Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution
Generic Name: sodium phosphates (SOE-dee-um FOS-fates)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is used for:
Treating constipation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is a saline laxative. It works by pulling water from the body into the bowel, which helps to soften the stool and cause a bowel movement.
Do NOT use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution
- you have a blockage of the bowel or other severe bowel problems, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, or too much phosphate in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bowel problems (eg, blockage, colitis), slow moving bowels, or a sudden change in bowel movements lasting longer than 2 weeks
- if you have heart problems, kidney problems, low blood volume, or fluid or electrolyte problems
- if you are dehydrated or on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you are older than 55 years old
- if you have already used a laxative for more than 1 week
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), angiotensin receptor blockers (eg, losartan), diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) because the risk of kidney problems may be increased
- Other laxatives or bowel cleansing products (especially those containing sodium phosphate) because they may increase the risk of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Dilute the dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution with a full glass of cold water (8 oz [240 mL]), and then drink all of the liquid. Follow with a full glass of water (8 oz [240 mL]).
- Do not use more than 1 dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution within 24 hours.
- Do not use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution within 2 hours before or after other medicines. It may affect how other drugs work. Check with your doctor or pharmacist
- If you miss a dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution.
Important safety information:
- Rarely, severe and sometimes fatal kidney and heart problems have been reported in patients who used sodium phosphate products to treat constipation. Most of these reports occurred in patients who used a larger dose than recommended or more than 1 dose in a day. Do NOT use more than 1 dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution in 24 hours. If you do not have a bowel movement after a single dose, do not use another dose of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution or another product that contains sodium phosphate within 24 hours. Call your doctor to find out what to do.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. This may cause serious side effects.
- Do not use any other laxative products or enemas, especially those containing sodium phosphates, while you are using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution.
- You will need to take care not to become dehydrated while you are using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. Contact your doctor for instructions. Tell your doctor if you experience severe or persistent vomiting or symptoms of dehydration (eg, dizziness, headache, sluggishness, unusually dry mouth or eyes, weakness) while you are using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution or after you take it.
- Stop using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution and contact your doctor if you have rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. These symptoms may indicate a serious condition.
- Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 5 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; gas; nausea; stomach cramps.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stool; irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent stomach bloating, cramping, or pain; symptoms of kidney problems (eg, decreased urination; swelling of the ankles, feet, or legs); vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution:
Store Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Fleet Phospho-Soda Solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.