:

I was very unsteady on my feet, at first some of the pain was resolved, but it didn't work. Even though my feet were NOT swollen they felt that way, very tight feeling. It felt like I was walking on balloons, terrible feeling and I was afraid to walk with that unsteadiness. Didn't work for me, since then, I have been on many different medications. Neurontin, didn't help, amitriptiline, didn't help, Lyrica, didn't help. I am on nortriptyline now with a pain patch. The fentanyl patch really helps, but I don't want to stay on this forever, so trying different medications. I am only supposed to leave the pain patch on 3 days, and found with the new medication, nortriptyline, I can go 5 days. So I am hopeful here.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2010 10:50 AM

I have peripheral neuropathy and very bad pain in my back. Cymbalta made a huge improvement in my pain level. The doctor started me gradually to lessen the nausea. I have worked up to 30 mg. twice a day for a total of 60 mg. I have been taking it for 3 months and still find the pain level, and my frame of mind, much improved. I do have slight nausea occasionally, and dry mouth. The excessive sweating has gone away.

February 1, 2010 1:25 PM

Review by Jo.Nigle:

Cymbalta was the first drug that actually improved the diabetic neuropathy pain I was experiencing in my legs, feet, arms and hands. For the first time, I was able to sleep through the night without waking in tears from the pain. I was so happy my doctor put me on this drug in conjunction with Neurontin. The pain almost disappeared! Approximately 6-8 weeks later, I noticed that the neuropathy pain started back up again despite continuing on the medicines. I too, had insomnia making it difficult, at best, to be alert, focused or have any energy the following day. To this day, I still have some insomnia and an increase in the neuropathy symptoms; BUT Cymbalta 60mg & Neurontin 600mg are the BEST drugs so far in lessening the pain.

October 27, 2009 5:22 AM

Review by TerryinAlaska:

It was like a wonder drug at first. Then, even though I went up to the maximum dose of 60 mg, I can no longer tell I am even taking it. I stop it - then start it back up - still no help. It's just no good anymore.

October 20, 2009 6:45 PM

Review by Tomasue123AOL.com:

I was only able to take this for about 3 days. It made me so unsteady on my feet that falling was a great threat. I also spoke, looked and felt like a "drunken sailor". Totally uncoordinated and 'out of it'. It did nothing for my neuropathy.

September 4, 2009 5:38 PM

Review by KimberDawn38:

I've tried many, many different medicines for my nerve pain. Finally after being put on Cymbalta for my depression, I noticed that my nerve pain was not near as bad as it was before. I'm overwhelmed with my results. Almost to tears, of joy, instead of tears of pain! Thank you!

July 25, 2009 5:09 AM

Review by HAPPYKAT:

Works great on my nerve pains, due to diabetes.

June 26, 2009 11:24 PM

Cymbalta worked for my neuropathy for about 6 weeks then suddenly stopped working. I was very sad that is stopped. I did experience very bad insomnia but other than that I didn't have any major side effects.

June 11, 2009 4:10 PM

Debilitating side effects after only 2 hours with only one 60mg pill. Extreme sweating, fatigue, difficulty swallowing and walking. Next came the nausea and intense insomnia. Had to call in sick to work the next day due to lack of sleep and weakness. Didn't get out of bed until 3 pm.

June 9, 2009 3:43 PM

Review by hemaro:

Cymbalta has been a lifesaver for my Diabetic Neuropathy. In just a few days the pain and discomfort went away. The only problem I am facing with Cymbalta is insomnia even in combination with Xanax 4mg and Vistaril 150mg.

April 6, 2009 7:01 PM

Caused me to have serotonin syndrome.

February 25, 2009 9:25 PM