User Reviews for 5-HTP

ADHD 0 reviews 32 medications Not rated - Be the first
Headache 0 reviews 237 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of 5-HTP reviews 18 reviews 5.6

Reviews for 5-HTP

For Anxiety "Supplements vary wildly in potency and quality from brand to brand. The way this stuff works for me is to put 50 mg of powder into a quart of water and drink it throughout the day. You do not want to get a huge spike of this stuff into your blood stream that later shoots down. I have great results for several months this way."

Hugh Johnson June 21, 2015

For Anxiety "I tried 5HTP to alleviate low mood. It gave me the most horrendous headache from day one. I cannot continue it due to this severe side effect."

New baby (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

For Anxiety "I'm taking 5-HTP with quite a few other supplements (all prescribed by a naturopathic doctor) so it's hard to say what is doing what but I added the 5-HTP after a week on the other supplements and it seemed to make a noticeable difference in my feeling of calm. I have been on every pharmaceutical AD out there plus benzodiazepines and I will tell you 5-HTP is different in a good way. If you have reached the end of the line with pharmaceuticals like I did it's worth giving supplements a try but I would recommend approaching it with a naturopathic doctor."

Snoopy2010 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2015

For Anxiety "This supplement has really worked for me! The only problem is after about a month of taking it I have started experiencing ringing in my ears and pressure headaches. But, it does boost my mood and I haven't mood swings or anxiety like before I started taking this. Also, I find I haven't been as hungry and eating as much. This supplement would be perfect if I hadn't started having the problems with my ears and the headaches."

anonymous123456780655435435765 May 14, 2015

For Insomnia "I have a love hate relationship with 5 HTP. it has definitely helped me sleep in the past but after a while I build up a tolerance. I don't like stopping and restarting because the first few days of restarting give me an upset stomach."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2015

"This drug does increase serotonin levels and made me feel quite good, so it gets an "8". It didn't work out for me because I was dumb and took it along with an Anti-D. (Do NOT do this). My appetite after starting 5-HTP was very high, and I was salivating quite a bit, which reminded me of starting Paxil or Prozac. But a few days in I got one (unusual) and reportedly rare side effect: Severe bruxism (teeth grinding). I believe I was getting a 'less severe' but still significant case of serotonin syndrome. I stopped the 5-HTP quickly. Do not take 5-HTP with Rhodiola, Saint Johns Wort, Buspirone or any anti-D Read up on Serotonin syndrome. That said, this stuff works - but don't ever combine!"

Northern_Guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

For Anxiety "I took this to try to counteract depression & anxiety. After the first dose I slept well and felt really good the next morning; I thought that, at long last, I had found an answer to my prayers. After the second dose my symptoms came back and were magnified many times. I felt so bad I worried I was going to need hospitalisation. It clearly works for some people, but for a few it produces extremely rapid and horrible effects."

Ton-toe March 31, 2015

For Anxiety "Eliminated anxiety."

asirius (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2015

For Anxiety "I took 5-HTP for depression, anxiety and insomnia and it worked like a charm for the first night. I took another one the next morning and I felt really weird and worsened my symptoms. I took another one the same night and ended up with serotonin syndrome. Be careful whilst taking this. Make sure you space out your intake as it's terrifying if it goes wrong. I didn't have to go to a hospital, however I had mood changes every 5 mins, heavy brain fog, heavy depression and suicidal thoughts. Took me around a week to clear up again. I'm scared to take another one fearing the outcome."

David.Barr February 2, 2015

For Anxiety "After a shaky start, I've had a good experience with 5htp. It has helped my mornings especially. Worth noting I have taken the 5htp patch not capsules, as I hate swallowing those things!"

JackJr (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

For Insomnia "I love 5-htp because it not only helps with my sleeping patterns but its definitely had a noticeable difference in me having a better, non-dreading approach to life. "

BigBrainTheory March 30, 2014

For Anxiety "Choose a sustained/time release 5-HTP product for a smoother and longer lasting effect. Combine with a good Vitamin B complex, possibly in the biologically active form."

world33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2014

For Anxiety "It seemed to help a bit at first, but after taking it for almost a year the positive effects seemed to have disappeared completely. If you suffer from an anxiety disorder I would seriously recommend a prescription medicine. I've recently been switched to Buspar and it works wonders and is very cheap."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2014

For Anxiety "I have always suffered from mild mood disorder, general anxiety, stress-induced panic attacks, mixed with ups and downs. My chiropractor mentioned L-5-HTP, so I gave it a try. Within 48 hours, I was feeling a night & day difference. Since I discovered this supplement, I take it in a cycle of a few months on and then a month off. I find that my body builds a tolerance after awhile, and I will stop and restart again with no side effects in the meantime. After taking L-5-HTP, I feel happy, calm, and my life is in perspective. Make sure you purchase the L-5-HTP, not just cheap HTP. The L-tryptophan is the active ingredient on a molecular level, with vitamin C to help your body absorb the supplement."

Kate M. November 29, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "After years of trying supplements that had no appreciable effect and being adamantly opposed to taking antidepressants after researching them, I'd given up on feeling "good" and tried to accept my anxious, depressed, miserable, irritable state as my personality. But, on a whim, I gave 5-HTP a shot. And... just wow. WOW. No placebo, no question, no nonsense. 5-HTP has a very strong, STRONG positive effect on me. My mind feels cushioned and clear, my anxieties fade away, and I feel just... collected, calm, comfortable, positive, eager to laugh. It's like night and day off and on. And again, 5-HTP hits hard and immediately, but with no side effects aside from mild gastrointestinal distress."

Revelation in a bottle. March 19, 2013

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I took 5HTP for about 10 years and it kept my Fibromyalgia pain in control enough that I could work 40 to 60 hours a week again without discomfort. Unfortunately, my family doctor had me stop taking it when my blood pressure became dangerously high. I would recommend you try it, but keep a close watch on your blood pressure."

Bug25 (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2013

For Anxiety "Switched from Seroquel 50mg/Prozac 20mg/ to just 50mgs of 5-HTP at night. Works okay, no side effects, improves my concentration, mood has improved, unlike the effects of mood blunting SSRI's, appetite decreased, have lost 6kgs since starting treatment. Anxiety generally at bay, still need to take a morning dose of propranolol (20mg), works well for insomnia (especially rebound insomnia associated with anti-psychotic withdrawal, am usually asleep within an hour/hour and a half of dosing, no withdrawal symptoms on cessation. Haven't felt this good in years!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Natural alternative - prescribed by my M.D. helped 'boost' effect of Lunesta when I wasn't sleeping long enough at night."

WaterskiGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2012

For Anxiety "I found that this medicine wasn't really that helpful."

Anonymous January 7, 2012

For Insomnia "It works very well with my Ambien pills which have almost stopped working but can't sleep without (sounds familiar to chronic insomniacs I guess). I fall asleep amazingly fast (faster than at any time in my life) and I sleep up to 8 hours which I had forgotten about even on Ambien! I take only 50mg in late afternoon with food because I have a sensitive stomach. I wish I had tried this before."

Anonymous August 11, 2011

For Fibromyalgia "Helps a ton with energy and focus. Helps a little with pain and stiffness."

KayBird June 10, 2011

More about 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Professional resources