User Reviews for Elavil

Chronic Myofascial Pain 0 reviews 43 medications Not rated - Be the first
Neurotic Depression 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Elavil reviews 94 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Elavil

For Insomnia "Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

For Pain "Very good"

Maiku December 19, 2014

For Interstitial Cystitis "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

For Fibromyalgia "Works great"

Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 24, 2014

For Depression "I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Gave me my life back"

marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects. "

anonymous1224365 September 23, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me."

pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc."

Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep."

Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2014

For Insomnia "Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation"

ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried."

Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2014

For Pain "I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood."

Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2013

For Depression "Unable to urinate."

cornix December 13, 2013

For Insomnia "Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects."

wa9mrn October 1, 2013

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time."

Yikes! September 30, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain."

Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2013

For Pain "This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough."

TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2013

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing."

Brando.24 July 17, 2013

For Depression "I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects."

Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2013

For Insomnia "I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose. "

KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis "Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day."

41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress "Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Vulvodynia "Use of Elavil has not lessened the pain associated with vulvodynia (or nerve ending pain), but it seems I can tolerate it more. But I notice that my throat gets very dry and my voice is hoarse. Also I have been diagnosed with dry eye, and I do feel that is caused by the Elavil (along with dry mouth and throat)."

BRAGS May 11, 2013