Generic Name: pediatric multivitamin/minerals (MUL-ti-VYE-ta-min/MIN-er-als)
Brand Name: Examples include Cerovite Jr and Flintstones Gummies
Pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins and minerals in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and minerals to the body when you do not get enough from your diet.
Do NOT use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables:
Some medical conditions may interact with pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (eg, soy)
- if you have anemia, liver problems, metabolism problems, or phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables:
Use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables by mouth with or without food.
- Chew well before swallowing.
- If your brand of pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables contains iron, do not take an antacid within several hours before or after you take pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables.
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cefdinir, methyldopa, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take them with pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables.
- If you miss a dose of pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables unless your doctor tells you to.
- Some brands of pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables contain soy. If you are allergic to soy products, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains soy.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed. These children may also have an increased risk of choking on pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables while you are pregnant. It is not known if pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables:
Store pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pediatric multivitamin/minerals chewables.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about multivitamin with minerals
- Calcium carbonate/vitamin d/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/folic acid chewable wafers
- Calcium/folic acid/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/vitamin d
- Ferrous fumarate/folic acid/b complex/vitamin c/minerals
- Iron/vitamin b complex/vitamin c/folic acid Caplets
- Minerals with folic acid
- More (22) »