User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Mary255:

Started taking in 2007, weaned down to approximately 60 mg. per day (average). Has been the best antidepressant thus far, way better than Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac. Fewer side effects, and manages my mood disorder.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by Ohmeohmy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

When I had a dlifficult time getting a refill due to insurance issues, I missed a few days and talked to my doctor about trying to go without. I take Xanax ER 2mg and Lamictal 200mg both twice daily. I was fine for about 2 weeks. When I spiraled downward, it was bad. I ate, slept, and cried. I never missed a day of work, but I sure felt like running out of there. Finally, things worked out with insurance. I am actually glad to take a 3rd medication realizing how it helped me. It has been about 6 weeks since I took my last dose. I begin again tomorrow. So, my story can be summarized as depression and frustration levels returned within 2 weeks of stopping bupropion XL 300mg. Don't just stop!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 12:58 AM

Review by Anybody:

I was put on Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, I had zero personal or family history of any mental health issues. The Wellbutrin did not work for smoking cessation, so my doctor took me off it abruptly. I suffered from the common on the Internet, but completely unheard of by doctors, Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms of "brain zaps" or "brain shivers," odd sexual side effects, and powerful dreams. These adverse withdrawal effects from Wellbutrin were then misdiagnosed (according to the DSM) as bipolar. So in my case, Wellbutrin withdrawal effects were the etiology of a bipolar misdiagnosis.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 4:37 PM

Review by Male, 57 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking bupropion 450 mg/day, for at least five straight years. On two previous occasions, I would take it for a year or so and then refrain when things stayed sunny. Obviously they didn't remain that way, so this time around I'm firmly committed to it. I have had a tendency to rapid cycle. When I returned to bupropion the last time, the doctor also put me on Lamictal and Abilify. Last year, under her guidance, I weaned myself off of those. After all these years of dealing with BiPolar Disorder II, I am fairly well attuned to know when I might need to return to one or the other. I take bupropion, with food, soon after waking as it does interfere with sleep. I've had no other bothersome side-effects and no alcohol issues.

September 1, 2013 6:48 AM

Review by male, 29 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking bupropion 200mg for roughly three weeks to treat Bipolar depression. I have not had success with any other antidepressants. For me, Wellbutrin has been great. It has increased my energy level dramatically, as well as improved my mood. It's not a cure all, but it's certainly helping. The side effects - I take it in the morning to avoid trouble sleeping. Increased my anxiety somewhat the first week. Higher libido. Markedly reduced appetite. I need to remind myself to eat, and I've lost 5 lbs. Others have mentioned a bad interaction with alcohol which I have not experienced. I've had up to three drinks with no problems. My overall experience has been good, this is a great medicine if it agrees with you.

January 31, 2013 1:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

It was actually pretty good. It gave me energy, suppressed appetite. Improved my ability to complete tasks and helped improve my mood. Did make my PMS worse. My pdoc took me off it because it was making my hair fall out.

June 29, 2012 8:27 PM

I'm not sure yet what to think. I've been on 300 mg of Bupropion XL for one week and feel angry, edgy and cranky.

January 12, 2012 9:41 AM

Review by Killer Whales:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I am going to be as fair as I can be. As we can carefully repeat that not every medicine will work for everyone. But what I can tell you is that this medicine did nothing for me. Instead, it made my anxiety shoot through the roof, to the point where I thought I was being watched and stalked by law enforcements. I was deathly afraid of them taking me away, for what reason, I have no clue. It made me land in the psych ward. I would perspire in generous amounts! I would feel extremely guilty of past wrong doings (even the most minor thing I've done wrong in my life would be the topic of debate in my head). I wish you all a happy healing and good luck on your search.

September 29, 2011 9:05 PM

Review by jennpugli:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): When I first started taking it it gave me anxiety but once finding the right dose it works very well with no adverse side effects.

August 31, 2011 2:55 AM

Review by volynn:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I took Wellburtin for 2 months at 100mg to treat bipolar disorder type I. Wellburtin did help my mood, but I distcontinued due to nausea, dizziness, and hand tremors.

May 14, 2011 8:34 PM

Review by ren54jr:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): I have taken Wellbutrin SR for about 8 months and I can tell a great difference between the brand name and the generic.

August 9, 2010 5:35 PM

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I've been through 10 medications trying to find what worked, because I was so miserable. Wellbutrin along with Seroquel and Effexor were the only thing that have worked for me and I haven't dared to meddle with the wonderful combination I take.

June 30, 2010 11:56 PM

Review by troyz:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): Tons better than medicines like Paxil and Depakote (sleep your life away)...even-keel pretty much...sometimes I have coffee with friends (10a.m.) and I can feel a slight rush but if that's the down side of this for me, then I'll take it until they tell me that I can't anymore.

March 6, 2010 1:57 PM

Review by Toybreaker:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I have been annoyed all the time since I can remember. Always a pessimist. I figured if I expected the worst possible scenario anything better was a win. It was as if I was at war with the world, everything was a battle. Been on Welbutrin for 6 weeks now, 300mg a day in 2 doses to start. Gave me ridiculously bad headaches (I suffer from migraines already) but my mood, interest, and general sense of well being were better. Doc changed me from 2 doses to 3 doses a day (still 300 mg). No more headaches but slight insomnia so far. 3-4 hours a night now, usually get 6-7 hours of sleep. And I have the dry mouth as well. I will deal with the insomnia and cotton mouth. To me this is worth it.

January 20, 2010 11:34 AM

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I had tried Zoloft in the past, went off because I was feeling better. Many years later, needed something again. Went back on Zoloft - it did nothing. Tried it in combo with Wellbutrin - nothing. Tried just the wellbutrin - nothing... except a 25 pound weight gain. Everyone says you lose weight on Wellbutrin... uh.. not so much! I gained 25 lbs in spite of barely eating and taking up running...AND.. it made me sweat ALL THE TIME. It did nothing for my mood, but the side effects were completely depressing. P.S. the weight did NOT come off after I quit taking it. My guess is it damaged my already slow metabolism.

December 11, 2009 3:53 PM

Review by Saraleah:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): Wellbutrin relieved my internal feelings of turmoil but turned me very edgy, rude, and angry at inappropriate times. Not a fun person to be around. And while it helped me emotionally alittle, it did nothing spectatular.

October 11, 2009 2:49 AM

Review by rosethorn2011:

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I feel relatively "up" compared to how my lows used to be. My up times seem more productive and I have gained some interest in things I used to do i.e. painting. My lows still put me in a horrible state but I do not cry constantly like I used to. I am very happy with Wellbutrin.

September 2, 2009 8:28 PM

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): I started taking Wellbutrin SR 4 days ago. I took it in addition to Seroquel XR. It helped for a couple of days. During those days I only experienced some dizziness, and decreased appetite and sex drive. Although yesterday evening I was hospitalized with a 5 minute long grand-mal seizure. I don't have a history of seizure disorders, and the Doctors believe that this seizure was caused by Wellbutrin SR. If you take Wellbutrin SR and antipsychotics together, I suggest that you speak with your pharmacist or health provider.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2009 12:59 PM

Review by BlueMood2:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): Been on Wellbutrin and Clonezapam since 1994 to treat my bipolar. I was put on Wellbutrin SR in 2000. Works very well for my condition. Feel very even keeled and all my troubles evaporates in thin air. I don't feel irritable or obsessed over things like I used to. Side effects I have experienced. I have to be careful during the summer months when its extremely hot. I get dehydrated very quickly. Drink lots of water and drinks with electrolytes. Decrease in sex drive due to vaginal dryness.

July 21, 2009 9:28 AM

Review by alistrong:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): I was originally switched to Wellbutrin SR, cold turkey, and suffered horrible side effects until my system got used to it. When the XL came out I was hesitant to change over, but I did so with no side effects and pretty good results.

July 7, 2009 4:42 PM

Review by moneymaker36:

Budeprion XL (bupropion): Medicine was supposed to curve my depression. All it did was spike my mania. My doctor did tell me this so beware if you have bipolar disorder and are in a manic phase this medicine could spike your mania making it worse.

April 23, 2009 6:32 PM

Review by Grant76:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): Keeps me even tempered where as I used to be moody in the afternoons when I started getting tired.

March 19, 2009 2:22 PM

Review by brugbabe:

Budeprion XL (bupropion): When this generic was added to my large list of drugs (including one other anti depressant) I became the most mellow person in the world. Nothing upsets me. Everything moves along nicely. Feel a little disassociated with the world actually. BUT I QUIT SMOKING! So now I won't let them take it away.

March 7, 2009 6:28 PM

Wellbutrin (bupropion): I was prescribed this medicine for my bipolar disorder. It helped me a lot. I felt great and my relationship with my family improved. After 3 weeks though, I had a severe allergic reation to the Wellbutrin (bupropion) and had to go to the ER twice in a week. I had hives, swollen eyes and lips, trouble breathing, sore joints. As soon as I was taken off of it, my symptoms went away. It is not common for this to happen and I do recommend it.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2009 1:46 PM