Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Imuran

Learn more about Imuran.

Imuran review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 123 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Imuran to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Review by Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2014 2:00 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while.

May 2, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by Living in the Bathroom:

Have had ulcerative colitis for 26 years. Started Imuran after a flare up and within 1 week I thought it was a miracle and still am going to the bathroom 2 x a day and sleep all night. I worry about the side effects but I have a life again for now. Thanks to Imuran.

August 19, 2011 6:09 PM

Review by Southern Girl:

Wonderful medicine. I was extremely sick, went 20 times to the bathroom in 8 to 9 hours, was really sick, finally gave in to start this medicine with the rest I had been taking. Within 5 hours everything slowed down. I felt like a new person. But sad to say it was short lived. I started reacting 2 to three days in and the reactions got worse. Had to stop taking it.

May 27, 2011 9:16 AM

Have been using for over two years after several episodes of prednisone. Have been almost completely free of symptoms and have no obvious side effects. I only use the bathroom once a day and stools are generally well formed. No diarrhea at all. Can eat and drink normally (including roughage) but did have some pain after eating too much corn on the cob.

January 28, 2011 8:22 PM

Review by Bambooman:

I started Imuran after yet another dose of steroids and now I have got my confidence back I will only use the bathroom four times a day on a normal day but I am careful with my diet, no fiber.

July 6, 2010 4:50 PM