User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I'm on my second script. I still have gastritis so I'm not taking it anymore."

DLPorter January 10, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "IBS-D for about 10 yrs. bentyl is the only drug that will help for me ! Within 10 mins of taking! Every time!"

#wonderdrug (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2015

"Not sure I'd the Bentyl is working or not! I have lots of upper stomach pain along with right side pain and in the last 24 hrs dull green mucus diarrhea! I had to scans, one with dye but both came back neg! The bentyl seems to calm down the upper stomach pain but I'm now having this mucus issue????"

Tova (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

"I take bentyl for IBS and diverticulitis. It works great. Usually starts to work within about half an hour. Side effects for me is drowsiness and blurred vision but I will deal with that in order to reduce pain from IBS/diverticulitis. I would highly recommend it but start it at home or when you have time to sleep off the drowsiness until you get use to it."

Kim76 December 22, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Was great for first day or so but then struck by horrible side effects. Cramps in my legs so bad I could hardly walk and literally didn't get a wink of sleep at night due to the pain and restless legs. Blurred vision and very bad nausea also. Would advise a low dose at first to see how it goes but beware of side effects."

JoePublic (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

"This medication at first can have some strong, sedating side effects, but as long as you hang in there they will diminish. This medication has really helped my life. And I know it will help many others, from the cramping, the constant back and forth to the bathroom, not being able to eat, or eat to much, it just makes you normal again. It took me about 2 weeks to start seeing changes again but you will feel the effects right away. Just stay with it people."

NW49ERSFAN1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"I just got diagnosed with IBS and was given Bentyl to get rid of the worse cramping pains I ever had. It worked great but caused severe panic attack. Had to switch"

Doana (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

"I have know been on Dicyclomine (Bentyl) for 3 weeks now and it has its pros and cons. It definitely takes my stomach pains away, even without my pain medication if I don't have them on me. And most of the time it gives me a relaxing feeling as well. But the only down side is the couple side effects is sometimes it will make my nausea worse, so at times I will have to double up on my nausea medication and there has been a couple times were it made my anxiety worse. But I'm hoping these symptoms will fully go away the more my body gets used to it. I was on Librax but the stomach medication in Librax didn't work for me, just the anxiety part of the medication in librax helped, so there was no point in taking it. Thanks Bentyl!"

NW49ERSFAN1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"I took 1 tablet and within 5 minutes had the calmest bowel in years with very digestive discomfort at all. Only been taking it for 2 days and still trying to find my best dosage and times to the medicine but I feel better than I have in a long,long time. I'm in the UK and have IBS D and had to research the drug before asking my GP to prescribe it. Give it a go and it might help you a lot too."

Lenin66 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

"It stopped the stomach pain and diarhea but it gave me constipation really bad."

yellow Taffy November 10, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have battled IBS for years, have been several doctors with no luck. About a year ago I had horrible stomach/abdominal pains and diarrhea and ended up in the E.R. the doctor gave me Bentyl and Zofran. Within half an hour the cramps disappeared and I was able to relax. When I followed up with my primary doc he put me on a normal daily dose of bentyl and it works great for me. I now only take it as needed and the only complaint I have is that it definitely blurs my vision but it keeps me functioning and works pretty quickly when needed."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Years I have had IBS. I hate it. So embarrassing. Bently helped so much. No more cramps. No more pain. No more running to the bathroom or missing time at work. The dry mouth is terrible but it's better than almost pooping my pants so I will put up with it."

IBS bullet. November 4, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I do take Bentyl on occasion for IBS but wondering if anyone with the Eustachian Tube problem is seeing any relief with Bentyl. My ears are driving me crazy. I did have a huge weight loss several years ago and my NET seems to think this created my ear problem. Weight gain seems to be my only option at this point but I am comfortable at my current weight. Anybody else having the echo/roaring problem???"

KatahKid October 31, 2015

"this medicine works great, but it makes me feel high and stoned."

cammdoet October 22, 2015

"finally, one doctor diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome and prescribed me bentyl (dicyclomine) 10mg. now when i have an attack i take one of these and within 30 minutes and a heating pad on my stomach, the pain goes from a 10 down to about a 1. the only downside is that it makes me feel stoned and high like a smoked about 5 joints, i feel very confused and very tired. but all in all it works very good for the pain"

jibbers October 22, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I asked my Dr. about Bentyl and she gave me a script for it. I've had chronic pain for almost 3 years, lots of testing, but no real diagnosis. Took 2 (10mg) 3x a day, didn't help, added 2 more at the end of the day and feel relief. Anyone else out there have my weird symptom of colon, intestinal pain right after a bowel movement, and lasting all day? I got fired 2.5 years ago because I was always out sick. I am very happy this medicine seems to be working. Anyone else have anything that works on intestinal pain?"

Shadows mommy September 7, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have had trouble with cramping in my stomach and having the urge to use the restroom 5 times a day sometimes diarrhea and sometimes nothing . It was getting to the point where when I would lay down at night, my stomach would start cramping. I eventually had gotten under the grips of anxiety I figured I was WAY too young to have all these complications (I am 19 yrs. old.) so I went to the doctor and told him about my anxiety, stomach cramps, etc. He prescribed me Zoloft and Ativan. They didn't help at all and I finally hit rock bottom. I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Bentyl. This drug is a miracle. I finally feel like I can live and breathe again! I don't have the worries like I had before. THANK YOU BENTYL!!!!!"

JayW218 September 4, 2015

"Well, thanks to IBS I have to take these meds. Originally I was taking hyosciamine as needed for the pain which wasn't often...unless I was under stress. All of a sudden my stomach aches returned for no reason and the hyosciamine was no longer helping. My Dr switched to the dicyclomine and within a few days, I feel better. I am also on the FODMAP diet so I feel great today. I haven't noticed any side effects as of yet but perhaps I'll update shortly with any changes."

Kakeface August 26, 2015

"Well I have taken many hard drugs in my day! You name it I probably did it! I am not bragging believe me! When you finally grow up, Your stories of drug use and parties turn to shame! And then you wonder how you could have ever been that stupid! But I need to add my history of drug use to make my point here. I have used heroin and many other varieties of opiates. And then finally I used methadone to get off the opiate drugs, Anyway, I was prescribed Dicyclomine 20mg for IBS. And I can honestly say Dicyclomine knocks me on my behind! And it feels very similar to opiates, (At'least for me anyway), (Other people and events and circumstances may vary!) It has helped very well with my IBS. So please people! Be careful if you take this drug."

BEBlair July 31, 2015

"This is my 2nd bout with DIverticulitis (I also have IBS), it works like a charm but I have to mention the first time I took it- I noticed sleepiness. This time, however, I noticed severe agitation and insomnia after 7 days of taking it steady."

Sunny1649 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Great at first until you have to take as therapy for years. I have Headaches, confusion, memory loss, Mania, loss of sleep, I already have Anxiety disorders, This stuff can facilitate Glaucoma, Alzheimers. Blurrs vision from the start! Terrible no integrated health care so docs can learn to see the whole patient and avoid severe disruption of life. I'd rather nurse the severe trouble of advanced diverticular disease, IBS, Fructose malabsorbtion, Hiatus hernia type2, GERD, LPRD. I would rather not be blind and loose what is left of my mind. Terrible medication in the long run. Patients should be educated, better monitored for complications for all medical issues."

Margie1957 June 26, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Every couple of months, I get an upset stomach due to stress. I get a crampy stomach, full stomach sensation and irregular stools. Bentyl is gentle and just calms everything down. You don't really notice it working. The symptoms just fade off. I would say it is not helpful for nausea. In that case, I find that old liquid Pepto Bismol is the most effective."

Ken0808 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "IBS in south america. The little pink pill. Sertal Compuesto (Propinox clorhidrato, Clonixinato de lisina) I'm 65 and a veteran. I've had this condition for 20 years at least. When I visited Ecuador a few years ago I had an attack that put me on the floor (again). It wasn't food or the water! I'm a big boy and I know the difference. I had to return to the apartment and cry and roll around like a baby. The woman I was with went to the pharmacy and got a syringe and some Sertal Compuesto. 10 mins after the injection the IBS was gone. No pain. I stopped crying due to the pain and began crying because I was so happy. It also comes in a pink pill that takes about 30 mins to work. I had attacks every 6 months. I changed the diet lost weight etc. Nothing worked. Sertal Compuesto works. The FDA won't allow it into the USA for sales. Must be purchased elsewhere. I now live in Ecuador. I keep both pills and injection on hand."

bob2v2 May 9, 2015

"I have suffered from SEVERE intestinal cramping since middle school. As I got older the cramping got worse. My weight fluctuates because I sometimes would go full days without eating out of fear of getting an attack while I was out an event or with friends. It was just totally humiliating and gave me terrible anxiety. Now, I am a teacher, have been for 5 years. Suffering at work is the absolute worst because it reflects on my performance and is just totally humiliating and uncomfortable. This year was the worst and i would have attacks on the way to work. I missed a lot of work so went to a new doctor. He gave me dicyclomine. I take it as needed and calms the cramping within 20-30 min. Miracle pill. Also cut pork, corn, and beef from foods."

IBS, severe cramping (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've been on bentyl for a little over a month now. At first it was great, helped with the painful attacks I was having. Now I'm so dizzy from it that I can't function even as a stay at home mom. I can't drive to my Dr appt and all I do is sit at home in a daze."

mom of 14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2015