Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Omnicef

Learn more about Omnicef.

Omnicef review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Omnicef to treat Otitis Media

This is my first time taking this medicine. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and ear infection. I was told to take probiotics to prevent any diarrhea. I have not had any side effects. I'm feeling much better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2011 5:57 AM

My son has taken this before and it worked fine. My 17 month old daughter was just prescribed this after amoxicillin didn't take care of her ear infection. After 4 days, her gums swelled up really bad, became bright red and then started bleeding on the 5 day. She also developed diarrhea. I immediately took her back and they put her on Zithromax. I think we are finally on something that will work for her. My son can take this medication, but my daughter can't.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2011 9:26 AM

Review by jwbigtex:

I have taken this several times for ear infections. I am currently taking for a Strep infection and it has always done great by me with minimal side effects. I recommend.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2011 6:32 AM

My daughter, who was 14 months at the time, had a severe reaction to this medication after being prescribed for 3rd ear infection in a year. She actually got worse and had severe side effects (aside from the gastrointestinal as mentioned by others) including vomiting, continued high fever and by the end of the second day - hives. I list it as a drug allergy now on all her medical paperwork.

November 6, 2010 6:52 PM

This is the only antibiotic I will request for both of my children when they have ear infections. It is a one dose a day medicine that begins working very quickly and clears the infection. Diarrhea is a side effect, but can be controlled with diet and limiting dairy.

June 21, 2010 9:51 AM

I'm adult woman with fluid buildup. This medicine cleared up the infection but the fluid is still there. Moderate side effects of nausea. On to something else...

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2010 11:58 AM

Review by future rn:

My daughter is 11 months and has taken Omnicef for 4 days now. Using it for bilateral ear infection. She has spit up a few times but is feeling a whole lot better. No other side effects. Hopefully she will keep getting better. Only time will tell. Definitely would recommend this antibiotic.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2010 6:52 PM

I was prescribed Omnicef for a sinus infection that caused fluid to collect behind my inner ear. It worked great for the first 6 days. Somewhere around the 7th day I developed terrible vaginal itching. Worse than anything I have ever experienced before. As soon as I stopped taking it the itching went away within 2 days.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2010 12:36 PM

Review by Jennilynne82:

My son had an ear infection and the doctor always gives amoxicillin first and it never works he always has to get Omnicef and then he starts getting better, he does have light diarrhea occasionally but nothing too horrible. I've had an ear infection myself and I was sick for 2 weeks before I went to the doctor. Thought I had a bad cold but when it just wouldn't go away found I had fluid build up in my ear. They prescribed Omnicef and it worked. I didn't have any diarrhea even though I already have severe IBS! I'd definitely recommend it.

January 1, 2010 4:29 AM

Review by mother of twins:

My daughters have been on this for three days for an ear infection. It is not working, they are still running 103 and 104 fevers. Called doctor they are calling in something different.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2009 10:21 PM

My 2 year old has been on this medication for 4 days and yesterday started having severe diarrhea. Her little bottom is raw from it. I have immediately called her doctor to have this medicine changed. Apparently she cannot tolerate it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2009 2:25 PM

This drug started working but gave me the worst case of diarrhea. Very hard on the gastrointestinal tract.

August 21, 2009 1:39 PM

Cured the ear infection but caused horrible diarrhea that continued for a while after stopping it, for 14 month old daughter. Very harsh on the digestive system.

August 19, 2009 8:55 AM

My 11 month old was treated with Omnicef for ear infection but it did not work. No side effects, just ineffective for her.

April 13, 2009 1:19 PM

My son who just turned one year old was prescribed this medication after 2 medications prior did not work to cure his ear infection. I was skeptical of using this medication at first but after the desired result was achieved I certainly do not regret it.

April 13, 2009 12:53 PM

My infant had an ear infection and we tried 3 other antibiotics that didn't work. We were about to get referred to a specialist when we tried Omnicef and it worked.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate