User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was started on Wellbutrin about 2 months ago, along with Lamictal for mood-stabilization. I reluctantly got on it after a year free of meds (when I got hit with a bad case of Seasonal Depression beginning in fall and lasting through March and some of April, after a move to mostly gloomy Asheville, NC. I started off on half a tablet of 75mg regular release. Then I went up an extra half a tab. At first I thought it was great and then I started to feel low down again and went up to 150 mg. Slowly, I noticed feeling quite agitated and almost aggressive. I cut back down to just one tab and then half a tab and still the side-effects persisted, along with horrible anxiety and restlessness. So no more for me."

Cat66a (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

"My doctor put me on this medication because I told him I get tired and moody throughout the day.. I had no plans to quit smoking cigarettes. I have been smoking for 5 years, 1/2 pack a day. After the 4th day, the cigarette kept on tasting worse and I couldn't even smoke a whole cigarette. Hopefully I just quit, it's best for me and my health. The cravings for cigarettes aren't there anymore. On the 3rd day, I felt really weak and light at work. Felt like I was going to throw up."

Tony! March 6, 2015

"This was the first antidepressant I responded to when I started it back in 2012. Initially it caused a little nausea, and again with each dose increase, but it was very mild and didn't last longer than a week. It brought me right up out of a deep, dark pit. At the time, I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar yet, so I wasn't taking any mood stabilizers. Once they realized I was, I was put on lamotrigine, and it has been a staple part of my medical regimen since then. I'm currently on 300 mg XL, and 400 mg lamotrigine ER. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet!"

mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2015

"Started taking in 2007, weaned down to approximately 60 mg. per day (average). Has been the best antidepressant thus far, way better than Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac. Fewer side effects, and manages my mood disorder."

Mary255 May 28, 2014

"When I had a dlifficult time getting a refill due to insurance issues, I missed a few days and talked to my doctor about trying to go without. I take Xanax ER 2mg and Lamictal 200mg both twice daily. I was fine for about 2 weeks. When I spiraled downward, it was bad. I ate, slept, and cried. I never missed a day of work, but I sure felt like running out of there. Finally, things worked out with insurance. I am actually glad to take a 3rd medication realizing how it helped me. It has been about 6 weeks since I took my last dose. I begin again tomorrow. So, my story can be summarized as depression and frustration levels returned within 2 weeks of stopping bupropion XL 300mg. Don't just stop!"

Ohmeohmy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2014

"I was put on Wellbutrin for smoking cessation, I had zero personal or family history of any mental health issues. The Wellbutrin did not work for smoking cessation, so my doctor took me off it abruptly. I suffered from the common on the Internet, but completely unheard of by doctors, Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms of "brain zaps" or "brain shivers," odd sexual side effects, and powerful dreams. These adverse withdrawal effects from Wellbutrin were then misdiagnosed (according to the DSM) as bipolar. So in my case, Wellbutrin withdrawal effects were the etiology of a bipolar misdiagnosis."

Anybody November 7, 2013

"I've been taking bupropion 450 mg/day, for at least five straight years. On two previous occasions, I would take it for a year or so and then refrain when things stayed sunny. Obviously they didn't remain that way, so this time around I'm firmly committed to it. I have had a tendency to rapid cycle. When I returned to bupropion the last time, the doctor also put me on Lamictal and Abilify. Last year, under her guidance, I weaned myself off of those. After all these years of dealing with BiPolar Disorder II, I am fairly well attuned to know when I might need to return to one or the other. I take bupropion, with food, soon after waking as it does interfere with sleep. I've had no other bothersome side-effects and no alcohol issues."

Male, 57 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2013

"I've been taking bupropion 200mg for roughly three weeks to treat Bipolar depression. I have not had success with any other antidepressants. For me, Wellbutrin has been great. It has increased my energy level dramatically, as well as improved my mood. It's not a cure all, but it's certainly helping. The side effects - I take it in the morning to avoid trouble sleeping. Increased my anxiety somewhat the first week. Higher libido. Markedly reduced appetite. I need to remind myself to eat, and I've lost 5 lbs. Others have mentioned a bad interaction with alcohol which I have not experienced. I've had up to three drinks with no problems. My overall experience has been good, this is a great medicine if it agrees with you."

male, 29 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2013

"It was actually pretty good. It gave me energy, suppressed appetite. Improved my ability to complete tasks and helped improve my mood. Did make my PMS worse. My pdoc took me off it because it was making my hair fall out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2012

"I'm not sure yet what to think. I've been on 300 mg of Bupropion XL for one week and feel angry, edgy and cranky. "

Anonymous January 12, 2012

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I am going to be as fair as I can be. As we can carefully repeat that not every medicine will work for everyone. But what I can tell you is that this medicine did nothing for me. Instead, it made my anxiety shoot through the roof, to the point where I thought I was being watched and stalked by law enforcements. I was deathly afraid of them taking me away, for what reason, I have no clue. It made me land in the psych ward. I would perspire in generous amounts! I would feel extremely guilty of past wrong doings (even the most minor thing I've done wrong in my life would be the topic of debate in my head). I wish you all a happy healing and good luck on your search. "

Killer Whales September 29, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "When I first started taking it it gave me anxiety but once finding the right dose it works very well with no adverse side effects."

jennpugli August 31, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I took Wellburtin for 2 months at 100mg to treat bipolar disorder type I. Wellburtin did help my mood, but I distcontinued due to nausea, dizziness, and hand tremors."

volynn May 14, 2011

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I have taken Wellbutrin SR for about 8 months and I can tell a great difference between the brand name and the generic. "

ren54jr August 9, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been through 10 medications trying to find what worked, because I was so miserable. Wellbutrin along with Seroquel and Effexor were the only thing that have worked for me and I haven't dared to meddle with the wonderful combination I take."

Anonymous June 30, 2010

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Tons better than medicines like Paxil and Depakote (sleep your life away)...even-keel pretty much...sometimes I have coffee with friends (10a.m.) and I can feel a slight rush but if that's the down side of this for me, then I'll take it until they tell me that I can't anymore."

troyz March 6, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been annoyed all the time since I can remember. Always a pessimist. I figured if I expected the worst possible scenario anything better was a win. It was as if I was at war with the world, everything was a battle. Been on Welbutrin for 6 weeks now, 300mg a day in 2 doses to start. Gave me ridiculously bad headaches (I suffer from migraines already) but my mood, interest, and general sense of well being were better. Doc changed me from 2 doses to 3 doses a day (still 300 mg). No more headaches but slight insomnia so far. 3-4 hours a night now, usually get 6-7 hours of sleep. And I have the dry mouth as well. I will deal with the insomnia and cotton mouth. To me this is worth it."

Toybreaker January 20, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I had tried Zoloft in the past, went off because I was feeling better. Many years later, needed something again. Went back on Zoloft - it did nothing. Tried it in combo with Wellbutrin - nothing. Tried just the wellbutrin - nothing... except a 25 pound weight gain. Everyone says you lose weight on Wellbutrin... uh.. not so much! I gained 25 lbs in spite of barely eating and taking up running...AND.. it made me sweat ALL THE TIME. It did nothing for my mood, but the side effects were completely depressing. P.S. the weight did NOT come off after I quit taking it. My guess is it damaged my already slow metabolism."

Anonymous December 11, 2009

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Wellbutrin relieved my internal feelings of turmoil but turned me very edgy, rude, and angry at inappropriate times. Not a fun person to be around. And while it helped me emotionally alittle, it did nothing spectatular."

Saraleah October 11, 2009

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I feel relatively "up" compared to how my lows used to be. My up times seem more productive and I have gained some interest in things I used to do i.e. painting. My lows still put me in a horrible state but I do not cry constantly like I used to. I am very happy with Wellbutrin."

rosethorn2011 September 2, 2009

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I started taking Wellbutrin SR 4 days ago. I took it in addition to Seroquel XR. It helped for a couple of days. During those days I only experienced some dizziness, and decreased appetite and sex drive. Although yesterday evening I was hospitalized with a 5 minute long grand-mal seizure. I don't have a history of seizure disorders, and the Doctors believe that this seizure was caused by Wellbutrin SR. If you take Wellbutrin SR and antipsychotics together, I suggest that you speak with your pharmacist or health provider."

Anonymous August 1, 2009

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "Been on Wellbutrin and Clonezapam since 1994 to treat my bipolar. I was put on Wellbutrin SR in 2000. Works very well for my condition. Feel very even keeled and all my troubles evaporates in thin air. I don't feel irritable or obsessed over things like I used to. Side effects I have experienced. I have to be careful during the summer months when its extremely hot. I get dehydrated very quickly. Drink lots of water and drinks with electrolytes. Decrease in sex drive due to vaginal dryness. "

BlueMood2 July 21, 2009

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was originally switched to Wellbutrin SR, cold turkey, and suffered horrible side effects until my system got used to it. When the XL came out I was hesitant to change over, but I did so with no side effects and pretty good results."

alistrong July 7, 2009

Budeprion XL (bupropion): "Medicine was supposed to curve my depression. All it did was spike my mania. My doctor did tell me this so beware if you have bipolar disorder and are in a manic phase this medicine could spike your mania making it worse."

moneymaker36 April 23, 2009

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Keeps me even tempered where as I used to be moody in the afternoons when I started getting tired."

Grant76 March 19, 2009