User Reviews for Elavil

Chronic Myofascial Pain 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Neurotic Depression 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Elavil reviews 83 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Elavil

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy.

March 19, 2014 7:31 PM
Review by Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.

February 26, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.

December 21, 2013 7:52 PM
Review by cornix: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: Unable to urinate.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 5:34 PM
Review by wa9mrn: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 1, 2013 11:33 AM
Review by Yikes!: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.

September 30, 2013 2:33 PM
Review by Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain.

September 30, 2013 7:05 AM
Review by TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 7, 2013 7:58 PM
Review by Brando.24: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing.

July 17, 2013 2:49 AM
Review by Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects.

July 8, 2013 11:03 AM
Review by KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose.

June 28, 2013 3:37 PM
Review by 41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Interstitial Cystitis: Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day.

June 11, 2013 10:22 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine.

May 21, 2013 10:34 PM
Review by BRAGS: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Vulvodynia: Use of Elavil has not lessened the pain associated with vulvodynia (or nerve ending pain), but it seems I can tolerate it more. But I notice that my throat gets very dry and my voice is hoarse. Also I have been diagnosed with dry eye, and I do feel that is caused by the Elavil (along with dry mouth and throat).

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2013 10:49 AM
Review by CP343434: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2013 8:16 AM
Review by Eliora (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull".

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2013 6:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one.

January 23, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by Minders8: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.

January 9, 2013 11:49 AM
Review by Nikolai (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Dysthymia: I was taking an SSRI antidepressant and other depression medicines but they didn't work. I started taking this and felt way better than I did before. I've been taking it for a while and got used to the sedating side effects and it's helped me from the first time I took it.

December 24, 2012 2:19 AM
Review by Meechie (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Elavil for over 5 years now and I must say it has changed my whole outlook completely. I was diagnosed as bi-polar, depressed and an insomniac. This medication has improved all three of my conditions.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2012 8:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Migraine Prevention: I suffered with Migraines since I was about 12. I am now 36. My migraine attacks went from moderate to severe after the birth of my daughter. I would get attacks which would last for 10 days and would mimic symptoms of a stroke. I tried Sandomigran which I gained 8 kg in 3 weeks. Topamax was far worse which felt like my whole body was burning. I'm now on a combination of Zoloft 100 mg and Elavil starting at 10 mg. Generally you're not supposed to mix the 2 because it can cause "serotonin syndrome" which can be life threatening. However my neurologist and psychiatrist are keeping a close eye on me. So far Elavil has had the least side effects. I started on 10 mg and will double dose in 2 weeks. I did notice less neck and head pain.

November 2, 2012 10:54 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I'm on 200 mg at night. I know it's more than most people. I have chronic pain from degenerative bone disease plus I'm bipolar. This med is old school but it has helped me more than any of the newer meds. It is worth trying if other meds haven't helped.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 1, 2012 9:32 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Migraine Prevention: Helped my migraines a lot! However had severe constipation, gained 45lbs in 6 months, gave me night terrors and caused me to have slight depression. For migraines though it was great but due to all the side effects I was having, I have since switched. I would recommend Elavil to migraine sufferers it worked for me!

August 14, 2012 10:45 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Migraine Prevention: Elavil is great. I take 50 mg at night. It has helped with migraines, anxiety and depression. It is very cheap and very effective. I take it with Pristiq and Klonopin (as needed).

August 11, 2012 11:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Migraine Prevention: I took it for 6 weeks. First week 25mg increased to 50mg second week. After 10 days I didn't have a single headache. I loved that! After months of headaches 70% of the day and 2-4 migraines a week it seemed heaven sent. Only thing is it put me into a deep depression. So now I can't take Elavil. Trying Topamax 75mg and its not cutting it. Back to frequent headaches 70% of the day!

June 21, 2012 6:14 PM