Sodium bicarbonate tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: sodium bicarbonate (SO-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Sodium bicarbonate tablets is used for:
Relieving indigestion, heartburn, sour stomach, or upset stomach.
Sodium bicarbonate tablets is an antacid. It works by neutralizing stomach acid, which helps relieve upset stomach.
Do NOT use sodium bicarbonate tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in sodium bicarbonate tablets
- you have appendicitis or a blockage of your bowel
- you are on a low-salt diet
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using sodium bicarbonate tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with sodium bicarbonate tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of stomach or intestinal bleeding
- if you have congestive heart failure, edema, liver problems, kidney problems, or rectal bleeding from an unknown cause
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with sodium bicarbonate tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anorexiants (eg, phentermine) or sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine) because side effects may be increased by sodium bicarbonate tablets
- Azole antifungals (eg, fluconazole), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), lithium, or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because effectiveness may be decreased by sodium bicarbonate tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if sodium bicarbonate tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use sodium bicarbonate tablets:
Use sodium bicarbonate tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sodium bicarbonate tablets may be taken with or without food.
- If you miss taking a dose of sodium bicarbonate tablets for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use sodium bicarbonate tablets.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 2 weeks or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Use sodium bicarbonate tablets with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while using sodium bicarbonate tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using sodium bicarbonate tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if sodium bicarbonate tablets is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using sodium bicarbonate tablets, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of sodium bicarbonate tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; headache; irritability; muscle rigidity; nausea; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include alkalosis (muscle twitching or tremors, nausea, vomiting, numbness or tingling in the face or extremities, confusion possibly leading to coma); seizures.Proper storage of sodium bicarbonate tablets:
Store sodium bicarbonate tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep sodium bicarbonate tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about sodium bicarbonate tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sodium bicarbonate tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take sodium bicarbonate tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about sodium bicarbonate tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to sodium bicarbonate tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using sodium bicarbonate tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about sodium bicarbonate
- Other brands: Neut