User Reviews for Imuran

5.5
Crohn's Disease, Acute 3 reviews 14 medications

4.3
Chronic Active Hepatitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Chronic Inflammatory...diculoneuropathy 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 66 medications Not rated - Be the first
Inflammatory Bowel Disease 0 reviews 73 medications Not rated - Be the first
Multiple Sclerosis 0 reviews 83 medications Not rated - Be the first
Organ Transplant, Re...tion Prophylaxis 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sarcoidosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Takayasu's Arteritis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis 0 reviews 95 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Imuran reviews 27 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Imuran

Review by small town mom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by BB1217:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!

March 27, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by barb_1939 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: I have been on imuran for at least 25 years. Have had few if any side effects. My lupus is basically in remission most of the time. I also take predisone.

March 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Review by Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Ulcerative Colitis: Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF.

February 23, 2014 2:00 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Ulcerative Colitis: Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while.

May 2, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was on a steroid previously however due to the fact that I was constantly getting bacterial & viral infections and putting on a lot of weight, the doctor took me off the steroid and prescribed Imuran. So far it is working out better than the steroid.

November 7, 2012 7:04 AM

Review by preocupada (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Imuran greatly improved my systemic lupus erthematous (SLE) symptoms. I have neurological involvement and before this medicine my right foot was paralyzed. I can now walk thanks to this. I had blood work and all my values are normal now which was not the case before. I do not have any side effects either. It has been a lifesaver for me.

May 6, 2012 11:48 AM

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: I have chronic autoimmune hepatitis and have been taking Imuran for four years. It has prevented further flare ups (which I have taken as much as a year to recover from) it enables me to live my life feeling well with mild side effects (some nausea).

February 2, 2012 3:07 PM

Review by Living in the Bathroom:

For Ulcerative Colitis: Have had ulcerative colitis for 26 years. Started Imuran after a flare up and within 1 week I thought it was a miracle and still am going to the bathroom 2 x a day and sleep all night. I worry about the side effects but I have a life again for now. Thanks to Imuran.

August 19, 2011 6:09 PM

Review by wgroth2:

For Atopic Dermatitis: I know its off-label, but it works. I have atopic dermatitis in my arms and legs and it goes away when I take it and comes back when I don't.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2011 11:02 PM

Review by Southern Girl:

For Ulcerative Colitis: Wonderful medicine. I was extremely sick, went 20 times to the bathroom in 8 to 9 hours, was really sick, finally gave in to start this medicine with the rest I had been taking. Within 5 hours everything slowed down. I felt like a new person. But sad to say it was short lived. I started reacting 2 to three days in and the reactions got worse. Had to stop taking it.

May 27, 2011 9:16 AM

Review by Ski4ever:

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: Miracle drug for me after being on prednisone, flagyl, etc., for years. Diagnosed in 1988 and living a very normal life after Imuran!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2011 7:14 PM

For Ulcerative Colitis: Have been using for over two years after several episodes of prednisone. Have been almost completely free of symptoms and have no obvious side effects. I only use the bathroom once a day and stools are generally well formed. No diarrhea at all. Can eat and drink normally (including roughage) but did have some pain after eating too much corn on the cob.

January 28, 2011 8:22 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: Did not help much with my Crohn's, but less side effects than others.

September 12, 2010 11:26 PM

Review by ThMom:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Imuran caused a 10 day hospital stay for me. I was on it about 2 weeks, started running a fever of 104, had chills, very short of breath. I was treated for regular flu, swine flu, tested for all sorts of other breathing problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2010 8:58 AM

Review by Bambooman:

For Ulcerative Colitis: I started Imuran after yet another dose of steroids and now I have got my confidence back I will only use the bathroom four times a day on a normal day but I am careful with my diet, no fiber.

July 6, 2010 4:50 PM

Review by VLE:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Worked well at higher doses but affected my liver functions so had to cut back on dosage. Helps on lower dosage but not as well.

June 21, 2010 7:10 PM

For Renal Transplant: Have been using Imuran for the past 39 years following a kidney transplant. Still healthy and going strong.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2010 2:08 PM

Review by sheila01:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I have had Crohn's disease for 19 years and have been on many different medications. I have been hospitalized 6 times, where they shut down the colon to leave it to rest (no surgeries). I have taken Imuran for 7 years and until last month have only had 4 flareups to account for, my doctors put me on a steroid (not something that you want to take a lot of). For me this is usually about a 2-3 month process. Unfortunately, my thyroid has gone from hypo to hyper and my Crohn's disease and blood pressure is out of control. So my doctors have suggested I try Remicade...I have just had my second infusion, still taking Imuran, and 30mg of steroid, hoping to see some results soon.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2010 8:50 AM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I was prescriped Imuran but had to come off it within 2 weeks due to acute depression and complete loss of appetite! But some medicines work better on other people, I think you have to find the right one for you!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2010 10:19 AM

Review by ricter:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Had an allergic reation about three weeks into treatment. Broke out in hives. Was taking it for Systemic Lupus.

December 7, 2009 5:54 PM

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: My doctor has put me on Imuran for about three weeks now and I am starting to feel some side effects such as weakness, body aches and breakouts all over my body. So far not so good with the treatment. I will be calling my doctor for sure.

November 23, 2009 1:46 AM

Review by TEP:

For Myasthenia Gravis: Been on Imuran 6 months and find it very helpful for my ocular symptoms and moderately helpful for my generalized Myasthenia Gravis symptoms (fatigue and weakness). So far normal hemograms, hepatic function tests and renal/chem-7 results.

August 27, 2009 9:11 AM

Review by mooza:

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: Did not work at all for my chronic Crohn's disease.

June 1, 2009 7:02 AM

Review by Judy GG:

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Worked fantastic for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) that included heart and lung involvement.

April 28, 2009 12:42 PM