User Reviews for 5-HTP

Learn more about 5-HTP.

5-HTP Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for 5-HTP to treat Anxiety

"I am taking 5-htp (100MG) combined with a complex B vitamin (100MG) and Sam-e 200MG everyday.. IT WORKS.. I am taking these three to treat depression and anxiety. I did not want to be on an anti depressant. My mood is lighter, I feel happier and I feel OKAY. I feel into a deep depression and felt very hopeless and these, along with counselling, are helping me through it. I am blown away by the effectiveness of these three supplements together. I highly recommend them. I can sleep just fine and I don't feel like there is a rain cloud over my head anymore. I've been waiting to see the sun shine through my heart (sounds cheese lol) but it's true! AND I FEEL IT! I hope you can too."

autiem001 January 18, 2016

"Been using timed release 200mgs for last month and used to 400mgs daily. Slight stomach and headache issues but gone after first week. Works very well but need to buy a quality product. I paired this with Niacinamide 1500-2000mgs this is all medicinal level and it's working nicely with slight mood swings. My sleep is better with higher dose and I'm not suffering major panic attacks. I'm off Seroquel for now and this is working for my seasonal depression and I am bipolar 1. I would recommend a neuropath when using this but I'm very well trained and aware of my body"

Onehotbike January 5, 2016

"Almost immediately effective. Clarity and calmness of mind restored and feeling 100% better. I can not believe it has worked so well."

Kellos December 3, 2015

"Don't start off with to high dosage , it affected my sleep . Went from 150mg back to 20mg and slowly increased . Two weeks of stomach upset but it went away . I have noticed I am calmer however my body seems to get use to the dosage quickly and I need to increase it . I am up to 180 mg now and again need to up the dosage . It's really worth giving this product a try before you turn to pharmaceutical medication ."

Gezabell (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015

"Just want to add this has been great. I was on citalopram but became too much of a problem for me having to go to the doctors every month and having work. Getting this delivered to my door was so much easier. Been taking 100mg every night before bed, its reduced my anxiety quite a bit. I'm still on a benzo for the time being but what people here have to understand this drug works with chemicals in you brain. This is the reason you get increased anxiety. When I started citalopram my anxiety went through the roof before improving my condition after about 8 weeks. Let it ride through and take it at night at first, it will increase your anxiety at first and may increase your depression in some people at first but afterwards it works wonders."

zeden (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2015

"5- HTP has really helped me after being unable to tolerate side effects from Zoloft. I tapered off Zoloft and once I stopped I switched directly to 50 mg of 5-HTP in morning and 50 at night. I have had little to no side effects switching to the supplement. Very thankful to find 5 htp"

Hillccs August 1, 2015

"Supplements vary wildly in potency and quality from brand to brand. The way this stuff works for me is to put 50 mg of powder into a quart of water and drink it throughout the day. You do not want to get a huge spike of this stuff into your blood stream that later shoots down. I have great results for several months this way."

Hugh Johnson June 21, 2015

"I tried 5HTP to alleviate low mood. It gave me the most horrendous headache from day one. I cannot continue it due to this severe side effect."

New baby (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

"I'm taking 5-HTP with quite a few other supplements (all prescribed by a naturopathic doctor) so it's hard to say what is doing what but I added the 5-HTP after a week on the other supplements and it seemed to make a noticeable difference in my feeling of calm. I have been on every pharmaceutical AD out there plus benzodiazepines and I will tell you 5-HTP is different in a good way. If you have reached the end of the line with pharmaceuticals like I did it's worth giving supplements a try but I would recommend approaching it with a naturopathic doctor."

Snoopy2010 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2015

"This supplement has really worked for me! The only problem is after about a month of taking it I have started experiencing ringing in my ears and pressure headaches. But, it does boost my mood and I haven't mood swings or anxiety like before I started taking this. Also, I find I haven't been as hungry and eating as much. This supplement would be perfect if I hadn't started having the problems with my ears and the headaches."

anonymous123456780655435435765 May 14, 2015

"I took this to try to counteract depression & anxiety. After the first dose I slept well and felt really good the next morning; I thought that, at long last, I had found an answer to my prayers. After the second dose my symptoms came back and were magnified many times. I felt so bad I worried I was going to need hospitalisation. It clearly works for some people, but for a few it produces extremely rapid and horrible effects."

Ton-toe March 31, 2015

"Eliminated anxiety."

asirius (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2015

"I took 5-HTP for depression, anxiety and insomnia and it worked like a charm for the first night. I took another one the next morning and I felt really weird and worsened my symptoms. I took another one the same night and ended up with serotonin syndrome. Be careful whilst taking this. Make sure you space out your intake as it's terrifying if it goes wrong. I didn't have to go to a hospital, however I had mood changes every 5 mins, heavy brain fog, heavy depression and suicidal thoughts. Took me around a week to clear up again. I'm scared to take another one fearing the outcome."

David.Barr February 2, 2015

"After a shaky start, I've had a good experience with 5htp. It has helped my mornings especially. Worth noting I have taken the 5htp patch not capsules, as I hate swallowing those things!"

JackJr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

"Choose a sustained/time release 5-HTP product for a smoother and longer lasting effect. Combine with a good Vitamin B complex, possibly in the biologically active form."

world33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2014

"It seemed to help a bit at first, but after taking it for almost a year the positive effects seemed to have disappeared completely. If you suffer from an anxiety disorder I would seriously recommend a prescription medicine. I've recently been switched to Buspar and it works wonders and is very cheap."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2014

"I have always suffered from mild mood disorder, general anxiety, stress-induced panic attacks, mixed with ups and downs. My chiropractor mentioned L-5-HTP, so I gave it a try. Within 48 hours, I was feeling a night & day difference. Since I discovered this supplement, I take it in a cycle of a few months on and then a month off. I find that my body builds a tolerance after awhile, and I will stop and restart again with no side effects in the meantime. After taking L-5-HTP, I feel happy, calm, and my life is in perspective. Make sure you purchase the L-5-HTP, not just cheap HTP. The L-tryptophan is the active ingredient on a molecular level, with vitamin C to help your body absorb the supplement."

Kate M. November 29, 2013

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After years of trying supplements that had no appreciable effect and being adamantly opposed to taking antidepressants after researching them, I'd given up on feeling "good" and tried to accept my anxious, depressed, miserable, irritable state as my personality. But, on a whim, I gave 5-HTP a shot. And... just wow. WOW. No placebo, no question, no nonsense. 5-HTP has a very strong, STRONG positive effect on me. My mind feels cushioned and clear, my anxieties fade away, and I feel just... collected, calm, comfortable, positive, eager to laugh. It's like night and day off and on. And again, 5-HTP hits hard and immediately, but with no side effects aside from mild gastrointestinal distress."

Revelation in a bottle. March 19, 2013

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Switched from Seroquel 50mg/Prozac 20mg/ to just 50mgs of 5-HTP at night. Works okay, no side effects, improves my concentration, mood has improved, unlike the effects of mood blunting SSRI's, appetite decreased, have lost 6kgs since starting treatment. Anxiety generally at bay, still need to take a morning dose of propranolol (20mg), works well for insomnia (especially rebound insomnia associated with anti-psychotic withdrawal, am usually asleep within an hour/hour and a half of dosing, no withdrawal symptoms on cessation. Haven't felt this good in years!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I found that this medicine wasn't really that helpful."

Anonymous January 7, 2012

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources