User Reviews for Arimidex

Learn more about Arimidex.

Arimidex Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Arimidex to treat Breast Cancer

"Recurrence of HER2 cancer. Hip and hand problems. Horrible insomnia and memory issued. But does help hold the cancer back."

SusanMorris64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2014

"Taking this after care of breast cancer! Hasn't caused any problems at all and almost done taking it! Evidently it's great in the help of my breast cancer."

Sugarbee333333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2014

"I've been on Arimidex for 10 weeks. Although I had arthritis prior to taking Arimidex, my joint discomfort has increased substantially and now I find that my joints (especially my hands and hips) are swollen and always painful. My fingernails have thinned and continually split and tear off, often below the quick (ouch!). I'm also disheartened to notice that my eyebrows and eyelashes, which had just grown back after my last chemo session, have started to either break or fall out again. Bone and muscle pain are always with me now."

WV lady April 10, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Arimidex for 5 years and only recently stopped. I had quite a few side effects, however, the joint pain and stiffness was the hardest. I heard about something called Ubiquinol, which is apparently something that is naturally produced in your body, but slows down quite a bit as you age. I've been taking it daily now for a few months and I have to say, the stiffness and joint pain has mostly subsided. I say mostly because I forget to take it some days. I'm trying to get better about taking it daily with a multivitamin. It's kind of expensive but it's way cheaper and better than any of the medicine alternatives I was offered by my doctors. I don't like taking medicine for every little thing. Plus there's a hundred side effects to worry about."

Frenchgirl52 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took it for 5 yrs. and 2 months. I cannot say if the changes were from chemo or from Arimidex. Changes in taste and smell persist. Frontal headache, blurred vision, cough, calcium loss - osteopenia. Stiff joints, long bone pain, sciatica pain of right leg, fatigue, wicked insomnia, hot flushes & flashes. Neuropathy in hands and feet, specially balls of feet and very sensitive tips of toes. Very dry skin, aged face, hair is very thin and breaking easily. Never got back full eyebrows, very SAD! I loved my eyebrows."

Lealmck (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects are insomnia, joint pain, painful sex or no interest in sex, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression. One year to go and hopefully I will not have to take it. Maybe still on it because of a family history of breast cancer."

Jacklink (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took tamoxifen 9 months. Extreme bruising. Switched to Arimidex. After 4 weeks, extreme pain in hand. Next severe headaches. Each month brought increased pain in thumbs, hand, feet, long leg bones. Joints hurt, wrists weaken every month. After 10 months became depressed and had insomnia. Finally, had enough and stopped. Within, 2 weeks long bone pain went away. I still have some knee pain, trigger finger, and wrist weakness and its been 3 months. Doctor switching to Aromasin next month."

sissyy June 19, 2013

"I started taking the medication in March 2013 after chemo on the fall of 2012 and then radiation in Jan-Feb of 2013. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain. But as a migraine sufferer, it's a walk in the park. Whatever works to cure this cancer, I'm up for everything and anything."

Roxanne&Philo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2013

"Been taking Arimidex for nearly 6 years now. Side effects for me are joint & bone pain, weird feeling in my chest that wakes me up. Weight gain, hair thinning & occasional hot flushes. I take calcium tabs and alendronic acid for my bones. Apart from that I'm grateful to be alive."

annie K May 30, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had the hot flashes, and the weight gain. Not much of the other side effects so far. Not willing to keep gaining the weight, talked to my oncologist but he says the weight gain is not from the Arimidex. I know better, I have always been very very careful with my weight and going on this medication is the only time I have had the weight gain. I stopped it for 5 weeks and lost, went back on the Arimidex and the weight came back. I work out 5 to 7 days a week so I am very active. "

Oregon 2013 March 20, 2013

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Arimidex for 5 years and I've been cancer free for over 6 years now."

pttyglnd February 1, 2013

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking Arimidex in June and have lost 45lbs. Vomiting and diarrhea have left me homebound. I keep starting and stopping this pill. Oncologist thinks I'm crazy, but when I stop the pill the vomiting and diarrhea stop. Just stopped taking it before Christmas and I'm feeling so much better. Have had two lumpectomies and a mastectomy. Don't want the cancer to return, but the side effects are too much for me."

McD333 January 9, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Arimidex 4 years and 1 month, prior to which I took Tamoxifen for 5 months. During the first year I developed a frozen shoulder, which my oncologist said could be due to the Armidex, extreme joint stiffness which gradually subsidized and ended after 9-12 months, intense hot flashes which as of this year are lessening, insomnia, vision issues (detached retina - but am also very myopic), pronounced facial aging, dry skin (am 57 years old) and thinning hair. I also experienced depression and mood swings beginning 3 months after the start of Arimidex. I never took medication for it but am finding that it has also gradually lessened over the last 1 1/2 yrs."

Anonymous October 15, 2012

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"7 months in severe hand pain wakes me up at night. Hands weakening grip ibuprofen doesn't help using phone and computer mouse horrible. Just switched to Aromasin."

Anonymous September 25, 2012

"I have been on Arimidex for 4 years 4 months. I have had the hot flashes, vision issues, bone density weakening, joint pain and stiffness, depression, mood changes, insomnia, back and bone pain, thinning nails (of already thin nails), weakness in hands and now, my hair in breaking off and drying out. My doctor wants me to hold on to the end of the 5 years. Not sure I can."

Trick NOT Treat (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidex for 5 years. No pain or problems, and with a vitamin D supplement, I have been feeling great! Didn't have any problems until I started the generic form."

Anonymous July 3, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidex for just over a year and have experience basically no side effects. The only issue I have is my left hand and fingers tingle occasionally at night - enough to waken me, however, the doctor thinks it has more to do with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - which I never had before. I am going to be 70 years old soon, am in excellent health and shape as I work with a personal trainer. Life is Good!"

kennybuck February 2, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Arimidex about 4 - 5 months ago as a breast cancer patient. I'm supposed to take it for 5 years. The side-effects I've experienced are: insomnia, hot flashes, headaches, weight gain, joint pain, and severe loss of grip in both hands. My hands are stiff in the morning and evening, it's just crazy. Well, even throughout the day. I asked my oncologist about this and he said it was arthritis, which I do NOT believe. The onset was too quick. It was about 6 weeks after I started taking the Arimidex then the hand stiffness showed up. "

Anonymous January 31, 2012

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Within a month of taking Arimidex. I had so much joints pain, I mention to my oncologist and he said it was arthritis, I said "No way" arthritis does not show up in one month" I stopped taking it after 1 1/2 years. I could not endure the pain."

Dann ielle March 31, 2011

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on Arimidex for 7 years as my oncologist says that the trial period has only been up to 5 years and she wants me to continue as extra insurance. The only side effect that I have noticed beginning about a year ago is hair thinning, and it is starting to bother me. Three of my friends who had started taking Arimidex the same time I did and who had other oncologists, were taken off the drug after 5 years. They had noticed hair thinning during the time they were taking the drug and it has reversed since they stopped usage."

linnash March 26, 2011

"I am starting my 4th year on Arimidex and have had wonderful results. I have had no side effects at all. I am now over 70 and am active and otherwise healthy. I am looking forward to many more years of continued good health."

G-Ma 1 February 28, 2011

"Bone pain, faster pulse rate, hot flashes. Don't know if I can continue taking this for 5 years."

albert47 January 29, 2011

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Severe hot flushes, sleep disturbance, bone and joint pain, lack of concentration. Was getting Zoladex injections for 9 months then had hysterectomy. Have been on Arimidex for 7 months. Hope I don't have to be on it for up to 5 years. I don't think I could stick out these side effects."

Anonymous December 15, 2010

"I have been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects I have had are severe hot flashes, and ever increasing joint pain. I am considering going off the medication entirely, even though it has not been the full five years yet, or switching to a different medicine. "

jbow September 8, 2010

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidex for almost a year now; as far as side effects, most problematic for me seems to be weight gain. Sure hope and pray I have no more serious side effects than this. Take my Arimidex every morning with breakfast."

Mona-Me May 27, 2010