User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I started taking bupropion hcl 150mg about 3 weeks ago at the same time I quit useing zoloft 100mg, going off of zoloft was the hardest thing for me, it was hell, but I hung in there, today I am really happy that I'm off of it, and the bupropion at 300mg a day is excellent for me, no depression, sex drive back fully, it took about a week to adjust to, but I love it now, my mood is balanced to the level up to good mood too, so far no bad mood, no longer a zombie on zoloft, yay for me. just a tip for going off of zoloft, it gets bad, but in a few weeks it clears up, I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't, Again I feel alive , :)"

badblue March 23, 2016

"My last medication Velafaxine stopped working thank God! I was on it for four months and in that time I gained more than fifty lbs. Seasonal depression, dry mouth, unsociable, and had no interest. I started Bupropion HCL tabs to 150 and had a few side affects. The one that was so hard has stayed is restless sleep that wakes me up really early. Dry mouth, shaking in the morning, constipation, drowsiness and I expect these should go away. But sleeping will be the hardest. I feel happy, doing projects, want to be with people, energetic, I'm back to charity running. And the weight is starting to come off. I was close to eating nothing with the other med. Give this a try. Gave my life back."

Rkpublic March 1, 2016

"I'm 37 and have depression, usually seasonal, - sleeplessness, and occasional anxiety. I took 100 mg of Wellbutrin (and nothing else, it replaced zoloft at the time) for around 3-5 days. Within 2-3 days I was quite agitated, anxious and easily annoyed. By day five I stopped taking because I felt hostile and again annoyed. Cannot speak for others, but this one really made me a monster and I have never, not once, felt like that from any of these: zoloft celexa trazadone"

nicknamehasbeentaken December 22, 2015

"Each person reacts differently to anti-depressants. This is input from both me and several other patients I have spoken to in the hospital and outpatient programs with similar accounts: Wellbutrin is a miracle drug for some people, but, especially if you are bipolar, you have to be extremely careful about the dosage. I've had severe depression symptoms for 10 years. After a month of starting, I didn't have what I would consider a moderate depressive episode for the next two months, and can now enjoy life again. But previously, I went on a dosage that was too high, and rapid cycled terribly. Communicate A LOT with your doctor. I DID have frustrating side effects, but they subsided. You can't just assume how a drug will work after two weeks."

Mk2349820934 September 1, 2015

"I can't take most antidepressants because they'll trigger a mixed, hypo, or total manic episode; for over 3 years, not this one. Only recently have I stopped from slipping into a mixed episode, but Wellbutrin XL @ 150 mg has helped keep balance when others caused chaos. No weight gain, increased sex drive, decreased appetite."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 16, 2015

"I have been on my antidepressants (celexa, lexapro, effexor, prozac, lithium, lamictal just to name a few) lexapro seemed to work best for me, however after a couple years its effects have reduced and I started to get angry, easily annoyed, and I always get tired around 3 or 4 pm and need a siesta so to speak. My Dr put me on Wellbutrin SR HCL 100mg once a day to try and combat the tiredness from the lexapro. It was filled with the generic version. I must say both my wife and I notice it has worked wonders for my anger and agitation, however I am twice as sleepy and groggy on it and have to take it before I go to sleep and when I get up I'm exhausted. Its doing the opposite of what almost every review I've seen for me. Im going off of it asap."

Merc99 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"im 19 they put me on this originally for anxiety but apparently im bipolar according to the psych evaluation test. The first day on it i basically felt "high" since then Ive felt pretty great. I also take Gabapentin(for fibromyalgia) and prozac."

sparksrus (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

"I was started on Wellbutrin about 2 months ago, along with Lamictal for mood-stabilization. I reluctantly got on it after a year free of meds (when I got hit with a bad case of Seasonal Depression beginning in fall and lasting through March and some of April, after a move to mostly gloomy Asheville, NC. I started off on half a tablet of 75mg regular release. Then I went up an extra half a tab. At first I thought it was great and then I started to feel low down again and went up to 150 mg. Slowly, I noticed feeling quite agitated and almost aggressive. I cut back down to just one tab and then half a tab and still the side-effects persisted, along with horrible anxiety and restlessness. So no more for me."

Cat66a (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

"My doctor put me on this medication because I told him I get tired and moody throughout the day.. I had no plans to quit smoking cigarettes. I have been smoking for 5 years, 1/2 pack a day. After the 4th day, the cigarette kept on tasting worse and I couldn't even smoke a whole cigarette. Hopefully I just quit, it's best for me and my health. The cravings for cigarettes aren't there anymore. On the 3rd day, I felt really weak and light at work. Felt like I was going to throw up."

Tony! March 6, 2015

"This was the first antidepressant I responded to when I started it back in 2012. Initially it caused a little nausea, and again with each dose increase, but it was very mild and didn't last longer than a week. It brought me right up out of a deep, dark pit. At the time, I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar yet, so I wasn't taking any mood stabilizers. Once they realized I was, I was put on lamotrigine, and it has been a staple part of my medical regimen since then. I'm currently on 300 mg XL, and 400 mg lamotrigine ER. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet!"

mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2015

"Started taking in 2007, weaned down to approximately 60 mg. per day (average). Has been the best antidepressant thus far, way better than Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac. Fewer side effects, and manages my mood disorder."

Mary255 May 28, 2014

"When I had a dlifficult time getting a refill due to insurance issues, I missed a few days and talked to my doctor about trying to go without. I take Xanax ER 2mg and Lamictal 200mg both twice daily. I was fine for about 2 weeks. When I spiraled downward, it was bad. I ate, slept, and cried. I never missed a day of work, but I sure felt like running out of there. Finally, things worked out with insurance. I am actually glad to take a 3rd medication realizing how it helped me. It has been about 6 weeks since I took my last dose. I begin again tomorrow. So, my story can be summarized as depression and frustration levels returned within 2 weeks of stopping bupropion XL 300mg. Don't just stop!"

Ohmeohmy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2014

"I was put on Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, I had zero personal or family history of any mental health issues. The Wellbutrin did not work for smoking cessation, so my doctor took me off it abruptly. I suffered from the common on the Internet, but completely unheard of by doctors, Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms of "brain zaps" or "brain shivers," odd sexual side effects, and powerful dreams. These adverse withdrawal effects from Wellbutrin were then misdiagnosed (according to the DSM) as bipolar. So in my case, Wellbutrin withdrawal effects were the etiology of a bipolar misdiagnosis."

Anybody November 7, 2013

"I've been taking bupropion 450 mg/day, for at least five straight years. On two previous occasions, I would take it for a year or so and then refrain when things stayed sunny. Obviously they didn't remain that way, so this time around I'm firmly committed to it. I have had a tendency to rapid cycle. When I returned to bupropion the last time, the doctor also put me on Lamictal and Abilify. Last year, under her guidance, I weaned myself off of those. After all these years of dealing with BiPolar Disorder II, I am fairly well attuned to know when I might need to return to one or the other. I take bupropion, with food, soon after waking as it does interfere with sleep. I've had no other bothersome side-effects and no alcohol issues."

Male, 57 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2013

"I've been taking bupropion 200mg for roughly three weeks to treat Bipolar depression. I have not had success with any other antidepressants. For me, Wellbutrin has been great. It has increased my energy level dramatically, as well as improved my mood. It's not a cure all, but it's certainly helping. The side effects - I take it in the morning to avoid trouble sleeping. Increased my anxiety somewhat the first week. Higher libido. Markedly reduced appetite. I need to remind myself to eat, and I've lost 5 lbs. Others have mentioned a bad interaction with alcohol which I have not experienced. I've had up to three drinks with no problems. My overall experience has been good, this is a great medicine if it agrees with you."

male, 29 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2013

"It was actually pretty good. It gave me energy, suppressed appetite. Improved my ability to complete tasks and helped improve my mood. Did make my PMS worse. My pdoc took me off it because it was making my hair fall out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2012

"I'm not sure yet what to think. I've been on 300 mg of Bupropion XL for one week and feel angry, edgy and cranky. "

Anonymous January 12, 2012

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I am going to be as fair as I can be. As we can carefully repeat that not every medicine will work for everyone. But what I can tell you is that this medicine did nothing for me. Instead, it made my anxiety shoot through the roof, to the point where I thought I was being watched and stalked by law enforcements. I was deathly afraid of them taking me away, for what reason, I have no clue. It made me land in the psych ward. I would perspire in generous amounts! I would feel extremely guilty of past wrong doings (even the most minor thing I've done wrong in my life would be the topic of debate in my head). I wish you all a happy healing and good luck on your search. "

Killer Whales September 29, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "When I first started taking it it gave me anxiety but once finding the right dose it works very well with no adverse side effects."

jennpugli August 31, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I took Wellburtin for 2 months at 100mg to treat bipolar disorder type I. Wellburtin did help my mood, but I distcontinued due to nausea, dizziness, and hand tremors."

volynn May 14, 2011

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I have taken Wellbutrin SR for about 8 months and I can tell a great difference between the brand name and the generic. "

ren54jr August 9, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been through 10 medications trying to find what worked, because I was so miserable. Wellbutrin along with Seroquel and Effexor were the only thing that have worked for me and I haven't dared to meddle with the wonderful combination I take."

Anonymous June 30, 2010

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Tons better than medicines like Paxil and Depakote (sleep your life away)...even-keel pretty much...sometimes I have coffee with friends (10a.m.) and I can feel a slight rush but if that's the down side of this for me, then I'll take it until they tell me that I can't anymore."

troyz March 6, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been annoyed all the time since I can remember. Always a pessimist. I figured if I expected the worst possible scenario anything better was a win. It was as if I was at war with the world, everything was a battle. Been on Welbutrin for 6 weeks now, 300mg a day in 2 doses to start. Gave me ridiculously bad headaches (I suffer from migraines already) but my mood, interest, and general sense of well being were better. Doc changed me from 2 doses to 3 doses a day (still 300 mg). No more headaches but slight insomnia so far. 3-4 hours a night now, usually get 6-7 hours of sleep. And I have the dry mouth as well. I will deal with the insomnia and cotton mouth. To me this is worth it."

Toybreaker January 20, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I had tried Zoloft in the past, went off because I was feeling better. Many years later, needed something again. Went back on Zoloft - it did nothing. Tried it in combo with Wellbutrin - nothing. Tried just the wellbutrin - nothing... except a 25 pound weight gain. Everyone says you lose weight on Wellbutrin... uh.. not so much! I gained 25 lbs in spite of barely eating and taking up running...AND.. it made me sweat ALL THE TIME. It did nothing for my mood, but the side effects were completely depressing. P.S. the weight did NOT come off after I quit taking it. My guess is it damaged my already slow metabolism."

Anonymous December 11, 2009