Generic Name: acetylcysteine (a-SEET-il-SIS-teen)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Mucomyst Solution is used for:
Treatment of abnormal, sticky, or thick mucus secretions in various lung problems (eg, chronic emphysema, bronchitis, asthmatic bronchitis, pneumonia, during anesthesia, following surgery or various lung tests).
Mucomyst Solution is a mucolytic. It works by thinning out mucus secretions, making them easier to move through the lungs.
Do NOT use Mucomyst Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mucomyst Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mucomyst Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mucomyst Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mucomyst Solution. However, no specific interactions with Mucomyst Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Mucomyst Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mucomyst Solution:
Use Mucomyst Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Mucomyst Solution is inhaled into the lungs using a nebulizer. Your doctor will demonstrate the proper way to use the nebulizer. Be sure to only use the nebulizer recommended by your doctor.
- If Mucomyst Solution is used with a face mask, a sticky substance may appear on the face. The stickiness can be removed by washing the face with water.
- If you miss a dose of Mucomyst Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mucomyst Solution.
Important safety information:
- A slightly unpleasant odor may be noticeable while using Mucomyst Solution.
- Mucomyst Solution may change color in the opened bottle. This is harmless.
- If your breathing does not get better or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Mucomyst Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Mucomyst Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Mucomyst Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Mucomyst Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Mucomyst Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cold, clammy skin; drowsiness; fever; inflammation of the mouth or tongue; nausea; runny nose; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); mouth sores; throat and lung irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Mucomyst Solution:
Store unopened vials of Mucomyst Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Mucomyst Solution may be contaminated once opened. Store opened vials of undiluted medicine in the refrigerator between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C) for up to 4 days. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mucomyst Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mucomyst Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mucomyst Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Mucomyst Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Mucomyst Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Mucomyst Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Mucomyst Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Mucomyst (acetylcysteine)
- Other brands: Acetadote