Vicks DayQuil Sinus
Generic Name: acetaminophen/phenylephrine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Excedrin Sinus Headache and Vicks DayQuil Sinus
Vicks DayQuil Sinus is used for:
Relieving symptoms such as pain and sinus congestion due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vicks DayQuil Sinus is an analgesic and decongestant combination. The analgesic works in the brain to help decrease pain. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, which decreases stuffiness.
Do NOT use Vicks DayQuil Sinus if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks DayQuil Sinus
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks DayQuil Sinus:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks DayQuil Sinus. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, seizures, an overactive thyroid, severe kidney problems, or liver problems (eg, hepatitis), or if you drink 3 or more drinks with alcohol per day
- if you smoke or have a history of addiction to alcohol
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks DayQuil Sinus. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), indomethacin, isoniazid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Vicks DayQuil Sinus's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, or droxidopa because the risk of bleeding, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because its side effects may be increased by Vicks DayQuil Sinus
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Vicks DayQuil Sinus
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks DayQuil Sinus may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks DayQuil Sinus:
Use Vicks DayQuil Sinus as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vicks DayQuil Sinus by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks DayQuil Sinus, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks DayQuil Sinus.
Important safety information:
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vicks DayQuil Sinus with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you use Vicks DayQuil Sinus unless your doctor tells you to.
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus has acetaminophen and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen or a decongestant (eg, phenylephrine) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Vicks DayQuil Sinus. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Vicks DayQuil Sinus. Talk to your doctor before you take Vicks DayQuil Sinus or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vicks DayQuil Sinus before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Vicks DayQuil Sinus with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Different brands of Vicks DayQuil Sinus may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vicks DayQuil Sinus while you are pregnant. Vicks DayQuil Sinus is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks DayQuil Sinus. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vicks DayQuil Sinus, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vicks DayQuil Sinus:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; stomach pain; tremor; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Vicks DayQuil Sinus:
Store Vicks DayQuil Sinus between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks DayQuil Sinus out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks DayQuil Sinus, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks DayQuil Sinus is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vicks DayQuil Sinus or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vicks DayQuil Sinus. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vicks DayQuil Sinus. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vicks DayQuil Sinus.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.