Tolnaftate cream kit
Generic Name: tolnaftate (tole-NAF-tate)
Brand Name: Dr. Scholl's Fungal Nail Management Kit
Tolnaftate cream kit is used for:
Reducing the discoloration of a nail that has a fungal infection and for treating or preventing certain fungal infections of the skin (eg, athlete's foot). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tolnaftate cream kit is a kit containing an antifungal cream and a nail revitalizing cream. The antifungal cream works by blocking the growth of fungi. This helps to relieve the burning, itching, and cracking associated with fungal infections of the skin (eg, athlete's foot). The revitalizing cream works by reducing discoloration of the nail.
Do NOT use tolnaftate cream kit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in tolnaftate cream kit
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using tolnaftate cream kit:
Some medical conditions may interact with tolnaftate cream kit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with tolnaftate cream kit. Because little, if any, of tolnaftate cream kit is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if tolnaftate cream kit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use tolnaftate cream kit:
Use tolnaftate cream kit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tolnaftate cream kit is for external use only. Do not get tolnaftate cream kit in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash the affected area with soap and water. Be sure the area is completely dry before applying tolnaftate cream kit.
- Antifungal cream: Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected skin twice a day or as directed by your doctor. If you are using tolnaftate cream kit for athlete's foot, make sure you apply tolnaftate cream kit to the spaces between the toes. Do NOT use the antifungal cream to treat fungal infections of the scalp or nails. It is not effective for treating infections in those areas.
- Revitalizing cream for the nail: Apply enough cream to spread over the entire surface of the infected nails. Scrub the nail for at least 1 minute with the nail brush provided. Wash and dry the nail after using the cream.
- Wash the nail file with soap and water after each use. Do not allow others to use the nail file.
- Wash your hands immediately after using tolnaftate cream kit.
- Do not get tolnaftate cream kit in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- If you are using tolnaftate cream kit for athlete's foot, wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes. Change shoes and socks at least once a day.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using tolnaftate cream kit for the full course of treatment. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of tolnaftate cream kit, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use tolnaftate cream kit.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use tolnaftate cream kit for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Tolnaftate cream kit is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old unless directed by a doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed. Check with your doctor before using tolnaftate cream kit in a child younger than 2 years old.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using tolnaftate cream kit while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use tolnaftate cream kit, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of tolnaftate cream kit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of tolnaftate cream kit:
Store tolnaftate cream kit at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep tolnaftate cream kit out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about tolnaftate cream kit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tolnaftate cream kit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take tolnaftate cream kit or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about tolnaftate cream kit. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to tolnaftate cream kit. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using tolnaftate cream kit.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about tolnaftate topical
- Tolnaftate cream
- Tolnaftate powder
- Tolnaftate spray
- Tolnaftate topical
- Tolnaftate Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Other brands: Tinactin, Clarus Antifungal, Dr Scholl's Fungal Nail Management Kit, Fungi-Guard, More (13) »