User Reviews for 5-HTP

Headache 0 reviews 236 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of 5-HTP reviews 12 reviews 6.2

Reviews for 5-HTP

Review by JackJr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: After a shaky start, I've had a good experience with 5htp. It has helped my mornings especially. Worth noting I have taken the 5htp patch not capsules, as I hate swallowing those things!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by BigBrainTheory:

For Insomnia: I love 5-htp because it not only helps with my sleeping patterns but its definitely had a noticeable difference in me having a better, non-dreading approach to life.

March 30, 2014 2:00 AM

Review by world33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Choose a sustained/time release 5-HTP product for a smoother and longer lasting effect. Combine with a good Vitamin B complex, possibly in the biologically active form.

February 17, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: It seemed to help a bit at first, but after taking it for almost a year the positive effects seemed to have disappeared completely. If you suffer from an anxiety disorder I would seriously recommend a prescription medicine. I've recently been switched to Buspar and it works wonders and is very cheap.

January 27, 2014 10:48 AM

Review by Kate M.:

For Anxiety: I have always suffered from mild mood disorder, general anxiety, stress-induced panic attacks, mixed with ups and downs. My chiropractor mentioned L-5-HTP, so I gave it a try. Within 48 hours, I was feeling a night & day difference. Since I discovered this supplement, I take it in a cycle of a few months on and then a month off. I find that my body builds a tolerance after awhile, and I will stop and restart again with no side effects in the meantime. After taking L-5-HTP, I feel happy, calm, and my life is in perspective. Make sure you purchase the L-5-HTP, not just cheap HTP. The L-tryptophan is the active ingredient on a molecular level, with vitamin C to help your body absorb the supplement.

November 29, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by Revelation in a bottle.:

For Anxiety: After years of trying supplements that had no appreciable effect and being adamantly opposed to taking antidepressants after researching them, I'd given up on feeling "good" and tried to accept my anxious, depressed, miserable, irritable state as my personality. But, on a whim, I gave 5-HTP a shot. And... just wow. WOW. No placebo, no question, no nonsense. 5-HTP has a very strong, STRONG positive effect on me. My mind feels cushioned and clear, my anxieties fade away, and I feel just... collected, calm, comfortable, positive, eager to laugh. It's like night and day off and on. And again, 5-HTP hits hard and immediately, but with no side effects aside from mild gastrointestinal distress.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2013 6:45 AM

Review by Bug25 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Fibromyalgia: I took 5HTP for about 10 years and it kept my Fibromyalgia pain in control enough that I could work 40 to 60 hours a week again without discomfort. Unfortunately, my family doctor had me stop taking it when my blood pressure became dangerously high. I would recommend you try it, but keep a close watch on your blood pressure.

February 3, 2013 11:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Switched from Seroquel 50mg/Prozac 20mg/ to just 50mgs of 5-HTP at night. Works okay, no side effects, improves my concentration, mood has improved, unlike the effects of mood blunting SSRI's, appetite decreased, have lost 6kgs since starting treatment. Anxiety generally at bay, still need to take a morning dose of propranolol (20mg), works well for insomnia (especially rebound insomnia associated with anti-psychotic withdrawal, am usually asleep within an hour/hour and a half of dosing, no withdrawal symptoms on cessation. Haven't felt this good in years!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2012 6:28 AM

Review by WaterskiGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: Natural alternative - prescribed by my M.D. helped 'boost' effect of Lunesta when I wasn't sleeping long enough at night.

July 28, 2012 5:51 PM

For Anxiety: I found that this medicine wasn't really that helpful.

January 7, 2012 9:46 PM

For Insomnia: It works very well with my Ambien pills which have almost stopped working but can't sleep without (sounds familiar to chronic insomniacs I guess). I fall asleep amazingly fast (faster than at any time in my life) and I sleep up to 8 hours which I had forgotten about even on Ambien! I take only 50mg in late afternoon with food because I have a sensitive stomach. I wish I had tried this before.

August 11, 2011 12:04 PM

Review by KayBird:

For Fibromyalgia: Helps a ton with energy and focus. Helps a little with pain and stiffness.

June 10, 2011 10:37 PM

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources