User Reviews for Elavil

For Anxiety and Stress: Gave me my life back

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by anonymous1224365:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects.

September 23, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me.

September 19, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc.

August 30, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Fibromyalgia: Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation

August 2, 2014 10:34 PM

For Pain: I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.

February 26, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 7:52 PM

Review by cornix:

For Depression: Unable to urinate.

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by wa9mrn:

For Insomnia: Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2013 11:33 AM

Review by Yikes!:

For Fibromyalgia: I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 2:33 PM

Review by Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain.

September 30, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2013 7:58 PM

Review by Brando.24:

For Depression: I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing.

July 17, 2013 2:49 AM

Review by Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects.

July 8, 2013 11:03 AM

Review by KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2013 3:37 PM

Review by 41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Interstitial Cystitis: Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day.

June 11, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by BRAGS:

For Vulvodynia: Use of Elavil has not lessened the pain associated with vulvodynia (or nerve ending pain), but it seems I can tolerate it more. But I notice that my throat gets very dry and my voice is hoarse. Also I have been diagnosed with dry eye, and I do feel that is caused by the Elavil (along with dry mouth and throat).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by CP343434:

For Insomnia: I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by Eliora (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull".

January 29, 2013 6:13 PM

For Pain: I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Minders8:

For Fibromyalgia: Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.

January 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by Nikolai (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Dysthymia: I was taking an SSRI antidepressant and other depression medicines but they didn't work. I started taking this and felt way better than I did before. I've been taking it for a while and got used to the sedating side effects and it's helped me from the first time I took it.

December 24, 2012 2:19 AM