User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Abilify Maintena

Learn more about Aripiprazole.

Aripiprazole review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Autism

Review by DavenDallas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Abilify (aripiprazole): My stepson is now 13 years old and has been on 5mg dosage of Abilify for about 2-3 years. We discovered it when we saw a commercial for a study involving autistic children with aggressive tendencies. Since then, his behavior has improved 100% at both home and school. The only side effect, as mentioned by others, is weight gain. To this I say, take a more active role in your kid's diet and force him/her to exercise. This will offset the side-effects while still reaping the benefits.

February 7, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by involved mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Abilify (aripiprazole): After much deliberation and many, many meetings, we finally decided to put our 7 year old on low dose Abilify. My child is officially diagnosed PDD-NOS, which is an autism umbrella disorder. At first the low 2mg dose seemed pretty effective in controlling the anxiety and outburst. However; when our doctor prescribed a higher dose, 5 mg, the exhaustion and weight gain were out of control. My child gained roughly 45 pounds in six months. Even when we stopped the medication for the summer months. Abilify seems to make my child very hungry, but unable to convert any calories into energy, simply storing all food as fat. We came to the decision that the side effects were out weighing the desired effects, and are trying a new medication.

November 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Abilify (aripiprazole): My autistic 12 year old son was put on a low dose of Abilify in August 2012 to help with mood swings and anxiety. His emotions stabilized beautifully, but he gained an excessive amount of weight and an extreme increase in appetite. In a matter of 5 months he went from 100 pounds to 139 pounds. We've had to stop the Abilify and find an alternative so we can work on getting him to a healthier BMI.

April 22, 2013 9:24 AM

Abilify (aripiprazole): My 6 yo was on Abilify for two months. His temper tantrums and ability to concentrate were greatly improved, however, the gained 20 pounds and the doctor took him off it. He was also very weepy and emotional on it.

August 29, 2012 6:02 PM

Abilify (aripiprazole): Our 11year old son with autism began Abilify mainly to combat fears (thunder, loud sounds, etc.) and to allow him calm down. It helped with that. It also regulated his sleep cycle very nicely. But he has put on a lot of weight. I tried taking him off of it, but the facial hitting (he hits himself) and screaming were really bad. Overall a good, benign medicine.

March 4, 2012 11:21 PM

Review by kristinWV:

Abilify (aripiprazole): This medicine is wonderful! My 9 yr old has been taking 5mg once a night for almost a year. Total turn around! The only side effect we have is increased appetite and weight gain. I do worry about his blood sugar...but the changes are seriously unreal!

January 14, 2012 10:40 PM

Abilify (aripiprazole): My 10 year old son, was on Risperdal and it was horrible for him. He started taking 2mg Abilify along with Celexa and in 2 months in school he was doing 70% better. This medication did make his appetite increase and he did gain weight, but not too much weight. Once his body got used to it, he began to have trouble sleeping, so his doctor increased his dosage to 4mg a day, 2mg in the morning and 2 mg at night. He is sleeping well again, and appetite has seem to stabilize. This medicine has been great for my son.

August 27, 2011 1:22 AM

Review by Joe Joe My Boy:

Abilify (aripiprazole): Abilify works wonders, but it can have long term side effects. Blood test are taken every 6 - 8 months to make sure everything is okay.

December 9, 2009 10:05 PM