User Reviews for 5-HTP

Learn more about 5-HTP.

5-HTP review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for 5-HTP to treat Anxiety

Review by JackJr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After a shaky start, I've had a good experience with 5htp. It has helped my mornings especially. Worth noting I have taken the 5htp patch not capsules, as I hate swallowing those things!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by world33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Choose a sustained/time release 5-HTP product for a smoother and longer lasting effect. Combine with a good Vitamin B complex, possibly in the biologically active form.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It seemed to help a bit at first, but after taking it for almost a year the positive effects seemed to have disappeared completely. If you suffer from an anxiety disorder I would seriously recommend a prescription medicine. I've recently been switched to Buspar and it works wonders and is very cheap.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 10:48 AM

Review by Kate M.:

I have always suffered from mild mood disorder, general anxiety, stress-induced panic attacks, mixed with ups and downs. My chiropractor mentioned L-5-HTP, so I gave it a try. Within 48 hours, I was feeling a night & day difference. Since I discovered this supplement, I take it in a cycle of a few months on and then a month off. I find that my body builds a tolerance after awhile, and I will stop and restart again with no side effects in the meantime. After taking L-5-HTP, I feel happy, calm, and my life is in perspective. Make sure you purchase the L-5-HTP, not just cheap HTP. The L-tryptophan is the active ingredient on a molecular level, with vitamin C to help your body absorb the supplement.

November 29, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by Revelation in a bottle.:

After years of trying supplements that had no appreciable effect and being adamantly opposed to taking antidepressants after researching them, I'd given up on feeling "good" and tried to accept my anxious, depressed, miserable, irritable state as my personality. But, on a whim, I gave 5-HTP a shot. And... just wow. WOW. No placebo, no question, no nonsense. 5-HTP has a very strong, STRONG positive effect on me. My mind feels cushioned and clear, my anxieties fade away, and I feel just... collected, calm, comfortable, positive, eager to laugh. It's like night and day off and on. And again, 5-HTP hits hard and immediately, but with no side effects aside from mild gastrointestinal distress.

March 19, 2013 6:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Switched from Seroquel 50mg/Prozac 20mg/ to just 50mgs of 5-HTP at night. Works okay, no side effects, improves my concentration, mood has improved, unlike the effects of mood blunting SSRI's, appetite decreased, have lost 6kgs since starting treatment. Anxiety generally at bay, still need to take a morning dose of propranolol (20mg), works well for insomnia (especially rebound insomnia associated with anti-psychotic withdrawal, am usually asleep within an hour/hour and a half of dosing, no withdrawal symptoms on cessation. Haven't felt this good in years!

August 13, 2012 6:28 AM

I found that this medicine wasn't really that helpful.

January 7, 2012 9:46 PM

Learn more about Anxiety

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources