Hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate
Generic Name: hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate (HYE-oh-SYE-a-meen/meth-EN-a-meen/METH-i-leen/SOE-dee-um FOS-fate)
Brand Name: Examples include Urogesic Blue and Uryl
Hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate is used for:
Treating painful and irritating symptoms of the urinary tract due to urinary tract infections or diagnostic procedures.
Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate is a urinary antiseptic, urinary acidifier, and antispasmodic combination. It works by helping to kill bacteria in the urine, decreasing inflammation, and reducing muscle spasms in the urinary tract. These actions work together to help relieve discomfort while urinating.
Do NOT use hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate
- you have angle-closure glaucoma, a certain problem with your esophagus (reflux esophagitis), a blockage of your bladder, certain severe bowel problems (eg, toxic megacolon, ulcerative colitis), or myasthenia gravis
- you are taking a sulfonamide (eg, sulfamethoxazole) or a solid oral potassium product (eg, tablet)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate:
Some medical conditions may interact with hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines (including other belladonna alkaloids, such as atropine), foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, dehydration, diarrhea, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, infection, hiatal hernia)
- if you have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, gout, increased pressure in the eyes or glaucoma, risk factors for glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, or bladder problems, or if you are unable to urinate
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, an irregular heartbeat, heart blood vessel problems, or other heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure, heart valve problems)
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you are taking medicine for a mental or mood problem
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergics (eg, benztropine) because they may increase the risk of hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate's side effects
- Narcotic pain medicine (eg, codeine) or solid oral potassium products (eg, tablets) because the risk of serious side effects may be increased
- Ketoconazole, medicines for myasthenia gravis (eg, ambenonium), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole), thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because their effectiveness may be decreased by hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate:
Use hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate by mouth with or without food.
- Do not take an antacid or antidiarrheal medicine that has loperamide in it within 1 hour before or 1 hour after you take hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate.
- If you take ketoconazole, wait at least 2 hours after taking it before taking hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate.
Important safety information:
- Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate may discolor the urine or stool a blue-green color. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Use hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially agitation, confusion, drowsiness, and excitement.
- Caution is advised when using hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate while you are pregnant. Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of hyoscyamine/ methenamine/ methylene blue/ sodium phosphate:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry mouth; flushing; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; difficulty urinating; dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; shortness of breath.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate:
Store hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium phosphate.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/sodium biphosphate
- Other brands: Urogesic Blue