Generic Name: ribavirin (RYE-ba-VIR-in)
Brand Name: Virazole
Sudden breathing problems have been associated with the use of ribavirin solution. Lung function will be closely monitored in patients using ribavirin solution. Contact your doctor right away if you notice your child having trouble breathing while using ribavirin solution.
Ribavirin solution should only be used in children. It is not intended for use in adults.
Ribavirin solution is used for:
Treating hospitalized infants and young children with severe lower respiratory tract infections due to respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ribavirin solution is a broad spectrum antiviral. Exactly how ribavirin solution works is not known.
Do NOT use ribavirin solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ribavirin solution
- you are pregnant or may become pregnant while using ribavirin solution
- you are taking didanosine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ribavirin solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with ribavirin solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have lung or heart problems or you are taking an immunosuppressant medicine (eg, cyclosporine)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ribavirin solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Didanosine, other nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) (eg, stavudine), or thiopurines (eg, azathioprine) because the risk of serious side effects, including nerve problems (eg, peripheral neuropathy), pancreas problems, bone marrow suppression, lactic acidosis, and sever or fatal liver failure, may be increased by ribavirin solution
- Digoxin because the risk of its side effects may be increased by ribavirin solution
- Zidovudine because its effectiveness may be decreased by ribavirin solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ribavirin solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ribavirin solution:
Use ribavirin solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ribavirin solution is administered in the hospital with a special nebulizer attached to an oxygen tent, a face mask, or a ventilator. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you have about ribavirin solution.
- Do not use ribavirin solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you miss a dose of ribavirin solution, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ribavirin solution.
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including blood cell counts, lung function, heart function, and blood pressure, may be performed while you use ribavirin solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use ribavirin solution if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking ribavirin solution.
Possible side effects of ribavirin solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Eye redness or irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; increased trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of ribavirin solution:
Ribavirin solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using ribavirin solution at home, store ribavirin solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep ribavirin solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ribavirin solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ribavirin solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ribavirin solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ribavirin solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ribavirin solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ribavirin solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ribavirin
- Ribavirin capsules
- Ribavirin (Advanced Reading)
- Ribavirin Inhalation, oral/nebulization (Advanced Reading)