Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 49 reviews 125 medications

8.7
Colitis 3 reviews 2 medications

5.5
Summary of Dicyclomine reviews 52 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Dicyclomine

Review by DenDenDen:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Worked perfectly in the diarrhea stage, without causing constipation. Dosage was 10 mg 4 times a day (before meals and one at bedtime).

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 8:29 PM

Review by ehh80 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have dealt with severe flare ups from Irritable Bowel Syndrome for almost 3 years and the combination of Bentyl, Donnatal and when very bad, Lomotil, work together like a charm. Donnatal is my go-to medicine, but Bentyl does what it is suppose to do which is to help with the cramping and pain associated with flare ups. ZERO side effects at 40-60mg a day. Good medicine.

June 11, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Dnicack93:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've dealt with severe irritable bowel syndrome problems since about 14, and the older I got, the worse it got. Nothing really helped until Bentyl. The only medicine that has ever helped me this far. It works within half an hour. The one downside is I can only take it outside of work because I feel "high" within ten minutes, every time.

April 10, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by faith2015:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I was having trouble with bad cramps and loose stools daily for two months, going to the doctors weekly with no answers. Finally I went to a gi doctor who prescribed dicyclomine. This medicine has worked wonders. Its been two days and I no longer have to be worried about having loose stools every time I eat. I do monitor what I eat no spicy foods or soda and very little dairy. I'm taking 10mg 3 times daily. No side effects as of yet. I am glad it's working so well for me.

April 6, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by annonymous1989:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had horrible stomach pain before during and after bowel movements for 3 years before I saw a GI doctor and was diagnosed with colitis (not ulcerative). The GI doc prescribed me these after she saw spasms during my colonoscopy. They definitely help take the edge off. I use them a lot to nip the problems in the bud, so to speak. Once in a while though my symptoms are too severe for this medicine to work. But 90% of the time, this saves me a lot of discomfort.

March 13, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Sherylro:

For Colitis: This medication didn't work for me and it gave me some pretty bothersome side effects. I was only taking one 20 mg pill a day for a couple weeks. It made me very loopy and tired. The side effects I had were several severe hot flashes per day. Night sweats. Chest pain that would last a couple hours until I would randomly belch and it would instantly disappear. Stopped taking it and all side effects disappeared. I will never take that pill again.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 2:57 AM

Review by gorra92 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Doctors are not sure what is wrong with me. My symptoms activate during the night, around 2 to 4am the pain in stomach sometimes boating and other times a burning sensation that feels Bentyl. I have had this medicine sitting on my coffee table for 3 days without taking it because I hate taking pills and I was waiting for another attack. Doc wanted me to take them 3 times a day. This morning at 6am I was having the pain. The pain in my back is 10 times worse then my stomach. So I took one Bentyl and within 10 mins the pain is gone. This was my first pill that I have taken that actually took the pain away. I have an attack about 3 days a week.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by belly hurting:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have had IBS for about 18 years. Symptoms of bloating, swollen stomach, looking like I'm 6 mos pregnant, severe cramps, very loose bowels. Symptoms lasting weeks making me home bound and in bed. Eating crackers and drinking juice. I have went to a number of doctors. Finally my gastrollgist prescribing Bentyl. I was taking it 3 times daily then 2 times daily. Because of making me tired, I now only take it when I have flare ups. I try to take it at night when possible. This medicine has really helped me. I highly suggest it.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2013 11:21 PM

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, was going to the bathroom 10x times a day. Was prescribed this two weeks ago. Take 3x times a day. So far pill works great down to 2x times a day and my stomach looks smaller since I was always bloated. Only side effect I've noticed is it makes me tired during the day.

October 7, 2013 4:20 PM

Review by B Hawk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Meds: Subutex 8mg SL 2x daily (recovering addict), Bentyl 20mg oral as-needed up to 4x daily. I have irritable bowel syndrome flare-ups randomly, depending on stress level, caffeine/nicotine/stimulant intake, etc. The first few months, one 20mg Bentyl stopped a flare DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS. Now it doesn't and I have to double-dose, because when I flare, the pain is so severe that I begin vomiting, sweating, shaking, and cannot function at work. The double dose is effective, but causes blurred vision, cognitive impairment, and a general feeling of being "disconnected" or "high", minus any kind of euphoria. Going to discuss this with my PCP.

October 4, 2013 10:15 PM

Review by Raven1977:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I am now 35 and suffered from bowel problems since I was 13 that slowly intensified as I got older. I had tests after tests and was not allergic to anything and they could not find out what was wrong. The cramping would become so intense I thought I would pass out and cause bleeding by the time it stopped. Since they couldn't find anything wrong or out of the ordinary, the Dr. proclaimed that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Eventually I told him there has to be an option to stop the contractions in my intestine. He then prescribed this medicine to me. First at 10mg dosages. It helped but not entirely and ran out fast. Then he gave me 20mg. That did the trick! Only need to take as needed. Only side effect is being a little tired and rather be that than passed out.

September 14, 2013 8:04 PM

Review by JustMe7890:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C for most of my adult life, and this medicine is the only thing that calms everything down. I do not take it every day - only when things get intolerable, and even then I usually try to take it at night, as it does cause drowsiness and "cognitive impairment." It definitely works, though! In my opinion, it's worth a try.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by Cyndi Mc:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for : My doctors haven't figured out my stomach issues yet. It's been going on for over 6 years. I've been to MUSC and many specialists. After my last trip to MUSC I was put on Bentyl 20 mg. two times a day. This is the first time in years that I have felt like "living" again. I wish I would have been given this medication sooner.

August 5, 2013 8:17 PM

Review by big burl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have had surgeries that led to a few different infections in my bowel which has led to severe 10 out of 10 pain when passing bowel motion. The theory is scar tissue has caused this condition, but after all the tests there is no way to verify, because it is in the small intestine. Years of pain, three trips to ER with horrific pain, and a decade later a doctor put me on this. This medicine has been a miracle, never had any pain since, I went from suicidal to being able to function and even go on vacation. However, there has been side effects. I have had blurred vision, I am generally lethargic at all times, and nausea. All said and done, the side effects are nothing compared to the other pain, but they are bad at times.

July 28, 2013 6:16 PM

Review by Fifismom (taken for less than 1 month):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Where has this stuff been? I have been suffering with irritable bowel disease since the beginning of June and was prescribed Bentyl. The first few days were four 10 mg pills a day and that sent me into orbit, but the spasms lessened. Then I was to go down to two a day and I managed to be awake here and there. Now I am on a daily dosage of one a day. The side effects are sleepiness and a little cognitive impairment, but the cramping has decreased by 97%. For me, this has been a total blessing. As I feel better I am thinking of switching to taking the one pill at night instead of the morning. But for now, I am changing nothing. I eat a very bland diet, but hey, it is being processed normally.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Review by BCS BUG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Colitis: I had experienced the horrible symptoms of inflammatory bowel syndrome for about six months -- the urgent needs to find a restroom (occasionally without success in time), loss of weight, a hesitation to eat since I knew what would ensue, etc. I was referred to a gastroenterologist who, after several unsuccessful prescriptions, performed a colonoscopy and found the IBS/colitis. He prescribed 10 mg. dicyclomine and two Pepto-Bismol three times a day. The relief was almost immediate; I did learn they were more effective if I took them 15-30 minutes before eating. Perhaps because of the lower dosage that those mentioned in some of these other reviews, I haven't experienced the sleepiness or lack of energy. I love this medication!

June 28, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by ohiogurl:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have battled my stomach problems since I was a child. Then, one day my doctor prescribed me Bentyl, and I can really say when I have episodes this medication is definitely my lifesaver. My stomach problems first started out as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and now I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis, and the cramps and attacks that come with that disease are at least 10 times more intense than just IBS. This medication truly helps out a lot. There are times that I have to take two 20 mg tablets at a time. This medicine gets my recommendation 100%.

June 14, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by DebbieB64:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I was admitted to the hospital every 3-4 months, the pain was unbearable , vomiting, diarrhea. It would last 4-10 days, I had several specialist , none could help. I finally found a great doctor, she had it figured out in 20 minutes after REALLY reading my history. Bentyl is part a big part of saving me, I only take 10-20 mg when I feel the attack start, yes, I go to sleep, but not to hospital! Almost 2 years without a stay because of this medicine! I only take it when I feel the attack coming, but, it's been a life saver!!

April 28, 2013 3:53 PM

Review by Trudi1954:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Once or twice a year I have a severe intestinal attack. I've decided I can't eat green vegetables if they aren't cooked thoroughly, and chlorophyl seems to be the problem. The pain is so intense, I have to take pain medication and lay down. It takes my system at least a week to fully recover. After two weeks of a recent bout, I was prescribed Bentyl. It works! But I swear my IQ drops 30 points. That's the trade off. Bently relaxes the stomach and the brain!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2013 10:18 PM

Review by AndieGirl:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had stomach problems from the age of 14 and up. And naturally with how young I am and being so prone to ovarian cysts, my bloating up (looking 4 months pregnant at 110 pounds) and consistent stomach pains, they would always just assume it was a new cyst and give me pain medicine, even after being on TWO birth controls at once. When my doctor finally started to realize how frequently I was in so much pain that I'd just cry nonstop and the bloating would happen so often, he prescribed me Bentyl. I have to redo a endoscopy next month due to the last one not really working, but I can already tell a difference. I just don't like how goofy I can be and how overly excited I get. Other than that, I haven't had this kind of relief in years!

March 21, 2013 1:56 AM

Review by Tammy502 (taken for less than 1 month):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I always had a stomach like a goat nothing bothered it then at 47. I had to go to ER they gave me Bentyl and it helped. I had another attack and screamed in pain my husband reminded me of the Bentyl and I took a drink of the liquid and pain stopped right then. This is a wonderful medication...I can function. I get a little loopy but no pain. I was diagnosed with IBS-C.

February 16, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by tummytales (taken for less than 1 month):

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Unfortunately, I have not had a good experience with Bentyl. I've had severely blurred vision after just 3 days of taking 10mg 3 x's per day along with extreme bloating. I have been extremely uncomfortable and stopped taking the medicine. Hopefully there is something else available to help my symptoms.

February 10, 2013 10:41 PM

Review by Riyac3po:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I take Bentyl for irritable bowel syndrome flare ups and it does work for me. I would suggest taking it at night before bed or make sure your home because it can cause drowsiness and dizziness and dry mouth. This is an anti spasmodic. Also known as a muscle relaxer. So be careful when taking this. It really does work wonders.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by mgibs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: For years, I didnt know what was wrong with me. I gave up drinking alcohol because even enjoying one glass of wine would cause my stomach to bloat and I would be in so much pain it would even be hard to get to sleep. I guessed maybe an ulcer or acid reflux, something along those lines. Finally, I was able to go see a specialist. I told him I would have severe pain from eating certain foods or drinking certain things. I also had a lot of trouble with constipation and having regular bowel motions. He decided to first give me DICYCLOMINE and see how things went. I also started to change my diet, in with the good, out with the bad. Been almost a year now ....DICYCLOMINE-my lifesaver!

January 22, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by Ghostpsalms:

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: When I first started taking Bentyl it worked very well. Aside from the side effects of being drowzy & light headed it did the job it was meant to. However, over the past year problems started to occur more frequently, thus stressing me out & making the cycle continue. I would up the dose but side effects worsen. Overall it takes off the edge. I give it a 7.

January 18, 2013 12:16 AM