User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Depression

Review by cornix:

Unable to urinate.

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by Brando.24:

I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing.

July 17, 2013 2:49 AM

Review by Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects.

July 8, 2013 11:03 AM

Review by KLOQWEST:

I've taken Elavil for 14 yrs for irritable bowel syndrome and depression. I suffered with IBS for 5 yrs and had every test possible and even had my gallbladder removed. It really makes me sleep but after taking it the 1st night, I KNEW it was the magic medicine for my irritable bowel syndrome. As long as I take 25mg each night, I have zero irritable bowel symptoms. It saved my life.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2011 11:00 PM

Review by LLTLLTLLTLLT34:

I just got my prescription filled for the 3rd time and wanted to write a review to help others. I was so scared to take this after having a bad experience with Zoloft. I remember coming here and reading all the reviews and still didn't take the medicines prescribed until a month later. The first two weeks I was so tired and had extreme dry mouth. I thought I would have to quit because I was so tired and couldn't work. I had two weeks off between Christmas and the New Year and decided to stick with it. I'm so glad I did. I feel like myself again and with zero side effects now except for when I don't take it for a few days. If I ever do come off, I will ween slowly. I was also so scared to gain weight which, thankfully, didn't happen. Love it!

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2011 11:56 AM

Review by Dormarie:

Since going back to this med, my morning tiredness is gone, as well as weakness in general. I love it.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2011 11:54 AM

Have tried many others: zoloft, citalopram, nortriptyline. Other than side effects this medicine works great. Just have to be careful with the sedative properties.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2011 10:39 PM

Review by Philgood:

Happy thoughts once again.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2009 4:31 PM

Review by Headcase:

Been taking for 15 yrs. Started as antidepressant but also helps back pain and sleep.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2009 12:05 PM

Review by biagina:

I was on Elavil for many years to help ward off migraines and it did great. Then my neurosurgeon prescribed ultram and I had a tachycardia incident. I am very sad that I can not be on Elavil. I used to take 10mg at bedtime and it was helpful.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2008 7:46 AM

This medication not only helped my mood to pull me out of my depression but it also decreased my migraines which could last for several days at a time.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2008 2:10 PM