User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, ...show all 62 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 696 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Don't take it! First, it doesn't work. Second, I had stomach pain starting about 15 minutes after I took it. Sick stomach for hours. Then about 5 hours in I started throwing up violently. Delysim is the only thing I had in my stomach."

Rigby68 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

"After taking the cough syrup, in less then an hour I had such intense cramping in my stomach that I had a hard time walking straight, it was pure torture! Then I had nightmares All Night and didn't sleep good at all, missed work because of it the next day...the worst part, it made my throat tickle even more then before I took it."

Izashift April 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took the recommended dosage of Delsym and it went in my mouth and set my throat on fire I have never felt pain like that I couldn't sleep at all I sat up all night crying I've never felt pain like that from a cough medicine or so-called cough medicine"

Amber061684 April 7, 2016

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Paid $10.00 for 3 oz bottle. Took as directed and did not stop coughing. Only upset my stomach. Called the company and they would not stand behind their product. No return policy for unused portion."

Jim J. April 1, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "At the risk of someone thinking I'm the "same person as other posters," I'm Posting my real name. I've had a nagging cough, and chose to try Delsym again, as I've had success in the past with it. I commute 30 miles to work. I got within a mile of my office and coughed.......and pooped all over myself. Yes. Explosive diarrhea in my scrubs! It was awful. I'm sitting in the work parking lot,calling the girls outside since I can't move out of my car! Forward......I'm home but can't get more than twenty minutes away from a toilet. If you take this, trust me, you won't cough, just like it says, for 12 hours. You'll be afraid to. Take something else, please. After all, it has been a terribly shi€€y day for me."

AngelaIsMyRealName (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Didn't do anything for my cough, as a matter a fact I was scared to cough because I didn't want to poop my pants!!! 45 minutes after taking this I had explosive diarrhea, my stomach was bubbling I thought I had to pass gas so I attempted to do so to my surprise it wasn't gas but explosive diarrhea it was all over my bed. Stay away from this product unless you want to loose weight!!"

The squirts (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Cramps, nausea ,diarrhea 24 hours off hell explosive watery discharge do not take."

Puddin boy March 16, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Severe stomach pain & dierria"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "like several other reviewers, I also got the stomach gurgles, then watery diarrhea after taking Delsym "

soops February 18, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Bottle impossible to open without vice grip pliers. Diagram on the bottle lid is completely useless. It indicates " 1.push down and 2. turn anticlockwise" but will not open with these manipulations. Possible that I got a bottle from a defective batch in manufacturing (bar code 3 63824 21366 8), made in England, where the QC is much better than in, say, China. Written instructions on the peel to read label would be useful. Also why not add a trivial amount of sucrose such as 1 gram (1/100th of the carbs in one slice of bread) instead of toxic/carcinogenic/laxative EDTA, benzoate, propylene glycol, propyl gallate, sorbitol, sucralose, and beet color instead of FD&C Red #40? The anhydrous citric acid would suffice as a nontoxic preservative."

axxis (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "It helps with the cough but gave me uncontrollable diarrhea. I wouldn't recommend this product"

John g ( garza) February 15, 2016

"I just took Delsym an hour ago and now my cough is worse and I have some bowel movements."

classified name (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Only made a slight difference in coughing. A bag of cough drops is more effective."

Pierre108 February 4, 2016

"Took my first dose last night before bed since I have been having a nagging cough from allergies. Helped suppress the cough a little (not completely) but I was up on and off all night with anxiety, nausea, night sweats, and of course, coughing. It is now 2pm the following day and I have been extremely dizzy all day and have been having very gassy diarrhea and stomach cramps. I have been stuck at home all day feeling bad. Will never use this medication again. I prefer coughing over vertigo and diarrhea."

Robitussin DM February 2, 2016

"This cough syrup gave me the WORST diarrhea ever. Maybe I'm allergic to one of the ingredients or maybe it is a common side effect. I had bad stomach gurgling too. Go with robitusin day or night, and also robitusin night formula. It worked great!!"

Caliguy January 27, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Did not help my cough or sickness at all."

Madi398 January 23, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I bought this medicine for my husband and after reading all these reviews I was hesitant to give it to him. His coughing not only kept him up but myself. He did take it after all and believe me he slept through the night and so did I. I can honestly say I am glad I did not listen to these reviews it really worked."

melodia January 22, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I wish I had read the reviews before taking this product! Forty five minutes after taking Delsym I had lots of belly gurgling then painful cramps and then immediate violent diarrhea! I got so dizzy & lightheaded while sitting on the toilet I almost passed out. I will never take this product again & will advise all friends & family to avoid it as well. As far as suppressing my cough, I was too afraid to cough for some time after the diarrhea started!!"

Smarter now January 20, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This cough medicine was not only ineffective, the grape taste and consistency was awful. Waste of money."

Did not work (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Stopped my cough and I was able to sleep. But I was awakened a couple of times during the night with a severe diarrhea accident. I don't think I'll take again for that reason. The diarrhea past in about 12 hours."

ggtexas (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Complete waste of almost $15 I paid for a bottle of this stuff. It made my cough & dry throat even worse so that I got very little sleep. I've taken it for 3 nights, each night with the same result, I wish I would have read reviews beforehand, I definitely would not have bought this."

ajk64 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Helped the dry cough for sure! But I am currently on the can as I write this. The reviews are spot on (Wish I read them before I took up to 3 doses). I've traded a horrible cough for uncontrollable bowel movements!"

InformedConsumer89 January 6, 2016

Robitussin Cough Long-Acting (dextromethorphan): "Took Robitussin dm cough and chest congestion dm for a persistant cough. Took 2 doses and my stomach is twisted and I have bad diarrhea. Took my cough down but I'm so sick to my stomach. Need to stop taking it to go back to work tomorrow."

Teacher with cough for months (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Worse thing I have ever purchased in my life. Coughing worsens with this and didn't let me sleep all night. Triggers dry throat and cough attacks."

Anonymous January 2, 2016

"Took delsym cough about one hour ago. It has suppressed my cough but I now have diarrhea and my head is spinning."

girlwithacough December 31, 2015